Should there be new optional seasonal bosses?

I'd personally like to see more non-optional bosses. I like the challenge of having to deal with Deerclops and Bearger and hounds. They barge into your camp if you're there when they show up. I'd like more bosses that force you to deal with them, rather than ones that you summon or awaken or assemble yourself. Feels more like surviving in the dangerous wilderness when bosses invade your camp with little warning, rather than you seeking out challenges for yourself when you feel like it.

If new seasonal camp-crashing bosses like Deerclops and Bearger showed up in year two and onward, I think that would be cool.

maybe less optional and more... survival, rn we have only two bosses who just come to player and both of them can be avoided (so as well that one could be avoided) and one of them is great lumberjack and cleaner of tentacle trap. But again to not trouble beginners, that boss could be triggered after two or three years in game (not for speedrunners)

I'd like if bosses became harder with time passed. Not just more hp, but new mechanic. Nothing special, like additional attack Feastclops have, or, idk, ability to spawn minions (for example, for Antlion, change wall to something like ants from Hamlet).

It's could be cool, but there is not necessary.

4 minutes ago, DajeKotlyar said:

I'd like if bosses became harder with time passed. Not just more hp, but new mechanic. Nothing special, like additional attack Feastclops have, or, idk, ability to spawn minions (for example, for Antlion, change wall to something like ants from Hamlet).

It's could be cool, but there is not necessary.

That would be pretty bad honestly, because all it would do is probably make semi-auto-farm setups for some bosses more complicated and give more trouble to newbies which usually don't rush bosses because they don't know how to and only try around late-game.

3 minutes ago, ALCRD said:

More active and interesting Summer boss would be nice.

Almost anything would be better than the glorified turret that Antlion is.

If only we could've got RoG dragonfly back as the summer seasonal boss instead of boring 27.5k hp thing with two attacks, one of which is minions and not an actual attack (I know that it has rage with more attacks even in DST, but let's be honest, who doesn't pan flute dfly when it enrages?).

53 minutes ago, Fill-Lips said:

I would honestly like a new spring boss that's all about electric, no boss really does anything electricy.

Ooooh that sounds actually really cool. Maybe the attacking pattern is similiar to the Quacken but instead of tentacles lightning bolts. Could be a nice miniboss.

42 minutes ago, kiwikenobi said:

I'd personally like to see more non-optional bosses. I like the challenge of having to deal with Deerclops and Bearger and hounds. They barge into your camp if you're there when they show up. I'd like more bosses that force you to deal with them, rather than ones that you summon or awaken or assemble yourself. Feels more like surviving in the dangerous wilderness when bosses invade your camp with little warning, rather than you seeking out challenges for yourself when you feel like it.

If new seasonal camp-crashing bosses like Deerclops and Bearger showed up in year two and onward, I think that would be cool.

I would love that, however new players will have a much harder time.

23 minutes ago, grumm9690 said:

That would be pretty bad honestly, because all it would do is probably make semi-auto-farm setups for some bosses more complicated and give more trouble to newbies which usually don't rush bosses because they don't know how to and only try around late-game.

I mean only for seasonal bosses, such as Deerclops, Bearger, Goose Moose and Antlion. You can only kill one (if it's not Goose Moose) per year, so they will slowly became harder.

For Goose it can be a method to relocate nest, like kill all forms and nest automatically relocate or from last form drop something to put nest wherever you want. Something like with spiders and spider queen.

57 minutes ago, LiamAshvinn001 said:

I would love that, however new players will have a much harder time.

If you think the second year is too soon, then the hypothetical new bosses could appear in the third or even fourth year, depending on how difficult you think they could be. New players probably won't get that far until they have more experience and aren't new anymore. So I think it would probably be fine.

Adding new camp-crashers to the first year would definitely make it much harder for new players, and I don't think that would be a good idea. But after they're experienced enough to start playing through the year-loop without losing the world, then I think new bosses like that would add some welcome variety and challenge.

In some MMORPGs where there are vast worlds to explore mini bosses spawn at random in different areas at times, often with the twist of having the chance of dropping some lucrative item. A similar concept could work for DST, perhaps along with clues how to track them down, in a non-predictable fashion.

(people who don't embrace randomness might start whining even more that you cannot access certain loot at all times, even though the idea with random mini boss encounters is to come across some variation randomly while exploring / traversing the world and perhaps get some fun loot out of it).

8 minutes ago, kiwikenobi said:

If you think the second year is too soon, then the hypothetical new bosses could appear in the third or even fourth year, depending on how difficult you think they could be. New players probably won't get that far until they have more experience and aren't new anymore. So I think it would probably be fine.

Adding new camp-crashers to the first year would definitely make it much harder for new players, and I don't think that would be a good idea. But after they're experienced enough to start playing through the year-loop without losing the world, then I think new bosses like that would add some welcome variety and challenge.

Third year is better yeah. Since second year it gives them more time to prepare. And then they can start getting hints through the game. Like roars in the distance and weird landmarks

1 hour ago, Captain_Rage said:

(people who don't embrace randomness might start whining even more that you cannot access certain loot at all times, even though the idea with random mini boss encounters is to come across some variation randomly while exploring / traversing the world and perhaps get some fun loot out of it).

People, who "embrace randomness", explaining that getting "fun loot" only through the decision of code that spits out random number that doesn't depend on the player in any way and can't be controlled at all is, obviously, the most fun thing humanity ever invented for gaming:

37 minutes ago, Captain_Rage said:

Yes, since we are talking about optional bonuses. If anything is boring it is obtaining mandatory items in a sandbox game that you know you have procure in order to progress without getting to choose the challenge.

What mandatory items are you talking about currently? If you mean the items that would drop from those randomized mobs, how are you "not getting to choose the challenge" if fighting that creature would be a challenge, as example, or there could be an alternate guaranteed way to find that creature, which would be challenging? And if you mean mandatory items as required for progression like CC questline or FW questline items, then how are they connected to this topic and how are they boring (besides Pearl's Pearl)?

Rather than new threats coming to you, I think it would be cooler if they were more natural in the environment. Instead of seasons as well, what if it was biome specific? 

For example, what if in the Marsh biome there was a big looming boss that had it's own sense of autonomy, would pick fights with merms and eat their drops, eat reeds every now and then. had it's own sleeping schedule etc. It wouldn't be immediately hostile towards the player, but it's mere presence would be an extreme inconvenience to gathering reeds and doing other things in the Marsh until it was killed.  Kind of like how the Tiger Shark could sometimes, albeit extremely rarely swim around in the ocean in Shipwrecked and try to eat random fish it came across. It wasn't hostile, but it created giant waves that would damage your boat, steal your food, and be an overall pain in the butt.

This would be challenging in a different way as a player would have to make the decision to sort of share natures bounty with them, or try to face off against them in a difficult challenge to get them to go away.  New players might opt NOT to fight the threat, but it would come with the consequence of having to compete for resources with it in a non-combat way. Kind of like how Splemunkeys(non shadow) are a a threat not because of their combat capabilities, but because they actively steal anything around you.

It would be a lot of work, but imagine if every biome had a possible ''natural boss'' in it, and a new one would randomly spawn every year. A player who ignores them for multiple years in a row would now be sharing their world with multiple Apex threats that steal resources.

Also give them really cool drops as well, fighting a boss should always come with a unique reward imo otherwise killing it loses a major part of its charm.

6 hours ago, grumm9690 said:

People, who "embrace randomness", explaining that getting "fun loot" only through the decision of code that spits out random number that doesn't depend on the player in any way and can't be controlled at all is, obviously, the most fun thing humanity ever invented for gaming:

randomness has been and always will be used in games, board/card/video games, you name it, randomness is what makes them function.

On 6/2/2022 at 10:05 AM, grumm9690 said:

If only we could've got RoG dragonfly back as the summer seasonal boss instead of boring 27.5k hp thing with two attacks, one of which is minions and not an actual attack (I know that it has rage with more attacks even in DST, but let's be honest, who doesn't pan flute dfly when it enrages?).

The thing with Dragonfly is that she's a way to obtain gems whenever you need them. Long fight but always worth it.

I'd love for a boss that is lethal to players but leaves everything else at peace. Every other boss that "hunts the player down" so far has been the opposite. If it wasn't for the fact that they are either directly targeting base equipment (deerclops, bearger) or indirectly causing chaos (firehounds, lord of the fruit flies) none of these bosses would ever be engaged and a danger in the first place.

Would be cool if there was something scary coming along that guarded a large hunting zone from players alone, meaning defeating the boss makes the area simply habitable.

In short, I'm at the very least tired of having to awkwardly tango monsters away from things you care about instead of it being a personal vendetta were you have to watch your own feet to survive.

Archived