Top Hat Vs. Fashion Goggles

A tip of the hat to you!  

56 members have voted

1. 1. How should the tophat and goggles be changed?

• Make the goggles more expensive
    • Nerf the goggles sanity restoration
    • Nerf the goggles durability
    • Buff the top hats sanity restoration
    • Add a sanity food effect multiplier to the tophat
    • Make the top hat synergize with magic weapons
    • Leave everything as it is
    • Other (post below)

image.png.edf2b3f07997d5e6237cbdd0f2d33ab6.pngimage.png.1504cbce3a440277f6acf9a50551735a.pngimage.png.beac0695b994fa421fc14b45441ac99a.png

With some of the changes brought in during the crafting update, the noble top hat has now been outclassed by the fashion goggles in almost every way. While both restore the same amount of sanity, the goggles are far cheaper and actually last a whole two days longer than their contemporary. 

Some might argue that this is fine enough since you'll have to craft a top hat anyway for sake of utilizing dark magic, but I still think it's a bit of a shame. While these goggles are indeed quite the fashion statement, it's a pity that something so iconic should fall by the wayside. Plus, it has all those lovely skins!

Here are a couple of ideas I could see to help alleviate the problem. Please, feel free to add some of your own below!

5 hours ago, YouKnowWho said:

Here are a couple of ideas I could see to help alleviate the problem. Please, feel free to add some of your own below!

Add a forehead slot so you can don a Top Hat and Fashion Googles simultaneously (yes, a forehead slot and not an eye one).

In all honesty I'm sorta confused why this was the specific change made to the goggles. When they were locked behind the blueprint their benefits did not match the effort needed to go through to get them, and now the opposite is sort of the case where for most people it will feel like an improvement on the tophat in most cases.

It's rare for me to outright think a small decision such as this has any significant impact on anything, however in this case I do believe it over all held back more than it really helped. With two items being so similar in functionality, the problem of oasis fishing still being unengaging and unrewarding and there being very little options in the game when it comes to hats that people would consider using over something such as a tam, I would have personally prefered a different approach for the fashion goggles.

I still respect the decision, its not easy tweaking things in ways that make everyone equally happy after all, it's just not the decision I would have personally made.

While I don't directly agree with any of the poll's suggestions, I'd love to throw my own hat into the ring with how I personally would have approached it:

Spoiler
  • Reverting the recipe unlock to fishing in the oasis.
  • Adjusting its dapperness to the level of a Tam o' Shanter.
  • Adding small insulation against warmth [-60 Insulation].
  • Adjusting/Implementing blueprint weight.
    • Blueprints of unlearned recipies are prioritized in the crumpled package's droprates.
    • This means they have a higher chance of dropping without omitting other drops entirely.
  • Moving the potted succulent recipe to be prototypable at an alchemy engine.

Keep in mind while I do feel this approach would have been better for me personally, that both bias exists and that the reason behind the decision are the developers' at the end of the day. [Not to mention that everyone has different opinions on how something could be handled, so mine isn't the one ""correct"" opinion by any means.]

20 hours ago, Cheggf said:

Many people have issue with pig skin, especially during a time when you're using a top hat instead of a tam. I think they're fine and comparable, just alternative recipes.

I experience quite the opposite, actually. Maybe it’s because I tend to play solo, but I tend to have most of my pigskin at the beginning of the game when i’ve just gone around hammering pig houses and touchstone heads.

At that point, sacrificing one measly skin out of a stack of 28 seems like a much better option than going through the trouble to fight at the minimum 2 tier-1 spider dens. Especially it means I don’t have to worry about having it wear out before I’m bothered enough to collect rabbits.

That being said, you do make a good point with the comparable recipes. Plus, from what others have pointed out, there’s the 20% rain resistance thing. I still think it’s better to use a football helmet instead, but there’s admittedly use cases where you’d want to be dry and also gaining sanity.

Maybe it’s just because I’m used to getting the goggles much later in the game that makes me see them as more powerful than they are. I don’t know

Here's a very easy fix:

Have the Top hat give slightly more sanity at dawn and night. Have the desert goggles gives slightly more sanity during the day.

Seasonal and day/night clothes are a thing irl and would give these items a bit of personality. Shrouded in the cloak of the night the top hat makes you look more mysterious and foreboding, thus increasing your dapper-ness. Reflecting the scorching heat of the sun on your cool shades is both fashionable and functional, thus increasing your dapper-ness.

Magic synergy with top hat sounds amazing. Like Wanda perk but weaker, let's say, +20% dmg to all shadow weapon. And it will be honest, if it don't work with Wanda herself.

And with cool hit animation, with can change with different skins)

But, honestly, top hat too cheap to do that. Maybe add a single nightmare fuel to recepie

7 hours ago, Terra B Welch said:

Let us combine the top hat and desert goggles into a cool steampunk looking hat, wouldn't that be cool?

That's an awesome idea, can we get a summer Tam o Shanter via a new recipe from the oasis that combines top hat and fashion goggles? 

Fun note: while playing Wendy, who already has a 0.75% sanity multiplier, wearing the goggles prevents the loss of sanity in caves, dusk, night (:

(If this applies to others, i dont know, I only played every character for a few hours each before picking Wendy)

1 hour ago, Lumine04 said:

Fun note: while playing Wendy, who already has a 0.75% sanity multiplier, wearing the goggles prevents the loss of sanity in caves, dusk, night (:

(If this applies to others, i dont know, I only played every character for a few hours each before picking Wendy)

also with top hat

On 5/17/2022 at 8:39 AM, DajeKotlyar said:

Magic synergy with top hat sounds amazing. Like Wanda perk but weaker, let's say, +20% dmg to all shadow weapon. And it will be honest, if it don't work with Wanda herself.

Same, i love that suggestion. It would give it a solid, yet not unbalanced reason to actually wear (if we disregard the obvious fashion reasons). 20%  (wanda excluded) sounds ok , until you remember wolfgang with spicy volt goat chaud-froid exists (it would give him adidtional 84 damage to his every hit). maybe 10% would be enough. or 15 as a common ground. Man, i already treat it as a feature lol - that's how well it would fit this item.

All different kinds of magic synergy with it would be cool.

Archived