Serious visual bugs on Mac OS (M1 / Intel HD)

EricKlei
  • Branch: Live Branch Version: OSX Fixed

Update: This should be fixed in the Fast Friends (U42) update, which is now live. If you are still experiencing issues please let us know.

There are some known compatibility issues between some Mac integrated GPUs and the ONI engine. You can fix this issue by adding the following launch option. This is only recommended as a last resort.

Spoiler

1. In Steam, Right-click on ONI -> Properties
  2. Under the General Tab, choose "Set Launch Options..."
  3. In the text field, add "-force-glcore" -> Click OK

image_force_glcore.png

Examples

Entire screen except UI is black.

225099987_2020-11-2023_11_36.png.00e8c10

Backwall textures are black.

1099737278_2020-11-1922_40_26.png.d2f7f0

Dig commands are displayed in the wrong location after the game auto saves.

1451822358_2021-10-3020_47_08.jpg.c429c0

Blueprints appear behind tiles after autosave.

686264299_ScreenShot2021-09-06at8_24_23P

If you encounter this issue on your Mac please reply with your Mac System Specs, a screenshot or description of what you saw, and if adding the launch option fixed it. It's also useful to know if you have an M1 and don't experience this issue.

Link to previously stickied post.

Edited by EricKlei

Steps to Reproduce

• Thanks 1

User Feedback

A developer has marked this issue as fixed. This means that the issue has been addressed in the current development build and will likely be in the next update.

Hello Eric,

I've been encountering the "Backwall textures is black." issue non-stop on a non-M1 Mac that previously didn't exhibit this issue. Two things have changed since then, but unfortunately I cannot tell you which one is the issue (since I've not been playing for a long stretch of time):

• Mergedown went live
  • That mac got upgraded to Big Sur (MacOS 11)

Here are the Mac specs:

920516711_Screenshot2022-01-12at10_31_25.png.6a23e55b344586b8ac82fca9817052e6.png

I tried the "-force-glcore" option: it did fix the issue for a while, but then resume to having a black backwall texture. It also MASSIVELY decreased performance, to the point I'd rather have a constant black backwall texture rather than play with a low FPS.

Let me know if you need additional informations or if you'd like me to test something.

P.S. : Not sure it's relevant, but I've also seen this back backwall texture on Windows in the past, but only in a specific situation: when the game was nearly out of memory because of excessive save/load cycles (and the next load would 100% crash the game).

Edited by Fradow
  • Like 1

Share this comment

funny thing is not all is black, maybe make changes for game that you use some other method like you use those what is not black

Share this comment

Additional note: the "Entire screen except UI is black." happens to me as well on the same Mac. I had forgotten about it, but it definitely happened me several times already.

It seems to only happen after load, never at the first load after starting the game but always at a subsequent load. Restarting the game is therefore an effective workaround. Re-loading the same save without restarting the game on the other hand doesn't fix the issue.

Edited by Fradow

Share this comment

I was having the dig-commands, blueprints, and map-revealed errors all after an autosave.

macOS Big Sur v11.6, M1, Memory 16gb

The workaround appears to have fixed the issue. Thanks!

Share this comment

5 hours ago, millijay said:

I was having the dig-commands, blueprints, and map-revealed errors all after an autosave.

macOS Big Sur v11.6, M1, Memory 16gb

The workaround appears to have fixed the issue. Thanks!

@millijay What is the model of your computer? For example, MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015) in Fradow's image above. You can find this information by clicking the Apple icon in the top left of your screen -> About This Mac. Thanks!

• Thanks 1

Share this comment

i still think that you doing something wrong at unity engine because menus are draw-ed

maybe just maybe there is issue with transparent

Edited by gabberworld

Share this comment

Same issues as described above. I get "ghost" task overlay that moves around as I pan the screen, ands the overlays don't show up at all. Happens every time I load a game and only resolves after the next cycle rolls over. See screenshots for issues and specs.

Screen Shot 2022-02-13 at 9.56.15 AM.png

Share this comment

Thanks for the reports. We've been collecting everyone's specifications and are trying to get our hands on a computer that's able to reproduce it.

There have been no reports of the issue happening on macOS Monterey so it's possible Apple fixed this in a graphics driver update. I'm unable to confirm that this will fix it so only try upgrading if you feel comfortable doing so. The most reported MacBook is the 2020 MacBook Pro (MacBookPro17.1) and we also have access to one but could not reproduce it but it's also running Monterey instead of Big Sur.

@DHeraud There has been one other report of a 2020 MacBook Air experiencing the same ghosting issue. Someone on the team has this exact model but we have not been able to reproduce the bug. They are on Big Sur 11.6.0.

Edited by EricKlei
Added details about most reported MacBook Pro.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this comment

On 2/13/2022 at 5:05 PM, DHeraud said:

Screenshots:

Screen Shot 2022-01-02 at 9.29.48 AM.jpg

if i remember correctly then that this type ghost started happen in one version when they upgrade something at dlc, they to fixed that in windows mode but seems like its still happen at Mac

Share this comment

Same problem of ghosting build orders. To replicate perhaps queue up some build orders - then manually save - quit to desktop - load up save and play for a bit. For me it occurs about half a cycle after loading. 

Specs:

macOS Monterey 12.2.1

MacBook Pro 16 2021 M1 Max

32GB RAM

EDIT (for extra info):

• Once a new cycle starts the problem disappears and the game goes back to normal.

• I only have the base game (no DLC's)

Oni_Ghosting_Mac_M1_Max.thumb.jpg.4b9c59470196e88c81cbfe9c00a1125c.jpg

Edited by Cat Daemon
adding more information
  • Thanks 1

Share this comment

Continuing from my previous post...

It happened again with another save and load and also half way through the cycle (you can see it's two cycles later) and wanted to show you what the edge of the map looks like when It happens. The dig build orders you can see were placed after the ghosting occurred and are instantly offset and are attached to the camera. 

Everything goes a little bit darker when it occurs.

EDIT (for extra info):

with every cycle there's a slight "stutter" at the beginning of the cycle AND at the halfway point of the cycle:

• If you load the game AFTER the half way point of the cycle it will glitch in the "stutter" at the beginning of the cycle and then fix itself at the next "stutter" which would be the half way point.

• If you load the game BEFORE the half way point of the cycle it will glitch in the "stutter" at the half way point and then fix itself at the next "stutter" which would be the beginning of the cycle.

Oni_Ghosting_Mac_M1_Max_02.thumb.jpg.b6e891f05aadee1582c67a1fdf55b6f5.jpg

Edited by Cat Daemon
extra info
  • Thanks 1

Share this comment

The "phantom copies of objects to be built" bug has happened a couple of times (not sure if it coincided with autosave). Gonna try the command line fix next time I play.

2020 M1 Macbook Air, 16GB
Monterey 12.2.1
base game, no DLC

Screen Shot 2022-03-06 at 1.00.20 AM.png

• Thanks 1

Share this comment

I'm seeing the "unrendered world"  issue on McMini 6.2 (basically identical first to screenshot in OP).

Player.log

1506335276_Screenshot2022-04-15at13_29_23.png.7f96aa1502d52359da780e05fd70304f.png

I'm just about to add the glcore switch and see how that improves things - I doing so only now because the first save after launching the game loads fine, but any subsequent loads results in black world.

EDIT: Oh, so the backwall was missing too, I just never noticed. As Fradow posted above, forcing glcore results in a MASSIVE drop in performance. I guess I'll stick with having to relaunch the game between reloads. 

Also, sometimes the graphics stop updating completely - the game runs (music keeps playing, Esc produces the pausing sound, and clicking in the centre of the screen seems to click on the buttons, but nothing in ONI's window changes). I've had this happen 3 times by now, and I think every time it happened after opening the tech tree (R) or some other full-screen ONI window (colony summary, skill tree). Don't have the logs for this (yet). The OS's window manager remains working fine after this.

Edited by myxal

Share this comment

11 hours ago, myxal said:

I'm seeing the "unrendered world"  issue on McMini 6.2 (basically identical first to screenshot in OP).

Player.log 15.36 kB · 0 downloads

1506335276_Screenshot2022-04-15at13_29_23.png.7f96aa1502d52359da780e05fd70304f.png

I'm just about to add the glcore switch and see how that improves things - I doing so only now because the first save after launching the game loads fine, but any subsequent loads results in black world.

EDIT: Oh, so the backwall was missing too, I just never noticed. As Fradow posted above, forcing glcore results in a MASSIVE drop in performance. I guess I'll stick with having to relaunch the game between reloads. 

Also, sometimes the graphics stop updating completely - the game runs (music keeps playing, Esc produces the pausing sound, and clicking in the centre of the screen seems to click on the buttons, but nothing in ONI's window changes). I've had this happen 3 times by now, and I think every time it happened after opening the tech tree (R) or some other full-screen ONI window (colony summary, skill tree). Don't have the logs for this (yet). The OS's window manager remains working fine after this.

intel graphics is not really a gaming gpu, also minimum is 4600 what is supported

Share this comment

On 4/16/2022 at 12:48 AM, gabberworld said:

intel graphics is not really a gaming gpu, also minimum is 4600 what is supported

Well, regarding system requirements... they're more what you'd call guidelines than rules. :P 

Share this comment

Both bugs I encountered (black backwall on first load, and fully black screen on any subsequent load) are fixed with Public Testing U42-506365.

Thanks for taking the time to fix those!

• Like 1

Share this comment

Changed Status to Fixed

In the Fast Friends update (U42) this fix will go live. I'm going to leave this bug report pinned for a little while longer. We really appreciate all the information and testing provided by everyone.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Big Ups 1

Share this comment

On 5/11/2022 at 4:23 AM, EricKlei said:

Changed Status to Fixed

In the Fast Friends update (U42) this fix will go live. I'm going to leave this bug report pinned for a little while longer. We really appreciate all the information and testing provided by everyone.

Only had time to run a few cycles but the update seems to have cured the issues I posted above. Great work and thanks for not neglecting us Apple folks - I'm sure we're in the minority. 

• Like 1

Share this comment

I am currently running into an issue on my MBP M1 Max 16 inch. When loading a saved game halfway through the cycle the map reveals itself and the mouse cursor stops working. I am gonna try to let the game run to see if it fixes itself half way through the cycle like has been reported.

20220528121156_1.thumb.jpg.c6fef0a5b84f138e338c6bff99fe1a61.jpg

20220528121149_1.thumb.jpg.28a1ae70aec0ecfa6b6f4385dcbe5003.jpg

Share this comment

Hello everyone, I'm also running on strange visual glitches after the Fast Friends update, namely whenever I move around the map the textures get glitched. It looks like part of the textures "lag" behind when moving. It happens on all the planets, on different saves, on the starmap and at a certain degree also on the menus and the main screen. When not moving around the game runs just fine, although some dupes get temporary glitched when running around the base.

The game was running fine before the Fast Friends update.

I'm attaching some pictures to show the issue (sorry for the poor quality, could get screenshots directly from the Mac so I have extracted frames from a video) as well as Mac's specs.

EDIT:
The issue disappears when using the "-force-glcore" launch option.

20220604_MacSpecs.png.253fac0d028706c2b41ca406a48865e0.png

20220604_VisualGlitch1.jpeg

20220604_VisualGlitch2.jpeg

20220604_VisualGlitch3.jpeg

Edited by DocShadow
Added check of launch option

Share this comment

EDIT: couldn't change a pic, got it now, please delete this post :D

Edited by DocShadow

Share this comment

On 5/28/2022 at 12:23 PM, crs117 said:

I am currently running into an issue on my MBP M1 Max 16 inch. When loading a saved game halfway through the cycle the map reveals itself and the mouse cursor stops working. I am gonna try to let the game run to see if it fixes itself half way through the cycle like has been reported.

20220528121156_1.thumb.jpg.c6fef0a5b84f138e338c6bff99fe1a61.jpg

20220528121149_1.thumb.jpg.28a1ae70aec0ecfa6b6f4385dcbe5003.jpg

Would like to state the new update seemed to fix the issues when resuming a save game. Thanks!!!

• Thanks 1

Share this comment