Poll: What changes would you like to see for Willow, if any?

Poll: What changes would you like to see for Willow, if any?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see changes to Willow?

• No, the character is perfect already
    • No, the character is fine as is
    • Yes, but only some QoL changes
    • Yes, some new mechanics would be nice
    • Yes, and I would love to see a full rework
  2. 2. Willow changes:

• [Perk] Willow lighter has infinite durability when held in hand
    • [QoL] Bernie runs to willow when he wants to "become small"
    • I don't like any of the above options
    • Something else (comment below)

Source thread is this:

Previously I asked "What character do you main?" and after, I contacted people that replied to the poll, I compiled a list of desired changes.

In this thread feel free to vote and discuss about Willow.

The problem I currently have with wi1llow is that her Bernie mechanics don't work with enlightenment. I'd ask for enlightenment interactions "either active BERNIE! when highly enlightened or a special different transpormation. Also more bernie skins please, as well as just like how the code implies, Ashley should propetly have different lines about her, not just use bernie's.

Changes to fire in general that make it more effective at killing things (including players)

willow herself is mostly fine in her current form

Give willow a change so that when willow uses fire weapons it doesn't cause the loot to burn, and a new downside that doesn't only come into play 1/4 of the year.

Let Willow be able to put out fires entirely, it's against character sure but I'll take the OOC perk for the sake of saving base for other players.
Let Bernie work in enlightened areas, please... I hate being stripped of such a good perk.
Being able to recover burnt/burning loot would be nice.
Ultimately more fire related perks... less reliance on Bernie and more fire would be very, very nice.

Maybe bring back the temperature loss when low on sanity, it was such a wonderful downside. It pushed Willow's character a lot, it gave her even more reason to start/be near fire for the sanity gain and for recovering sanity/warmth when she eventually goes insane. 
A very in-character downside that's not too strenuous to deal with. I loved it.

5 minutes ago, -Variant said:

Maybe bring back the temperature loss when low on sanity, it was such a wonderful downside. It pushed Willow's character a lot, it gave her even more reason to start/be near fire for the sanity gain and for recovering sanity/warmth when she eventually goes insane.

That's as if it was how Willow was originally designed to function.

It's a shame, because the temperature loss during winter is random, doesn't fit thematically, and only applies 1/4th of the time.

The ability to use her lighter (which I’m assuming is a magical flame..) to light Bernie on Fire for Flaming Bernie.. who will now deal Non-Spreading Magical fire Damage over Time damage to its foes.

Also the Lighter is now refillable with the very source Bernie is best at gathering Nightmare Fuel.

Other than that.. I wouldn’t want Willow to get a ton of crazy perks related to Fire, she’s not a Pyro Kinesis and if you look at all her vignettes and artwork- She’s always holding her lighter, a torch or a match…

So yeah she’s not going to suddenly start walking around with her palm held out and a floating ball of flame guiding her way.

It would be really nice if she could burn items on her inventory just like she does (or did?) in solo Don't Starve, just give her a cool animation :concern:

she is the fire started but her main perk is a teddy bear that is lost everytime you outrun him or go throw a wormhole

edit. just adding a x2 fire damage would make fire staffs deal 160 damage per use to bosses. Imagine just with that how would change her gameplay

1 hour ago, Ornge said:

you should be able to have multiple big bernies at once. that sounds really fun

This actually was a thing in the content creator build of her refresh the results were silly for the time so they changed it.(assuming it wasn't unintended) with the current power level of the characters it wouldn't be overpowered but I don't think it would match the spirit of the character.

I think fire is a mechanism with excessive destructive characteristics in DST.

A character has the ability related to fire, and I think it needs more consideration.

In contrast, the opposite (cold) freezing is a kind of control ability, which is scarce in DST.

Bernie is a partner soldier.Also have partners, and Wendy, Maxwell.But in terms of controllability, partners don't exist harmoniously in DST.

My ideas:

1) Bernie will become BERNIE! when you have less than 50% - 60% sanity. Not when you are fully insane. All shadow creatures killed by BERNIE will drop 1-2 fuel and restore sanity to Willow as if she herself killed them.

2) Enemies that got ignited by Willow's lighter will have blue flames that wont spread. All Willow's fires will deal percent of max hp damage (capped damage on bosses), Willow will deal additional damage with melee to all burning mobs (like electric damage on wet mobs). Loot will never be burnt by Willow

I know those look a little bit strong, but dont forget that we have characters like Wanda in game. Great utility, mobility, Huge damage with infinite weapon durability while being a whip.

1 minute ago, Keller Max said:

My ideas:

1) Bernie will become BERNIE! when you have less than 50% - 60% sanity. Not when you are fully insane. All shadow creatures killed by BERNIE will drop 1-2 fuel and restore sanity to Willow as if she herself killed them.

2) Enemies that got ignited by Willow's lighter will have blue flames that wont spread. All Willow's fires will deal percent of max hp damage (capped damage on bosses), Willow will deal additional damage with melee to all burning mobs (like electric damage on wet mobs). Loot will never be burnt by Willow

I know those look a little bit strong, but dont forget that we have characters like Wanda in game. Great utility, mobility, Huge damage with infinite weapon durability while being a whip.

i like these ideas(except for maybe getting sanity from Bernie's kills, might make farming nf harder) 

21 hours ago, jan Mele said:

The last to options in the first question are the same
Would you fix that?

sorry for the late edit, I have fixed that

the last option is of course the rework option

I remember playing a fair bit of Willow after her rework came out and have been wanting to get some ideas and thoughts off my chest for quite a while now. This seems like as good a time as any to finally compile them all.

Infinite lighter durability when used by Willow

This is a pretty common one that I'm pretty sure most people agree would be balanced. The lighter is only ever really used in the early game and this would give it a nice niche over the lantern.

Overheating immunity

This is a suggestion that I wanted way back before Willow's rework even came out. Isn't it just a little weird that the character who is immune to fire is still susceptible to heat stroke? This wouldn't bother me quite so much if not for the fact that WX can now achieve overheating immunity following his rework. It almost feels insulting to everyone's favorite pyromaniac, ya know?

Bernie QoL

Another common sentiment is for Willow to have some way to unsummon and pocket Bernie while he's hulked out. Personally though, I'd also love it if he had a health meter when he's active like Abagail does. Knowing when your tank is about to go down is pretty helpful. Additionally, I think that it'd be great if we could heal him with a sewing kit while he's active. That way players could save inventory space at the risk of being caught with their pants down if they don't manage to heal him in time. Also like Abagail, I really wish that we could just summon Bernie at will without having to rely on other methods to lower your sanity. It could work by using Bernie like how Wolfgang uses his dumbbells and would immediately set your sanity to zero. I know that it's not hard to just carry a few green caps around, but I think of how Woodie recently got a nice little QoL update that made his perks more easily accessible by changing his idols to no longer spoil and would really appreciate it if Willow got a similar treatment.

Minor Bernie buff

This is less a QoL and more of a straight buff, but I feel like Bernie could stand to be a little tankier. Don't get me wrong, if you're just using him to fight shadows then he does his job perfectly fine. But I feel like he often times goes down just a little too fast whenever you try to utilize him against non shadows. 2000 health seems like a lot and obviously you should be helping him and not standing around, but assuming you're the only one who's insane then he'll be taking 40-100 damage every couple seconds from shadows on top of the damage he's taking from whatever else he might be fighting. Additionally, many bosses deal double damage against other mobs, which of course includes Bernie. I think that increasing his health from 2000 to 2500 and making him exempt from taking double damage against the aforementioned bosses would go a long ways towards making him less situational.

My favorite picks are

-Loot doesn't burn for Willow (torch attack/fire staff), she knows how to handle flames.

-A new Bernie transformation or use (ability) when Willow is "enlightened"

-[Synergy] Only Willow can burn and extenguish Bernie and BERNIE! at will.

Normal Bernie will take reduced fire damage.

BERNIE! Will be immune to flame damage, giving willow warmth while fighting and not in her hands, giving BERNIE! some defence against a group of mobs and some veeeeery small amount of DPS for bosses. Loot will still turn to ash though. 

Unpopular opinion: Willow's fire perks are gimmicky and not that fun or useful to use in-game, and I am glad Klei made Bernie her new core identity mechanic, since Bernie is fun. Fire perks are really tricky to use effectively, compared to what you can do with Bernie.

Archived