WX-78 Refresh Beta Open!

4 hours ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

man, wormwood has a lot of good perks, isnt like a Winona or willow...

I think the key here is that Wormwood has it's significant downside to offset its perks, while WX has one that is quite occasional.

Another solution could be implementing downside of circuits (like in case of thermal circuit - 25% faster spoilage). It would allow high adaptation to playstyle without need to make modules hard to obtain.

So for example - speed module would make you little more fragile, but since kiting is easier with more speed it wouldn't be such a big downside. You would be just more punished if you mess up.

Edited by Losparkeros
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

i wont be agaisnt they having a real downside since right now is just wilson with personalized perks

and water should damage them not only when losing energy

That's why I think idea with modules working as a trade-off instead of straight buff could work - no modules, no harsh downsides. New players can play safer using little or no circuits (they also don't have to stress much that they don't know how to acquire them) while veterans can use them to full potential while still maintaining somewhat of a challenge.

Edited by Losparkeros
  • Like 4

19 hours ago, StevenM said:
  • WX-78's circuits are powered by their electrical charge meter. The meter restores itself over time, and can also be restored by other means.
  •  

How fast does it restore? and other than lightning what other ways can it restore?

if time and lightning are the only thing, maybe we should have craftable batteries? or maybe we can eat electrical doodads to gain some charge?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Left 4 Sharkbai said:

I think you're really overplaying it. I'm not saying that Wormwood is in an amazing spot, but the main reason for newer characters and reworks having better perks is because of well... The content being newer! Klei is ever-broadening and ever-improving with their approach to character refreshes, so it makes a ton on sense for say Wormwood, an older character originally designed for Hamlet, a singleplayer mode, or Winona (self-explanatory), compared to something like Webber or now WX. I think Wormwood should absolutely get some love, but I don't think it's entirely fair to argue that there's no point in playing him because of how much better a newly refreshed, previously very poopy character is.

The main reason I play wormwood is because he has the most beautiful character design to me <3
But the gardening rework and the fact that his perks are more related to Hamlet world, he feels so underwhelming to play :(  #PlzBuffWormwood

• Like 1

WOW adding some merm love in a robo rework? Amazing! as with the rework itself.

Really awesome guys. My 2c on it so far is maybe remove health drain from starving until WX loses all his charges and maybe increase the durability of big bad chips. Other than that, I'm really liking the rework, so simple yet so flexible with how you can play or your playstyle while still having synergy with other characters. Keep it up!

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Seero said:

How fast does it restore? and other than lightning what other ways can it restore?

if time and lightning are the only thing, maybe we should have craftable batteries? or maybe we can eat electrical doodads to gain some charge?

From what I've seen it takes a lot to restore 1 charge  and the only way to manipulate lightning is to telelocate (with the telelocator staff)  some random mobs around you... but  you're gonna make rain by doing that which kinda sucks for WX.

5 hours ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

Did wormwood got an announced rework like the other characters or did Klei just adjusted his gameplay to the gardening mechanics? I don't remember

I think the main problem is that his perks are good for others and not  for him.

He can feed everyone but can't benefit from health food

His bramble husk has high cost for a low efficient armor that deals barely no damage and protection

The only thing useful in his tab to me are the bramble traps that can mass farm shadow splumonkeys in the ruins.

There should be so many things to explore with the fertilizers he can use it on himself

I think that, as a Wolfgang player  myself that enjoy wormwood, it is so sad to not have some attack boost XD

But c'mon, how come he gets movespeed while blooming and can't have some atk modifier, Klei?! #PlzBuffWormwood

• Like 2

I think this rework is very good. I think the large degree of customization outweighs any qualms i might have about the loss of raw stats. My only real notes would be balance changes. Generally i feel he is a little undertuned. But not so much that he is a bad character. Some circuits should be a little cheaper on slots or more powerful is all. Some are perfectly fine though. The speed and stat upgrades all feel about right, and are a great baseline to judge the others from. 

i think the number of circuits is good. If any more are added, they should come with a drawback. For instance wx could have less of every stat base, but have three extra slots. (Also have a small version of the sanity and hunger mods that bring him back to baseline stats) it would add a lot of ability for customization. 100 health is a perfectly reasonable amount if you’re confident and want some extra speed or something. But the option for baseline stats is still there.

Ignoring the possibility for removing circuits for more max slots, i think there should be a single tile circuit for each stat. Pigman for hunger spider for sanity maybe. Health is nice but id like to upgrade my sanity for the first deerclops fight without taking two slots, or have a slight boost to health and hunger rather than picking health or hunger or sanity. 

As for circuits that feel underpowered i must mention the illumination circuit. I think it should cost 4 slots, five just seems like slightly too much, as it would only allow for a hardy circuit, removing any choice. As a sidenote, it is very similar in use to the moggle one. I think theres a tradeoff between picking one or the other. Either perfect nightvision, or the ability dor others to see what you see/use your light. 
The dronemaster circuit and the music circuit also seem a bit expensive. Their power is fine, but half of my slots for what isnt the most impactful regen isnt great. Id rather upgrade my sanity and health and just use normal restorative means. Which is bad considering one of these requires defeating a raid boss and using some of its loot. Not much, but one jellybean is worth more than the sum of what it heals. Its over time healing so i need to pause to heal less. I would honestly knock both down to two slots, they’re great but i dont want to feel like i have to justify using it. 

which is pretty much a theme of my complaints, its fun or good just expensive. I don’t like the feeling of needing to explain to myself why i dont just use a speed and a health upgrade.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Copyafriend said:

As for circuits that feel underpowered i must mention the illumination circuit. I think it should cost 4 slots, five just seems like slightly too much, as it would only allow for a hardy circuit, removing any choice.

It's actually 4 pins now, even though old graphics on the forum might suggest otherwise.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

That's like telling me to stop complaining about getting shot in the leg because the cripple in the wheelchair doesn't complain about his crippled legs.

If Willow mains are cool with what they got than good for them. Winona on the other hand, well nobody loves Winona.

Only Wormwood matters to me and he deserves justice. You can try and undermine my attempts to buff Wormwood how ever many time you want I'm not gonna give up. You're either with me or against me.

• Like 4

My suggestion make the chorus box upgrade allow players to add custom tracks to it, maybe limit it to the second tier? i wanna be wandering around and just hear some crazy songs coming from the wx players at base

11 minutes ago, HowlVoid said:

That's like telling me to stop complaining about getting shot in the leg because the cripple in the wheelchair doesn't complain about his crippled legs.

If Willow mains are cool with what they got than good for them. Winona on the other hand, well nobody loves Winona.

Only Wormwood matters to me and he deserves justice. You can try and undermine my attempts to buff Wormwood how ever many time you want I'm not gonna give up. You're either with me or against me.

Honestly Wormwood got shafted hard this rework, almost everything that was special about him was given to wx, aoe tending with the chorus box, free speed, free thorns, hp regen. What does wormword have now? plant seeds without hoeing, and darkswords?

• Big Ups 1

7 minutes ago, HowlVoid said:

dont get me wrong, as i said i would love improvements in his crafts and more deepness in the plant perk but after rwys he become even more interesting and one of the most fun characters overall (i might have played him just a little less than i played wurt) but you made him look like a bland character (like willow oe winona are) compared to wx when isnt the case 

the more fun wormwood becomes the better for me. With his downside, manure and blooming mechanics is already very fun, adding power not always means being funnier and more when is already a good duelist, farmer and explorer

4 minutes ago, Dwasint said:

My suggestion make the chorus box upgrade allow players to add custom tracks to it, maybe limit it to the second tier? i wanna be wandering around and just hear some crazy songs coming from the wx players at base

Honestly Wormwood got shafted hard this rework, almost everything that was special about him was given to wx, aoe tending with the chorus box, free speed, free thorns, hp regen. What does wormword have now? plant seeds without hoeing, and darkswords?

why characters cant share perks if they work in a different way?if wx is auto tending means that they lose other perk that might be better (and more when one man band exists) or speed working in a different way

• Like 1

I'd suggest using frazzled wires for anything related to circuits in this champ rework because it has 0 usage outside of gold farming and molewurm bait and if you're clearing the ruins there is an overwhelming abundance of it. My suggestion would be to remove the perk of WX being able to eat gears and instead simply replace them with frazzled wires. It's just really odd that the robot character has no interactions with already existing mechanical thingies that could be part of his own body.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

15 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

why characters cant share perks if they work in a different way?if wx is auto tending means that they lose other perk that might be better (and more when one man band exists) or speed working in a different way

i think sharing perks is fine, but when you start overlapping to many of them at once it starts to make perks feel bland, you can get basically all the spring time boost from wormwood on wx freely anytime no downsides which i don't think is really good for characters when they can just be emulated on a character without the downsides you have.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Dwasint said:

i think sharing perks is fine, but when you start overlapping to many of them at once it starts to make perks feel bland, you can get basically all the spring time boost from wormwood on wx freely anytime no downsides which i don't think is really good for characters when they can just be emulated on a character without the downsides you have.

wormwood get the speed boost almost all the year (hard in winter) for very little cost

wx not having downsides is a problem in design nothing to do with having a wide number of POSSIBLE perks (you cant add all of them at once)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Dwasint said:

Exactly. WX getting aura crop tending perk out of nowhere when we know they hate plants and theyre shown in the RWYS cinematic to be terrible at farming is completely absurd

2 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

wormwood get the speed boost almost all the year (hard in winter) for very little cost

Way more cost when compared to WX though. And exactly like you say, way more upkeep in winter specifically as well.

Edited by Ohan
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Ohan said:

Exactly. WX getting aura crop tending perk out of nowhere when we know they hate plants and theyre shown in the RWYS cinematic to be terrible at farming is completely absurd

Way more cost when compared to WX though. 

but way more easy to unlock and very cheap to maintain since you only need an easy to craft potion or a rotten fish while wx needs to go to the ruins unless they only want to have extra speed as unique perk (since the rabbit version takes all the avaraible pinnes)

and isnt out of no were when is a wagstaff invention, a inventor that makes radios and gramophones... tending plants is just a side effect of being a radio that increase sanity arround them

Edited by ArubaroBeefalo
more
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

wx not having downsides is a problem in design nothing to do with having a wide number of POSSIBLE perks (you cant add all of them at once)

except double hunger drain, while you can make the gears once on wx slot the speed and aoe tending in aswell as 75 extra hp and be done with it oh yea not to mention being a walking glommer aswell

Edited by Dwasint

5 minutes ago, Dwasint said:

except double hunger drain, while you can make the gears once on wx slot the speed and aoe tending in aswell as 75 extra hp and be done with it

isnt double hunger... it was changed in rwys update and honestly, who the hell will equip that upgrade as wx to farm??? srly  will you waste upgrades durability just to save <1 second that is needed to tend the crops with a one man band...

you all are talking like wormwood is good at farming because can tent plants when what makes him good at it is not needing to till ground. Tending is nothing

Edited by ArubaroBeefalo
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

people actually play? you all are talking like wormwood is good at farming because can tent plants when what makes him good at it is not needing to till ground. Tending is nothing

ah it was reduced to 20% still a big downside, also im talking purely about on of wormwoods core features blooming, being able to be reproduced on wx but better as you get 5% more speed and a sanity aura.

Also i barely play wormwood because i think he is poorly designed and creates a gameplay loop of just standing around being a base boy on servers with people

Edited by Dwasint

10 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

but way more easy to unlock and very cheap to maintain since you only need an easy to craft potion or a rotten fish while wx needs to go to the ruins unless they only want to have extra speed as unique perk (since the rabbit version takes all the avaraible pinnes)

Having to go to the ruins to scan a rook isn't exactly hard. You can do that as soon as you get some moggles if you want to be safe. From there on enjoy a permanent speed boost with no downsides.

Wormwood's blooming is also really inconsistent early game. You keep blooming and un-blooming the whole time. Getting enough jars to have enough speed growth formulas to stay in bloom takes a while. Even longer if you want jars for other things from pearl.

Edited by HowlVoid
  • Like 3