DST spin-off   

57 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like DST spin-off

I think DST could benefit greatly from a spin-off, it would help the characterization of the world, the survivors, the side characters ( Woby, Abigail, Pearl, Events character, characters outside of the constant ), and Charlie.

30 minutes ago, Dextops said:

so newhome

30 minutes ago, IanKSB91 said:

Uh I think Don't starve already have (or will have) a spin-off the New Home game.

Never the less I guess a spin-off could help see the constant from a different perspective.

Yes, DST new home is technically a spin-off but it is still in the game genres as DST

I want the DST spin-off to be different genres it could explore things that aren't possible with the survival game genres that DST is right now.

45 minutes ago, Waoling said:

I think DST could benefit greatly from a spin-off, it would help the characterization of the world, the survivors, the side characters ( Woby, Abigail, Pearl, Events character, characters outside of the constant ), and Charlie.

Now, I might be jumping the gun here, but somehow I feel like when you say "spin-off" what you really mean is "visual novel."

9 minutes ago, Catteflyterpill said:

Now, I might be jumping the gun here, but somehow I feel like when you say "spin-off" what you really mean is "visual novel."

It could be anything, I just want the spin-off to have more dialogue in them.

And also what wrong with DST visual noverl?

I think a DST spin-off should have its own identity not just living under the shadow of the main game, it should have its own mechanic, art style, and genres, not just DST with a slightly different mechanic and artstyle.

My version of the DST spin-off is already been explained in the DST visual novel, but to summarize, I want a DST visual novel hybrid with a turn-based strategy camp characters activity resource management, and stat system ( strength, constitution, dexterity, intelligence, charisma ),  the 3 meters, the 3 bars ( hygiene, energy, emotion ), the temperature, the wetness, the stat, and the condition ( injuries and status effect ) would determine the outcome of choice, Every chapter you can choose what character you gonna be and your action will affect the stat and relationship with other survivors it will determine your relationship and choice in the future chapter the game would have 30 chapters, this is where the replayability comes from, each end will give you new stuff to play with and you choose a specific character for each chapter and specific choice to get to the true ending.

Also, why does a lot of people hate the idea of a DST spin-off?

22 minutes ago, LinknAllie said:

NewHome was an attempt at a spinoff.  I think we should stay away from those from now on.

I think that a bad mind-set to have, New home is a free to play mobile games and it pretty decent for a free to play games, I just don't think it fair to compare a paid computer/console games to free to play mobile games, and hey it newhome is just Don't starve together extra pocket edition, not a full blown spin-off like mario kart, kirby epic yard, danganronpa ultra despair girls.

10 hours ago, Dr.Medic said:

dontstarve but turn based jrpg game, much like (insert minespatch dragonquest dontstarve crossover art)

(ears perk up)  Ooh, did I hear "turn-based jrpg" + "Don't Starve Together" being mentioned...?

dstff.png.42d19b50ba008773dccd0f18fc1a215d.png

(that's based off the original Final Fantasy, and the background is by moi, from an oldschool-style RPG a friend was making.)

This might actually be pretty viable gameplay-wise; we'd still have hit points, the ability to get hurt and die, the characters' perks could turn into special skills they can only activate under the right conditions in battle, bad things that can happen to you in-game could be status effects (overheating/freezing make you lose HP over time, like a poison mechanic, being stuck by the Ewecus's mucus could be a temporary "Paralyzed" state, Bearger yawning nearby could give everyone a Sleepy status etc.), rpgs typically have lots of settings/biomes in their worlds and so does DST; heck, we could even pull the "HA, you thought this was a fantasy game well have your last part of the adventure IN SPACE!" thing, like the "castle in the sky" in the original Final Fantasy 1 being  A MOTHERBEEPING SPACE STATION* (I freaking LOVED that when I first discovered it as a kid.  Also:  Insert ONI crossover here), or how you go to the MOON in Final Fantasy 4.   

I can see Winona as the "Cid" type who runs the airship, Wolfgang could be the Big Wise Fighting Mentor, Wigfrid is the tomboy princess (hi there, Princess Alena from Dragon Quest 4!  She's even also a readhead); Willow of course could be some type of fire-based mage, Wendy could be the creepy little girl Summoner (Rydia?)  Maybe the more-played/older characters could be the ones you find on the main questline, and the other characters could be optional ones you find during side-quests.  And we could have epic classical-mixed-with-rock style music but played with DS/T style instruments!

Yeah.  I think there's some legit potential here.

...Notorious

Spoiler

*In the REMAKES, the "Castle in the Sky" _is_ literally what you thought it was gonna be from the name--an ancient-looking, fancy crumbling stone castle in the actual clouds.  In the ORIGINAL original version, however, it's all metal and there's freaking windows in the floor you can see _stars_ through.  Considering you get there by following the directions of what's essentially a ROBOT and a freaking STAR TREK TRANSPORTER BEAM is how you arrive, the original version is one of those cases where at first you're like "WHAT?!" and then go "Hey, wait a minute...!"

2 minutes ago, minespatch said:

So Pikmen with mobs?

I was thinking more of a regular RTS where you need to construct buildings and stuff and control your army with a magic cursor, however I’d be down for an RTS where you’re playing as an actual character like pikmin or tooth and tail. I mostly just want to see armies of pigs and merms fight eachother

I mean, I've seen a lot of people try to make a tower-defense style maze of stone walls and tooth traps for the hounds, many times...only to be utterly disappointed when, instead of filing in nice and neatly through the one opening that already exists, the hounds just EAT THE GODDAMN WALLS and make their _own_ openings, so they can still (eventally) swarm you from all directions anyway.  Which is such a shame--it SEEMS like a good idea, and would look cool too!  I mean, who _doesn't_ want a nice decorative death-maze in their house?

So, considering that attempting to use trap-mazes is an impulse that _already exists_ in some DS/T players...

...Notorious

1 minute ago, Spino43 said:

Why not a Metroidvania game where Wilson Belmont goes around, whipping everything while chugging out constant bad puns :)

I'd like to see the Eets munchies franchise get some development. It's one of their earliest games.

I would ask why you would want this in the first place? Shipwrecked was going to be another game when it was first announced but then due to popular request was made a DLC for the main game. Reason for this? Splitting content. It's just always more interesting to be able to use things from one part of the game that is only really available in another. We already have multiple things available only in single player Don't Starve that are not available in DST and vice versa. Klei have occasionally updated one version of the game to include content from the other, and it's more work for them when you want to make some things available for every version of the game.

Archived