March Quality of Life Update Now Live!

29 minutes ago, ScottHansen said:
  Hide contents
Spoiler

nothing_to_see_here.png

Another non-human minion-using character? This is just silly.

Oh well, as long as the gameplay is good. Might even be a Wilson rework, idk. We'll see.

Edited by jan Mele

On one hand the Gothic Belongings look very beautiful and am very tempted to buy their pack. On the other hand I remember all the ignored bugs starting with "???" ping estimation error (that metaphorically killed a lot of personal and dedicated servers out there from players joining pov) introduced 1 year ago (and totally glossed over even after being underlined multiple times), the persistent CURL Error crashing servers en mass, also not solved, the very faulty 12 slots new KLei official servers, plagued by massive lag and crashes (don't seem to have the specs capability to handle more than 8 players), and not to forget this new Crafting UI, filters-centric (bloated with many duplicates), occupying (when open) almost 1/2 of 4:3 monitors even on smallest size, more clicks needed for every old-crafting UI action and so on - although in-tune with mobile application trends, not friendly with old/vertical scroll-centric system at all or with wide-range swift-action playstyle approach, but instead steering on the cautious side. Hmm... the "rewarding good quality all-around" dilemma when perceived personal satisfaction is not met.

Edited by x0-VERSUS-1y
  • Like 1

I was one of the first people to criticize the change of the craft ui when the Beta started and, now at the end of it, I come to thank you for the great work that Klei did in this QoL. I think you guys managed to make the changes you wanted and still make the craft ui beauty and unique. My opinion is completely different now. :wilson_ecstatic:

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Health 2

I would give the option to change the crafting menu back to the original so that whenever you feel like you want the new one you can go to the setting. It's the same like autopause for crafting menu. I don't hate it, but I found it very confusing. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Koji Karasake said:

I would give the option to change the crafting menu back to the original so that whenever you feel like you want the new one you can go to the setting. It's the same like autopause for crafting menu. I don't hate it, but I found it very confusing. 

That's not possible, because it's not just a visual change.

• Like 3
  • Big Ups 1

During the time I was writing in last "game update-X" thread (in the beta) my post it went to developer log, so I decided to copy it here:

23 hours ago, ScottHansen said:

Although the QoL update will be going live tomorrow, there are still a few things that will be added throughout the next week(s). These include: keyboard shortcuts to craft pinned recipes, adding pages for the pinned recipe bar and changing them to be stored on the profile instead of per world, a system to support crafting refined ingredients directly from the currently selected recipe, optimizations, and mod support for adding new filters.

Even though a lot of people are already satisfied with new crafting menu, I'm relieved to see intention to improve it even more after beta goes live, especially highlighted things. It may seem minor things for some people, but for me they will be a big improvement of current experience, thank you very much!

23 hours ago, ScottHansen said:

There were also a number of ideas that have been added to our backlog document, so if your idea did not make it into this QoL update, please don’t feel like your comments fell on deaf ears.

I feel like idea of pinning whole tabs may improve new crafting menu significantly, and I decided to write it here once more, since I'm not sure whether it was read and added to backlog document, lost in sea of frequently updating threads or considered unnecessary.

This could be a way to craft recipes relatively fast - a bit slower than from quick-access tab, but much faster than going through unpinned crafting - and at the same time include much more recipes than quick-access tab without switching presets. Switching presets is another action or even multiple, especially if one would need to click through all of them (like changing skins works now) instead of choosing from the table, and it could be a difference between life and death while one can't afford to spare even half a second/1-2 extra clicks (for example, when one tries to prototype a thing and kite enemy at the same time), as well as being convenient for stage of the game when one crafts a lot of different things but rarely repeats crafts while being in moderate extent of rush. It could also be a way to adapt smoothly for people familiar with old crafting system but not new one, and not being completely lost, reject it and feel like their arms are broken.

Another suggestion I would like to be seen is ability to hide crafts from and add them to existing crafting tabs. For example, I would rather memorize where is what and have only one copy of morning star in the whole crafting system rather than duplicates in weapons, light and such, I would like crock pot to be among sea-related crafts as well as in food, but I would never ever craft feather hat, breezy vest and such, so I don't need them to occupy even single slot in any of the tabs. Option to "reset to default layout" could be a way to bring back recipes hidden completely in this case. Basically, I want a way to trade extra brain work and memory capacity for faster in-game crafting or, alternatively, allow my hands to be less fast for the same result.

I also hope that ability to see recipes in presets will stay across all worlds even if in the current world player can't see them yet (weapons and armor from alchemy+ crafting tier and pseudoscience recipes, etc.). Obviously they should stay locked until player can prototype them and is near corresponsing crafting station if it's requirement for crafting, so no balance changes here.

As for really minor suggestions, it would be nice if problem in spoiler below was fixed.

Spoiler

Some skins don't hide character's underwear. I noticed it with Wanda's/Willow's underwear and toymaker's pants:

WandaUnderwear.thumb.jpg.27f917bd7065337f8d467892a3d67f11.jpg

although Wickerbottom's underwear and default character clothes are also affected by this problem.

I know we mentioned big news last week, but it needs a little more time before we can announce. Hopefully we'll be able to get it out in the next couple weeks.

Damn, now I'm even more curious.

a system to support crafting refined ingredients directly from the currently selected recipe

This is the change that I'm looking forward more for, can't wait! 

• Like 2