Walter should get the wolfgang Treatment?

21 hours ago, SecretPizzaMan said:

Elaborate.

He's saying op is trolling yall,which i have to agree after reading his responses.

This discussion thread has shifted a little too far from the discussion topic and i dont think it's productive anymore.

1 hour ago, Cheggf said:

Literally saying you use damage multipliers on butterflies 

What!?!? Using damage multipliers on butterflies? When i said such thing? I think you're not following what i'm saying

46 minutes ago, Dextops said:

no

no

no

no

no

only whenever i need a bat bat

you get the point
the best part of the argument is you chose the worst goddamn examples possible. Everything you mentioned could be farmed or is so small it isn't worth killing or is like 2 seconds

As troll as usual Dextops. Still no using armor in the game i presume?

1 hour ago, Cloakingsumo198 said:

I think combat is at least 1/3 of the game since most things are either gathering, building, or combat.

I guess exploring and learning all of the survival tools is part of the initial fun too.

Yes 100%

17 minutes ago, Milordo said:

As troll as usual Dextops. Still no using armor in the game i presume?

a lot of your examples make no sense like butterflys. that is barely combat. Everything else you mentioned isn't worth fighting is too small to be considered a fight happens once in a blue moon and/or is farmable

4 hours ago, Hornete said:

Maybe you missed it, but all that was fixed quite a while ago. I had reported the bug and provided the solution and next patch it was fixed, greatest patch of my life, :D.

Well, I think that about every patch now, but I can't choose a favourite!

was this after the first patch that said they fixed it? Cause I remember playing after that and still having this issue

I personally wouldn't mind if some of the non-reworked characters got another look into them, maybe not a full on rework but some minor things to make them more fun, engaging, or unique. At the top of my list is Wurt with all her numerous little issues and potential and second is Walter who could stand to have a tweak or two thrown his way to make him more enjoyable.

Winona would be above Walter if she wasn't already reworked, she also has alot of potential but as it stands she'll only ever be the catapult gal for me. Which is a shame since this was solidified even more after JoeW confirmed that she'll get some love later on but not in terms of a tweak or refresh but in terms of lore.

5 hours ago, Riddla said:

Puzzled about this one. Don't both Ice Staff and Freeze Rounds have exact same performance? The staff shoots fast, and the slingshot shoots slowly, albeit with x2 power. And what would you need the compactivity for? Genuinely curious, because besides Crab King and Misery Toadstool, I don't see other scenarios you'd really take advantage of that

Clockworks (especially bishops), dragonfly, koalephant, hounds, splumonkeys, beefalo, deerclops, bee queen, malbatross, just about anything really. If there's ever more than one enemy, which there can be if you're insane, or the enemy wants to keep its distance the ice staff can do a ton in making the fight easier. Holding what is effectively several ice staves in one inventory slot is great, especially since it can be refilled exactly so there's no dropping a 20% ice staff just to get a full one.

On 3/17/2022 at 1:23 AM, Milordo said:

If to proceed the game you need to fight 70% all the time, then it's a huge part of the game.

I won't debate how important combat is if going the efficiency route. No doubt combat can solve all your issues in DS/T. Yet you can "conquer" the game doing no combat whatsoever (or minimal combat if not patient enough) - you require intimate knowledge of how game operates, true. More-so as Walter, since he's at center of OP. Plenty followers is "the secret", befriended via their specific methods (Meats, Carrots, Veggies, Minerals, Gears). Plus, certainly, glitches/exploits to shorten further the process. Once more: yes, no-combat runs are possible, and that includes killing all bosses & clearing Ruins multiple times. That is if you don't consider slowing down/freezing/putting to sleep creatures and lighting-up Gunpowder active combat. Or deploying/placing/spawning Catapults, Mob Spawners, and Tentacles.

If all Seasons' Survival and/or indefinitely is your "win" condition too, clearly no-combat runs are simple even for bulk player-base with minimal-to-moderate knowledge (should you want comedy/entertainment, check Salty Suga aka SugaWolf DS/T content - he's very noobish but quite amusing and can survive all in-game year via minimal combat/no combat, hence my point).

Another aspect that needed postulation from the very start regarding Walter: by no means he's a character for bulk player-base; he's a difficult one, needing game knowledge and experience. If players went at him expecting easy game-play.. "that ain't it, chief". Only passive, no combat/no damage-taken DST rounds would give such leeway if knowledge/experience are lacking. Of course, would be good if Walter got certain buffs in future, but his Sanity con upon taken-damage is unique and should be left as-is.

9 hours ago, DarkPulse91 said:

was this after the first patch that said they fixed it? Cause I remember playing after that and still having this issue

No.

I dont know what else to tell you, but I can say confidently its fixed, I've played Walter numerous times and never ran into the issue again.

On 3/16/2022 at 7:07 AM, Wonz said:

No idea how to make slingshot good

this can be solved so easily by makin his attack speed faster while ridin Woby [and just woby cuz beefs literally removes away the challange of playin as him]

the slingshot stinks literally, not cuz poop pelts  but due the fact even a spear can do more damage than his main and unicque weapon, what is a shame

I think having a slingshot buff while riding Woby is a good idea just to give more incentive to transform Woby outside of just "go fast". Also, not really a buff but maybe some way to tell how long Woby has before turning puppy because I know I overfeed him just to be safe a lot :dog:. Mayhaps also letting transformed Woby carry a lantern... Also getting out of the way when I'm trying to plow my farms!!

17 hours ago, MrSoratori said:

the slingshot stinks literally, not cuz poop pelts  but due the fact even a spear can do more damage than his main and unicque weapon, what is a shame

Poop pelts do stink though. Remove group mob aggro!! I feel like Walter is supposed to be more of a support type character and that's one of the things that drives me crazy. I don't see a point of building them! Maybe there is a reason and someone may enlighten me :angel:

i suggested some changes to walter on the suggestions board, mainly leaning into his explorer and range fighter, give him a free compass he can use to craft cheap maps for everyone else using papyrus and charcoal for example and i wish his firerate were higher, fast mobs can really get to him before he even shoot

option would include reducing his HP to 75 to make him very frail and focus on his avoid combat style then increase his attack speed with slightshot, or at least make it so if he isnt riding woby he shot faster, so it be like he can aim faster while on ground but takes him longer while on woby

30 minutes ago, chincer said:

..option would include reducing his HP to 75 to make him very frail and focus on his avoid combat style..

That would "break the kneecap" of an already hard character (Wes 2.0, but harder). Coupled with his Sanity-drain-upon-taken-Damage con, will make even advanced players stay clear of him mostly because if hit, even once during a boss fight.. he will probably be dead by the 2 additional-danger Terrorbeaks spawning on him. It will require a never-be-hit-or-else strategy too demanding in relation to theoretical fun game-play aspect each character has/is supposed to have.

51 minutes ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

That would "break the kneecap" of an already hard character (Wes 2.0, but harder). Coupled with his Sanity-drain-upon-taken-Damage con, will make even advanced players stay clear of him mostly because if hit, even once during a boss fight.. he will probably be dead by the 2 additional-danger Terrorbeaks spawning on him. It will require a never-be-hit-or-else strategy too demanding in relation to theoretical fun game-play aspect each character has/is supposed to have.

if he slightshot didnt have such a massive delay on shooting he would easily kite most mobs and bosses and not get hit whatsover, imagine shooting twice as fast as he does now, there is no way most mobs will reach you, i just suggest it as balancing, since increasing his DPS would make him very powerful, range damage so fast with virtually no risk against many bosses 

I'd personally just flesh out walter's slingshot as a support option a bit, adjust his bee allergy and other than that I guess I don't know what else to add since I personally am really not a fan of walter.
He feels sorta uninspired and boring to me, but I won't let that stop anyone from playing him.

That might just be because I primarily play solo but I just don't find his kit all that good in general and what little he does bring to the table I generally already have at my disposal without too many issues, this goes especially for later on in a world's life.
He's almost definitely more fun in multiplayer since he can help out the team in combat for example, but on his own I'm not very stoked to be playing him.

For the bee allergy specifically it might be interesting if he would take the extra damage slowly over time, with intensity increasing the more bee damage he is to take over all.

So for example if he gets stung for 10 bonus damage, he would receive maybe 1 damage every 5 seconds or so, where as if he were to receive 100 bonus damage in total, he might take damage at a rate of 10/5sec at first, but this decreases over time until the 1/5sec threshhold is reached again.

This would still be super dangerous for him especially during the beequeen fight, but might just help alleviate a lot of the stress.
And if this would still be a bit much, there could be a mechanic of lowering incoming allergy damage by applying a healing item (not foods, specifically the items since those are medicine). So for example when taking a healing salve with 100 incoming allergy damage, the incoming damage would be reduced by 20 on top of the 20 health restored by the salve to his health directly.

On 3/17/2022 at 7:59 PM, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

I won't debate how important combat is if going the efficiency route. No doubt combat can solve all your issues in DS/T. Yet you can "conquer" the game doing no combat whatsoever (or minimal combat if not patient enough) - you require intimate knowledge of how game operates, true. More-so as Walter, since he's at center of OP. Plenty followers is "the secret", befriended via their specific methods (Meats, Carrots, Veggies, Minerals, Gears). Plus, certainly, glitches/exploits to shorten further the process. Once more: yes, no-combat runs are possible, and that includes killing all bosses & clearing Ruins multiple times. That is if you don't consider slowing down/freezing/putting to sleep creatures and lighting-up Gunpowder active combat. Or deploying/placing/spawning Catapults, Mob Spawners, and Tentacles.

In the context of this thread good = efficient, yet no one said what the win condition of this sandbox game is...

His slingshot is good for everyday combat since he practically always gets first strike when engaging along with 2-3 more pot shots.

I use it like a combo tool, a fight opener, for ranged mobs, for mobs that kite, for mobs that run away, for mobs attacking other people... With the extended range it's way easier to start and manipulate mob agroe.

It's also pretty good at fighting shadow nightmares since they teleport away letting you land more shots.

For bosses tho just ditch it and fight normally it ain't worth tickling the bosses to death slowly enless you're cheesing it.

I don't use woby for combat because she sucks lol she doesn't have a melee capability for when mobs already get too close and she gets scared easily knocking you off and getting you mauled. Not worth the trouble.

That being said if you want to kill a boss quickly Wanda or Wolfgang are still way faster and efficient.

And with everyday combat Wanda is also way faster and efficient since she hits like a truck and with her extended melee range ending many mobs before they reach her.

But Walter isn't meant to be like Wanda or Wolfgang so I keep failing to see how that makes Walter bad.

I wish Walter had some QuickDraw mechanic to promote combing the slingshot, slingshot kiting, and slingshot freeze/slowdowns. His slingshot rounds also definitely need some tweaks.

Some way to fire faster is definitely needed because it's overall dps is lacking. Perhaps new slingshots or a ramp up when constantly firing?

But it's definitely overblown with how many people hate Walter.

The targeting on his slingshot takes way too long, and when mixed with how close you have to actually be makes it really difficult to use the slingshot in actual combat, outside of fighting 1 single nightmare creature or getting the attention of an otherwise passive mob.

Maybe it is server lag or something but every time I try fighting something with the slingshot, it take so long to actually start firing, and you have to be pretty close to actually shoot at them, that the series of the fight ends up going like as follows:

1. Position yourself 2 steps away from the mob
  2. Pull back your slingshot
  3. Hold that pose for a full second
  4. Fire one pebble
  5. Oh **** the mob took a single step and is now able to hit me
  6. Run away
  7. Repeat steps 1-6 until either you or the mob is dead
  8. Congrats, that single frog can't terrorize anyone anymore

I'm not able to test it right now, but I don't remember using blowdarts being nearly as bad as the slingshot. Would it be terribly overpowered if they functioned exactly the same, just with Walter's slingshot doing it's respective damage?

1 hour ago, Dr. Safety said:

The targeting on his slingshot takes way too long, and when mixed with how close you have to actually be makes it really difficult to use the slingshot in actual combat, outside of fighting 1 single nightmare creature or getting the attention of an otherwise passive mob.

Maybe it is server lag or something but every time I try fighting something with the slingshot, it take so long to actually start firing, and you have to be pretty close to actually shoot at them, that the series of the fight ends up going like as follows:

1. Position yourself 2 steps away from the mob
  2. Pull back your slingshot
  3. Hold that pose for a full second
  4. Fire one pebble
  5. Oh **** the mob took a single step and is now able to hit me
  6. Run away
  7. Repeat steps 1-6 until either you or the mob is dead
  8. Congrats, that single frog can't terrorize anyone anymore

I'm not able to test it right now, but I don't remember using blowdarts being nearly as bad as the slingshot. Would it be terribly overpowered if they functioned exactly the same, just with Walter's slingshot doing it's respective damage?

thats very much it, against anything that move faster than a spider walters supposedly main weapon is useless, you dont see wanda having to use anything but her clock, why bother making a "range" character if his slight-shot isn't going to be his preferred style

walter doesnt need to do more damage he just needs to have much less delay when shooting so mobs cant get to him before he even fire

I've always found Walter's perks and downsides to be too random, myself. It's why I never use him. He's just to confusing and annoying to use. The slingshot is nice and all, but why does he have an automatic Chester+Beefalo? And don't even get me started on his sanity. You take one bad hit and you're insane. If I wanted to be insane, I'd go insane willingly. But it's too easy to go insane as him. I love fuel as much as anyone else, but I love colors.

Edit: RIP necropost pls don't ice me

Archived