Walter should get the wolfgang Treatment?

45 minutes ago, Riddla said:

Maybe it's fun for people to play ranged combat in multiplayer while their friends are going melee.

I would love be that guy, but... his slingshot is just garbage.

My friends talk: can u help us kill this boss or will continue throw garbage at him every minute and run around like a chicken?

If his slingshot was powered, and fast, everybody would enjoy. Now, he is just a butterfly killer with another Chester. Not fun for me

21 minutes ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

Nothing fancy as particular strat for Walter in this case: classic kite pattern, no Pellets involved

See.  A suposed ranged combat character and you make dark swords, hambats, thulecite club, bone armors, and let his slingshot in trashcan.

Sorry, guy. But you are not a "Walter main". You are just a Wilson main with different skin and don't realize it.

8 minutes ago, Cannoli said:

See.  A suposed ranged combat character and you make dark swords, hambats, thulecite club, bone armors, and let his slingshot in trashcan.

Sorry, guy. But you are not a "Walter main". You are a Wilson main with different skin, just it.

You could try to use only snipe if having good connection or playing personal server (0 lag) - but will be a very long fight with a lot of gimmicks needed: sleeping/freezing DF often, penning all Lava Ponds, you'll need to not be hit even once if running on Woby, else you'll sap your sanity hard and be prone to at lest 2 hits from DF during obligatory "picking oneself up" animation and so on. And it would be very inefficient to go the sniping route during this fight (if not using the mobs-blocking cheat that is - and even so will be very time-consuming anyway). Its a logical choice to go around his con in this particular manner & fight. Also you aren't "Wilson main with different skin" since Walter's penalty is still there when being hit. But I get you really dislike this character with his current iteration and that's ok. Being a "X character-main" doesn't necessitate one using exclusively their particularities, but case-by-case scenarios and taking efficiency into account.

10 minutes ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

Being a "X character-main" doesn't necessitate one using exclusively their particularities, but case-by-case scenarios and taking efficiency into account.

Oh, ok. I forgot you bring a second Chester.

Sorry guy, You are just a Wilson main and don't realize it. Tks

19 hours ago, SinancoTheBest said:

That part, at least, is factually wrong, not even close. That honor belongs to Wes. Walter often finds himself comfortably in the middle.image.thumb.png.5e766c41618d57b603fe1dc6d00d129f.png

Look all those filthy Wendy mains...

Impressed to see Wolfgang finally get some recognition.   

4 hours ago, Milordo said:

Look all those filthy Wendy mains...

Yep. This game should be named Don't Starve with Wendy.

Unfortunately Klei never will undo the terrible idea that was Abigail. And for that reason I like play just solo worlds or with one or two friends.

I really hate see that ghost for noobs flying in every world. 

8 hours ago, Riddla said:

I feel that characters like Walter are more for the fun factor, rather than how "effective" or "viable" the character is end-game. Remember: different people, different skill, different playstyle preferences. Some love Walter for that extra challenge he brings, which forces people to take kiting very seriously, or they'll lose tons of sanity. Maybe it's fun for people to play ranged combat in multiplayer while their friends are going melee. I don't think everyone should compete with, let's say, Wolfgang's and Wanda's DPS potential, or that'll just be dull and boring playing different versions of "Wilson but MORE damage". I do agree that Walter needs some number buffs though to shine better.

Why does everyone think combat is a huge part of this game which has no mandatory fights and all the fights can be beaten without raising a finger? Especially with you saying it's endgame where you've probably already automated the killings of all the bosses, who's drops you don't even need.

Walter has a big speed boost, a large inventory size bonus (just look at how many people don't know how to manage their inventory and ask for clothes to get pockets since they refuse to unequip their backpacks), easy health and sanity restoration on the go, very easy sanity management outside of a few situations, an ice staff that stacks a lot better than actual ice staves, and some other things too.

He is "viable" and "effective", especially if you're comparing him to Wolfgang.

2 hours ago, Cheggf said:

Why does everyone think combat is a huge part of this game which has no mandatory fights and all the fights can be beaten without raising a finger? Especially with you saying it's endgame where you've probably already automated the killings of all the bosses, who's drops you don't even need.

Walter has a big speed boost, a large inventory size bonus (just look at how many people don't know how to manage their inventory and ask for clothes to get pockets since they refuse to unequip their backpacks), easy health and sanity restoration on the go, very easy sanity management outside of a few situations, an ice staff that stacks a lot better than actual ice staves, and some other things too.

He is "viable" and "effective", especially if you're comparing him to Wolfgang.

Combat is a huge part of the game if you're wishing to progress though, which is why there are always a lot of debates on which characters are "better" than others due to all of those convenient perks. Don't get me wrong though, I am on the side of underrated characters, they're all unique and fun in their own ways, it's more that I am trying to talk from perspective of many players who tend to only take combat perks as something valuable.

id say what walter needs is a woby rework. for being half of his character, woby makes it so damn difficult. With how woby will constantly run away and make every task involving them extremely difficult. Like how if you hop off of woby to open her inventory, she will just run away, and if you chase her, she will just keep running. No need to be near an enemy for it to happen either. even better when she runs into the dark with your light source

2 hours ago, Cheggf said:

Why does everyone think combat is a huge part of this game which has no mandatory fights and all the fights can be beaten without raising a finger?

If to proceed the game you need to fight 70% all the time, then it's a huge part of the game. We don't make the rules, nor do i. I would have changed so much things to reinforce other aspects of the game such as enviroments hazards, farming, building, ecc...

1 minute ago, Riddla said:

Combat is a huge part of the game if you're wishing to progress though,

No it's not. Even if you are fighting things instead of killing them in other ways or avoiding them (you do not need to kill things to progress) the amount of time you spend fighting things is puny compared to the amount of time you spend not fighting things. Damage multiplier perks are good but not nearly as good as other perks like movement speed, inventory size, or unique abilities. Walter has 2 or 3 of those.

6 minutes ago, Riddla said:

Don't get me wrong though, I am on the side of underrated characters, they're all unique and fun in their own ways, it's more that I am trying to talk from perspective of many players who tend to only take combat perks as something valuable

I think it's more constructive to point out to them that more perks exist than just combat perks instead of trying to dodge the point and pretend like they're right that the character is bad but it doesn't matter because he's fun.

Walter is fun and he's good.

Just now, Milordo said:

If to proceed the game you need to fight 70% all the time, then it's a huge part of the game. We don't make the rules, nor do i. I would have changed so much things to reinforce other aspects of the game such as enviroments hazards, farming, building, ecc...

it really isn't. 70%? more like 10%. Most bosses aren't worth killing and the ones are are killed once in a blue moon and/or are easy or cheesable. It is really such a small part of the game i don't see why almost all new characters have some combat related perk to them when it is usually very niche, and much less an entire character specialized around it

Just now, Cheggf said:

Damage multiplier perks are good but not nearly as good as other perks like movement speed, inventory size, or unique abilities. Walter has 2 or 3 of those.

i'd say it is nearing uselessness a lot of the time. Like especially for boss fights where it matters the most saving 2 minutes every 20 days is barely a time save to make it noticeable 

2 minutes ago, Dextops said:

it really isn't. 70%? more like 10%. Most bosses aren't worth killing and the ones are are killed once in a blue moon and/or are easy or cheesable. It is really such a small part of the game i don't see why almost all new characters have some combat related perk to them when it is usually very niche, and much less an entire character specialized around it

You can go up with that %, it's 70%. 65% if we want to decrease it a little. This game is not a boss rush, i don't know why you picked only boss fights in the count. And what you mean with "cheesable" ? What sort of cheese? Exploits? Exploits are not countable, because for sure normal and new players don't know how to "cheese" and make easier the bossfights. Yes, some of them are skippable like Toadstool but people want to play the game and enjoy it, so they will still meet him and try to defeat it. 

And we're talking only about boss fights, in even a short brief summary. We're not talking about normal enemies and such. A lot of items and important ones come from them, locked behind a fight. Sure you can farm them and having interesting methods on how to kill them, but it's incredible how you and Cheggf are going against this aspect, when 90% of the experience is always being prepared with a weapon and armor to kill something that want to kills you.

Not everybody know already 100% of the game and abuse mechanics. 

I'm really interested in seeing your gameplay if you're spending 70% of the time fighting. What are you doing to do that? Do you just fight bosses off cool down and whenever there's no bosses to fight you farm spiders for no reason and add to the 8,000 silk you already have and will never use?

1 minute ago, Milordo said:

And we're talking only about boss fights, in even a short brief summary. We're not talking about normal enemies and such. A lot of items and important ones come from them, locked behind a fight. Sure you can farm them and having interesting methods on how to kill them, but it's incredible how you and Cheggf are going against this aspect, when 90% of the experience is always being prepared with a weapon and armor to kill something that want to kills you.

Not everybody know already 100% of the game and abuse mechanics. 

my best response to this is
ok and?

i don't get why most people not knowing the game should prove that it is most of the game. I said boss combat in reply to dmg multipliers and it is the most substantial combat because all other combat is non existent. You barely need to fight. I really can't think of a good reason for cheese/exploits to not be counted other than someones personal philosophy which should not be counted in an objective matter like this. i don't get where you are coming up with these numbers if most mobs that you should kill are easily farmed and any that aren't can be ran away from and save the time from it

26 minutes ago, DarkPulse91 said:

id say what walter needs is a woby rework. for being half of his character, woby makes it so damn difficult. With how woby will constantly run away and make every task involving them extremely difficult. Like how if you hop off of woby to open her inventory, she will just run away, and if you chase her, she will just keep running. No need to be near an enemy for it to happen either. even better when she runs into the dark with your light source

Maybe you missed it, but all that was fixed quite a while ago. I had reported the bug and provided the solution and next patch it was fixed, greatest patch of my life, :D.

Well, I think that about every patch now, but I can't choose a favourite!

23 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

No it's not. Even if you are fighting things instead of killing them in other ways or avoiding them (you do not need to kill things to progress) the amount of time you spend fighting things is puny compared to the amount of time you spend not fighting things. Damage multiplier perks are good but not nearly as good as other perks like movement speed, inventory size, or unique abilities. Walter has 2 or 3 of those.

Yes, these perks are incredibly convenient, I am not saying otherwise. A lot of time is spent on preparation for combat, rather than combat itself, it's all up to player's experience to utilize the perks. Damage multiplier is not to be overlooked however, because usually, x2 damage also means half less resources needed for the fight, which means less time spent on gathering them. Walter is an amazing explorer, but he is hard to play as, you need to know how to kite well in the first place, and fighting is one of the most worrisome things people are concerned about - just look at the amount of Wendies and Wigfrids!

29 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

I think it's more constructive to point out to them that more perks exist than just combat perks instead of trying to dodge the point and pretend like they're right that the character is bad but it doesn't matter because he's fun.

Walter is fun and he's good.

The character is not bad, but he needs more. His performance with slingshot is underwhelming.

9 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

I'm really interested in seeing your gameplay if you're spending 70% of the time fighting. What are you doing to do that? Do you just fight bosses off cool down and whenever there's no bosses to fight you farm spiders for no reason and add to the 8,000 silk you already have and will never use?

7 minutes ago, Dextops said:

my best response to this is
ok and?

i don't get why most people not knowing the game should prove that it is most of the game. I said boss combat in reply to dmg multipliers and it is the most substantial combat because all other combat is non existent. You barely need to fight. I really can't think of a good reason for cheese/exploits to not be counted other than someones personal philosophy which should not be counted in an objective matter like this. i don't get where you are coming up with these numbers if most mobs that you should kill are easily farmed and any that aren't can be ran away from and save the time from it

So you don't fight Spiders, Bees, Butterflies, Birds, Tentacles, Hounds, Batilisks, Shadow Creatures, Pigmens, Bunnymens, All 3 clockworks, Depths Worms, Frogs, Lureplants, Werepigs, Snurtles if you find them, Shadow Splumonkes, Catcoons, Moleworms, Poison Birchnut trees, Moslings, Volt goats, Cookie cutters, some mutated horrors, some Skittersquids, Mush Gnomes and the most 14 (16) needed bosses in the game???

I agree about people who don't know the game. That was a weak point.

11 minutes ago, Riddla said:

Yes, these perks are incredibly convenient, I am not saying otherwise. A lot of time is spent on preparation for combat, rather than combat itself, it's all up to player's experience to utilize the perks. Damage multiplier is not to be overlooked however, because usually, x2 damage also means half less resources needed for the fight, which means less time spent on gathering them. Walter is an amazing explorer, but he is hard to play as, you need to know how to kite well in the first place, and fighting is one of the most worrisome things people are concerned about - just look at the amount of Wendies and Wigfrids!

"Good" and "easy" are not synonymous. Wormwood and Warly are some of the best characters in the game and they're harder to play than average, not easier.

If instead of saying Walter wasn't viable or effective you said he was hard that would make a lot more sense.

11 minutes ago, Riddla said:

The character is not bad, but he needs more. His performance with slingshot is underwhelming.

How is an ice staff that stacks super compactly underwhelming? It's very useful in many situations, and that's only one of his ammo types. Maybe slowdown rounds could be AoE and poop pellets could be improved a bit but the slingshot is great.

4 minutes ago, Milordo said:

So you don't fight Spiders, Bees, Butterflies, Birds, Tentacles, Hounds, Batilisks, Shadow Creatures, Pigmens, Bunnymens, All 3 clockworks, Depths Worms, Frogs, Lureplants, Werepigs, Snurtles if you find them, Shadow Splumonkes, Catcoons, Moleworms, Poison Birchnut trees, Moslings, Volt goats, Cookie cutters, some mutated horrors, some Skittersquids, Mush Gnomes and the most 14 (16) needed bosses in the game???

I agree about people who don't know the game. That was a weak point.

Literally saying you use damage multipliers on butterflies 

Just now, Cheggf said:

Literally saying you use combat perks on butterflies

Wendy with riled Abigail and bored Walter with pebbles:image.thumb.png.72efcef6ede1475217b6792bd4a8443f.png

I think combat is at least 1/3 of the game since most things are either gathering, building, or combat.

I guess exploring and learning all of the survival tools is part of the initial fun too.

4 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

How is an ice staff that stacks super compactly underwhelming? It's very useful in many situations, and that's only one of his ammo types.

Puzzled about this one. Don't both Ice Staff and Freeze Rounds have exact same performance? The staff shoots fast, and the slingshot shoots slowly, albeit with x2 power. And what would you need the compactivity for? Genuinely curious, because besides Crab King and Misery Toadstool, I don't see other scenarios you'd really take advantage of that

22 minutes ago, Milordo said:

Spiders,

no

22 minutes ago, Milordo said:

Bees

no

23 minutes ago, Milordo said:

Birds

no

24 minutes ago, Milordo said:

Tentacles

no

Hounds

no

Batilisks

only whenever i need a bat bat

Shadow Creatures

you get the point
the best part of the argument is you chose the worst goddamn examples possible. Everything you mentioned could be farmed or is so small it isn't worth killing or is like 2 seconds

Archived