Walter should get the wolfgang Treatment?

2 hours ago, Cannoli said:

Well, I think Walter sucks.

His slingshot is the worst weapon of the game in cost x benefits and Woby, well, is Woby. 

He doesn't have a real advantage vs any other character with a tamed beefalo.

Maybe buff (A LOT) his slingshot (power and velocity), or turn Woby a Beefalo with 1000hp... Than this guy will play the game. I see more Wes than Walters in game.

he has the best starting speedboost out of any character which is enough to get him high up there

and also a starting chester

1 hour ago, ShadowDuelist said:

Holy molly, Wendy sure kept gaining popularity since the last time I checked this chart. She's like the default "go to" for most people apparently.

Back on OP's topic, I won't add more than what was said, Walter's alright except for his slingshot: tweaking magic pellets, shooting speed and adding new types would really help.
About the bee allergy, could maybe be fixed by making him immune to the extra damage so long as he uses a bee hat. (So it would still be a thing but you have a way to counter it at least, and fight BQ in a legit way).

she is a very strong and safe character if you're not doing bosses, abigail will carry you through all regular content and kill hound waves. also great in groups to rush bq so that more people can get wraps faster

2 minutes ago, Dextops said:

if you prioritize it is the key word. with having it right away you wouldn't need to

if you prioritize it, you get it by day 2, if you dont, day 3 or 4. Not that much of an impact either way. 

1 minute ago, reallychina said:

she is a very strong and safe character if you're not doing bosses, abigail will carry you through all regular content and kill hound waves. also great in groups to rush bq so that more people can get wraps faster

if you prioritize it, you get it by day 2, if you dont, day 3 or 4. Not that much of an impact either way. 

yeah but still you start with it and it stacks you aren't exclusive to either or

maybe the slingshot could work:

1) by holding the atack buttom to control damage and fire rate speed. So if you spam the buttom you get a weaker atack but way faster that the one we have and, if you hold, you stand still for few time but shot a powerful hit

2) skillshot.  Instead of pressing F to automatically hit the closest enemy you need to aim (like dart's special atack in the forge) in that way you can even hit enemies that move and, otherwise, you will miss with the current system

3) just dont change anything about it but increasing the rate speed to make it worth

i prefer something like 1) or 2) since are deeper fighting systems than just "press F and it damages enemies" but just increasing the atack speed will make the slingshot less niche

6 hours ago, Cannoli said:

So... Chester.

yeah if you find chest you get the same amount of spaces, but with walter you can have chester from the start, invencible and basically have double chester

Everybody can get beefalo speed around day 3-5 (with a 1000hp tank)

yeah but you need to give it twigs constantly, and in some worlds it get somewhat difficult to find a lot of twigs
with woby you can just farm monster meat with spiders or hounds

Well, sanity drain is not an issue

It is if you are in the ruins or against too many mobs at the time

4 minutes ago, Crabot said:

yeah if you find chest you get the same amount of spaces, but with walter you can have chester from the start, invencible and basically have double chester

And a character with a poor fight range, and worse melee. Congrats for me!

But, I can stock 720 rocks in  my two chesters, make a lot of ammo and kill butterfies. So fun! Hehe

Just now, Cannoli said:

And a character with a poor fight range, and worse melee.

wdym by fight range
and how does he have worse melee? if you are talking about the sanity drain, you can just use pierogi and food that restores sanity like green mushrooms, or just learn to kite lmao

7 minutes ago, minespatch said:

Why is Wendy trending so huge? Is it due to people using Abigail as a shield?

It's very easy to use and abigail is very useful for getting food and for fighting the almost worst boss (bee queen)

34 minutes ago, minespatch said:

She's extremely easy and extremely powerful. You can literally just do nothing and watch Abigail fight most things on your behalf.

Bee allergy is dumb, that's the worst downside we have no fun in it and no way to get around without ocean of pain what would be avoiding bees on woby to just snipe queen with marbles for DAYS.

The sanity loss on hit is manageable while wearing body armor + his hat to balance out the sanity aura immunity advantage, he can still heal sanity from food so it's quite okay.

Campfire stories are useless, waste of time really + motivates other newbies to waste their time too.

Woby is just chester, she sucks in combat so she's worse than beefalo. Let us level her up by giving her new collars crafted from stuff indicating how far in the game we are like you know, collar with purple gem then thulecite collar at the end game collar with enlightenment crown shard. With each collar she would gain stronger melee and healthpool, she won't die but once her health is 0 she turns small again. Once she gains healthpool she will not throw you off unless it hits 0.

In my opinion there should be reason to play any character until endgame or you will get someone like woodie who has no reason to be picked once a bearger spawns and you can craft hambats/darkswords and armor. If you tame beefalo you're not playing walter you're playing beefalo, woby must be better than beefalo before endgame.

No idea how to make slingshot good. It takes a lot of marble to take down a tanky boss I'd rather craft cheap hambat and kill it normally.

8 hours ago, minespatch said:

Easy hounds, frog rain, bee queen, tentapillar, cool gimmicks in general like standing and dancing near abby in complete darkness when you forgot about light source + she's visually attracting people because she looks like a cute girl.

1 hour ago, Wonz said:

Bee allergy is dumb, that's the worst downside we have no fun in it and no way to get around without ocean of pain what would be avoiding bees on woby to just snipe queen with marbles for DAYS.

The sanity loss on hit is manageable while wearing body armor + his hat to balance out the sanity aura immunity advantage, he can still heal sanity from food so it's quite okay.

Campfire stories are useless, waste of time really + motivates other newbies to waste their time too.

Woby is just chester, she sucks in combat so she's worse than beefalo. Let us level her up by giving her new collars crafted from stuff indicating how far in the game we are like you know, collar with purple gem then thulecite collar at the end game collar with enlightenment crown shard. With each collar she would gain stronger melee and healthpool, she won't die but once her health is 0 she turns small again. Once she gains healthpool she will not throw you off unless it hits 0.

In my opinion there should be reason to play any character until endgame or you will get someone like woodie who has no reason to be picked once a bearger spawns and you can craft hambats/darkswords and armor. If you tame beefalo you're not playing walter you're playing beefalo, woby must be better than beefalo before endgame.

No idea how to make slingshot good. It takes a lot of marble to take down a tanky boss I'd rather craft cheap hambat and kill it normally.

Easy hounds, frog rain, bee queen, tentapillar, cool gimmicks in general like standing and dancing near abby in complete darkness when you forgot about light source + she's visually attracting people because she looks like a cute girl.

Omg, someone who really plays the game! Hehehe

Agree 100%, I liked idea "buff Woby by collars" but the main issue is his useless, expensive, weak, slow slingshot. Need a 100%+ buff in all stats to be good (and fun).

the bee allergy would have sense if was part of a ironic set of joke downsides in the sense of "the boyscout kid that has tons of allergies" like picking flowers having negative effect, more damage from nettles, more damage from mosquitoes and bess, etc not just bees because that sounds like klei telling us "enjoy BQ git gut"

16 hours ago, Cannoli said:

I think Walter is extremely not fun, and I think he is the least popular character. 9 slots is not a "different thing".

His lame slingshot is a different thing, but... It's lame!

Even who talks "Walter is fun, Walter is ok, Walter is in a good spot" barely play him.

I feel that characters like Walter are more for the fun factor, rather than how "effective" or "viable" the character is end-game. Remember: different people, different skill, different playstyle preferences. Some love Walter for that extra challenge he brings, which forces people to take kiting very seriously, or they'll lose tons of sanity. Maybe it's fun for people to play ranged combat in multiplayer while their friends are going melee. I don't think everyone should compete with, let's say, Wolfgang's and Wanda's DPS potential, or that'll just be dull and boring playing different versions of "Wilson but MORE damage". I do agree that Walter needs some number buffs though to shine better.

Walter main here!
Should Walter get a buff? The answer is NO.
The only thing that needs a buff is his slingshot, making most of his ammo area of effect, and maybe shoot faster while riding Wobby.
Walter's downsides are ok, and for the people who say that his perks can be "emulated" by lategame stuff, I have to say there are characters worst in these therms.

9 hours ago, goatt said:

Just curious, what's your preferred way of soloing dragonfly?

Nothing fancy as particular strat for Walter in this case: classic kite pattern, no Pellets involved outside of doing additional damage while DF spits her Lavaes (on Endless pubs I go with Lava Pool Pens, not solely a Wall; can throw a couple of Gold or Marble rounds if sitting in some relative central spot of her arena, careful not to miss, and away from Lavae jumping in said pens). I usually rush Ruins first autumn, therefore I make at least 1x Thule Armor & 2-3x Thule Crowns; on top of that, and because Marble virtually falls from ceiling during earthquakes (via said Ruins runs), I have a spare Marble Suit for when DF comes back to fight post-regurgitating Lavae, to tank that first hit (hence easy 95% damage reduction and subsequent reduced penalty on Sanity). Preferred weapon early on - Ham Bat; mid-to-late game - Dark Swords. Pan Flute for when she enrages - Ice Rounds aren't very reliable since DF can do a lot of damage via burning AoE and don't want my Sanity tanked mid fight. Also, to be really sure no complications occur, I have roasted Cacti as well during fight in case some accident happens and my Sanity saps. For HP, if I really need, I usually amass ~10 Healing Salves while I roam first 5-7 days through Pine Forests in search of Spider goodies (for Ruins I fancy both Lantern and Miner Hat just to err on the side of caution, + mentioned Salves). I've heard certain Walter-mains do employ the use of special Pellets like Poop ones or Slow Down Rounds, yet I mostly play pubs, and lag doesn't leave enough room to juggle much. Mid/late-game when one gets Bone Armor is even simpler, no need to worry for that 1st "obligatory hit" (I prefer not to waste too much Pan Flute in general) when engaging DF; and after 2x Bone Armors, no more stress at all. That's pretty much it from my end in relation to solo DF, hope it was useful.

Ah, forgot to mention: I sport as well a Thulecite Club 1st Autumn, after rushing Ruins - 10% additional speed comes very handy in general, more-so for 1st Winter's Klaus fight since Walrus Tusk isn't assured to drop by the time I do the "Bad Santa" mushing. If one can't locate in Spider Forests a Totally Normal Tree, can always probe for Blue Shroom Cave forest to yeet 1-2 Mushy Gnomes (totally defenseless against Walter's Pellets) from Grotto "next-door": seeing that Starcaller Staff makes life quite easy from there onward, is a must too to make 1 from rushing Ruins 1st Autumn, as any character.

I've been wanting to revive my Walter thread for the longest time because Walter honestly isn't appreciated enough. Walter is really good in many scenarios and honestly gets hated on for no reason. I instantly changed my mind about his gimmick once I put it into practice and abused his toolset whenever I could.

Slingshot

Spoiler

I think adding more slingshots as "upgrades" would be nice I've got some ideas.

"QuickDraw slingshot" it's initial shot shoots faster than normal so it can combo with regular melee, be used for chip damage when running away or for quick stuns to high value targets with freeze rounds.It's downside would be each consecutive shot would taking longer to fire without repositioning.

"Devoted slingshot" the longer one shoots the faster the next shot comes out until it caps out. It's downside being it's initial shot taking a long time to shoot and being unable to cancel the initial draw.

I thought about these two because there are a couple scenarios where Walter's slingshot semi-works but feels lacking.

Mid-combat shots usually allows 1-3 potshots since most common enemy types either taunt, kite, or have a slow movement speed on top of the rounds causing a small hit stun.  But as circumstances worsen or more enemies are added even getting one shot in safely becomes impossible without higher movement speed to add distance.

Sometimes you want to freeze an important target, take agroe to save a friend, or finish off a wounded enemy in a swarm. But you just can't take even one shot because something is biting chunks of your back.

There is an important quality to Walter's slingshot and it's that it doesn't draw agroe from player's actively fighting back. It allows Walter to start doing damage at a longer range saving time that isn't spent running the distance to help your friends, it allows supportive dps from a safe range.

The damage sucks though... You're getting good potshots in and for mobs that have "small" hp pools like insanity monsters it feels helpful since your friends do 1-2 less kiting pattern per mob. But with larger hp pools like bosses it's really lack luster even with thul rounds and your friends tanking.

That's why I came up with the "QuickDraw" and "Devoted" not to outshine ol' reliable but to fit different needs.

I dont think he needs "wolfgang treatment"

but he definetly needs a more focused design, he has to many random traits that youll probably have to look up a guide to even understand every aspect of the character, like

more damage from bees?

sanity from trees?

Faster cooking?

i dont even want to learn what hes allowed to get sanity from

Archived