[Game Update] - 498339

9 hours ago, allmeitysk said:

These are supposed to be threat to my survival - not a boss fight. A threat can be eliminated either by facing is straight on or by fighting the other day. You have to consider the fact that game is played by variaty of people and not everyone wants to fight hounds every 10 days or so. Even with this "bug", i always had back in my mind this threat and if I was not close to sink hole I had to fight them. But it was a way how I could battle this threat. 

Turning off hound waves eliminates the threat that survival games supposed to have, and to me, it doesnt make sense. 

You dislike that hound waves threaten you so you disconnect to dodge them, but you dislike that turning them off makes them stop threatening you? Doesn't make sense.

1 hour ago, Cheggf said:

You dislike that hound waves threaten you so you disconnect to dodge them, but you dislike that turning them off makes them stop threatening you? Doesn't make sense.

To be fair - ppl probably aren't dodging every single hound wave, only the ones where dodging was more realistic then taking them on.  I've ducked into caves because a hound wave proc'ed when I wasn't ready, but most hound waves I take on.  Depends on what else is going on, and what I've got set up.

Usually I end up basing in the caves b/c I don't have to worry about hounds.  Depths worms are so much better, and cap out at a more realistic amount to deal with.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Cheggf said:

I dont understand why it doesnt make sense. They are constant threat in back of my mind I dont want to turn off in settings. I still want that thrill "Do i fight this boss now or hounds are supposed to come?" Its incorrect to assume everyone jumps to caves every time hounds appear. Often times im far from sink hole and I have to fight them. If I am just peacefully mining, chopping or whatever I often might not want to fight them so I prefer to eliminate threat other way than fighting. What is it so hard to understand that not everything about this game has to be fighting? What so hard to understand that there is variety of people, therefore, people want variety how to eliminate threat. 

I turn off wild fires in my mind because that has no way of being eliminated other than base in oasis or build flingos everywhere and keep functioning every few days. 

6 hours ago, Shosuko said:

To be fair - ppl probably aren't dodging every single hound wave

From what I've seen, majority of disconnects to skip hound wave come during summer in oasis desert before at least 1 person got desert goggles blueprint (pure random and luck-based thing). The reason is that aside from beefalo, there is no alternative to desert goggles, because realistically killing Crab King in order to release mysterious energy, then transporting loot to lunar island, then releasing mysterious energy, and going to moonstorm area for obtaining astroggles blueprint from Wagstaff takes more time than fishing in oasis until blueprint drops in 99% of cases. Which means that, beefalo excluded, there is no realistic way of fighting hounds in oasis unless lucky worldgen contains oasis on the edge of oasis desert or oasis is filled with ice flingomatics for dealing with fire hounds and players are willing/can afford to facetank hound waves. And the whole point of basing in oasis is to not build ice flingonatics, so that leaves no acceptable alternative in some cases. Not everyone wants to tame beefalo as well, and previous season - spring, when beefalos are in heat, - leads to very little possibilities for having enough riding time to fight hound wave unless player rushed beefalo taming since autumn.

That's why I don't like basing in oasis and prefer Dfly desert, there I can at least kite hounds and see what's going to catch fire.

The most logical solution is to update wildfires as a mechanic (so majority of people don't resort to basing only in oasis, period), as well as give alternative to desert goggles available roughly at the same stage of game, or alternative way to obtain desert goggles/its blueprint.

Edited by Pig Princess
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I hide from the hounds only in these cases, in others I will gladly meet them.
- Don't need meat, or gems.
- I didn’t plan to fight with them and I’m just not ready
- if they interfere with my peace plans
the other 60% of the time I fight them or lead them into traps. so turning off waves is a bad idea altogether, or extending their wave timer even longer than the developers did. better let them be annoying but you can hide from them.

If anything i dislike that you cant really tell between red and normal hounds. They look very similar, especially under certain color combinations (season theme and sanity overlay)

Its much easier to tell ice hounds from regulars, and ice ones are not dangerous to your items

Edited by reallychina
  • Like 7
  • Big Ups 2

On 3/9/2022 at 3:54 PM, ScottHansen said:

The rate the Woflgang passively loses might has been increased. 

I got to play some more Wolfgang again and I think this rate has been changed a bit too much.

In Wolfgang's initial rework, you were always going to be Wimpy until you got better dumbells (or a gym). This change kind of returns Wolfgang to that style of play, except it's no longer just for the first few days but every time you are not working out 24/7 (like simply organizing your base or even when you are just not constantly eating food). You are always wimpy, never really normal Wolfgang unless you know you want to go mighty and eat accordingly.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, lakhnish said:

I got to play some more Wolfgang again and I think this rate has been changed a bit too much.

In Wolfgang's initial rework, you were always going to be Wimpy until you got better dumbells (or a gym). This change kind of returns Wolfgang to that style of play, except it's no longer just for the first few days but every time you are not working out 24/7 (like simply organizing your base or even when you are just not constantly eating food). You are always wimpy, never really normal Wolfgang unless you know you want to go mighty and eat accordingly.

are you holding the dumbbell when you dont need speed? that is helping me a lot and with how fast you recover/keep the meter i dont see the problem

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

are you holding the dumbbell when you dont need speed? that is helping me a lot and with how fast you recover/keep the meter i dont see the problem

you always need speed, even when in base. after a thulecite club from a ruins rush or a cane first winter, you won't ever be holding the dumbells

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

It's more of when I'm not stuffing Wolf's face. I like to wait till about 100-110 hunger if I'm organizing base before feeding my character but by that point, the mightiness lost is through the roof that holding it doesn't always help.

Edited by lakhnish

13 minutes ago, lakhnish said:

It's more of when I'm not stuffing Wolf's face. I like to wait till about 100-110 hunger if I'm organizing base before feeding my character but by that point, the mightiness lost is through the roof that holding it doesn't always help.

ye, with less than 75(?)% of stomach it drops like crazy but imo is fair that the drop is faster than before, in the ruins or during boss fights you dont need to take care of the meter and in early game you can stay 24/7 in mighty form by just mining the rocks need for the science station+fighting mobs ont he way and holding the rockbell during exploration

1 hour ago, reallychina said:

you always need speed, even when in base. after a thulecite club from a ruins rush or a cane first winter, you won't ever be holding the dumbells

yes but mag also exists, i expend the whole winter wearing it and, in the moments were my hunger was at less than 60%, i just wear the dumbbell during travels and just because i wanted to keep the meter above 75% but wasnt needed because now the gembell raises the whole bar in ~20secs (which isnt a reailstic scenario most of the time, you dont let the meter drop to 0%)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lakhnish said:

Maybe if they just cut the mighty drain by hunger factor since they upped the constant drain?

imo the mighty drain by hunger is a bit of an obtuse mechanic at this point.  There's little to indicate that hunger effects mightiness to clue a player in, especially as to what the important cut-offs are.  It made sense before when eating was gaining mighty, but with all of the mighty meter and working out its kinda just hanging on b/c... no real point.

Edited by Shosuko
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

ye, with less than 75(?)% of stomach it drops like crazy but imo is fair that the drop is faster than before, in the ruins or during boss fights you dont need to take care of the meter and in early game you can stay 24/7 in mighty form by just mining the rocks need for the science station+fighting mobs ont he way and holding the rockbell during exploration

yes but mag also exists, i expend the whole winter wearing it and, in the moments were my hunger was at less than 60%, i just wear the dumbbell during travels and just because i wanted to keep the meter above 75% but wasnt needed because now the gembell raises the whole bar in ~20secs (which isnt a reailstic scenario most of the time, you dont let the meter drop to 0%)

Wearing mag when in base is a waste of n fuel. When you travel you must go cane and magi. Theres no point to hold dumbells, especially when travelling

• Like 1

i think that atleast wearing heavy items should reduce or stop the drain so wearing piggy backpack doesnt become something annoying and you have the choice of using items like ice cube to benefit more

54 minutes ago, reallychina said:

Wearing mag when in base is a waste of n fuel. When you travel you must go cane and magi. Theres no point to hold dumbells, especially when travelling

because wolfgang has a very hard time farming NF... is called managing situations, choosing between reaching a place few seconds earlier or wearing a dumbell during X time to reduce the drain and more when you are still using thulecite club because the tusk didnt drop yet, while waiting a boss to spawn, picking few grass and twigs or cooking, isnt the end of te world but whatever, dont wear them if you dont like it since getting the 24 points needed to keep the meter up takes ~2 seconds

Edited by ArubaroBeefalo

On 3/9/2022 at 2:54 PM, ScottHansen said:

Wolfgang

• Upon reviewing the motivation behind losing might when getting hit, we have decided that it was not achieving its purpose, and when comparing him to other characters it was deemed unnecessary. Therefore, it has been removed. 
  • The rate the Woflgang passively loses might has been increased. 
  • Only wimpy Wolfgang will use the punch animation when attacking with dumbbells.

So I've gotten to play some more on the Beta branch with Wolfgang. I'm in agreement with some of the people here that with some tweeks the previous version of Wolfgang was almost perfect. It felt like I wasn't constantly watching my might meter, yet still had to keep a small eye on it. It encouraged kiting instead of face tanking (looking at you Wigfrid players ;) ). Overall it felt like a better updated version of Wolfgang with the rework.

• Like 2

On 3/10/2022 at 12:24 AM, ScottHansen said:

Wolfgang

• Upon reviewing the motivation behind losing might when getting hit, we have decided that it was not achieving its purpose, and when comparing him to other characters it was deemed unnecessary. Therefore, it has been removed. 
  • The rate the Woflgang passively loses might has been increased. 

First beta Wolfgang was so fun, really really good job. but this makes a little boring again.

• Like 2