[Game Update] - 498339

20 minutes ago, FourthLess said:

Why aren't you able to deal with them? Tooth traps still exist. 

Even then, the varglets will reduce the amount of hounds initially spawned in the wave by 5 or so and can only spawn 3 additional hounds by themselves. 

and most of the time you only deal with them 1 time per season

48 minutes ago, Starling said:

I'm not able to deal with hounds as my favorite character during late game. I'll have to play as Wendy :(  Goodbye my sweet dapper man (Can't turn off the hound waves on the dedicated public server I'm playing)

In general: Hounds are stupid and have a very low attention span, just run.. run don’t fight them just run, they will eventually grow tired of chasing you and wander off to attack something else, beehives, Treeguard, Beefalo in Mating Season: Hound Waves are really easy to ditch due to them chasing any and almost all other mobs when they get tired of chasing you.

with the Varglet I don’t know if it will wander off and get distracted like normal hounds, but for the most part hounds are dumb and easily distracted.

I suppose the “Intended” way to fight them is to use tooth trap fields or whatever but personally I’ve never bothered.. a single treeguard Will pretty much take out an entire hound wave for you.

Your not supposed to fight everything in the game toe to toe, and in fact in many survival games trying to do that will get you dead: Your supposed to know when to fight, and when to run..

Trust me, they get distracted easily! :) 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Cassielu said:

I'm not sure why raincoats are removed from the "summer item" category when other rain gear is still a summer item. Is it because raincoats keep you warm? The warmth of clothes doesn't actually work when the world is hot, it doesn't make harder to cool down in summer.

Umbrella and eyebrella provide summer insulation, rain coat provides winter insulation

If you think about it, then the hound is on the trail, and if the character escapes into caves where he cannot be reached, the hounds should leave because their target has disappeared and they have gone astray. This is quite logical.

but then again I don't like having to manually disable or enable the waves. hide-and-seek mechanic in caves was fast and convenient

Edited by Maksym.12
  • Like 3

18 hours ago, ScottHansen said:

Upon reviewing the motivation behind losing might when getting hit, we have decided that it was not achieving its purpose, and when comparing him to other characters it was deemed unnecessary. Therefore, it has been removed. 

That's a bit sad I didn't even get to test it out.

I thought the concept was cool though it had potential, but it was pretty clear it was gonna be a change that would need alot of tweaking to make it feel right.

Especially with how it was first introduced a lot of issues could be foreseen before even playing with it.

Gaining and losing mighty in combat easily leads to getting locked into an animation. Creating a cycle of powering up for a second just to be knocked down immediately disrupting the flow and leaving the player vulnerable repeatedly.

Since mighty meter loss couldn't be mitigated through armor high damage mobs like bosses can quickly devolve the player no matter their in game gear.

Even being caught by a group of mobs was made more dangerous since a stray hit can easily mean everything else swarming on top of you for more damage.

It's made even more tedious if said mob has multi-hit attacks, spawns mobs, or has a fast attack speed on top of big damage.

Spoiler

Hello Klaus, DF, CC, Twins of Terror, FW, Bee queen.

Yes. I know Klaus and DF aren't even hard.

Yes. I know Bee queen and twins can easily be done with pan flute spam.

For people that never get hit the downside doesn't even affect them and they should probably play Wanda instead, but I imagine for newer players it can feel counter intuitive.

I wished they tried out a lot of the simple "fixes" people came up with.

Mitigated mighty loss by armour, a moment of mighty invulnerability when changing forms, mighty loss only when mighty, or turning the instant mighty loss into an overtime one.

Edited by Cloakingsumo198
  • Like 1
  • Big Ups 1

18 hours ago, ScottHansen said:

Fixed a bug where disconnecting from the server or going to a different world would prevent hounds waves/depth worm waves from spawning.

• While we always want feedback about our game, we recognise that this isn’t everyone's favourite mechanic, and as such if you don’t like hound waves or depth worm waves, you can always change their spawning properties in the world settings for your world.

I simply have to react to this change as I disagree with statement in second part of the log. It might not have been favourite mechanic in the game but it was up to people whether they want to use it or not.

Suggesting to turn off Hound waves because we dont like them is wrong approach. Hound waves are supposed to be annoying. They are also supposed to be the "constant" threat in the survival world, therefore, for me personally I never considered to turn them off.

But, I still had to battle with that threat "Do I fight bee queen now? When is next hound wave?". I did abuse this "mechanic" (I do not consider it bug) in late game simply because It was option for me how to battle this threat. I might not have been prepared for battle, I might have been in wrong spot where I didnt want my base to burn, I was far away from my hound protection... 

By fixing this "bug" you are making hound waves a real annoyance without a proper ways for us to react to them. Do you want us to make hound protection in every single biom now? Not to mention, the fire hounds are even worse threat as being caught in wrong spot of the base, we can lose everything (especially if some of our bases are huge).

• If you want this bug "fixed" give us ways how we can battle this threat without actually fighting
  • Maybe give bush hat finally a rework and let us use it against hound waves or frogs to simply lose agro? Hound waves can still spawn, but by using bush hat we become invisible to them and after 20 seconds they could run off and despawn in the unloaded area? Still a threat, but we got way how to battle with this threat. 

Also hound waves deserve some love for sure:

• All they are good for is meat. 
  • Hound teeth just stack up and are not usefull almost at all. 
  • Fire hounds possibly could stop setting up our bases on fire, if you want us to battle hounds?
  • Rework look from hounds - gems are nice but at some point you are just again stacking them up without a proper way how to use them. 
  • If I get caught in wrong spot of my base with hounds - they are distracted within a seconds and attacking what they can - if it is something that defends itself - basically my base is gone if it happens to be fire hound...
Edited by allmeitysk
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, allmeitysk said:

By fixing this "bug" you are making hound waves a real annoyance without a proper ways for us to react to them. Do you want us to make hound protection in every single biom now?

Have you considered putting on some armor and kiting the hound waves? The recent changes have made the waves way more sparse and Varglets make them much more manageable without being a binary "either you have tooth traps or you lose" thing anymore.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, QuartzBeam said:

Have you considered putting on some armor and kiting the hound waves? The recent changes have made the waves way more sparse and Varglets make them much more manageable without being a binary "either you have tooth traps or you lose" thing anymore.

These are supposed to be threat to my survival - not a boss fight. A threat can be eliminated either by facing is straight on or by fighting the other day. You have to consider the fact that game is played by variaty of people and not everyone wants to fight hounds every 10 days or so. Even with this "bug", i always had back in my mind this threat and if I was not close to sink hole I had to fight them. But it was a way how I could battle this threat. 

Turning off hound waves eliminates the threat that survival games supposed to have, and to me, it doesnt make sense. 

Edited by allmeitysk

There are a lot of these "bugs" that were not intended to work they do in some scenarios. Are they breaking the meaning of the game or game itself? No, they just provide options to players. And thats what I like about this game personally. I have options how I can approach this game and not be forced one way. I can decide how i survive and play this game... 

• Was it intended for bearger to cut trees and keep as a pet to run through bilions of trees every autumn? Is it bug? Does it break game in any way?  Most likely not, but its invented mechanic and its up to players how they approach it. 
  • Was intended for forest skeleton to be used to farm trees or farm moon rock with lure plants in winter? Most likely not... again its invented mechanic that does not break the game, and its up  to players if they want to use this mechanic or not. 
  • and list can continue this way. These are mechanics invented by players to ease the game to have options how they decide to play the game. Can it be boring? For some yes, but they have option not to use this mechanics. I have used in them in every world and im still playing after a year. 
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, allmeitysk said:
  • Was it intended for bearger to cut trees and keep as a pet to run through bilions of trees every autumn? Is it bug? Does it break game in any way?  Most likely not, but its invented mechanic and its up to players how they approach it. 
  • Was intended for forest skeleton to be used to farm trees or farm moon rock with lure plants in winter? Most likely not... again its invented mechanic that does not break the game, and its up  to players if they want to use this mechanic or not. 
  • and list can continue this way. These are mechanics invented by players to ease the game to have options how they decide to play the game. Can it be boring? For some yes, but they have option not to use this mechanics. I have used in them in every world and im still playing after a year. 

i think theres a huge difference between emergent gameplay like these examples are, and abusing a system that was set in place to prevent you from getting killed by hounds during a loading screen

Edited by meow meow meow
  • Like 8
  • Big Ups 1

16 hours ago, SomebodyRandom said:

Mike there's this thing called an alternative. It's like when you used Figs or Barnacles to fuel your hunger instead of Meatballs. Alternatives allow people to play however they want. Wolfgang's perk is not worse nor better than Beefalos because they are alternatives to each other! People who play Wolfgang can take advantage of the perk but people who don't will use Beefalos. That's what an alternative is

There is a flaw tho in what you said. Alternatives should be atleast viable or good in a game like dst. I'm not talking about Wolfgang perk's in particular, that's okay, but in general, especially in big parts of the game being right now a lot unbalanced and anti-alternatives.

Just saying, otherwise what's the point of alternatives if nobody will use them? 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, allmeitysk said:

I might not have been prepared for battle, I might have been in wrong spot where I didnt want my base to burn, I was far away from my hound protection... 

but that is the point...

the same for everything in every videogame

19 minutes ago, allmeitysk said:

There are a lot of these "bugs" that were not intended to work they do in some scenarios. Are they breaking the meaning of the game or game itself? No, they just provide options to players. And thats what I like about this game personally. I have options how I can approach this game and not be forced one way. I can decide how i survive and play this game... 

i think mobs breaking trees give you a hint if that is intended or not... is a "high risk-high reward" mechanic, noobs strugle with boss while more experience players take advantage of them since they can manage them easily

there is no comparation possible between that and "i dc and this danger disappear"

14 minutes ago, Milordo said:

There is a flaw tho in what you said. Alternatives should be atleast viable or good in a game like dst. I'm not talking about Wolfgang perk's in particular, that's okay, but in general, especially in big parts of the game being right now a lot unbalanced and anti-alternatives.

Just saying, otherwise what's the point of alternatives if nobody will use them?

If it's bad compared to it's alternatives, then it's not really an alternative, is it? Because alternatives would be something equal, not better nor worse.

Just like how Wolfgang's perk is an alternative to Beefalos specifically for Wolfgang players, then Barnacles is an alternative for people that specifically sea base or really like Barnacles. They're all fine, but they're alternatives for people that want to play the game differently.

• Like 3

On 3/9/2022 at 10:54 PM, ScottHansen said:
  • Fixed a bug that allowed you to attack across the void with melee weapons that have a range longer than normal.
  • Fixed a bug where disconnecting from the server or going to a different world would prevent hounds waves/depth worm waves from spawning.
  • Fixed a bug that made Farm Soil prevent Toadstool from spawning Sporecaps.

Will be pure golden comedy when this Beta hits live servers (harder than a proverbial brick-in-the-face): le amount of "salty tears" that will flow on chats in all major DST communities' pubs out there when people find out their new-main Wanda can't "cheese" mobs over Abyss, when de-logging & re-logging randomly after Hound Waves sound signals to bypass such event only yields a horde waiting them eagerly to munch, and the peeps "cheesing" Toad with Farm soil discovering their "toys" have all been taken away... oh lala! Precious popcorn moments in full grandeur!

Edited by x0-VERSUS-1y
*oh, le madnessu!
  • Haha 4
  • GL Happy 1

9 hours ago, dubious little said:

Thank you for more amazing Wolfgang changes!

I have an idea for how the mightyness loss on hit mechanic could stay while not being super intrusive as I think having the mechanic in general is bad. Basically I think it'd be a nice downside if Wolfgang only lost mightyness on hit from nightmare creatures, this would make his sanity drain matter more as a downside too and would lead to situations where nightmare creatures become a decent threat.

My thoughts on the mightyness on loss from all creatures which people are suggesting should be tweaked instead of removed, is that the downside doesn't work really. If you're able to negate it with armour, then it doesn't matter anymore as you always wear armour in a fight, if you get hit a lot and do end up changing forms, then you get screwed over by the animation changes when recovering your might, if they remove the animations, then you can just use a dumbell to gain your mightyness back, if they remove the dumbells mightyness gain, then Wolfgang essentially becomes diet Wanda who exchanges dying in 2 hits with becoming Wilson in 2 hits and Wes in 2 more hits.

That increased mightiness loss from nightmares is actually not a bad change to have! It might actually encourage players to be more weary of their sanity for once, plus it fits with Wolfgang's character. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

Will be pure golden comedy when this Beta hits live servers (harder than a proverbial brick-in-the-face): le amount of "salty tears" that will flow on chats in all major DST communities' pubs out there when people find out their new-main Wanda can't "cheese" mobs over Abyss, when de-logging & re-logging randomly after Hound Waves sound signals to bypass such event only yields a horde waiting them eagerly to munch, and the peeps cheesing Toad with Farm soil discovering their "toys" have all been taken away... oh lala! Precious popcorn moments in full grandeur!

On one hand I love cheese, glitching and exploits - on the other hand I *hate* buggy code.  So I'll support fixes where they are actually fixes.

I don't believe everything that is cheese is really a bug though, or that it needs to be fixed.  My hope is that the hound attack "bug" (I imagine it was less buggy code as opposed to missing code that maintained the hound attack timer on dc) is part of a greater work and they didn't actually decide to put time into fixing such a trivial thing...

The only reaction to this is going to be negative b/c for people who didn't use it, it gives no gains.  Its only a hit.  It wasn't a bad mechanic either as you still needed to make quick decisions to duck into the caves.  Except for people who just d/c'd of course lol

Edited by Shosuko
  • Like 2

tmw some players have been so pampered by easymode mechanics they genuinely forgot how to put a log suit and spear on and actually fight mobs

if you're a megabaser you're likely on your own server so why not turn hound waves off completely?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Well-met said:

tmw some players have been so pampered by easymode mechanics they genuinely forgot how to put a log suit and spear on and actually fight mobs

if you're a megabaser you're likely on your own server so why not turn hound waves off completely?

and if I'm just playing with friends and we went out to mine a stone, and then we hear the hounds and from the armor I have a 10% helmet and a spear because we didn’t plan to fight with anyone along the way, and no one warns about a possible wave in a day. But there is a cave nearby and we just hide there.
In another case, when we are quite ready to fight with them, there is no need to hide. Let the players decide for themselves whether to use this mechanic or not, it doesn’t interfere with playing or something else, it just saves lives as an opportunity to move into an amulet without having to put it on before death

3 minutes ago, QuartzBeam said:

Wait, what?

the life-giving amulet in the original was supposed to revive the player when he died with the amulet around his neck. but in multiplayer this is not necessary, you can just carry it in your inventory as a portable altar without any penalties

3 hours ago, SomebodyRandom said:

If it's bad compared to it's alternatives, then it's not really an alternative, is it? Because alternatives would be something equal, not better nor worse.

Hmnn, it's true, you're right. 

6 hours ago, SomebodyRandom said:

Just like how Wolfgang's perk is an alternative to Beefalos specifically for Wolfgang players, then Barnacles is an alternative for people that specifically sea base or really like Barnacles. They're all fine, but they're alternatives for people that want to play the game differently.

Ye ye, I already said Wolfgang perk's is fine.

• GL Happy 1