• lunar grotto
    • Archives
    • wilds
    • village
    • labyrinth
    • military/sacred
    • Atrium
    • No need to refresh any cave biomes

There are bunch of biomes that stayed pretty much the same since the launch of DST, so I feel that it would be nice if Klei were to look back on some other older biomes and give them a glowup. The idea came to mind as I thought that the majority of biomes in the caves feels like they are there just to pad out the world with little to nothing to do in them (maybe that's fine since all biomes do not need to be equal and can be there just for worldbuilding). So which biomes do people think need to be looked at again and what are some suggestions to make them more interesting? Happy to hear your thoughts.

Most old biomes could use some love. Especially the caves.

i think the swamp has a lot of potential even though it’s probably one of the best old biomes. Merms are just criminally underdeveloped and it’s the only biome that has a survivor directly tied to it so it deserves to be special. 

The swamp could use some of the same ambience as Waterlogged and patches of mist similar to the graveyard biome. If we were getting ambitious it would also be really cool if there was a half ocean half land biome off the shore of the swamp. 

I also really miss the patch of forest in the middle of the swamp from DS:A world gen it made the biome more interesting by breaking up the monotony Idk why this was removed. And I also miss the presence of mushrooms in the swamp, like come on it’s the perfect biome for them.

there’s also the issue that there’s nothing in the swamp for the merms who inhabit it to eat. Unlike berrybushes and patches of carrots in pig villages etc. 

if mumsy and billy aren’t completely in the trash bin by this point I think the swamp forest would be a very appropriate place for them to appear as npcs as well.

tentacles should also respawn slowly imo.  

I just got done typing out a long PM to someone about what I want and Why.. I suppose I can copy/paste that here if anyone is actually curious to read it and cares what I want with this game. I voted for every biome, the spoiler below explains why.

Spoiler

For the record, Spelunky 2 is a lot of fun, I have the original game.. but part 2 has online coop play where the first game was only single player, I never managed to beat Spelunky, and I doubt I will ever beat Spelunky 2 either..

These two games are kinda like old school Mario and Sonic 2D platform games except with one crucial difference between them: Every single level from start to finish is randomly generated and when you happen to die.. it randomly generates a whole new set of levels starting you back at 1-1

I would even go so far as to say (because you can’t ever get familiar with patterns) that this is the hardest game of all time..

But I freaking love it, I grew up playing the heck out of Mario/Sonic/Crash Bandicoot etc.. I feel like my experience with those games prepared me for the ultimate challenge that is Spelunky.

These are the types of games I enjoy, ones where you can’t ever get too familiar with them because things are randomly generated and your not just repeating the same thing over and over and over again, when I bought DS/DST the product Description said “Explore Randomly Generated worlds full of things that hate you and want you to die..” that’s what sold me on the franchise..

And at first it truly felt like it lived up to its promise, but then I start becoming familiar with what resources and mobs spawn in what biome, where to look for pig king, where NOT to look for Beefalo Etc..

And I’m tired of it, I’m advocating here on these forums for a true Spelunky like experience where I can “Randomize Everything” Maybe for once random Swamp Tentacles smack me in a Hayfield, Pig King is found on Lunar Island or has a chance to not spawn at all, Beefalo are chilling out in the Biome you would normally find Catcoon, etc etc..

There are many forum members that are against this, because they enjoy their predictable go here & do this routine.. I DO NOT.. and all I’m asking for is server settings or dedicated servers that truly does have a “Randomize everything” button- Those people who don’t like the idea can continue to play their same predictable boring gameplay loop… but I’m begging Klei to PLEASE let me have what they originally promised: “Explore Randomly generated worlds full of things that hate you and want you to die..”

I will fight tooth & nail to have this feature someday (or until klei gets tired of hearing it and bans me off the forums) I absolutely hate predictability I love a game with near infinite amounts of replay value in it..

Which is why I adore Spelunky/Spelunky 2, I don’t have to fight every boss, or know how to solve some puzzle people wouldn’t even know how to freaking do without looking it up on Wiki… I just want to play as a cast of 20+ unique characters with unique playstyles in a truly randomized world..

Thats all I want, that’s all the product description promised.. And that’s what I’d die happily with if I got someday.

all of them could use some love imo on land biomes swamps are probably the most developed or one of the deserts and in caves archives and grotto take the cake for most developed and all sea biomes are really good but all the other biomes could use some work except for ruins related ones

53 minutes ago, Ohan said:

mist similar to the graveyard biome

I actually would love it if they updated the graphics of this to be more like Hamlets version: just the visual of it without the slowed movement.

71A411BF-E677-489E-A933-92C04D96F474.gif.52fe62578d9522d82a590e86a1ac1a9a.gif

1 hour ago, HowlVoid said:

Savannah is so barren I forget it exists. 

Savannah sure is barren and definitely needs something else, but out of the worst, its probably the best. Sure, grass tufts are common enough, but the biome kinda fills the role of supplying plenty of grass. Its also the first place I look in when I need Beefalo and the 4 rabbits for Prestihatitator.

If I were to choose a biome to start with, probably either Mosaic just because its a bit of a mess. Or the Cave biome with Bats/Cave Spiders/Spitters, because outside of stalagmites to get fossils (of which you only need 8 in a single playthrough most of the time) and the possible Webber main looking for extra recruits/cookies, its just filler.

Of course not just these. Almost all old biomes except for maybe Deciduous Forest need a bit of a refresh ion some way. Even the normal forest.

Edit:
Ill throw in some ideas. Like a spring somewhere on the surface would be really nice. Or an actual lake that isnt a small puddle in the middle of a desert or a patch of ocean that is encircled with land. Or even proper rivers. Any body of water to allow us to have more freedom with knobbly trees.

I would love that stalagmite biomes had some area where they could respawn around pillars or something like that based of the rain dripping down the caves, not only that would be cool... but we also need renewable fossils Klei. :cry:

Also some extra ruins variation could be sweet, I'm pretty tired of having double rooks + bishop spaghetti rooms all the time

2 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

I actually would love it if they updated the graphics of this to be more like Hamlets version: just the visual of it without the slowed movement.

71A411BF-E677-489E-A933-92C04D96F474.gif.52fe62578d9522d82a590e86a1ac1a9a.gif

but the slowed movement isn't the worst part about the fog it's the loss of visibilty

I hope so much that we get one or more new trees. In Hamlet and Shipwrecked there are awesome looking trees. Would be great for atmosphere and especially for builders. 

Instead of two deciduous forest another type of forest would be great. 

red mushroom forest, second decidious, the forest wih a little savannah, the starting cave biomes (the green ones with bunnymen, idk the name), stalagmite and guano biome are very bland.  wish they add the discarded grotto biome found in new home files (i need that moth owl and the insect lamps)

or remove second decidious, useless forest and the second meteor field(why klei? and always next to the oasis desert...) and add new ones

7 hours ago, Ohan said:

Most old biomes could use some love. Especially the caves.

i think the swamp has a lot of potential even though it’s probably one of the best old biomes. Merms are just criminally underdeveloped and it’s the only biome that has a survivor directly tied to it so it deserves to be special. 

The swamp could use some of the same ambience as Waterlogged and patches of mist similar to the graveyard biome. If we were getting ambitious it would also be really cool if there was a half ocean half land biome off the shore of the swamp. 

I also really miss the patch of forest in the middle of the swamp from DS:A world gen it made the biome more interesting by breaking up the monotony Idk why this was removed. And I also miss the presence of mushrooms in the swamp, like come on it’s the perfect biome for them.

there’s also the issue that there’s nothing in the swamp for the merms who inhabit it to eat. Unlike berrybushes and patches of carrots in pig villages etc. 

if mumsy and billy aren’t completely in the trash bin by this point I think the swamp forest would be a very appropriate place for them to appear as npcs as well.

tentacles should also respawn slowly imo.  

how do I like a comment twice

In the same way that the changes to spiders were added with Webber's rework, whenever the devs decide to touch up Wurt (if at all) making said changes to the swamp and merms would be great to have at the same time

I love the cave biomes. They're so unique and are very valuable in extended underground visits, especially bases. Maybe if you're only underground to get ruins loot they're barren, but then so are the overworld biomes.

I wouldn't be opposed to some additions to the biomes, but I don't think they need it and adding too much to a biome would make it cluttered.

1 hour ago, Falkenpelz said:

Out of the overworld biomes I've only chosen Oasis Desert because I think that specificly the Oasis trees could be changed into palm trees of a sort to fit in better.

Even if they don't want to add the coconut tree from SW they could add a date palm so it fits better with the desert.

1 minute ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

hamlet felt so alive, sad that, as far as i know,most of the mobs can go extint and most are agressive between each other xD

Rabid Beetle vs. Spider Monkey vs. Mant vs. Snaptooth vs. Hippopotamoose vs. Mosquito vs. Frog

4 minutes ago, Leonidas IV said:

Rabid Beetle vs. Spider Monkey vs. Mant vs. Snaptooth vs. Hippopotamoose vs. Mosquito vs. Frog

vs pogs weevoles vs vampigs vs pig guards setting everything of fire but your safe firecamp is too dangerous and you must die for picking 1 grass

40 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

most of the mobs can go extinct 

Seriously this is such a sad aspect of hamlet.

It always made me feel like I was playing zoo tycoon, hopelessly trying to keep the snaptooths under control so they don’t just overwhelm everything, creating safe zones for spider monkeys, routinely going around with bug spray to kill the beetles, uprooting tall grass near hippos so the weevils don’t kill them… etc etc 

horrible situation. Feels like none of this was considered. Hamlet starts out lush and alive and so pretty and then just self-destructs unless u become a full time ecologist/zoo keeper.. (which is kind of fun though I admit :lol:)

i hope they do take some inspiration from hamlet when it comes to liveliness though, small (seasonal) mobs add so much to the world. But maybe don’t make everything aggressive toward everything this time :crushed:

For example, DST could use a lil creature that spawns after the first year and scavenges the world for garbage like rot and twigs to eat. 

1 minute ago, Ohan said:

Seriously this is such a sad aspect of hamlet.

It always made me feel like I was playing zoo tycoon, hopelessly trying to keep the snaptooths under control so they don’t just overwhelm everything, creating safe zones for spider monkeys, routinely going around with bug spray to kill the beetles, uprooting tall grass near hippos so the weevils don’t kill them… etc etc 

horrible situation. Feels like none of this was considered. Hamlet starts out lush and alive and so pretty and then just self-destructs unless u become a full time ecologist/zoo keeper.. (which is kind of fun though I admit :lol:)

i hope they do take some inspiration from hamlet when it comes to liveliness though, small (seasonal) mobs add so much to the world. But maybe don’t make everything aggressive toward everything this time :crushed:

For example, DST could use a lil creature that eats garbage like rot and twigs etc. 

hhahahahah i can totally relate

im so overprotective with spidermonkeys and i try to avoid killing any pog, turkey or owl but they are just too dumb and get killed eventually

is kinda fun to take care of your ecosystem but at the same time, if you fail, atleast for me, is an insta delete world

30 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

vs pogs weevoles vs vampigs vs pig guards setting everything of fire but your safe firecamp is too dangerous and you must die for picking 1 grass

But picking up poop off the floor is an act of respect :D

9 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

im so overprotective with spidermonkeys

Spidermonkeys overtook entire forests in my game. I was running around torching everything as they killed whatever they could see. They still hold control of entire section of the jungle and they're coming out of the forest too. Send help

1 minute ago, BezKa said:

Spidermonkeys overtook entire forests in my game. I was running around torching everything as they killed whatever they could see. They still hold control of entire section of the jungle and they're coming out of the forest too. Send help

i never experienced it, they just migrate to other trees in my worlds

one time i though something horrible happend because i didnt found my colony of monkeys, after many ingame years i found them in one side of the biome chilling there xD

Archived