More late game content?

Hi,

I made this post because a question came to my mind, do you think DST should have more late game content? That there should be more things to do after you kill CC? Or everything is ok?  Or it should have more early game content? I would be very curious to hear what the other players think. If you think so, tell what do you miss or why you don't think the same. Be creative. 

(I'm thinking of a mod idea and this can be really helpful for me to polish it and everything)

Thank you if you reply.  

i totally agree with you. most of the players -including me- keep resetting their world cuz there's literally nothing to do in late game but repeating all bosses again and again. i have been waiting for sealed portal to get its function since its release. i think klei needs to add a brand new world via sealed portal. that's all i'm gonna say for now.

For me the funniest area are the ruins since it has combat, farming, cool ambience and is in permanent darkness for that i would love a similar area but that the map is regenerated randomly everytime you finish it so you would need to explore it from 0 everytime

exploration is a thing i really miss in old worlds and with this there will be always the surprise of finding something interesting. Idk if this is just to complicate to implement without a new shard (thing to avoid unless klei have a way to improve performance)

also the caves in general needs a refresh. There is a lot of useless areas, tentapillars are only useful as few characters for quick traveling and to find the atrium (which most of the time you can access with lazy explorer... which is sad), the ruins generation sucks sometimes (you get tiny ruins making the game so grindy, hornament chests and AG loot sucks most of the time plus the fight and desing are so outdated, etc. Caves can be filled with early, mid and late game stuff

And i didnt forget about the surface. There is some biomes that are redundant or just annoying (second meteor field, why? just why?). They could include a lot of early game stuff which makes the gameplay richer (now we have more options that just rushing ruins)

i would really love if they add a surface biome between swamp and ruins difficulty, something like the deep jungle from hamlet (best biome of the franchise so far). So newbies has a way to learn more difficult fights without needing to go all down into the caves plus having something spicy in the surface(since tentacles dont respawn even the swamp loses its little difficulty)

Late game content is always welcome, since the world is always static comparing day 1 to day 1000 it would be neat if they added something that is not static within the world. 

For example a biome that is randomly generated just like the caves shard but resets(as in the whole biome geography generation) every time you clear it. Or an infinitely long endurance dungeon of sorts to see how far you can go before having to dip.

As for early game content I would like to see other options that are as fun as rushing the ruins or doing an early raid boss.

I would personally love some content that heavily warped the world after doing all the bosses, since ive experienced nearly everything the game has to offer.

However you do need to consider the kind of people who prefer doing things like megabasing and not dealing with big, frequent threats. So maybe instead of having a terraria hardmode that permanently affects everyone, it could be something with an "off button" so players could choose whether  they want to experience a permanent challenge, or just collect a few resources before returning to a more relaxed endgame.

5 minutes ago, NoodlemanNed said:

I would personally love some content that heavily warped the world after doing all the bosses, since ive experienced nearly everything the game has to offer.

However you do need to consider the kind of people who prefer doing things like megabasing and not dealing with big, frequent threats. So maybe instead of having a terraria hardmode that permanently affects everyone, it could be something with an "off button" so players could choose whether  they want to experience a permanent challenge, or just collect a few resources before returning to a more relaxed endgame.

hi

I think there is enough late game content in the game anyway, I think you are overestimating how much of the player base has even beat fuel weaver, i'd say it's less than 1% who've ever played the game.

6 hours ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

killing FW and CC should bring changes to the world.

the day you defeat CC on becomes the new new moon, so there's that.

6 hours ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

early game content is always welcome

cough cough shipwrecked cough cough hamlet. Would bring a lot of variety to day 1-30 autumn start pubs. Please Klei

1 hour ago, Cheggf said:

Early game content is late game content. I see no need to arbitrarily lock things behind gates just so it's "late game". 

Finally somebody gets it, locking content behind “late game stuff” just means only people who can actually reach “late game” ever gets to experience it- take the Moonstorm as an example: Imagine if that actually DID Something, such as Terraform familiar Mobs and Biomes into Lunar Mutant Variants.

The Problem with that is: locking it behind having to defeat some stupid boss (unless they also plan to add boss scaling so it’s easier to fight said boss) means that few people ever get to experience that content.

When what SHOULD have happened is all those new weather effects & mob variants be added to World Gen Settings (toggled off by default) and players can toggle them to “ON” or join world Presets with them already active.

Late Game content isn’t “fun” and even locking new stuff behind how long your world has been active would be awful- I don’t want to have to play in a world for 5 million days before I experience something “New” Just makes the game an unnecessary time grind until I can reach the point where it feels “new” 

I would PREFER that even if they added new weather seasons and mobs etc.. that instead of locking it away behind a boss or days your world has existed- that players can toggle it on/off at their own free will.

For example: Any features Klei adds to a New Hardcore Mode: Players can toggle on the features of that mode that they “Like” while at the same exact time: Leaving OFF the parts of that new mode that they absolutely “Hate”

THIS Is why the Uncompromising Mode servers failed… because it had features people “Liked” but even more that they “Disliked” to the point the entire Mode wasn’t worth playing.

Not to mention: If some expert Jerkwad joined the game and rushes killing the boss or doing the thing that Terraforms your land.. making the game unexpectedly more difficult on people who didn’t expect this solo boss rusher to trigger X new thing.. now what? Do you delete the world & start over? Leave the server & find a new one to join? Get frustrated that the game can be advanced by some expert determined speed runners?

You guys DON’T think things through before you suggest something- World Gen Toggles was/Is & always will be: The absolute BEST way for Klei to add new Content to the game.

Because for me personally: I’d rather be able to enjoy new content in a span of 30 minutes playtime instead of needing to wait 30 Months real time to reach that point.

At some point the game becomes "decoration simulator", with little input on the player's end; it's just simple management with little challenge. I'd like to see variety in late-game content to where you wouldn't know what to expect next like new seasons that appear randomly as one ends, different types of hound waves, events that pull you away from your base.

13 hours ago, hhh2 said:

the day you defeat CC on becomes the new new moon, so there's that.

0 impact

13 hours ago, hhh2 said:

cough cough shipwrecked cough cough hamlet. Would bring a lot of variety to day 1-30 autumn start pubs. Please Klei

cough cough new content cough cough

13 hours ago, Owlrus said:

At some point the game becomes "decoration simulator", with little input on the player's end; it's just simple management with little challenge. I'd like to see variety in late-game content to where you wouldn't know what to expect next like new seasons that appear randomly as one ends, different types of hound waves, events that pull you away from your base.

forums 5 seconds after update: That things works like that, now you need to do that, and then is high chance for this so prepare hambat/dark sword and some armour/termal stone... Usually you got here complete instructions how to do something very quickly, so no matter what content developers add, will be surprising for as long as how long takes to look into game code/check in game via commands.

And yet summer pulls players away from base with random unpredictable events and everybody hates that. 

1 hour ago, Notecja said:

forums 5 seconds after update: That things works like that, now you need to do that, and then is high chance for this so prepare hambat/dark sword and some armour/termal stone... Usually you got here complete instructions how to do something very quickly, so no matter what content developers add, will be surprising for as long as how long takes to look into game code/check in game via commands.

And yet summer pulls players away from base with random unpredictable events and everybody hates that. 

i try to avoid checking the forum when a update comes to experience it by myself but if the update is 2 bosses or 1 biome there isnt much to investigate (dont get me wrong, i love the ammount snd quality of the content we receive)

the problem with summer is that the fire spread so quickly and can burn out of player vision, so tecnically, going in unprotected biomes has a danger without counter. Frog rains are annoying for the same reason, there is no counter for them, no matter how much you kill or how much you run, the frog rain will make you uneable to do things for s set ammount of time

if i know that if kill 100 frogs it will stop or that the fires will only appear where i can deal with them, much less player would mind these 2 events

2 hours ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

i try to avoid checking the forum when a update comes to experience it by myself but if the update is 2 bosses or 1 biome there isnt much to investigate (dont get me wrong, i love the ammount snd quality of the content we receive)

the problem with summer is that the fire spread so quickly and can burn out of player vision, so tecnically, going in unprotected biomes has a danger without counter. Frog rains are annoying for the same reason, there is no counter for them, no matter how much you kill or how much you run, the frog rain will make you uneable to do things for s set ammount of time

if i know that if kill 100 frogs it will stop or that the fires will only appear where i can deal with them, much less player would mind these 2 events

I don’t mind them at all.. and in fact if less players looked things up on the Wiki or whatever then they would never be saying mean stuff to me like “you stupid noob stop building bases in the mosaic, Meteorites fall there!”

Well yeah duh… but shouldn’t that be part of the game?

Unfortunately due to Wiki and looking into the games files to learn how everything works, they know those meteorites won’t fall outside of their specific locked location: And I hate that… I would like for them to be able to fall anywhere and into any biome (optional toggle in world Gen settings of course)

They don’t seem to understand that this game is an uncompromising wilderness survival game: That doesn’t necessarily mean it’s super super difficult: quite the opposite actually, it’s kinda simple, easy to pick up and start playing but: The amount of crazy shenanigans that can happen because of the core design of this game are unparalleled-

I used to watch people ban players just because that player picked Willow and they were terrified she was going to burn their base down, only to LATER have that base burn down anyway when a spider Queen got too close to Dragonfly’s Magma Pools and the spiders that come out of the nests at night roamed a little too close to the lava ponds and set themselves on fire and then hilariously scramble into said persons nearby base whilst on fire setting the forest on fire which then proceeds to burn the entire forest & their base down- 

This is DONT STARVE, Fire Hounds will spawn out of season, you can adopt an adorable Larvae capable of burning anything it comes into contact with, animals will smolder & be set on fire in the heat of Summer:

It’s an easy game to play and enjoy… but the world and the sheer crazy amounts of pure random things like the above example that can happen is what’s meant to be “Uncompromising” 

And I feel like somewhere along the way KLEI lost track of that feeling: they got wrapped up in huge boss fights, 3+ hour structured missions to make a crabby hermit NPC like you etc…

For ME: When I’m playing with other players and we have set up a Birchnut tree farm in the base and they end up chopping too many spawning a Birchnut Tree Guardian so they rush towards it to try and fight/chop it down only for the Nearby Walter who has Dismounted Woby and is now pelting the Birchnutters from a distance with a Slingshot only for WOBY to get struck by a stray bolt of lightning and run around on fire directly into the Birchnut farm and the two spawned Birch Treeguards only to catch the entire area on fire with her thus effectively killing all the players who were fighting the Treeguards either from the attacks of the treeguard OR from the Woby caused INFERNO..

Thats a moment where you just can’t help but laugh your butt off at & tell all the whining children: Well kids, it’s part of the game, you either learn to enjoy it or you Rollback the server.

I feel like these are experiences that KLEI as developers just don’t experience anymore, they don’t know that the cries of the fanbase wanting wildfires to be easily counterable will just be null and void when a Spider decides it wants to take a hot lava pond bath and then wander back into the nearby forest.

Some of the changes they’ve made to DST along the way have stripped away some of that challenge: I once had a Spider Infestation overgrow and take over my base, I couldn’t clear them all out without potentially dying so I just gave the base up and moved somewhere else, no: no other Players joined the world: Spiders are just Coded to build nests anywhere they want over time.. 

And prior to the patch Klei made that if a Spider Queen is ignored long enough she reverts back into a tier 1 spider nest, You could’ve had a bunch of Spider Queens & Tier 3 nests overtake your base like they successfully managed to do to mine.

NOW you can simply wait till she returns to a tier 1 den and destroy the nest easily.

These are the changes I DONT Mention on these forums because you all proclaim I know nothing about proper game balance & have no rights to speak about it…

For all I know: having a bunch of Tier 3 nests and Spider Queens running around could’ve been causing severe lag or something hence why they allowed her to revert back to stage 1 after too long I don’t know..

I just know that not everything in this game should have an easy counter to it..

I may be in the minority but I would like for stray BEE’s to eventually rebuild their own nests “both passive or aggressive versions” similar to how spiders build nests over time, not only does this guarantee they can’t become completely extinct in long worlds (thanks to them coming from tumbleweeds) but it also makes the games familiar biomes and what you will encounter in them a little less predictable, a little more exciting, and a whole lot more uncompromising.

I campaign to have ponds boil over into magma pools during summer Because I’m very much aware of the random levels of chaos this game is capable of dishing out from time to time: Wobys unfortunate accidental killing of everyone was by far one of the most hilarious things I’ve ever seen in this franchise & I absolutely LOVE that about the game.

So in 2022/2023 I’m making a few proposals: We throw away the rule book, we abandon familiarity & locking content away behind boss fights or 3+ hour quests, we allow things like Bee’s to relocate and build nests outside of their known biome like spiders can sometimes do, we make unfortunate weather events like Meteor Showers be able to fall into ANY Biome not just the one area it’s known to fall within.. and we shake this franchise at its very core- like the few brief examples I just provided above.

18 hours ago, Owlrus said:

Yeah but it would be welcomed that those "changes" wouldn't impact on your "decorations" too much. 

Personally I always like to build mega bases that are actually everywhere but what pains me most is that unlucky Bearger, Deerclops or Hounds spawns may be very annoying then.

I'm always open for more challenges and dangers but I would like them to be a problem for players only - not decorations.

35 minutes ago, Prajdo said:

Yeah but it would be welcomed that those "changes" wouldn't impact on your "decorations" too much. 

i think klei understood that but yeah, they will shot their feet if they add stuff that destroys structures

they added destructive things for the moonstorm but i think wasnt their intention and, after reading feedback, they changed it

1 hour ago, Hornete said:

The Charged Glassy Rocks still damage walls and fences/gates.

Sometimes they can get stuck in obstacles and you can't reach them...

I suggested some time ago that Lighting Rods could catch Charged Moonglass. Something like this:

image.thumb.png.2dcad622fadaca199492b3488060a33e.png

44 minutes ago, Just-guy said:

I suggested some time ago that Lighting Rods could catch Charged Moonglass. Something like this:

yea I've had the same similar idea myself and I like the concept. I think it could be neat to have an attachment upgrade for lightning rods like masts have to attract the moon lightning. It is another beast in of itself and not similar to lightning, so i'd like to see it tackled in an interesting unique way. off-track but I thought it'd be cool to have some more interactions between moon lightning and other entities that interact with regular lightning(mosslings, volt goats, wx?). I dunno, maybe volt goats become mutated when struck by moon lightning, but i'm getting ahead of myself.

17 minutes ago, Hornete said:

yea I've had the same similar idea myself and I like the concept. I think it could be neat to have an attachment upgrade for lightning rods like masts have to attract the moon lightning. It is another beast in of itself and not similar to lightning, so i'd like to see it tackled in an interesting unique way. off-track but I thought it'd be cool to have some more interactions between moon lightning and other entities that interact with regular lightning(mosslings, volt goats, wx?). I dunno, maybe volt goats become mutated when struck by moon lightning, but i'm getting ahead of myself.

i love the volt goat idea and what if wx has an unique overcharge if is charged by a moon lightning, perma moon storm meta

21 hours ago, Hornete said:

The Charged Glassy Rocks still damage walls and fences/gates.

Sometimes they can get stuck in obstacles and you can't reach them...

835370793588359219.png?size=96
unknown.png
Re-blocked sinkhole...

what happens if you try leave through that cave exit??

Archived