Is this really the nightmare throne?

image.png.b4928444cacc8dc282f9b817ac3d0441.png

In the last image of the metheus puzzles we see one of the rulers sitting on a throne. I've always been told that this is the nightmare throne but how true is this really? The stuff coming out of the gateway is represented by black so why is the throne white? If this truly was the nightmare throne then I feel like it should be coloured black not white.

The introduction of the moon and gestalts adds a lot of depth to this as theres clearly a second power in the constant, the light. Does this imply the existence of a second throne, opposite to the nightmare throne? If maxwell was the king of the shadows then would this guy be the king of the light? What are your thoughts on this? Does the colour choice here mean anything or is it just an artistic decision?

Yeah, I don't know. Kevin said a long time ago that noone before Maxwell sat on the throne, which means the staff bearer was left to die in the ruins, slowly corrupting, or that this isn't the the throne (how did the throne of power get moved into that throne room), or that this is the throne, the bearer did die (Iassume hebecame the fuelweaver) and it was meant that the stages of the throne were distinguinshed apart.

Also the fact that Kevin isn't doing dst lore on forums anymore. Keyword being on forums, he still may actually write the lore.

27 minutes ago, DaZoul said:

emphasis on "a long time ago". It is entirely possible that some things have been retconned, maybe by him, maybe by others

In that case we should really have an actual reveal of what is changed. If we will never get such thing, it should be safe to assume that nothing got retconned.

1 minute ago, SecretPizzaMan said:

Maybe they are completely different thrones, and this is just a wild goose chase we all decided to embark on.

Does anyone have any evidence of the Klei confirming that this is the nightmare throne?

That's the thing about the lore, nothing is confirmed except for a couple thing the devs have said. 

Despite years of content no one really knows anything. Plus all the lore changes from single player leads to tons of confusion. 

This is EXACTLY what I recently thought about! Some thoughts on this:

Reasons, why this could be the Nightmare Throne:

1) It is the throne of the very guy who messed with nightmarefuel so much that he started the downfall of his people, it would make some sense.  2) This is the scene of a story's tragic end and we never got to see this throne before on the murals, so you could expect it to be important and the king sitting on the throne implies something bad here. 3) The distressed way he is covering his eyes fits the insanity expressions the characters do when on the throne. 4) The way, Charlie and Maxwell have a very similar story to Cyclum and Metheus (mind the first letters btw!), which is surely intentional. In both stories, a powerful man became intoxicated by the powers of nightmarefuel, while a woman stood on his side, who didn't agree with his practices and suspected something bad to happen. The nightmarefuel eventually led to the man's downfall, despite the woman's attempts to help. Despite being not responsible for the catastrophe, she tried to help and had to pay the greater price - Metheus become corrupted by shadows, just as Charlie became corrupted by Metheus later, turning into her opposite. Metheus brought light and now takes light, Charlie feared the dark and now feares the light. Maxwell was then placed on the Nightmarethrone and it would by a smooth fit, if Cyclum himself ended up on the Nightmarethrone.

Reasons, why this could not be the Nightmare Throne:

1) White stuff instead of black stuff. But considering the strong and relatively consequent color symbolism in the murals, this is a rather important point.

I still think that this is the Nightmare Throne and that the Ancient King's remnants are the consciousness of Fuelweaver given how the Ruins themselves are, but...
Interesting realization that both he and the Throne were relatively pure at this point. There are hints of Shadows between the two, but nothing major; the Shadows are everywhere else on this mural.

That said, it's totally possible that Metheus threw him into a portal, or called the Moon's attention back to the Constant to use its power to balance out the darkness in the eleventh hour.

Also, there are Ancient representations of bones and death worked into the Throne itself.
Didn't notice that before.

On 12/26/2021 at 9:50 AM, Ornge said:

image.png.b4928444cacc8dc282f9b817ac3d0441.png

In the last image of the metheus puzzles we see one of the rulers sitting on a throne. I've always been told that this is the nightmare throne but how true is this really? The stuff coming out of the gateway is represented by black so why is the throne white? If this truly was the nightmare throne then I feel like it should be coloured black not white.

The introduction of the moon and gestalts adds a lot of depth to this as theres clearly a second power in the constant, the light. Does this imply the existence of a second throne, opposite to the nightmare throne? If maxwell was the king of the shadows then would this guy be the king of the light? What are your thoughts on this? Does the colour choice here mean anything or is it just an artistic decision?

I think the throne slightly changes depending on who is sitting on it. Charlie and Maxwell both had slightly different thrones, and while Wilson didn't, he also was only on it for a little bit. The color is interesting though. But until we have more proof of another throne we probably shouldn't jump to conclusions. Sometimes the simplest answer is the best one.

Then again, if this was the very first throne then maybe thats just how the throne originally was. 

Archived