Wolfgang's Character Refresh is Coming Next Week!

41 minutes ago, Incinery said:

He is the only rework that got weaker post rework. 

I really fail to see how old Wolfgang is stronger than the new one considering Wolfgang maintains 2x damage whenever he's mighty now instead of the scaling garbage it used to be.

7 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Jokes aside: I hope there’s more to this rework then we know, and Thursday has some really cool stuff..

I doubt they have anything hidden about Wolfgang.  What we got is probably what we're getting.  If he's released as he is now, after that update, I think I'm okay with that.

6 minutes ago, Shosuko said:

I doubt they have anything hidden about Wolfgang.  What we got is probably what we're getting.  If he's released as he is now, after that update, I think I'm okay with that.

I would agree with you, but.. the leaked skins he’s getting as belongings makes me question that. Like why just why??? 

Also there’s an awesome scrapped concept animation of well- 

Spoiler

Bench pressing Beefalo’s, I am assuming the reason WHY this got scrapped is because the Beefalo Bell now guarantees he has Beefalo by his side at all times… so what would’ve been the point in the Gym or the Dumbells?

Still.. they could’ve made it so he could only Bench press untamed: Unbell bound wild Beefalos I guess.. *shrugs*
Still would’ve been cool to look at for the “Mighty” Wolfgang.

16 hours ago, blacknight7890 said:

This is what I've been saying. He was just too strong, it felt like playing easy mode. Now that you need to earn your might, it's far more rewarding. Everyone complaining that they never nerfed anyone else in the reworks don't realise that everyone who has been reworked so far have been either weak or out if date. They have been trying to bring them up to the same level, likely the level wigfrid is at since they only added to her kit and changed nothing. The reworks are to help Equalize the cast, not buff them. Wolfgang is the first to be above that line, the first that needs to be brought down.

Wigfrid and Wendy are both significantly more popular than Wolfgang before their reworks, and they got straight buffs. Hell, I've been a Wolfgang maxi for years, but I'm seriously considering switching for Wigfrid for my next early game world.

7 minutes ago, cybers2001 said:

Wigfrid and Wendy are both significantly more popular than Wolfgang before their reworks, and they got straight buffs. Hell, I've been a Wolfgang maxi for years, but I'm seriously considering switching for Wigfrid for my next early game world.

is this supposed to be some terrible horrific thing? Good for you for exploring other characters

40 minutes ago, cybers2001 said:

It’s unfortunate to hear people say things like this, Wolfgang still excels BEST at what he is intended to do BEST: and that’s take down bosses in less time with less tools wasted.

This was Klei’s own words.. each character has a role: And Wolfgang’s is beating up the bosses.

Sure you can pick Wigfrid to do it I guess… but she won’t ever be better then Wolfgang at doing what he is designed to do best.

4 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

It’s unfortunate to hear people say things like this, Wolfgang still excels BEST at what he is intended to do BEST: and that’s take down bosses in less time with less tools wasted.

This was Klei’s own words.. each character has a role: And Wolfgang’s is beating up the bosses.

Sure you can pick Wigfrid to do it I guess… but she won’t ever be better then Wolfgang at doing what he is designed to do best.

Yeah but the point is both wigfrid and Wendy weren't gutted in their rework and they are vastly more popular

2 hours ago, Starlogy said:

I really fail to see how old Wolfgang is stronger than the new one considering Wolfgang maintains 2x damage whenever he's mighty now instead of the scaling garbage it used to be.

because a 2x dmg boost isn't that good while speed is the best stat on the game

2 hours ago, Starlogy said:

Cause you aren't attacking things 9 minutes each day, you are, however, walking most of the time. Beefalo counteracts that as well, since it gives tons of speed early anyway, but that also means wolf's new piggyback / marble suit speed bonus is useless. What makes Wolf's speed useful is to use it in fights and when off beef accessing things at base + pre beef. And Old wolf still had good damage, averaging 1.88x, which really does not make much of a difference at all, especially on mobs (only 8 damage less than consistent 2x). In longer fights he is also much easier to maintain, non cheese bq he has to lift weights mid fight which is pretty hard to manage since he doesn't have enough speed to easily disengage to workout.

12 minutes ago, Third Porkus said:

Cause you aren't attacking things 9 minutes each day, you are, however, walking most of the time. Beefalo counteracts that as well, since it gives tons of speed early anyway, but that also means wolf's new piggyback / marble suit speed bonus is useless. What makes Wolf's speed useful is to use it in fights and when off beef accessing things at base + pre beef. And Old wolf still had good damage, averaging 1.88x, which really does not make much of a difference at all, especially on mobs (only 8 damage less than consistent 2x). In longer fights he is also much easier to maintain, non cheese bq he has to lift weights mid fight which is pretty hard to manage since he doesn't have enough speed to easily disengage to workout.

you've just explained why the speed boost was too good

I was just thinking. A neat little fluff detail they could add is the ability for Mighty Wolfgang to pick up and carry stationary structures such as alchemy engines, crockpots, chests, etc for easier relocation without the hassle of having to hammer them every time you place them a smidge too far to the left. 

2 minutes ago, TheMelonNinja said:

I was just thinking. A neat little fluff detail they could add is the ability for Mighty Wolfgang to pick up and carry stationary structures such as alchemy engines, crockpots, chests, etc for easier relocation without the hassle of having to hammer them every time you place them a smidge too far to the left. 

i like this, but the launch date is getting dangerously close

3 minutes ago, Well-met said:

i like this, but the launch date is getting dangerously close

Yeah... I'm fairly certain that launch day is gonna be what we were originally getting but with some fine-tuned number tweaks, but I don't think people would complain about some post-launch patches. Here's hoping!

28 minutes ago, TheMelonNinja said:

Only problem I have with this is the troll Wolfgang’s carrying your base to HIS base while your down in caves or off exploring new ocean biomes.

It is indeed because of trolls (and multiplayer in general..) that we can not have nice fancy new toys..

2 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Only problem I have with this is the troll Wolfgang’s carrying your base to HIS base while your down in caves or off exploring new ocean biomes.

It is indeed because of trolls (and multiplayer in general..) that we can not have nice fancy new toys..

Oh man, I completely forgot about trolls. I never think about griefers a lot since I exclusively play with friends (I'm way too paranoid to play with randoms), but it's an issue that should be addressed. 

I guess there could be a system where, if Wolfgang tried to carry someone else's structures, he would have to wait until they whitelist him? I'm not sure how that would work, but... 

Nobody remembers when Winona came out and everybody hated her? (I still never see people play her though). She had 2 perks that had extreme niche situations and her duct tape which wasn't even a new item it was just a cheap sewing kit.

It wasn't until the addition of of her gadgets that people started to warm up to her character cause it actually brought something brand new and completely unique only to her.

(She's still unpopular tho)

1 hour ago, Well-met said:

you've just explained why the speed boost was too good

I'll explain here why it isn't: 

Tiles travelled in a day by Wolfgang eating / harvesting berries: 828.06 

Tiles travelled in a day by Wolfgang eating / picking carrots: 860.69 

Tiles travelled in a day by Wolfgang eating / harvesting juicy berries: 858.47

Tiles travelled in a day by Wolfgang eating / harvesting berries and getting mighty: 622

Tiles travelled in a day by Wolfgang eating / picking carrots and getting mighty: 810

Tiles travelled in a day by Wolfgang eating / harvesting juicy berries and getting mighty: 836

Wilson travels 720 tiles in a day, if you account for his food then 700. Wolfgang eating berries is 80 tiles slower than wilson (tile meaning dug up pitchfork square). So yes, most of the time it is a benefit, but thats what a benefit is, and this shows that if you manage it wrong he is weaker than wilson. In fights this can be used but thats what a benefit is. He is stronger than wilson but in no way overpowered, he is just a good character. His strength changes between skills. Very bad players find him annoying cause higher hunger, mid range find him easy for bosses they can't usually beat, and very good players find him unnecessary for beating bosses, so he is just a little bit better stats.

now beefalo: in the first 6 days of taming the average speed is 35%, which includes the time it takes to gather resources for the beefalo. this will get to be 65% by day 22-23 if you start taming fast, and with glossamer it will be 2x wilson's speed. 

26 minutes ago, Cloakingsumo198 said:

Nobody remembers when Winona came out and everybody hated her? (I still never see people play her though). She had 2 perks that had extreme niche situations and her duct tape which wasn't even a new item it was just a cheap sewing kit.

It wasn't until the addition of of her gadgets that people started to warm up to her character cause it actually brought something brand new and completely unique only to her.

(She's still unpopular tho)

But people who play wolfgang to like him, tons of people are perfectly happy with how he plays 

6 minutes ago, Third Porkus said:

But people who play wolfgang to like him, tons of people are perfectly happy with how he plays 

I see alot of hate about the old Wolfgang from people who never play him, and alot of people saying they prefer this new wolf despite him not being fundamentally different and overall weaker.

9 minutes ago, Cloakingsumo198 said:

I see alot of hate about the old Wolfgang from people who never play him, and alot of people saying they prefer this new wolf despite him not being fundamentally different and overall weaker.

People who don't play him shouldn't be the judge: some people just don't like certain characters, and other people do. I mean I hate winona wurt and webber but am not asking them to be reworked so that I can play them once and then continue with my other characters

4 minutes ago, Mangrove said:

I feel like I'm in such a minority for liking old Wolfgang's linear might and food juggling in fights

agreed

2 minutes ago, Third Porkus said:

People who don't play him shouldn't be the judge: some people just don't like certain characters, and other people do. I mean I hate winona wurt and webber but am not asking them to be reworked so that I can play them once and then continue with my other characters

Well consider us in the same boat friend, not everyone has been as sensible or open as you

bearded-guy-send-kiss-behind-two-girls.gif

I don't know about alot of you, but I actually like this update! Instead of the glutton we use to have, these changes seem to actually bring the character closer to real strongmen who work for what they have. For strategies playing the character, typically the player would either do a boss rush, or ruins rush to gain many later game benefits early on. Though I do agree these changes impact those strategies heavily with the removal of his mighty speed boost and changes to the accessible damage buff, I think this may have been for the best.

Building mightiness

With these changes, the biggest challenge he now faces is early game, now not able to build his strength up simply a stuffing his mouth, he'll have to search for material to better help the build up. This really is the deal breaker for many, but I think it really just brings him in line much better with the cast. Once you have a mighty gym setup, building up your might seems to be a breeze compared to how your starting days. Heck the heavies weight (Current to the beta release) are large vegetables and boss statues,which if you do right can be established on the gym easily by spring thanks to the Deerclops or if the proper amount of care and luck towards gardening is done late autumn or early-midwinter. 

Sanity 

I believe the changes to sanity also supports my belief that the update serves to help discourage ruin rushing as the common strategy in a server with friends is to have everyone spread out and search for the ruins. "Wolfgang now takes a 25% sanity penalty from the dark and from shadow creatures, but if he is in range of other survivors that penalty falls back down to 10%" With that change, it will encourage having proximity to others basically rendering the splitting strategy more difficult early on without anything to buffer his sanity. I would also like to point out that the feature also seems to better fit his story since the circus is usually teaming with company. More so, the strongman usually seems to be thrown in the category of the circus freakshow which found many people bond with eachother through their unique qualities. Having to adapt to the lifestyle of the constant would really be about adapting to a new unique family.

I do also want to add, I think he should gain a small constant sanity increase while exercising as it would give further benefit to standing in one place for so long. I think that could be easily explained if it were added like it being a reminder of where he came from.

Speed Nerf/Removal

This probably is a further deterrent toward ruin/boss rushing to bring him in line better with the survivors. Wolfgang usually excelled way to well at those two tasks, being the reason many speed runners played him over much of the cast. Now this may be up for debate but i'd like to point out that weightlifting doesn't really build build your leg muscles much...Man skipped leg day.

Small miscellaneous additions/notes

I honestly really like these changes to our strongest cast member. The ability to carry some heavier things like a marble suit of piggy back without penalty is honestly rather unique to say the least along with adding a small amount of more utility to marble. Mightiness only really gets drained rapidly when you are literally starving, so that's awesome making it last much longer without having to stuff your gut. 

Archived