Which boss do you think needs a rework?

Considering DST is a 2017 game (it came out in 2017 on Xbox anyway..) and that it once was the stand alone expansion to the 2013 game DS, a lot of its biomes, mechanics, bosses and game design could use a 2021 overhaul in “fun factor”

Just look at how Klei expanded and re-invented Fishing, Farming & Boating Mechanics.

Now if only they can show that same kind of love to some now outdated other areas of the game..

Take Dragonfly as an example, this thing should have a cool Flamethrower attack or something that prevents attacking it from the front or whatever…

The bosses could use some 2021 updates.

And personally since Klei went through the trouble of adding a “jump” mechanic for hoping onto or off boats, I would like to see us getting an actual “jump” button and some new enemy attacks that require timing those jumps to avoid damage.

Dragonfly slams the ground and a tidal wave of lava you can jump over to avoid damage rushes out in expanding AoE.

Its unlikely to ever happen.. but I can dream that combat gets the same Overhaul Farming, Fishing & Boating got- can’t I?

The real question is if they are really gonna consider actually redoing something that stayed in the past, not a very klei-ish thing to do

And dont bring the generic example of "but reap what you sow!" Because there is countless implementations that the community pointed out as bad and yet nothing has been done to fix those

i will take the opportunity to talk about annoying is beequee's despawn mechanic, why she despawn that quickly even if you are near her, she will despawn instead of aggro you

not fun to lose 20 min fighting her just to see how she despawns because it took you 3 seconds to kill a couple of hounds near her

3 hours ago, Capybara007 said:

The real question is if they are really gonna consider actually redoing something that stayed in the past, not a very klei-ish thing to do

And dont bring the generic example of "but reap what you sow!" Because there is countless implementations that the community pointed out as bad and yet nothing has been done to fix those

if klei are smart enough they will change AG and not just a little

his desing, combat and being atached to one of the most important gameloops is bad for the game

klei should start fixing the game instead of adding more content. Isnt that exciting to recieve an update if i think that i will have to deal with AG, fishing in the oasis, useless and annoying biomes like 2nd decidious or 2nd meteor field, etc

and dont make me started with how they dont finish the updates, is like they prefer to launch 1 update per month instead of polishing the updates. idk how good is that for the business since all the hype created with a new update might be less if the player thinks about things like not balancing wigfrid songs, some nonsense with crops nutrients  (why some useless veggies has thr same values than the good ones?), walter slingshot being very underwhelming , CK loot, imcomplete celestial tap, wes not having anything useful after 10 days, milkhat being meh, CC crown being useless for many characters, etc

sure, sometimes they fix and balance some stuff like how they added the un-root mechanic to the strident trident or the balances after wanda release (which wouldn't be needed if someone test the fights before xD) after her release but many times they just let things as they release it even if nobody will interact with it which is sad, that stuff took time and letting it be forgotten... i would be sad if i desing something and nobody likes it

and lets see what will happen with shield of terror, i hope they buff it but is very likely to end like wigfrid's fire resistance song...

all of these was simply my opinion and how i see things from my player perspective. im aware that klei can't do all the stuff they wish so they need to prioritize some things and forgot about others even if is just changing a number (sure, is just a number but there is many numbers to change)

edit: oh and just remember cut content because of time. men, we dont care if an update takes longer if it will mean that you dont cut things like the eyes from moon fissures, lilipads waterlogged little fellas, all the crazy stuff from the grotto, concept items from wes rework, etc

30 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

like not balancing wigfrid songs, some crops nutrients are unbalanced (why some useless veggies has thr same values than the good ones?), walter slingshot, CK loot, imcomplete celestial tap, wes not having anything useful after 10 days, milkhat being meh, CC crown being useless for many characters, etc

Even though i agree with your point i also want to add that klei will most likely avoid "balance" if they can, their statement is that its more important that you have fun instead of balancing things up

With that said there are implementations that are just not fun to try

As you pointed out, wigfrid's fireproof falsetto is the worst character specific item in the game, not only it is useless but also not fun to use

What people think is that "they dont like the new content because it is not useful" but that is not true, waterlogged didnt bringed anything important to the table yet it is such a fun biome to explore

Just because it isnt super useful doesnt mean it has to be uninteresting, but with these additions such as ck loot, wigfrid songs and items that arent even worth the craft, not because they are useless but because they arent fun, klei should reconsider revisiting those parts of the game, even if it means no updates for a month

Or maybe they find more financial to just keep adding stuff, which if thats the case, i guess im no one to tell them stuff

6 minutes ago, Capybara007 said:

Even though i agree with your point i also want to add that klei will most likely avoid "balance" if they can, their statement is that its more important that you have fun instead of balancing things up

With that said there are implementations that are just not fun to try

As you pointed out, wigfrid's fireproof falsetto is the worst character specific item in the game, not only it is useless but also not fun to use

What people think is that "they dont like the new content because it is not useful" but that is not true, waterlogged didnt bringed anything important to the table yet it is such a fun biome to explore

Just because it isnt super useful doesnt mean it has to be uninteresting, but with these additions such as ck loot, wigfrid songs and items that arent even worth the craft, not because they are useless but because they arent fun, klei should reconsider revisiting those parts of the game, even if it means no updates for a month

Or maybe they find more financial to just keep adding stuff, which if thats the case, i guess im no one to tell them stuff

with balance i mean making things useful. I dont think they should waste time balancing things per se but they should buff or refresh underwhelming new stuff and some of the older since the game mechanics have change like how night lights now aren't strong because nightmerefuel isnt as easy to amass in dst

you mentioned the whole point, being fun. That is what makes terror shield an underwhelming item, is because with that low durability you have to be constanly checking its durability which isnt fun. is fun that i breaks but isnt fun having to stop every 20 hits to refill it just to prevent breaking it after not kitting one 150damage hit

1 minute ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

with balance i mean making things useful. I dont think they should waste time balancing things per se but they should buff or refresh underwhelming new stuff and some of the older since the game mechanics have change like how night lights now aren't strong because nightmerefuel isnt as easy to amass in dst

you mentioned the whole point, being fun. That is what makes terror shield an underwhelming item, is because with that low durability you have to be constanly checking its durability which isnt fun. is fun that i breaks but isnt fun having to stop every 20 hits to refill it just to prevent breaking it after not kitting one 150damage hit

What if the shield just consumes food from the inventory if it takes a killing blow? So it'll still break but the player no longer needs to refill it constantly.

2 minutes ago, SecretPizzaMan said:

What if the shield just consumes food from the inventory if it takes a killing blow? So it'll still break but the player no longer needs to refill it constantly.

no, i like paying attention rather than having a stack of meat stews (actually monster meat) while brainless  hitting and tanking

with just 50 or 100 more durability i will be happy ( or the damn dash Zark!!)

AG on all counts.

And also unpopular opinion but all bosses should get significantly higher damage but lower hp.

As is now,  it's a pain to solo them only because of their HP and in parties you can tank and wipe them.

Deerclops and Bearger should get higher HP but under 10k.

1 minute ago, reallychina said:

Deerclops and Bearger should get higher HP but under 10k.

I dont think thats a good idea since those bosses cant be ignored, you either face them or leave them where they dont bother you and hopefully dont cause any problem.

Anyway, my main vote would likely be Toadstool, for how much of a pain his fight is, he doesnt really offer a reward thats worth the effort and resources usually needed.

Theres also AG, which is a joke of a boss easily abusable. 

26 minutes ago, Dextops said:

beequeen i hate her so badly there is nothing fun about this boss and if you like her then you've been lied to your entire childhood

I think the only part of her fight that really sucks is the middle phase, where she always has more than 1 grumblebee, but doesn't send them at you hyperspeed. This just needs constant cheesing via panflute or freezing, which sucks. First phase, you kill all but 1 grumblebee and tank BQ. Last phase, when the grumbles come at you with hyperspeed, you lure them away from BQ and when they calm down, you rush to BQ and do as much damage as pissible before the grumbles are back. That actually makes sense, but constantly needing to knock the grumbles out seems like nonsense.

1 minute ago, Falkenpelz said:

This just needs constant cheesing via panflute or freezing, which sucks.

or taking advantage of her having more speed than the bees so you isolate her and fight her. While you split her use fire staff (or darts) to deal damage in moments you couldnt  (also useful when you wait her command in the 3rd and 4th phase)

2 minutes ago, Falkenpelz said:

I think the only part of her fight that really sucks is the middle phase, where she always has more than 1 grumblebee, but doesn't send them at you hyperspeed. This just needs constant cheesing via panflute or freezing, which sucks. First phase, you kill all but 1 grumblebee and tank BQ. Last phase, when the grumbles come at you with hyperspeed, you lure them away from BQ and when they calm down, you rush to BQ and do as much damage as pissible before the grumbles are back. That actually makes sense, but constantly needing to knock the grumbles out seems like nonsense.

i hate the boss so badly because in solo it isn't fun its a pain in the ass and then when you play with people she melts

even crab king is better than beeqeen at least hes better played with multiple people

5 hours ago, Capybara007 said:

The answer to this should be rather obvious but in the odd case that it is not- The start of Return of Them updates was labeled as a new content branch. That updates original post- was found Here:

Travel to new lands? This seems to imply there will eventually be more than just the Lunar Island.

but the really interesting part is actually right here-

Strange, mutating effects of the moon growing stronger??  It seems to imply that the moon itself having fallen into the constant at all has caused a “ripple effect” through out the game world itself as a whole.

Don’t Starve Together getting monthly content updates puts it on par with most live service games- it’s constantly changing and evolving with each passing update.

So yes- technically Klei could mutate the heck out of every boss in the game to have strange new powers and new looks & DST would be more of a Dont Starve 2 at that point.

Ancient Guardian may be the one most in need of an overhaul but I’d be willing to bet all my gambling chips he isn’t the only thing on Klei’s radar to give a 2022 take-on.

Every boss needs a rework. Some of them are pain to do solo but as soon as you add even one or two players they get destroyed completely. 

So my suggestion is that every boss should have a scaling difficulty depending on the amount of players fighting it(it doesn't have to be just hp increase) 

I think all the bosses are fun to fight right now, but too easy and boring with multiple players. I think they should get new attacks (not any sort of scaling, just new mechanics) if several players are fighting them. Would be fun if there was also some way to trigger the extra mechanics without enough players for an additional challenge.

In a multiplayer environment I think most bosses work really well and don't need much of a change.

The one boss that really needs an adjustment regardless of multiplayer or not as many have said already is probably ancient guardian, though in my opinion that is mostly because cheesing him is basically built into the fight's arena almost and the alternative since the stunlock change is a fairly lengthy fight of the same pattern over and over.

Otherwise a lot of the raid bosses only really suffer for solo players.
I understand that this is Don't Starve Together and I'll get a lot of flak for this again because this is not DS and so on, but just because the content focuses around multiple players does not mean the experience for solo players has to be unenjoyable in certain ways. Having fair fights that are enjoyable both for multiple people as well as individual people does not have to be and is not mutually exclusive, as bosses such as Dragonfly, Klaus and the Ancient Fuelweaver (itself) can prove. Heck, even the recently added terraria bosses are fun regardless of playercount in my eyes.

I only have gripes with most other raid bosses in solo environments. Beequeen, Toadstool (especially misery) and crab king (ESPECIALLY with the pearl) are all super long fights provided you dont have an easy set up or cheese on hand. Don't get me wrong, cheesing bosses is absolutely fine, my issue lies in cheesing being the least unfun option (at least to me and maybe some others) compared to a fight with basic equipment such as armor, weapons and a few minor tools.

I'm generally not the biggest fan of bosses in games, but I can at least appreciate well made bosses that are fun, and I'm missing that last part when tackling these solo. Most of them are just really tanky whilst offering some quirk that ends up requiring a bunch of expensive equipment to deal with... or well you just happen to be lucky and have 2 other people to consistently play with or like playing on public servers.

That's a thing DS' hamlet dlc has done really well in my opinion actually, even if I was not really a fan of how it turned out overall in the end. The bosses were genuinely fun, had their own unique quirks and such but without feeling unfair or tedious in a way. Granted that is in part due to their health not being inflated for multiple people whaling on them, but even regardless of that they just have interesting attack patterns that go beyond just walking up to the nearest target and attacking or spawning a load of things at once that you are forced to deal with constantly.

Archived