[Poll] On The Terraria Crossover, Postmortem

NOW ITS TIME TO BE A [[BIG SHOT!]]  

137 members have voted

1. 1. What do you feel about the An Eye For An Eye Update?

• Very Satisfied.
    • Satisfied.
    • Unsatisfied.
    • Very Unsatisfied.
    • I have no strong feelings regarding the update
  2. 2. What is the most fleshed-out, though-of part of the update for you?

• The new bosses
    • The new items
    • The new item skins
    • The new world customization options
  3. 3. If you answered "Very Satisfied/Satisfied", why so?

• The update adds new, immersive content.
    • The update brought lots of needed aesthetic changes to DST
    • The update adds new strategies for players to deal with existing challenges.
    • The update adds the best possible quality and quantity of content from Terraria into DST.
    • I voted "Very Unsatisfied/Unsatisfied".
    • I voted "No strong feelings".
    • Other (do mention in the comments!)
  4. 4. If you answered "Very Unsatisfied/Unsatisfied", why so?

• The update brought lots of unneeded mechanical changes to DST
    • The update brought lots of unneeded aesthetic changes to DST
    • The update does not improve upon existing gameplay.
    • The update adds too little of the most basic content possible that can be added from Terraria.
    • The update could have been executed in some other shape or form (e.g. an event like The Forge)
    • I voted "Very Satisfied/Satisfied."
    • I voted "No strong feelings."
    • Other (do mention in the comments)

The bosses are cool, their drops are kind of underwhelming, infinite football helmet is fine, but gets outclassed by bone armour. The shield being an "infinite weapon" is cool, but afaik it can still break, so I'll probably be sticking to beefalo. I'm mostly disappointed by the fact only 4 new items were added, but a bunch of skins were added instead.

I love the portable boss health scaling device, even if that was never Klei’s intentions to be used in that way.. (doubtful considering there’s an animated short depicting it..)

Some of you may be NEW here to these forums so I’ll let you in on some common forum goer knowledge- The Animated Shorts/Gameplay Trailers Klei puts out shows HINTS at how to do something inside the game.

Take the Terraria x DST crossover trailer as Example- Wortox blinks into the world having stollen the Terrarium, he is carefully holding it and admiring his heisted loots- when Wilson (of course it’s always Wilson..) Smashes into him from behind causing him to drop it, activating and well… you get the idea.

So personally I don’t think they would show an animated short of the thing accidentally being summoned to “Eat” Bearger if it wasn’t intended gameplay.

I also love the new Eye pet.

Im a bit sad that we only got a few things while on the Terraria side it seems they racked up on DS stuff.. but- it’s nothing they can’t fix in future updates..

We have a Terraria world Gen setting now- Utilize it, let the new “Peepers” that spawn only while fighting the boss become a common everyday mob, and I will be a lot happier with this update.

Theres a skin that reskins Lureplants, now just let them spit out “peepers” to protect them and I’d be happy.

They could even be locked behind having to kill the boss for the first time if needed.

I just look at what Terraria got compared to what DST got & can’t help but feel a little sad we got significantly less stuff that wasn’t a skin of an already existing item.

44 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

I love the portable boss health scaling device, even if that was never Klei’s intentions to be used in that way.. (doubtful considering there’s an animated short depicting it..)

I don't know exactly what stage Dev has in mind, but eyes was designed in that way.586533006_QQ20211120113220.thumb.png.67d547c3c457904f781a04415dead6aa.png.

I really enjoy the skins added along with EoC, however I dislike the twins fight. Mechanically it’s just 2 powered-up, very easily separable, EoC’s. I would have preferred if their designs were more accurate to how they are in terraria (the big issues I have are their colors and retinazer’s phase 2 laser pointer replaced by just another mouth), and if they had at least 1 new attack each, to make the fight more distinct from the regular EoC fight and less repetitive (which it is right now, considering their combined 20k hp), and to better represent the twins.

My only complaint about the update are the twins. It definitly feels like Klei had a bit of extra time on their hands and decided to add the twins in as a last-minute thought, rather than as a fully fleshed-out boss like The eye of Terror.

See: Having almost the exact same AI, Neither twin having the abilities they're actually known for (Cursed flames and lasers), The twins summoning peepers despite being made of metal. Other than that though, all the stuff is really good. 

I quite enjoy everything except for the bosses which is a shame since that’s usually one of my favorite parts! They seem like a slightly more engaging ancient guardian I guess? Not a tremendous fan as it seems like the eye of terror is fine the way that it is, but the twins definitely are decently big let-down and don’t bring anything mechanically unique to fighting in terms of as an upgrade from the easier version of the fight and to DST combat/boss fights in general. 

speaking from my own personal bias, i had greater expectations than what we we received, but I'm also aware that my expectations (i.e. underground Plantera fight with boss music, Forge event in Terraria) would have been far and above what is currently feasible, I suppose.

I do like that this content update in particular is giving me the drive to sink time into both DST and Terraria. For dst, the new world settings remind me of all the spring starts I did in the Reign of Giants days. For Terraria, I sure want to try Abigail + firecracker summoner at sone point now.

8 hours ago, Theukon-dos said:

My only complaint about the update are the twins. It definitly feels like Klei had a bit of extra time on their hands and decided to add the twins in as a last-minute thought, rather than as a fully fleshed-out boss like The eye of Terror.

See: Having almost the exact same AI, Neither twin having the abilities they're actually known for (Cursed flames and lasers), The twins summoning peepers despite being made of metal. Other than that though, all the stuff is really good. 

I was thinking the exact same thing. All I really want now in this update is the twins to have a fire and laser attack. That would be perfect.

4 minutes ago, thegreatJash said:

I was thinking the exact same thing. All I really want now in this update is the twins to have a fire and laser attack. That would be perfect.

Highly unlikely to ever happen, for the Lazer they can just copy Feastclops.. but for the “Flamethrower” not even Dragonfly breathes fire… Klei has Fire Elements in the game but outside of Fire Hounds and Fire Saladmander- they seem to be afraid of adding more fire capable mobs..

Probably because of the massive grieving potential fire based mobs have.

44 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Highly unlikely to ever happen, for the Lazer they can just copy Feastclops.. but for the “Flamethrower” not even Dragonfly breathes fire… Klei has Fire Elements in the game but outside of Fire Hounds and Fire Saladmander- they seem to be afraid of adding more fire capable mobs..

Probably because of the massive grieving potential fire based mobs have.

Spazmatizm spits cursed fire that doesn't spread to objects or structures. Boom, problem solved.

Eye hat is so cool for being so weak, but at least it's available to anyone early game and definitely more practical than having to farm monster meat to craft football helmets. Same about the shield, looks weak but it's a versatile weapon/armor that could change how combat works, I can imagine using it to tank bosses with other armor pieces so it doesn't get broken by accident. Balanced, I would say.

The boss fight is funny to play with others, not having to do long quests to fight them and receiving the message "The eye/s gaze over random person" (which happened to me 2 out of 3 times as Wes, could it be he suffers the same as with hounds or it was coincidence?), and even funnier when it spawns on unsuspecting people.

About the skins, I wasn't interested in more than 4 of them, but I love those 4, I didn't have enough spools for more than 6 anyway.

I'm still worried about the griefing potential of the Terrarium, being stolen or used once and again to punish people. But that's it, I'm learning how to fight bosses just now, this adds something to looks for.

The Eyemask can be repaired with any useless junk laying around (including 42 pieces of lose rot) simply drop it into the ground and then “feed” it. It eats both meat and Veggies and rot/wet goop.

It also doesn’t take negative health if feed normally “bad to the player foods”

As WURT I know where all those spoiled fish morsels I didn’t see in my swamp are going (unless I hammer them for bone shards first)

It has decent-ish enough durability to be useful against Deerclops and Bearger to successfully fight them without burning through football helmets/armors.

The Eyemask can take a Bearger Slam and Swipe and still have enough durability left over to be repaired.

Other useful tips: It only loses durability when it’s actually taking damage & being worn so you can take it off and repair it without fear of it losing durability.

People want these things to not break at 0% durability but I think they’re fine as is- if they did not ever break you would have no reason to ever need to fight the boss again.

like with all things in DS- paying attention to how much % a certain thing has left on it: is highly vital.

1 minute ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

really? it should work with a controller like fueling a miner hat

Nope feeding it only pops up when you put it on the ground for me, with a Dpad prompt while selecting food in inventory near to it.

Feeding Merm King is the same annoying way though, sometimes the prompt to feed him doesn’t pop up and the rot you wanted to feed him.. Wurt ends up eating instead :wilson_cry:

I also don’t see any options at all whatsoever to socket ANYTHING into the Terrarium.. like there’s not even a button prompt for that.

Archived