Opinions on EoC’s name change?

Cthulhu or Terror?  

131 members have voted

1. 1. Which name do you prefer?

• Eye of Cthulhu
    • Eye of Terror
    • I don’t have a preference

This name was probably changed intentionally by both teams working together. By doing so the reference is pretty clear but not so direct, perhaps it is also the reason why Moon Lord isn't called "Cthulhu" in terraria.

I actually like Eye of Terror more because it doesn't need any further explanation which Eye of Cthulhu would require.

EDIT:
I also found this little thing on r/dontstarve
image.png.5f0242f0b2ee8c6b34fedb6c7a6b9e83.png

Its whatever for me, though I guess renaming it makes more sense. I can kinda see how boss names in DST are more... descriptive? Couldnt find a better word. They are usually names that someone (a survivor) would give to them on the spot if they happened to find them. "That giant floating eye? Ah, I know, Eye of Terror!". If they had kept the "Cthulhu" part, then that would imply that they know what Cthulhu is and they are certain that a random giant eye is somehow related to it.

14 minutes ago, Maybe a dog said:

Its whatever for me, though I guess renaming it makes more sense. I can kinda see how boss names in DST are more... descriptive? Couldnt find a better word. They are usually names that someone (a survivor) would give to them on the spot if they happened to find them. "That giant floating eye? Ah, I know, Eye of Terror!". If they had kept the "Cthulhu" part, then that would imply that they know what Cthulhu is and they are certain that a random giant eye is somehow related to it.

Yup, the names on DST are usually quite literal to the appearance of the creature. 

52 minutes ago, I am Armor said:

The reason Steve (yes that is Moonlord's canonical name) isn't named Cthulhu is because Cthulhu is his older brother.

He was jokingly stated to be Cthulhus brother but the devs released the lore of the game and it only makes sense that the Moon Lord is the corpse of Cthulhu. Before the player goes in the game the Dryads combined all their power to rip Cthulhu into pieces(literally) which is why you fight his eye and his brain, the cultists would later worship these things and force the mechanic to build mechanical copies of these to harness the power for themselves.

The reason the Moon Lord has no legs is because the Dryads ripped him in half, and the name Cthulhu was specifically stated.

The devs joke about lore a lot, they said that the Moon Lord is the guides father which people can't tell is a joke or not.

13 hours ago, YouKnowWho said:

I like it a lot. It sounds like the name from one of those old hollywood monster movies, which fits in with the aesthetic really well

This.. I grew up watching corny old school movies like Attack of the Killer Tomatoes or Terror in the Skies, Eye of Terror fits that theme perfectly, the people in the constant aside from maybe Wortox who brought this thing into our dimension have no idea what an eye of Chutlulu is.. but to everyone else- they just see a giant creepy floating eyeball that terrorizes them.

play as wurt.. Klei added hundreds of strings of dialogue to the game that is absolutely cute… I summoned this thing into my Kingdom of Merms and all the Merms cry out stuff like

“It has come to destroy us!!”

Archived