[Game Update] - 486258

• Developer

Hello everyone,

Today’s update to the Public Testing branch contains a number of bug fixes, tuning changes, and other improvements we wanted to make sure got in before Spaced Out! approaches launch.

Some notable items include: 

Automation of the Interplanetary Payload Opener. 
Duplicants no longer need to manually operate the building while it opens a payload.

Increased Rover capabilities.
Rover can construct buildings up to and including the second tech tier.

Updated tuning for Experiment 52b.
Roughly 8x as much resin is now produced per kcal, though the production speed is now much lower.

Improved Duplicant anti-entombment code.
The anti-entombment code is much less aggressive when searching for a place to move duplicants when they are covered by falling tiles (such as sand). This should reduce the amount of Duplicants that are being teleported into weird locations - but may result in more duplicants being entombed instead.

Full patch notes are listed below. 

Changes and Improvements

• All versions
    • The anti-entombment code is much less aggressive when searching for a place to move Duplicants when they are covered by falling tiles (such as sand).
  • Spaced Out! only
    • Payload Opener no longer requires dupe operation but it does require power.
    • Liquid Sucrose now transitions to Carbon Dioxide at 230 C. 
    • Adjusted thermal conductivity and specific heat capacity of solid/liquid Sucrose.
    • Revised Experiment 52b tuning to produce significantly more resin per kcal (200kcal/kg) but at a much slower rate.
    • Added hyperlinks for Botanical Analyzer and Radiation Lamp in Plant Mutations codex entry
    • Added sound for Mini-Pod activation animation
    • Added hammer strike sound for Mini-Pod, Manual Radbolt Generator and Radiation Lamp
    • More asteroid icon revisions
    • Database entries for Rocket modules now include basic data about power/burden and height.
    • Rover can now build buildings up to the second tier.
    • Swapped order of Moonlet Cluster Desolands and Frozen Forest.
    • World trait icon revisions
    • Removed Experimental tag from Moonlet Clusters.
    • Renamed a couple more asteroids
    • Updated Radbolt Chamber artwork.
    • Worldgen
      • Moonlet Cluster asteroids no longer share orbits as it was causing a number of issues.
      • Added world traits to Moonlet Cluster asteroids.
      • Metallic Swampy no longer guarantees Metal Rich world trait.
      • Changed Jungle biome on Desolands asteroid to use Spaced Out critter/plant/seed tuning.
      • Allow Metallic Caves world trait on smaller asteroids.
      • Added a new POI to Regolith Asteroid.
      • Made the sea bed thicker on Water Asteroid.
      • Improved worldgen rules to prevent failure in placing landing area of Water Moonlet and Superconductive Asteroid.

Fixes

• All versions.
    • Fixed a collision bug which made Duplicants think they were entombed when they were not. This resulted in anti-entombment code triggering more often than it should.
    • Duplicants no longer occasionally slide off a tile to the right while falling in a liquid.
    • Gantry is considered a building for filtered tools.
    • Removed FOW from Jungle POI that was not being cleared when opening a door.
  • Base game only.
    • Fixed issue allowing UI hotkeys to be activated while changing a rocket's name in the Starmap.
  • Spaced Out! only.
    • Rocket Port Loaders/Unloaders now consume power while loading/unloading.  
    • Fixed rocket diagnostic crash when a rocket leaves an asteroid.
    • Rocket module list no longer resets position to top after a selection is made.
    • The anti-entombment code will no longer teleport duplicants into closed doors.
    • Fixed issue preventing consumables screen from scrolling horizontally while hovering over an Asteroid divider/header.
    • Crash landing dupes now count toward Cluster Conquest achievement.
    • Rover no longer plays sounds while stored.
    • Fixed issue where rocket flight ETA was being calculated incorrectly in some cases.
    • Fixed Duplicants sometimes being trapped in a rocket after the Spacefarer module is reordered. 
    • Lowered internal priority of Payload Opener delivery chore.
    • Fixed crash hovering over Radbolt status item of destroyed Radbolt.

View full update

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3
  • GL Happy 1
  • Potato Cup 1

8 minutes ago, sakura_sk said:

Desolands... and where did Terra go?! :o

image.png.5caa726a139b79f8d993e1bcde4c9f57.png

Did all cluster names changed?

They were changed in the last update. Including:

SO:

Forest Cluster -> Folia Cluster

Terra Cluster -> Terrania Cluster

Swamp Cluster -> Swampy Cluster (-> Quagmiris Cluster (in this update) )

Moonlet Cluster - The Badlands-> Moonlet Cluster - The Desolands (in this update)

Classic:

Large Terra Cluster -> Terra Cluster

Large Swamp Cluster -> Squelchy Cluster

Edited by Xheepey87
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, JarrettM said:
  • Spaced Out! only
    • Payload Opener no longer requires dupe operation but it does require power.

Nice, more of a reason to use it.

• Liquid Sucrose now transitions to Carbon Dioxide at 230 C. 
    • Adjusted thermal conductivity and specific heat capacity of solid/liquid Sucrose.

Well, there goes my abuse of sucrose for transferring heat for power purposes. It was a little silly that basically caramel was one of the best options. Also nice to have another way to make carbon dioxide.

• Rover can now build buildings up to the second tier.

This is...interesting, and probably very useful, but I think it misses the mark on what the Rover should be. The main problem with rovers is they can get locked out of areas of an asteroid by materials like Granite. The other problem is they can't build the Rocket Platform needed for dupes to land without having first to come in a Trailblazer; note that the Rocket Platform is tier 3 in research, so like fridges, can't be built by the Rover.
Instead of becoming useful exploration/setup tools, Rovers now are likely to be things players spam out with meaningless launches to get basically free extra dupes. I do like the idea of a colony with robots helping out, but it shouldn't be tied to rocketry, and rocketry's robots really should be about getting into an asteroid easily and paving the way for dupes.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Nebbie said:

This is...interesting, and probably very useful, but I think it misses the mark on what the Rover should be. The main problem with rovers is they can get locked out of areas of an asteroid by materials like Granite. The other problem is they can't build the Rocket Platform needed for dupes to land without having first to come in a Trailblazer; note that the Rocket Platform is tier 3 in research, so like fridges, can't be built by the Rover.
Instead of becoming useful exploration/setup tools, Rovers now are likely to be things players spam out with meaningless launches to get basically free extra dupes. I do like the idea of a colony with robots helping out, but it shouldn't be tied to rocketry, and rocketry's robots really should be about getting into an asteroid easily and paving the way for dupes.

I feel they should exist to lay the foundation, not build the colony.  As such, I'm fine limiting what they can build, but I do agree that they need to be able to dig through granite so they set up the makings of a colony in a good spot.

• Like 3

Can we get some sort of hide icon or mini list of traits that appears on the screen without having to constantly scroll.      Basically the old world Gen trait listing display so I can just refresh over and over.   Really hate scrolling up and down.  The icons are pretty but not practical. 

Maybe tweak the UI somehow so that all the Worlds/Traits show up on the screen with no scroll bar.    There is all this dead space to the side.

Maybe move the asteroid horizontal graphics at the top  to have the asteroids appear to the side.

Right now you guys have a huge horizontal box along the top where the asteroids go side to side for selection.  and the world trait in a box that we have to scroll up and down.

Maybe get rid of the horizontal selection at the top and change it to a vertical selection to the side along side the world trait.  This gives you more vertical space for the traits.

Or maybe have 2 columns   nearby asteroids and distant asteroids.   widen the choose destination popup widnow.   this allows all the asteroids to appear with their traits.       

seriously,  the scrolling up and down is just horrible right now.

We go full screen to select dupes,  why not use more of the screen space to do world selection.    the popup window is so small and constrictive.   you could be using the entire screen space to show us all the world traits without scrolling.

Edited by RonEmpire
  • Like 2

Sounds good!

1. So I take it, payload delivery and unpacking can now be fully automatized? That should, for example, allow automatization of Experiment 53b without a dupe on the planetoid.
  2. Improved rover sounds good! Was a bit less useful than it should have been before.
  3. The anti-entombment tweaks sound interesting. Has been ages that I have had an entombed dupe, but I have had several in places they should never have been able to get into. Probably a good balance now, but, as usual, "those that fix code may be presented with emergent properties" ;-)
Edited by Gurgel

The anti-entombment code is much less aggressive when searching for a place to move duplicants when they are covered by falling tiles (such as sand). This should reduce the amount of Duplicants that are being teleported into weird locations - but may result in more duplicants being entombed instead.

wondering if my lift starts work now

Thanks for the update.

7 hours ago, JarrettM said:

Rover can now build buildings up to the second tier.

From my point of view biggest problem is rover's inability to get places. Without ability to dig to the building area, ability to build more doesn't change all that much.

Edited by AndreyKl
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, RonEmpire said:

Maybe move the asteroid horizontal graphics at the top  to have the asteroids appear to the side.

Maybe something like this?

Spoiler

20211117180247_3.thumb.jpg.06b00601343039724fb006c3fb6608a2.jpg

I made it ugly I know. But can be better, right?

7 hours ago, RonEmpire said:

We go full screen to select dupes,  why not use more of the screen space to do world selection.    the popup window is so small and constrictive.   you could be using the entire screen space to show us all the world traits without scrolling.

I think that's good. Especially we don't have a close button in this popup window. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, JarrettM said:

...before Spaced Out! approaches launch.

Does this mean we'll see a full Spaced Out! release in the next few... days, weeks?

I've been (im)patiently waiting for the full release to play "for real" again, and have just been playing around with new changes recently.

1 hour ago, DocLaeno said:

Does this mean we'll see a full Spaced Out! release in the next few... days, weeks?

I've been (im)patiently waiting for the full release to play "for real" again, and have just been playing around with new changes recently.

i not see that its complete yet, there still so many bugs 

17 hours ago, Nebbie said:

Rovers now are likely to be things players spam out with meaningless launches to get basically free extra dupes. I do like the idea of a colony with robots helping out, but it shouldn't be tied to rocketry, and rocketry's robots really should be about getting into an asteroid easily and paving the way for dupes.

Would be nice if rovers could have a recharge station, but in return had to be controlled by a dupe at times, remotely could be fine. atleast this way they would have some usefulness, while also needing occasional "tune-up" or what you would call it. - free dupes so far is nice, just reuse the materials once they run dry.

15 hours ago, Gurgel said:

Sounds good!

1. So I take it, payload delivery and unpacking can now be fully automatized? That should, for example, allow automatization of Experiment 53b without a dupe on the planetoid.

Just tried it. Autosweeper is not working for me. Dupes still need to transport them manually to the payload opener

• Thanks 2
  • Sad Dupe 1

17 hours ago, Nebbie said:

i usually used them to carve out a base for a duplicant to land into and live inside, now that they can build manual airlocks it's a lot easier to do this while keeping the oxygen bubbles inside the asteroid, and build basic life support systems with the rovers.

• Like 1