[Game Update] - 486258

1 hour ago, Squeegee said:

i usually used them to carve out a base for a duplicant to land into and live inside, now that they can build manual airlocks it's a lot easier to do this while keeping the oxygen bubbles inside the asteroid, and build basic life support systems with the rovers.

That is kind of the issue though. Rovers building life support systems makes colonization trivial. Dupes land and they have oxygen production, manual generators, comfortable beddings in place, etc. and all that at no risk for any duplicant along the way. Doors were never a problem, more an inconvenience. A "tile" can block the way and seal the rover in with the gases. Duplicants could just build a door when they arrived. I never felt like that hindered colonization in any way.

In addition, CO2 can now become cheap labor in your colony by launching CO2 rockets just to spam rovers, they don't require O2 or food.

Edited by NeoDeusMachina
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, Squeegee said:

i usually used them to carve out a base for a duplicant to land into and live inside, now that they can build manual airlocks it's a lot easier to do this while keeping the oxygen bubbles inside the asteroid, and build basic life support systems with the rovers.

It's definitely good to be able to make actual doors. The issue is asteroid crusts, as later asteroids, and in the new cluster type, even early asteroids, have crusts the rover can't dig, meaning you need to get lucky with a chance break to be able to get the rover in.

2 minutes ago, Simonova said:

Hmm, this means that the rover can build a mini-pod; can the rover activate the mini-pod? Might not even need to build a rocket platform...

You need a dupe to activate it.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Nebbie said:

It's definitely good to be able to make actual doors. The issue is asteroid crusts, as later asteroids, and in the new cluster type, even early asteroids, have crusts the rover can't dig, meaning you need to get lucky with a chance break to be able to get the rover in.

I hope they do a worldgen pass on moonlet crusts before release to make ease-of-colonization more consistent, even if the more advanced worlds still "lock out" rovers, or keep them limited to top-layer biomes.

Right now, the best strategy seems to be to build a steam/rad rocket with two trailblazer modules of the same type, so you can build a rocket platform out of the materials and immediately leave (to come back later with an apartment rocket and get real work done); that seems too cheesy to be "the best".

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Simonova said:

I hope they do a worldgen pass on moonlet crusts before release to make ease-of-colonization more consistent, even if the more advanced worlds still "lock out" rovers, or keep them limited to top-layer biomes.

Right now, the best strategy seems to be to build a steam/rad rocket with two trailblazer modules of the same type, so you can build a rocket platform out of the materials and immediately leave (to come back later with an apartment rocket and get real work done); that seems too cheesy to be "the best".

Playing on frankly depressing/dranocian stress/morale and all you need is carpet tiles(15%), buddy bud(5%), preserved grubfruit, outhouse, hand sanitizer, 1-3 suitdock, and a 3600kg oxygen gastank to colonize all including the most hostile asteroids(niobium one). No beds or dining room is necessary. Even my lastest colonizing rocket has a space research in it just so they can train science while in route between asteroids, so there is plenty of room.

I never encounter the need to make multiple trips to asteroids, always do it in one take with 3 colonizers which will be each be maxed on athletics, neural vaccialtor buffs, and half way to max in digging & construction. 

Once the trailblazers are recycled to a rocket platform I build a battery module & solar panels which will take care of suit repair and avoid battery overheating problems, while reaching the destination I use a smart battery and manual power generator inside the housing rocket. 

I do not see the point of rovers or multiple trips.

Edited by Protoz2001

22 hours ago, JarrettM said:

The anti-entombment code is much less aggressive

Does "entombed" notification count for dupes though? Buildings seem to have more notifications for entombment than dupes currently have.

How "entombed inside" looked like before:

How it looks now:

• Like 1
  • Sanity 1

22 hours ago, EricKlei said:

It's possible that the collision bug fix also fixed the floating duplicants bug. Since we don't have a reliable way to reproduce the floating duplicant bug please let me know if you encounter it on the testing branch.

Sorry to tell you, but i had it twice this day. And no i cant provide a reproducable issue either.

• Sad Dupe 1

11 hours ago, Protoz2001 said:

Playing on frankly depressing/dranocian stress/morale and all you need is carpet tiles(15%), buddy bud(5%), preserved grubfruit, outhouse, hand sanitizer, 1-3 suitdock, and a 3600kg oxygen gastank to colonize all including the most hostile asteroids(niobium one). No beds or dining room is necessary. Even my lastest colonizing rocket has a space research in it just so they can train science while in route between asteroids, so there is plenty of room.

I never encounter the need to make multiple trips to asteroids, always do it in one take with 3 colonizers which will be each be maxed on athletics, neural vaccialtor buffs, and half way to max in digging & construction. 

Once the trailblazers are recycled to a rocket platform I build a battery module & solar panels which will take care of suit repair and avoid battery overheating problems, while reaching the destination I use a smart battery and manual power generator inside the housing rocket. 

But I do. The game invites players to use and try different approaches. If someone likes to "pre build" a base just let them with the rovers. Before this update it was kinda difficult but now you have plenty of options to install and maintain some life-saving systems.

Just because you found a solutions that works for you, it doesn't mean that everyone should come up with this. It's the games's DNA to experiment and to always have different options for certain topics.

6 hours ago, EricKlei said:

@sakura_sk The entombment bug will be fixed in the release tomorrow, but that's a helpful video as it gave me some ideas to think about.

Can you verify that transporting payloads has still be done by dupes or is it just a bug on my end? Sweepers don't seem to work :(

2 hours ago, fleksy said:

Can you verify that transporting payloads has still be done by dupes or is it just a bug on my end? Sweepers don't seem to work :(

The patch note says:

"Payload Opener no longer requires dupe operation but it does require power."

I read it as dupes dont need to go to the building and spend time there operating it to open payloads that have already been delivered, the machine does it on its own. It doesn't say anything about payload delivery to the payload opener, so I am guessing those still need to be delivered manually as before. Could they previously be delivered by auto-sweepers?

Edited by NeoDeusMachina

19 hours ago, Protoz2001 said:

That is very, very far from how I play. It does nicely demonstrate that there are completely different approaches to ONI that all work. And that is the real thing that makes Oni great: You can play the way you want. You will face challenges, but you can solve them according to your own preferences. 

Incidentally, the "point" of rovers and multiple trips is for others to use them. You are in no way required to do so.

• Like 4