New virtual planetarium thoughts?

Does anyone else find the fact that you now need to go to space to use the orbital data collection lab to make data banks so that you now have to use them in the virtual planetarium to conduct the data analysis research. Seems like an unneeded extra step that's just so tedious. I liked it better when you could just do the research in space. The higher tiers of research have always been one of my least favorite things to do in the game. It's not the worst thing but I still don't like it. :roll:

Actually, in some ways this is better.  Now you don't need to coordinate research with other stations on the ground.  You can just send a dupe to space and let them generate 1500 data disks and then process it all when they're back on the ground.  Otherwise, I tended to get a dupe stuck in space waiting for the material research to get finished back on the ground.  Once you have adequate oxylite, berry sludge, and plastic, just send up a good researcher and do something else for 30 cycles.

It's much better with data banks.

I can accumulate data banks if my other researches are lagging behind and I don't need to rush selecting next research to make sure my orbital research has things to do (ex: rocket was exploring and researching when telescope had nothing to do): I can finish whatever I'm doing and think selection over later.

Plus there are new sources of databanks now.

Restoring planetarium is a good move from Klei:

1. You are not forced to go to space, that is crucial on huge maps whithout early space access
2. It is more efficient now
3. People love planetarium animation and asked A LOT to restore it

Also, I believe that the DLC should be game expansion, not a different game at all. It means it should add new stuff without taking away the old things. Therefore, all buildings from vanilla game should be in the DLC as well, and that includes the planetarium.

also keep in mind that the dlc is not finished yet, so they will probably(might) add all the base game features eventually.

and remember too, that adding this has allowed for, yes, a lengthier research process, but also an easier way to research, as you can get 1-4 basic data analysis-required researches before space.

in the end, giving us a way to stack up research points for late game, and get earlier research for early game.

On 10/29/2021 at 8:25 AM, NewWorldDan said:

Actually, in some ways this is better.  Now you don't need to coordinate research with other stations on the ground.  You can just send a dupe to space and let them generate 1500 data disks and then process it all when they're back on the ground...

1500 Floppies? Wait a moment... Are those double sided? We need Xcopy and 4 drives connected in the game and have a big copy party event with lots of dupes. Dupes making dupes! Like in the good old days, swapping data disks at school. 8-)

26 minutes ago, babba said:

1500 Floppies? Wait a moment... Are those double sided? We need Xcopy and 4 drives connected in the game and have a big copy party event with lots of dupes. Dupes making dupes! Like in the good old days, swapping data disks at school. 8-)

well my old pc's what i have, they to still have the floppy disks.

i not used them much tho but i to remember that i used that for bios upgrade. also stored at some off them the nokia 3210 software what allowed todo some tricks, like install the Vibrating alert support  

On 10/31/2021 at 9:46 AM, Brian.oni said:

One extra bonus, if I'm understanding this correctly you should now be able to do unlimited "research" on the orbital lab to train up science skill?   Seems like a decent sink for all that extra plastic you eventually end up with.

Sadly, the orbital lab is a machinery/operator errand now. The planetarium part is still done by a researcher.

Archived