Which character should be Revisited?

Who should receive a revision?   

141 members have voted

1. 1. Who?

• Wurt
    • Walter
    • Woodie
    • Winona

Unlike the other thread i made which was for the characters that have yet to receive their refresh (Being 4, plus Wolfgang who is next), this one is for previous characters that based on both my personal opinion and what ive seen from public opinion, need to be revisited to solve issues they have.

My vote goes to Walter, i feel his design is just ALL over the place, unfocused and overloaded, it goes to the point that he feels like two characters were fit into one. 

If people mention characters not listed, i may add them to the list.

I Main Woodie, he is fine as it is right now.

Now Wurt on the other hand, just look at the amount of bugs and posts in the forums just screaming how Bad is her, and the fact that i was so excited for her when she was released, and the fact that she has one of the Best skins in the Game just saddens me, Because I don't think using her is worth the trouble of only being allowed to eat like the 20% of All food in the game.

4 minutes ago, VirgilEngineer said:

I Main Woodie, he is fine as it is right now.

Now Wurt on the other hand, just look at the amount of bugs and posts in the forums just screaming how Bad is her, and the fact that i was so excited for her when she was released, and the fact that she has one of the Best skins in the Game just saddens me, Because I don't think using her is worth the trouble of only being allowed to eat like the 20% of All food in the game.

I think the issue with Woodie is just that he practically has no downsides for what he can do, his loss of hunger when returning to normal is extremely easy to negate by either bringing food with you or simply transforming when at low hunger. 

Idk thats just me. 

About Wurt i heard that her hunger is not much of an issue since she gains more hunger than other characters to compensate only being able to eat vegetables. 

1 minute ago, Dollmaker said:

I think the issue with Woodie is just that he practically has no downsides for what he can do, his loss of hunger when returning to normal is extremely easy to negate by either bringing food with you or simply transforming when at low hunger. 

is true that human woodie doesnt have an impactful downside but his forms do so taking advantage of his perks might result in tricky situations

Just now, Dollmaker said:

I do think that he needs something more than his transformations, i just use the goose for early maping and lunar island, and Nothing more, treeguards are a blessing so why negate their spawn with the beaver? I don't recall using the moose form ever, but with Even All Of that, i still believe that he isn't a priority

Walter and Woodie at least function properly, poor Wurt has remained in a broken state since she got here. Merm Kings rewards are terrible, her merms constantly get lost, and she still isn't affected by the merm king in the caves. She needs a tune up, and the fact that she's been this way for so long is terrible.

17 minutes ago, VirgilEngineer said:

I do think that he needs something more than his transformations, i just use the goose for early maping and lunar island, and Nothing more, treeguards are a blessing so why negate their spawn with the beaver? I don't recall using the moose form ever, but with Even All Of that, i still believe that he isn't a priority

Oh dont get me wrong, i dont think hes priority at all compared to other characters, but i do feel he could use some tweaks. 

17 minutes ago, Erineyes7 said:

she still isn't affected by the merm king in the caves

I dunno if thats an easy fix im afraid, since the caves are basically a separate server, which im pretty sure is why the Ruins were merged with it, to avoid having to hold 3 servers.

But... there might be a way, instead of having the buff be permanent when the Merm King is alive and disappear instantly when he dies, it could be changed to instead him giving you the buff for X amount of time (which will still persist after his dead) when you give him an offering, this would make the buff tied to the player itself, with MK simply applying it, this is basically the same has WX who gets his buff applied when hit by lightning. 

Only downside to it, is that you have to visit him regularly to reapply the buff, but considering you already have to just to keep him alive, i think its fine. 

10 minutes ago, Dollmaker said:

I dunno if thats an easy fix im afraid, since the caves are basically a separate server, which im pretty sure is why the Ruins were merged with it, to avoid having to hold 3 servers.

Wanda did it with her teleportation, Antlion did it with her cave ins.

It is a very easy fix.

27 minutes ago, VirgilEngineer said:

treeguards are a blessing so why negate their spawn with the beaver?

tell me that when you have a chest full of living logs and you just wanna build roads :_

28 minutes ago, VirgilEngineer said:

I don't recall using the moose form ever

you should try it, very useful cleaning the ruins, despatching hound waves or dealing with hordes of spiderqueens or tree guards

29 minutes ago, VirgilEngineer said:

but with Even All Of that, i still believe that he isn't a priority

that is right, we have winona, wx, wilson and maxwell and, walter and wurt with old/boring/in need of QoL/buffs/fixes 

Wurt hands down.. shes got the most room to improve/the most untapped potential on the list imo. the big pieces are (mostly) already there (i still want her to swim :mrgreen:) they just need to be refined and be expanded upon. 

Woodie after his refresh seems like a really interesting and unique character even though ive never really played him (not enough time between wormwood wurt and wicker to squeeze in other chars lol). from what ive heard from woodie mains he seems fine? aside from not being able to participate in moonstorm events... which should be adressed probably..

At this point i think Walter is just walter, many ppl who play him have pointed out how his perks arent really all over the place etc. hes just a low key character with modest perks. I do have to wonder why klei was sooo uber conservative and concerned with balance when tuning the slingshot but then turned around and gave wanda the alarming clock lmao... :roll:

no comment on nona cuz ive never really thought about her 

----

Wigfrid should get a replacement for fireproof falsetto and startling soliloquy and rude interlude should have their durations increased to be more practical in use. 

Willow:

Spoiler

bernie should follow her through shards and wormholes (iirc he doesnt, been a while).

mobs that die on fire should not drop ashes, instead they should drop their loot on fire so it can be saved still if ur prepared.

mobs lit on fire by willow should also perhaps take more damage, or willow attacking lit mobs should extend the duration of the fire or something. 

edit: cant believe i forgot about the most important character of the entire cast: Wormwood :mrgreen:

• please for the love of god make bramble husk better. let it periodically shoot out its aoe while near dangerous mobs without needing to get hit at the cost of a bit of durability. boost protection and durability -_-
  • let bramble traps auto reset and add like 2-5 more uses to it. come on. i know you want to 
  • if ur feeling generous add something new to his tab too :mrgreen: my crazy idea: bramble saddle

1 hour ago, Dollmaker said:

On paper yeah, but if you've played woodie at least a little I would say that he's balanced by the sanity drain and the fact that you have practically no way to restore health while in forms.

For newer players, which is when I started playing him, he has a lot to manage, and messing up can have some pretty bad consequences.

For older players yeah it's not too difficult to manage, but neither is wanda's old age, wortox's sanity, wormwood's health, warly's hunger, willow's temperature, or just about every other part of the game. 

3 minutes ago, Mysterious box said:

when was the last time anyone has ever used a clever disguise...

Few days ago on public server when i was Webber and teamed up with a Wurt player. Since my base was not far from her swamp base.

She gave me a clever disguise to not get mauled by her army of merms whenever i want to gather some reeds.

Hey you asked :P

16 minutes ago, Mysterious box said:

I mean the beat example of how bad of a state wurt is would be the fact most Wurts opt to ignore the merm king entirely and when was the last time anyone has ever used a clever disguise...

If I build an entire biome of what Aquaman Atlantans and Wonder Woman’s Amazonian combined would pale in comparison to- Your going to want that Clever Disguise.

People say Wurt is a bad character but let me remind you that she can hire an entire Army of Merms with as little as random seeds dropped by birds.

in Addition to that: You can give a Merm a pet fish (dropped from any dead Merm) so they literally Renew themselves..

Most importantly of ALL a single pre-built into the World Merm Shack (not the ones Wurt can build) can house 6 or more Merms from a single Shack..

(it’s best if we don’t ask how..)

Let anything so much as step foot in my Swampy Kingdom and it’ll be dead within a few seconds.

The ONLY problem I have with Wurt is her Merms getting hung up on terrain and not returning home.. and the boring entirely useless Merm King.

I really feel like Merm King was a missed opportunity to make certain Non-Renewable resources renewable by forcing Wurt to give him rare fish pets.. Hell Klei could’ve gave him “slots” to place Fish scaleomatics in with different fish- the more fish types he has in his “Pets Collection” the more valuable the rewards Wurt can get from him when feeding/caring for him.

Wurt feels like a rushed job, but she has a good foundation to work of. Personally, I think Wurt deserves a refresh that allows her to personalize her merms and that would be unlike any other follower.

Spoiler

She could continuously give them a fish of a kind to permanently change their stats/profession. 

Bloom tuna could give them a plant on their head that acts as a lure and allow them to fish.

Sunfish could give them protection in winter.

Sweatfish could boost their attack but lower their health or increase their resource gathering proficiency. 

Given that they don't eat fish I'm not sure how the transformation would take place. Perhaps a single fish could be given to them and they use it as a tool? That may have too much micromanaging so I'd prefer a more permanent change, even if it just visually minor (just change color of merm). Although the fish given to them could just never spoil.

The structures themselves could maybe be given the fish? The reason I suggest a more direct change to the already present homes/merms rather than add more structures is because I feel this would cut down on the work klei has to do and also not add a dozen homes to the tab.

Woodie is entirely functional, and a great character overall (IMO much more versatile that Walter). Could he use some boosts? yeah maybe, his late game is kinda weak, and moonstorms are a perma-nightmare for him. But I'd give him the lowest priority.

Walter's functional,  just his slingshot sucks and could use some rebalance. No need for a complete overhaul though, low priority too.

Wurt: Even though Wurt's design is good, she suffers from horrible glitches and things that don't work right, I think at very least she needs heavy bugfixing attention. QOL improvements would do wonders too. High priority.

Winona: Now Winona is in need of some major changes, she was the first reworked character and even though she's much better than what she was, she's by no means at the same level of any of the other characters in terms of versatility.
I'd put her a very high prority level, not for bugfixing, but for a main design perspective.

I just remember a screenshot that an user i forgot posted back when eye of the storm was release that show a comment of JoeW saying something like "now that wagstaff is here winona might get some attention" so is kinda confirmed that they might be mindstoming ideas to make her more interesting

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

I really feel like Merm King was a missed opportunity to make certain Non-Renewable resources renewable by forcing Wurt to give him rare fish pets

This is actually a very good idea. Like giving him rare heavy fish gives you a new unique type of seeds, exclusive to the merm king, that lets you plant reeds, cactii, or lichen.

2 hours ago, Ohan said:

Edit: cant believe i forgot about the most important character of the entire cast: Wormwood :mrgreen:

• please for the love of god make bramble husk better. let it periodically shoot out its aoe while near dangerous mobs without needing to get hit at the cost of a bit of durability. boost protection and durability -_-
  • let bramble traps auto reset and add like 2-5 more uses to it. come on. i know you want to 
  • if ur feeling generous add something new to his tab too :mrgreen: my crazy idea: bramble saddle

Careful with that one brother, people will tie us to a post and burn us alive for speaking that "heresy". 

Even if its the truth.

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

If I build an entire biome of what Aquaman Atlantans and Wonder Woman’s Amazonian combined would pale in comparison to- Your going to want that Clever Disguise.

People say Wurt is a bad character but let me remind you that she can hire an entire Army of Merms with as little as random seeds dropped by birds.

in Addition to that: You can give a Merm a pet fish (dropped from any dead Merm) so they literally Renew themselves..

Most importantly of ALL a single pre-built into the World Merm Shack (not the ones Wurt can build) can house 6 or more Merms from a single Shack..

(it’s best if we don’t ask how..)

Let anything so much as step foot in my Swampy Kingdom and it’ll be dead within a few seconds.

The ONLY problem I have with Wurt is her Merms getting hung up on terrain and not returning home.. and the boring entirely useless Merm King.

I really feel like Merm King was a missed opportunity to make certain Non-Renewable resources renewable by forcing Wurt to give him rare fish pets.. Hell Klei could’ve gave him “slots” to place Fish scaleomatics in with different fish- the more fish types he has in his “Pets Collection” the more valuable the rewards Wurt can get from him when feeding/caring for him.

I'm not trying to say she's a bad character but the biggest upside to her follower system being long term followers was hugely outclassed by webber and as far as the seed debate meat is a much faster resource to stockpile and more filling and readily available. The fact Merms don't have names or give signs of hunger means managing a group long term is often taxing and not rewarding despite being the focus of her character even ignoring bugs but even ignoring these issues my biggest gripe is other characters do what should have been roles she excelled at not only better in most cases but in less taxing ways as well often with much less restrictions or more to bring to the table.

Archived