Which character should be Revisited?

Who should receive a revision?   

141 members have voted

1. 1. Who?

• Wurt
    • Walter
    • Woodie
    • Winona

Um... Winona? I don't fully understand why anyone here thinks it's anyone but Winona? 

Like, I get it, Wurt and Walter have a lot of untapped potential, but both of them already have a wide suite of perks and unique downsides themed around swamp-dwelling and boy-scouting respectively. They're not exactly chafing for unique gameplay.

Winona, meanwhile, can build a cheaper version of sewing kits, boat patches, and houndius shootius. That's it. I mean, look at this special powers list: https://dontstarve.fandom.com/wiki/Winona#Special_Powers Her perk list is so barren they're counting "identifies tools during the moonstorm event" as a perk and double-counting her crafting mechanics as a downside.

I know she's been already reworked once, but for the love of Charlie, give her something outside of end-game mob farms.

Wurt only need to fix merms AI. Even without merms she has interesting perks and more unique gameplay than most characters.

Winona on other hand at least could stop commenting her hunger by almost every crafted item. Also slowdown during crafting when hungry is quite annoying - Like at least three characters are fast with cooking and they don't slow down when fire is small. She could have some more fancy perks...

1 hour ago, QuQuasar said:

Like, I get it, Wurt and Walter have a lot of untapped potential, but both of them already have a wide suite of perks and unique downsides themed around swamp-dwelling and boy-scouting respectively. They're not exactly chafing for unique gameplay.

Wurt has a lot of bugs though, and could use some tweaks as well.

Walter on the other hand its more that his design is heavily unfocused and overloaded. 

So, for Walter I'd really like to see some QoL changes, I'd be interested in some more scout crafts but I think that's unlikely to happen, I think he's a pretty good and fun character. I always found the "his design is all over the place" complaints really weird, he has a ranged weapon for a mount that can't attack itself, a portable tent for restoring sanity and health when he's a character that loses both stats upon being hit, and some other sanity restoration methods. The only thing about him that I think is out of place is the bee allergy downside, all this downside does is make BQ even more of a pain than she usually is.

As for QoL, i'd be really interested in seeing Slowdown rounds slow more than just moving speed, but also attack speeds! Would make for a really interesting and dynamic ammo in my opinion and make him a more valuable character in teams. I'd also like to see poop pellets not trigger other mobs to aggro onto walter when he attacks one of their kind with a poop pellet. I sometimes try to use the poop pellets to deaggro a mob, but it just ends up triggering more mobs towards me and that kinda destroys the whole purpose of the ammo lol.

2 minutes ago, Hornete said:

So, for Walter I'd really like to see some QoL changes, I'd be interested in some more scout crafts but I think that's unlikely to happen, I think he's a pretty good and fun character. I always found the "his design is all over the place" complaints really weird, he has a ranged weapon for a mount that can't attack itself, a portable tent for restoring sanity and health when he's a character that loses both stats upon being hit, and some other sanity restoration methods. The only thing about him that I think is out of place is the bee allergy downside, all this downside does is make BQ even more of a pain than she usually is.

As for QoL, i'd be really interested in seeing Slowdown rounds slow more than just moving speed, but also attack speeds! Would make for a really interesting and dynamic ammo in my opinion and make him a more valuable character in teams. I'd also like to see poop pellets not trigger other mobs to aggro onto walter when he attacks one of their kind with a poop pellet. I sometimes try to use the poop pellets to deaggro a mob, but it just ends up triggering more mobs towards me and that kinda destroys the whole purpose of the ammo lol.

I guess its because they didnt went all out on the ranged playstyle, i mean Walter is arguably more effective at close range like all other characters, if anything i think he should be like Wendy and do less Melee dmg while making his Slingshot better. 

Theres also that completely random thing about him gaining sanity when near trees... like what? like how many people even know about this? 

Could also point out that Woby being both a mount and 9 slot chest is a bit much, maybe if it was reduced to 6 slots.

Then he also has a portable tent.

Basically he has too much stuff going on. 

1 minute ago, Dollmaker said:

Theres also that completely random thing about him gaining sanity when near trees... like what? like how many people even know about this? 

There's also the 10% sanity aura multiplier Willow has and -10% sanity aura multiplier Walani has. The longer follower time perk and increased drowning penalties Woodie has.

Characters having random-ish perks isn't really anything new. And like, even if I disliked it, it's so small that I can't care about it, lol? 

15 minutes ago, Dollmaker said:

Then he also has a portable tent.

Yeah, that's, kinda a staple of Boy Scouts....

37 minutes ago, Hornete said:

I always found the "his design is all over the place" complaints really weird, he has a ranged weapon for a mount that can't attack itself, a portable tent for restoring sanity and health when he's a character that loses both stats upon being hit, and some other sanity restoration methods. The only thing about him that I think is out of place is the bee allergy downside, all this downside does is make BQ even more of a pain than she usually is.

Same. Literally all of his perks are thematically related to him being a boy scout: he's a boy (think's he's invincible till he gets hurt, doesn't care about fashion, has a dog), he's a scout (high mobility, ranged weapon), he's a boy scout (likes camping and the woods). On top of that, they're all related in some way to his health/sanity mechanic, either by accentuating it or by helping him compensate by restoring sanity or avoiding damage in the first place.

I think the bee allergy is purely for flavor.

13 minutes ago, Hornete said:

There's also the 10% sanity aura multiplier Willow has and -10% sanity aura multiplier Walani has. The longer follower time perk and increased drowning penalties Woodie has.

Yeah, but those not only make more sense, but are also not too much.

Walter already has like 3 different flavor perks, the trees one is just unnecessary 

14 minutes ago, Hornete said:

Yeah, that's, kinda a staple of Boy Scouts....

Yeah i know, but again, too much stuff.

I care so little for Walter that he could be deleted from the roster and I wouldn't notice.

Also, Woby is butt ugly now that I have seen their animated form. All I see now is a hairy potato. I said what I said. 

If there is one thing I regret is this possibly hurting Pine G's feelings. If you're reading this, I'm sorry.

21 minutes ago, HowlVoid said:

I care so little for Walter that he could be deleted from the roster and I wouldn't notice.

Also, Woby is butt ugly now that I have seen their animated form. All I see now is a hary potato. I said what I said. 

If there is one thing I regret is this possibly hurting Pine G's feelings. If you're reading this, I'm sorry.

I despise you as of now 

I seriously want to change my vote to Winona.. I voted for Walter before Winona was even added as a poll choice, this poll is rigged!

Also- I didn’t vote for Wurt because I have a feeling if Klei completely overhauled Farming and Fishing to be more in-depth and complex: That Combat & AI Behavior isn’t off that list..

ALL of Wurts problems are tied to AI & Combat (well except that terrible Merm King but that’s another subject altogether..)

Come to think of it.. the reason WHY Wigfrids rework felt like the worst of them all (including Winona’s in my eyes..) maybe it’s because any fun “Combat” related changes they have planned for her won’t come until they overhaul combat to be just as complex and in depth as fishing and farming now are.

Im thinking 4 or 5 steps ahead.. but yeah you kinda have to otherwise you sit here screaming:

KLEI WHY YOU NO FIX THIS YET?!

I like most of what Winona does.  I just think for how much rock she needs to get to build her structures, it would be fitting if she could craft something to crack boulders quicker.  And the spotlights need better ai

Also I think her hunger penalty for crafting is too much early game.  imo this is the real reason many people don't play Winona - its not because her crafts are such easy pick & switches but that just playing her gets tedious.  You'll often need to craft a thing here or there during the game, and you'll rarely be gorging yourself on food like Wolfgang, which means the massive penalty to crafting times when her hunger is low becomes a major obstacle to deal with.  The number of times I'm scrambling to put down a fire pit or craft a torch and get frustrated by the SUPER LONG crafting time is uncountable.  Especially with the sporadic crafting you do early game, you get taxed too much in hunger when you're full, and hit with too hard a penalty when you're not.

imo the penalty should just be axed all together.  Give her the crafting bonus if her hunger is high (or take it away, its not that big a deal) and come up with a better down side.

10 minutes ago, Dollmaker said:

I mean she is still kinda new and is a hard character 

I’ve actually stopped playing Wanda altogether (yes lag even on the Xbox Series consoles is that bad..) A Character who can nearly Die to a single lagging Beefalo isn’t my idea of fun.

and you can absolutely FORGET about running around at older age for better damage your gonna want to keep her at 20 or Die a miserable & unfair death.

she’s not even a “Hard” character to play- but LAG makes her “Impossible”

29 minutes ago, Dollmaker said:

I mean she is still kinda new and is a hard character 

That was a typo - I mean this is why I think people don't play Winona often.  Its too tedious a play style early game for a solely late game pay off.  If they made her early game less tedious, and she came with a way to farm rocks a bit better, it would smooth out her curve so you aren't just hurting yourself to pick her early.

I mean people play Wilson - so you don't need anything positive about a character to play them - so a character like Winona suffers not because her good stuff is late game, but because her bad gets in the way too much without any justification.

(wanda got no problems, her design and execution are great)

8 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

I’ve actually stopped playing Wanda altogether (yes lag even on the Xbox Series consoles is that bad..) A Character who can nearly Die to a single lagging Beefalo isn’t my idea of fun.

and you can absolutely FORGET about running around at older age for better damage your gonna want to keep her at 20 or Die a miserable & unfair death.

she’s not even a “Hard” character to play- but LAG makes her “Impossible”

Well she is a hard character if you wanna get the most value out of her, since you have to keep your "HP" low to do the most dmg, making her a high risk - high reward character. 

Winona is just sad. Mainly because she is super easy to pick and swap with no major perks that cant be thrown over to other characters. She has like 2 exclusive perks only she can use. Being a free hit from charle and the moonstorm dectecting item thing. Both super minor and inconsequential to overall gameplay.

Only a few other characters have this pick and swap problem and it isnt even that bad. Mainly because they have other main perks other players cant take. Like let's say wormwood where he has a few things everyone can use but has more versatility and options with more than 1 main perk that only he can use. That's why you still see people playing wormwood. Because they have something to work with that everyone else cant just take. So as a rating for who should get a fix first

Woodie - 3/10 (I'll live with him)

Walter - 4.5/10 (maybe a fix or 2 please)

Wurt - 7/10 (just more depth to the perks than anything really)

Winona - 10/10 (please give winona food it's been 18 days)

7 hours ago, Dollmaker said:

Walter already has like 3 different flavor perks, the trees one is just unnecessary 

He likes nature he feels happy, is that so weird? I feel very happy when i got to nature place so i could imagine that a boy scout would like being in the middle of the nature

Also is a sanity related perk so i dont know why is unnecessary 

Are we complaining for the sake of complaining? Because with walter and wurt i always end reading a lot of biased comments for some reason

13 hours ago, Notecja said:

Wurt only need to fix merms AI. Even without merms she has interesting perks and more unique gameplay than most characters.

Winona on other hand at least could stop commenting her hunger by almost every crafted item. Also slowdown during crafting when hungry is quite annoying - Like at least three characters are fast with cooking and they don't slow down when fire is small. She could have some more fancy perks...

This is not true Merms have multiple bugs, Wurt herself also has visual bugs all of which have lasted for 2 years when you get down to it there's no real reason to play Wurt because the follower mechanic is already much less stressful if you use ANY other follower than merms at the bare minimum Winona is completely fuctional between her machines and tape. Also i pray Kiel doesn't just start working on new perks for Wurt rather than making her mechanic a smooth experience to engage with rather than just using it as a bee queen rush.

Archived