Another ask for Día de los Muertos Halloween Event

Día de los Muertos or Day of the Dead!!

I mean we all have seen the movie Coco from Disney and would be so damn amazing with all the colors and folklore to be part of DST
media.media.881dfac3-6dd0-4d0d-a62d-77315bdcb00caf7c9.image.jpg?resize=500,727

Besides it's festive and spooky at the same time!! And it has skeletons!!

c34e90902c34e8d524ba33077ddba89a478b02bb

As for the elephant in the room, just have a couple of people from Mexico to give some input for the cultural aspects of it!
This would be the most amazing and fitting event for DST!!

27 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Day of the Dead, Cinco De Mayo I think the reason such an event does NOT exist is because Hallowed Nights is meant to cover both Halloween and Day of the Dead.

Just like how in December Wintersfeast Covers Christmas, Hanukkah, Yule, Etc..

duuuude... no shade but you always have the weirdest comments

Día de los Muertos it's literally the homologue of Halloween in Mexico. It starts October 31 and extends further in November

regardless fits thematically.... sooo.... moving on

17 minutes ago, FreyaMaluk said:

duuuude... no shade but you always have the weirdest comments

Día de los Muertos it's literally the homologue of Halloween in Mexico. It starts October 31 and extends further in November

regardless fits thematically.... sooo.... moving on

It’s literally the same thing your asking for..

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Day_of_the_Dead

and if I remember right: Even in the movie Coco it was referred to as Day of the Dead.

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

It’s literally the same thing your asking for..

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Day_of_the_Dead

and if I remember right: Even in the movie Coco it was referred to as Day of the Dead.

OMG... duuuude
Día de los Muertos translated IS literally the Day of the Dead....

please refrain from commenting further ... you just want to derail the convo to unrelated BS
if you don't have any REAL insight into the topic just move on..

I'm asking the devs to implement el Día de los Muertos with art and assets from the IRL event INTO the game

Now please move on somewhere... ty..

1 minute ago, FreyaMaluk said:

OMG... duuuude
Día de los Muertos translated IS literally the Day of the Dead....

please refrain from commenting further ... you just want to derail the convo to unrelated BS
if you don't have any REAL insight into the topic just move on..

I'm asking the devs to implement el Día de los Muertos with art and assets from the IRL event INTO the game

Now please move to bother somewhere else... ty..

So what your basically saying is you want them to add some Day of the dead masks, skins and ornament decorations to the Hallowed Nights event right?

Hallowed Nights is definitely more based on Halloween, but called 'Hallowed Nights' to distance itself a bit, and make it fantastical.

As for adding Día de los Muertos, as much as I'd love that. It wouldn't surprise me for a vocal set of people to call out cultural appropriation.

Just to clarify: I never said I was against this.. in fact I grew up celebrating day of the dead with friends and relatives- BUT… your asking for Klei to add a NEW Event to the game which would require an Additional thing they would need to maintain each year to their holiday event updates when in all honesty-

They can probably just give every character a Day of the Dead skin collection & Day of the Dead themed Belongings with increased odds of unlocking those during Hallowed Nights, and to add several of the little decorative skulls as trinkets you can decorate the trees with/ leave laying around on the ground like Beefalo dolls.

Unless I’m missing something vitally important about this holiday- I see no logical reasoning behind why they can’t just be skins you can get during October (Just like Bangalore’s Cinco De Mayo outfit from last years Halloween skin set in Apex Legends)

I think celebrating holidays of all sorts of different countries would be very cool. Thanksgiving (canadian or american doesn't matter to me, but canadian might fit better because of Woodie), Krampusnacht, and Dia de los Muertos, etc would be awesome additions. We already have "Year of the-" events, so why not.

On 9/12/2021 at 8:16 PM, BezKa said:

Some items and skins might be a nice addition. Maybe a universal face paint skin?

yes... that's be sooo coool!!

On 9/12/2021 at 8:17 PM, HowlVoid said:

Alright, than as natural born Mexican I give Klei permission. Any one who claims cultural appropriation can fight me, 1v1 final destination no items. 

I would love this, especially if we can craft giant candy skulls and paint them. 

It would be such an awesome coop activity... maybe we need to gather some special mats to craft and paint... even bosses for special colors ... etc

omggggg.... my brain is working full time alreadyyyy

On 9/12/2021 at 7:53 PM, Zeklo said:

Hallowed Nights is definitely more based on Halloween, but called 'Hallowed Nights' to distance itself a bit, and make it fantastical.

As for adding Día de los Muertos, as much as I'd love that. It wouldn't surprise me for a vocal set of people to call out cultural appropriation.

I think that as a Latina person, Cultural Appropriation feels like that when there is NO EFFORT / NO RESEARCH into the subject matter!!

I loved Coco and they did and amazing job at representing so many things right!! So it is possible doing a good job taking an aspect of other culture IF it is handled with care and ik Klei can do this with no issue!

Also Klei has ALREADY taken some Chinese celebrations and brought them over and so far the Community has accepted them and I haven't seen a single person claiming "cultural appropriation" in the forums.

IMO, it all about the care and respect people take in representing a culture, not particularly the subject matter.

24 minutes ago, FreyaMaluk said:

IMO, it all about the care and respect people take in representing a culture, not particularly the subject matter.

Oh I agree full heartedly. I'm just worried about the portion of people who don't see it that way.

Seen it one too many times that it's become exhausting. Just hope it won't happen here.

8 minutes ago, Zeklo said:

Oh I agree full heartedly. I'm just worried about the portion of people who don't see it that way.

Seen it one too many times that it's become exhausting. Just hope it won't happen here.

there is always people that will complain about everything and anything.... but that doesn't mean we shouldn't do beautiful things that would make people feel included
So many people in Latin America will def feel seen and will love the game even more

I think you guys may be missing the point: the reason WHY they haven’t been adding new content to Hallowed Nights or WinterFeast for the past year or so is because focusing on those things took development time away from more important things like: back then- Finishing the Return of Them content updates, DLC Characters and still on going- Character Reworks.

This was Klei’s Mindset a year ago.. But THEN they added a new type of seasonal yearly event to the game “Mid-Summers Cawnival” So it’s hard to say WHERE Klei stands on this..

What I can say for certain though is in their Wanda Post they already stated that this is their busiest time of year for updates- So as an American I know better then to ask for Thanksgiving as a Holiday event- Besides WintersFeast pretty much covers Thanksgiving, Christmas (all other variations of Christmas)

It’s why I suggested that they simply add a Day of the Dead skin set, belongings, decorations and ornaments to the already existing Hallowed Nights.

Because: Can you imagine how crazy Klei’s content schedule will get if we had Wanda, Thanksgiving, Hallowed Nights, Day of the Dead, WintersFeast, Wolfgang Rework, Year of the-, Midsummers Cawnival pt 2, all back to back to back like that?

I wouldn’t mind skin sets, decorations belongings etc added to Hallowed Nights, (with increased odds of unlocking those during that time of course) but I wouldn’t dare ask Klei to split everything up into individual cultural events on top of the 5 remaining reworks and whatever else they’ve got in the pipelines already.

I think they could definitely add a sort of 'additional' bit to hallowed nights to include it. I'm not familiar with enough aspects of Día de los Muertos to know which aspects could maybe be added in and where to add them as either little nods to the holiday, but It definitely feels like something you could easily have a few skins themed around, even if it doesn't get full in-game mechanics or anything. 

DST already has Lunar new year events, which are eastern cultural celebrations and theyre very welcomed, so I think adding in any acknowledgement of other cultural holidays would work just fine as long as Klei does the right research for it. I would say the same for adding say, a little bit of Hanukkah  to Winter's Feast even though Winter's feast is clearly modeled on Christmas. I'd be careful about blending holidays, but a little bit of things for other holidays would be nice for those who celebrate.

While I enjoy the idea of a Día de los Muertos event, I'm not sure how it will work when implemented, considering the celebration is very attached to it's roots and traditions while most of the game events are inspired by real celebrations but twisted around fantasy of the game.

Winter Feasts has living Gingerbread Pigs, an evil version of Santa Claus, a Deerclops whose eye glows due to a festive light; Hallowed Nights has trinkets and pumpkins scattered all around the map, Pig Kings gives candy when trading and there are creepy experiments to perform; and the Cawnival is a small fair with a crow as a master of ceremony. The only one that is more grounded to it's roots it's the Lunar Year events.

My point is that Día de los Muertos is a very respected tradition in Mexico, so twisting some of it to adjust the fantasy world of DST may not seem as well to some people.  

I'm also intrigued HOW it could be implemented, since the meaning of Día de los Muertos is to remember our loved ones that are not longer with us but the survivors are able to get resurrected so the death of them don't really count, and is unknown the condition of the people that remain on Earth, like Jack Carter, Warly's mother or even Wickerbottom's cat so they don't count either and Abigail doesn't really count as she is able to be with Wendy. 

3 hours ago, Just-guy said:

While I enjoy the idea of a Día de los Muertos event, I'm not sure how it will work when implemented, considering the celebration is very attached to it's roots and traditions while most of the game events are inspired by real celebrations but twisted around fantasy of the game.

Winter Feasts has living Gingerbread Pigs, an evil version of Santa Claus, a Deerclops whose eye glows due to a festive light; Hallowed Nights has trinkets and pumpkins scattered all around the map, Pig Kings gives candy when trading and there are creepy experiments to perform; and the Cawnival is a small fair with a crow as a master of ceremony. The only one that is more grounded to it's roots it's the Lunar Year events.

My point is that Día de los Muertos is a very respected tradition in Mexico, so twisting some of it to adjust the fantasy world of DST may not seem as well to some people.  

I'm also intrigued HOW it could be implemented, since the meaning of Día de los Muertos is to remember our loved ones that are not longer with us but the survivors are able to get resurrected so the death of them don't really count, and is unknown the condition of the people that remain on Earth, like Jack Carter, Warly's mother or even Wickerbottom's cat so they don't count either and Abigail doesn't really count as she is able to be with Wendy. 

The same way they did the Chinese holidays. I think they actually did a great job at taking some times from that festivity and making it their own without trashing the culture, which I'm sure they wouldn't do anyways.

I think that as long there is real respect for the culture and the people, only the satisfaction of being seen by your fav game will follow! Even more,  EXPANDING to more people exactly because of it!
As a Latina, I'm telling you. This would def a thing that most people will love!
I even shared this in my own community that is predominantly Latin American and people didn't even say anything about "cultural appropriation" at all and they are actually excited about it!

11 minutes ago, FreyaMaluk said:

I even shared this in my own community that is predominantly Latin American and people didn't even say anything about "cultural appropriation" at all and they are actually excited about it!

My Grandfather/Abuello came from El Salvidor. Might explain my persona. :wilson_ecstatic:

Archived