Why Trail Mix is Good (opinions)

Trail mix.. useless... or no?  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like trail mix as a dish?

I'm doing the opposite this time ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

Trail mix is a really good early game healing dish for doing boss fights early on

It's really cheap, being a roasted birchnut, a berry, another fruit (or another berry), and a filler (excludes meat and mandrakes), this could be twigs

Roasted birchnuts, berries, and twigs are very easy to obtain in the early game, even if it's not as good as pierogi, it's still AMAZING for early-game (how many times am I gonna mention this :lol:?)

Trail mix isn't too hunger efficient though, even as Walter when restoring 27.5 hunger instead of the usual 12.5, so trail mix is best used for healing instead of using it for hunger purposes. Neither is it efficient for sanity, when it only stores a mere 5 points
Trail mix is GREAT for Wurt mains, especially when they can't eat pierogis or other meat-based healers.

Trail mix is certainly not the best healing dish out there, but it's pretty good for healing in the early game.
Blue caps and green caps are also good, but trail mix is pretty great for early ruins rushes and early boss fights

Trail mix, it's pretty good!

Trail_Mix.png.975a201627d3034a7db54b21fa312089.png
Here, thanks for reading this, here's your reward

Want more info on trail mix? Well then, click here!

I don't think there'll ever be a time where I eat a Trail Mix honestly.

To be fair the only healing food I do eat is Jellybeans and sometimes Honey Ham as a delicacy because I get some meat during Spring.

Also for the love of god don't go on to make a bunch of "Why [Food item] is Bad/Good" threads again, one is enough.

2 minutes ago, SomebodyRandom said:

I don't think there'll ever be a time where I eat a Trail Mix honestly.

To be fair the only healing food I do eat is Jellybeans and sometimes Honey Ham as a delicacy because I get some meat during Spring.

Ah, good point, but me, personally only use trail mix in the early game, late game trail mix isn't really loved by me then

If I were in late-game, then it would be useless, but early-game it's really not all that bad, it's a pretty darn good healing dish, and it's pretty cheap too!

As a Woodie main I like Trail Mix in the early game, because I can get many birchnuts fast as Werebeaver (without triggering Poison Birchnut Trees) and it's a very easy and fast to make health food, that I use for exploring as Weregoose (to compensate health loss from all the transformings).

I think the main part that detracts me from eating it is the fact you have to cook the birchnuts. It may be small, but to go out of the way to cook them in order to make them just seems really unappealing to me, especially since by the time I'm making the crockpots, it's near or in winter when they don't drop.

i always forget it exist like its kinda boring and you have to chop birch trees that may spawn the most anoying of treeguards there are? if i want wood i chop down the normal trees those birch trees just dont exist for me if there full grow because only full grow birch spwans the annoying things but alsol the nuts wich means i only chop the medium birches and if i somehow have a birchnut i just goin to eat it alredy there alsol other healing food that can be made early on and some of them can be made whit 2 sticks so nah i dont eat it even as walter

3 hours ago, Maxil20 said:

I always like trail mix. It’s quick to eat, simple to cook, fulfills it’s purpose (cheap healing dish that sacrifices hunger for much more healing), and lasts a good while (15 days). What’s not to like?

Exactly, there's nothing to dislike about trail mix, a really good, cheap healing food if you ever happen to run out of meat or veggies for pierogi

1 hour ago, Queron81 said:

As a Woodie main I like Trail Mix in the early game, because I can get many birchnuts fast as Werebeaver (without triggering Poison Birchnut Trees) and it's a very easy and fast to make health food, that I use for exploring as Weregoose (to compensate health loss from all the transformings).

Especially as Maxwell, who can gather hundreds of birchnut seeds in minutes if you have a lot of fully grown ones

And berries are the same way, easy to gather for some easy heals

Of course, eating all ingredients combined (if using 1 cooked birchnut and 2 berries), results in gaining 28.125 hunger, but that hunger goes towards your health

45 minutes ago, Frashaw27 said:

I think the main part that detracts me from eating it is the fact you have to cook the birchnuts. It may be small, but to go out of the way to cook them in order to make them just seems really unappealing to me, especially since by the time I'm making the crockpots, it's near or in winter when they don't drop.

Use this mod to help with your spamming problems!

40 minutes ago, Dr.Medic said:

i always forget it exist like its kinda boring and you have to chop birch trees that may spawn the most anoying of treeguards there are? if i want wood i chop down the normal trees those birch trees just dont exist for me if there full grow because only full grow birch spwans the annoying things but alsol the nuts wich means i only chop the medium birches and if i somehow have a birchnut i just goin to eat it alredy there alsol other healing food that can be made early on and some of them can be made whit 2 sticks so nah i dont eat it even as walter

Chopping trees isn't hard, just hire some slaves to do all the dirty work, they can even chop the Poison Birchnut trees for you, so there's nothing you really have to do when chopping trees.

"But what if I'm playing a different species other than Wurt?"
Then don't use trail mix

Wortox: Souls

Webber: use the OP nurse spiders which are an amazing godsend

Also, can you learn how to spell (this is a joke Klei please don't warn me again because last time it was a gosh dang joke), yeah, it kinda bugs me

I barely use it if ever, and I'm speaking as a wurt main. Butter muffins are easier to amass and unlike trail mix they have good value for their cost, as well as good hunger and small sanity restoration. The main thing that turns me off em is the fact that you need to chop a tree for every 2 trail mixes, and then also invest a berry whilst ALSO not being able to actually collect tree seeds due to the fact that you're cooking em. I'd rather chop pine trees and be able to plant pinecones where I'm gonna be basing than spend time chopping a tree I can't replant. 

Granted, some of this is due to the fact that I enjoy rushing beefalo, so butterfly wings and mushrooms are easily accessible whilst birchnuts require dismounting.

7 minutes ago, Masked Koopa said:

I barely use it if ever, and I'm speaking as a wurt main. Butter muffins are easier to amass and unlike trail mix they have good value for their cost, as well as good hunger and small sanity restoration. The main thing that turns me off em is the fact that you need to chop a tree for every 2 trail mixes, and then also invest a berry whilst ALSO not being able to actually collect tree seeds due to the fact that you're cooking em. I'd rather chop pine trees and be able to plant pinecones where I'm gonna be basing than spend time chopping a tree I can't replant. 

Granted, some of this is due to the fact that I enjoy rushing beefalo, so butterfly wings and mushrooms are easily accessible whilst birchnuts require dismounting.

Butter muffins are still good but do take longer to cook, trail mix is a really good early healing dish, but we all have our own opinions

6 hours ago, ShadowQueen said:

Of course, eating all ingredients combined (if using 1 cooked birchnut and 2 berries), results in gaining 28.125 hunger, but that hunger goes towards your health

Yeah, and when running around as Goose I don't need hunger (as I'm loosing it anyways while transforming), so it's a very cheap health recipe (plus it's cooking really fast, so I don't need much preperation time for a longer Goose journey).

14 hours ago, Owlrus said:

At some point I don't even bother trying to make it later on because of how annoying it is to fight poison birchnuts without some help (unless you use Bearger, but I always neglect to keep him around).

You can oneshot them with weather pain

8 hours ago, Masked Koopa said:

Takes less time than getting enough butterflies if you are planning to use a lot of healing, also you get wood in the mid time meanwhile waiting for butterflies is wasting time unless you have flowers in strategy spots, like the kitchen, to farm wings meanwhile you do other stuff

Since you get 2 birchnut you can plant 1 and eat the other

As a wurt player i used both before RWYS

Trail mix is, in my opinion, one of the best healing foods, second only to flower salad. 

What's that, you say? I'm completely insane? Well yes, but also I'm not talking about the player - I'm talking about Beefalo!

If your furry friend is also your furry weapon of war, then sometimes your big beefy buddy is gonna get beat up. Really beat up. And whole Dragonpie may heal the most in one feeding, it won't heal the most overall. You risk overfeeding your partner in bludgeoning and if you have an ornery, you have a problem. So in this case, the lower hunger stat is a GOOD thing!

The top two foods with low hunger gain / high healing that a beefalo can eat are Trail Mix and Flower Salad (At least last I checked). While Flower Salad is objectively better with the same hunger but 10 more health, Trail Mix is far easier to obtain and keep on hand via a much longer spoilage time AND not being exclusive to Summer. If you want to keep your Beefalo in tip top shape, keep some trail mix handy for emergencies!

Archived