About Waterlogged

So, yesterday i explored with my friend the new biome in the ocean. I was pretty excited, not full hype as "Forgotten Knowledge", because i knew this was only a decent update for a new biome in the sea but still pretty happy that we have new things for the ocean!..... which confuse me since Return of them is kinda... finished? (I still can't believe it's already finished, i'm like "Whaaa, just like that?" )

In any case we enter the biome, i was full wagstaff emotions because i always played the game blind, testing everything new, like him, and discovering secrets. At the end of the trip i was "Hmn....and now?"

Let me understand: we have only three parts of this new biome scattered randomly in the ocean and they're very very tiny. Inside you can found only a total re-skin of a normal spider, literally the same combat style and attributes, a cool re-take of a lost idea of an animal, grass gator, but became a total re-skin of a beefalo, a fruit which you make a useless dish and another one niche and again re-bloat the over-satured long list of dishes in the game, a fish that drop a large fish meat, a giant tree you can plant near your base defending you against wildfires and heat but the range is really small ( i don't know if it protects you 100% against heat but still endothermic fires, thermal stones, snow chester, caves exist) , i play with wildfires disabled since being bad design and again they seems to have a small range for wildfires, so these big trees serve only for decorations AND we have a main menu music which is... a bit bad since it's repetitive with the same 2 notes but in reality it was a full music being cut for some reasons.

Correct me if i am wrong in some parts or i forgot something, this is all the update right? I know developing a small update like this takes time and effort, but it seems kinda left there and even rushed. I would much prefer more time for the updates so they  I'm more worried since being bought from tenecent, klei must do the boring "every 3 months a new update full of content!", something every major company does and they're already doing. 

I'm interested in what you think about it and see if i started with the wrong foot or i'm not alone with this sentiment for the update.

(P.s if anyone has a link of the full music cut pls give me, i'm curios)

waterlooged.jpg.7664a35b0616bf07c2546377212ea60f.jpg

I think it's fine.

The Waterlogged biome isn't much on it's own, but I mean, so are most other surface or cave biomes? The difference is there are a bunch more biomes in the caves and mainland that interact and work with each other while the ocean only has a few. I think as the ocean gets more and more biomes, the more those biomes will work and fit nicely together.

I also think the ocean has had much more interesting content and effort put in than past updates, It's not everyday you get a biome where you gotta ram into a big tree to get resources! That's much more flipping cool than areas like, the guano biomes in caves which is just bats and rocks.

I think figs are pretty neat, I like figatoni quite a bit, it provides a good amount of hunger and health(56.25 hunger and 30 health, along with 15 sanity) and can be made with a fig and two veggie value, not often you see good healing/hunger veggie foods. They're also pretty good as bait, the best type of consumable bait actually (0.5 charm, just as high as a recently reeled spoon). You could convert two figs into two big fish meat if you use them to catch the sweetener fish and using the monster meat you may have gotten from the spiders, make surf n turf, a 33 sanity and 60 healing food for two fish and two monster meat.

What you've done here, among many others, is built up your expectations too much. This update does have a lot to offer, just not enough for people who expect a revolution with every single update.

The biome is fine- it's small, has it's own little ecosystem consisting of trees dropping seeds, growing figs, spawning fireflies, providing shade and protection from wildfires, heat, rain and lightning, grass gators, source of twigs and grass you cannot find on the ocean as easily, a new kind of spider that is anything but a reskin of a regular one looks wise, as well as movement wise, new type of fish that is easy to find since it's guranteed to spawn there, a source of wood on the ocean without having to go on an island or hammering floating boards.

Outside of the rock stacks (if they can be even called a biome) it is the largest biome on the ocean. It is not a final destination, it's a place you encounter in passing, can reap benefits of, and move on, just like grass biome on land. 

Omitting the entire tuning of boats aspect of the update, we've received a lot. And we keep receiving much, every time we get an update. Listing stuff off like this, in number of items or added mobs, makes it look small- but if you consider anything we already have, you will see that method makes everything look insignificant.

Meteor biome is just a useless bit of land that gets bombarded by rocks. It can be a source of moonrock, and you can find Klaus there sometimes. 

Savanna has a lot of grass, and beefalo spawn there. Several spider nests, too. 

Dragonfly desert has only Dragonfly, hound mounds, cactus and tumbleweeds. 

We can go forever like this. This update, among many others, is a piece of a environment, meant to make it more rich, but not to be a center of it. So yes, this is all we got. And it's a lot, unless you look at it as if you expected a whole new shard.

Well I mean.. there was that “thing” the cute little lotus flower shadow frog thing Klei was planning to add but didn’t because they ran out of time to do it.

My guess is theres a Water-Logged part 2 coming.. After all there’s still one more Content update planned on the roadmap this year.

I also feel like Klei is in no hurry to “rush” starting the next “big thing” such as a new Story arch update chain or a new event mode.

My advice to you is to just be patient and wait..

Wigfrid got a scroll that helps with fire resistance and I’m still wondering WHY if there’s not many things related to fire (currently) in the game?

But Klei has said time and time again- they design these character reworks and these updates and these QoL changes NOT based on how the game plays NOW, but how they see it playing in the LONG-TERM

Which to simply for you: means they’re probably planning things at least 4-5 updates ahead of anything we’ve seen yet.

Water-Logged as a Biome is fine… I just wish they would remove some of the darn sea stacks that feel like filler content, and replace them with more things like the Water logged biomes or something a heck of a lot more interesting then annoying rocks I have to painfully steer my way between on a boat.

28 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

that "little" biome has give me a lot of hours of fun farming nuts  meanwhile i fight spiders to plant them in my base

and the biome was just a 1/3 part of the update. We got 64bit version and way better boats so this is one of my favourite updates of all time

I’m in mild disagreement with the better boats part, having a boat that moves faster isn’t necessarily a good thing, the “boat” itself is a bit annoying in design personally from my experience, what I mean by that is- The Sails on your boat will often get in the way of things that are on your boat and you can’t really see to fight them.. this- is a pain in the backside while fighting off swarms of cookie cutters.

These things really REALLY need to be changed.. they will quickly be the undoing of a lone adventurer, their “temporary stun” as they eat into your boat becomes impossible to deal with if 5 or more of them invade your boat at once.

I hate cookie cutters so much I promise I’ve been through like 100 world rollbacks thanks to Cookie Cutters alone. :wilson_cry:
Then there’s also needing to build MULTIPLE Sails just to get the different upgrades for them.. (why can’t I apply the boat lightning conductor on top of the boat lantern light??!!) instead.. I have to craft two different sails.

Which may not seem like a problem at first.. but factor in that ONE sail on your boat already makes fighting cookie cutters more of a nightmare then it NEEDS to be and you start to see where Klei’s new boating content falls short.

Dont get me wrong- I desperately WANT to like the boats and ocean content.. But- When you equipped an upgrade to a boat in Shipwrecked it actually added a new “thing” to the boat itself, I didn’t for example have to build two different masts that block my field of view just to have one mast that prevents lightning strikes and another mast that can be fueled up for night travels. 

Im starting to feel like I need to build multiple different boats.. each one for a specific purpose because losing a fully decked out boat to Cookie Cutters you stood no chance fighting off isn’t fun, it’s just annoying.. And yeah I get it “Uncompromising” but maybe some certain things (such as being able to make & apply multiple upgrades to the same boat mast in much the same way you upgrade pearls hermit home) could be a little more compromising?

I think people got a little thrown off when they said the next update was going to be "chill". I too thought that it was going to add ice biomes and islands to the oceans, but the content we did get was still nice. I think most people originally thought that this biome was supposed to be its own big thing, but now looking at the release trailer, it seems that this biome's purpose is sorta like an "ocean oasis" of sorts. And an oasis isn't supposed to be that large. And even so, the little amount of content they did add is still nice. The trees look very good next to a sorta dock-looking base, but I will say that the wildfire protection is still a little underwhelming. Water spiders, the new fish, figs, and Grass Gators are also cool, but not as cool as big water trees. As others have said, I think if they add more ocean biomes, (which I certainly hope they do), then it will feel a little less empty. But I mean, we also got the 64-bit versions and boat changes, and a lot of people actually think that as the highlight of this update, so there's that.

If someone's expectations don't really match the actual update, then I think it's natural to feel the update as underwhelming, especially if half of it was changes to already existing mechanics.

I see the start of a trend, actually. And I hope I am right. It looks to me like the plan is to add more and more biomes to the ocean over time, and slowly but surely, the ocean will start to feel as complete as the land. Which to me, seems like a totally reasonable thing to do alongside other updates. If they throw in 10 Ocean biomes at once, the feedback will get all muddled. So instead of doing that, do them one at a time and see what needs a bit of tweak here and there for each one. While putting in effort to other spots as well. Character reworks, backend stuff, etc. 

EDIT: Also figs are a game-changer for me. I don't have to waste my boards for ugly boat patches. I can use this mountain of glommer goop and a renewable resource from an ocean biome itself to patch up a boat all pretty. That is AMAZING to me.

38 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

having a boat that moves faster isn’t necessarily a good thing

isnt just faster, they are to maneuver with sail and with the oars (which have been buffed nicely). Also you dont need anchors anymore so is way less annoying since you dont need to down and up the anchor every 2 minutes, just row

40 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

The Sails on your boat will often get in the way of things that are on your boat and you can’t really see to fight them.. this- is a pain in the backside while fighting off swarms of cookie cutters.

build your sails in a better place,  i have mine in one edge near the steer and i never had that problem

41 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

These things really REALLY need to be changed.. they will quickly be the undoing of a lone adventurer, their “temporary stun” as they eat into your boat becomes impossible to deal with if 5 or more of them invade your boat at once.

you just need more practise agaisnt them, they are easy. Dont get close if they are big groups, just kill few each time. Kite their jump obv and hit them with minimum a tentacle spike, if you use spears you are done

43 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Then there’s also needing to build MULTIPLE Sails just to get the different upgrades for them.. (why can’t I apply the boat lightning conductor on top of the boat lantern light??!!) instead.. I have to craft two different sails.

anyways you want +2 sails so i dont see the problem

Thx everyone! 

It seems afterall i started with the wrong foot. I'll try to visit more the waterlogged biome and give the benift of the doubt. Afterall as @AlternateMewpoints out, klei will put more biomes in the sea as time pass and i like MORE them doing one small biome at time instead of doing all together.

Maybe in the far future the ocean will be so full of content that i'll be bored playing the surface lol. Not to mention, i only criticize for what i believed was wrong but never talked how good-looking and fantasting new sounds effects are there. As always klei doing their best in that camp :wilson_smile:  I just wished that grass-gator wouldn't be a re-skin of a beefalo in animations, pattern and A.i 

About the 64 bits, thx for the reminder. Yes that was pretty big, i forgot it because unfortunately for me, it doesn't change anything. I have a laptop with a 1920 x 1080  resolutions so it's the same and about the new changes for the boat, maybe am i stupid, i didn't notice nothing!? Like it's the same speed, same movements, ecc..... maybe i should travel without an achor? If someone has a nice guide or tips for the new boat pls tell me because i don't get it. 

(pssss if someone has the full music, pls post it! )

15 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

The Sails on your boat will often get in the way of things that are on your boat and you can’t really see to fight them.. this- is a pain in the backside while fighting off swarms of cookie cutters.

I hate cookie cutters so much I promise I’ve been through like 100 world rollbacks thanks to Cookie Cutters alone. :wilson_cry:

Im starting to feel like I need to build multiple different boats.. each one for a specific purpose because losing a fully decked out boat to Cookie Cutters you stood no chance fighting off isn’t fun, it’s just annoying.. And yeah I get it “Uncompromising” but maybe some certain things (such as being able to make & apply multiple upgrades to the same boat mast in much the same way you upgrade pearls hermit home) could be a little more compromising?

No, no, no. Forget the Ham Bat meta at sea. Get a Morning Star and Electric Darts. The latter is relatively (or even surprisingly) easy to amass once you have set up the production. After getting totally (ship)wrecked by Sea Weeds on more than one occasion I started carrying Electric Darts out at sea and they have proven themselves mighty useful over and over again.

And about having an armada with custom-tailored ships for different purposes... yes, that is a very good practice, if you ask this seafarer!

18 hours ago, Captain_Rage said:

And of course the fact we got 64-bit versions of Don't Starve Together for Windows, MacOS and GNU/Linux added in the last update goes unmentioned, lol.

Does anyone know what effect on the game this change actually serves? Like from a player's point of view, what does it actually do better compared to before it?

12 minutes ago, ZombieDupe said:

Does anyone know what effect on the game this change actually serves? Like from a player's point of view, what does it actually do better compared to before it?

To put in an easy way, if you have a big screen for your pc, 64 bit is your choice. If you have a nomal one like mine, 1920 x 1080 nothing change for you.

The game can address more than 4 Gb of RAM if needed. If you are hosting a server with many players and entities in the world you will probably see a performance increase (this is subject to many factors, such as the hardware specifications and your mileage can vary). This mostly goes for huge worlds with many objects and players however.

On my computer the performance hasn't changed from what I can tell, to be honest, but the fact that it runs the same instruction set as the operating system and that Steam doesn't have to resort to legacy libraries for running the game feels great.

PS.

Imagine hosting a dedicated server with multiple shards on the same computer for ~ 50 players without memory shortage issues, weeeeee.

13 minutes ago, QuartzBeam said:

It has nothing to do with screen size or resolution.

it is in reality for performance in general, mine was a fast explain because i'm lazy and didn't want to explain a long paper for all what it can do. 

Archived