Anything you guys want to be revised or looked at before Waterlogged goes live next week?

We're in the homestretch now! Only less than a week before the update goes live. Last chance to address anything you guys might want about the upcoming update such as boat mechanics, figs, new biome, new mobs, new recipes, etc.

I'm still holding out hope for some recipe stat tweaks myself (looking at you Frogwich and Stuffed-Trunk), but I would love to hear your guy's thoughts as well.

To my mind this update is generally little bland. Knobbly trees and above average trees are only an expensive decoration, grass gators are a reskin of koalefants, fig dishes aren't interesting, new fish doesn't add anything new.

I think the ship has sailed for any more changes, but renewable grass tufts and saplings from grass gekkos or renewable fireflies in the new biome would be great.

2 hours ago, maciu67 said:

above average trees are only an expensive decoration

Expensive decoration that protects things from lightning, smoldering, as well as rain and overheating partially.

While I do think that canopy is a great addition to any large base and the seafaring changes are undoubtedly improving the sailing experience, I still think the update suffers greatly in the accessibility and impact department. This largely stems from the fact that the main new resource, figs are very limited to their native biomes - this limits everything- from the number of tree jam you can make to using figs for their unique crock pot recipes.

While the same basic issue can be seen from the other resources of the sea from previous similar updates: Salty Dog's Salt and Troubled Waters' Barnacles, they still have their own ways to make these sources plentiful and impactful if engaged with. Salt crystals definitely need more uses but they work well because a single visit to a salt marsh can usually provide about 40+ of these minerals without freshness. Cookie cutter shells do demonstrate the problem with the figs to an extent because while some are needed for progression there is hardly any incentive to keep and collect more as they are an uncommon drop from cookie cutters and the armor doesn't have very impressive stats, their drop rate should be increased to 33% or even 50%. Also, salt marshes themselves are at many different locations all around the map, unlike the rather limited number of the Great Tree biomes. Barnacles of the seaweeds are usually a rare delicacy but it one takes some effort to transfer the seaweeds to a nearby location, they can become very reliable food sources at any season while interacting greatly with other RoT content; stone fruit bushes, farming and fishing. The problematic resource of the seaweed biomes are the seedshells as they do very low damage and only stack up to 20.

Back to Waterlogged's figs, they are neither plentiful nor easy to store/stack up. On average there are only three great tree biomes per world and one holds quite a limited number of figs- this only makes tree jams for the specific purpose of growing canopy a feasible way to use them. During gameplay, this translates to fig dishes being made very rarely and tree jam not being spared for their many other potential functions like repairing boats, fertilizer, changing the stage of other trees or Wormwood's blooming. The best way to improve this would be letting above average trees spawn a couple vines of their own, it'd be very much deserved for going through the ordeal of growing them and would greatly increase figs' visibility and uses during gameplay. Any additions that compliment this like lowered fig cost for tree jams (or more jams made per craft) or sweetish fish dropping figs when killed would also be welcome. Fixing the pathetic stats of figgy frogwich and buffing stuffed trunk's hunger value would also help fix the problems of impactfulness with the figs.

I don't get Klei's seemingly hesitant position to implement any of these since they do not hurt the usefulness of Great tree biomes in any way. They are still the unique homes of more knobby nuts, striders and grass gators. Keeping figs unique to them only hurts them as figs will be forgotten, ignored and any collected will most rationally stored as limited tree jam for making above average trees.

What if tree jam could be applied to farm plants to grow them by one stage kind of like how fertilizers would pre RWYS? It wouldn't be worth it just to get food slightly faster, but it could help players spawn the lord of the fruit flies more conveniently.

I mean, ideally I'd rather they just change the spawn conditions themselves, but RWYS has been out for awhile so I probably shouldn't hold my breath. :p

6 hours ago, QuartzBeam said:

Expensive decoration that protects things from lightning, smoldering, as well as rain and overheating partially.

Are you want to use that treen instead of lightning rod or eyebrella?

18 minutes ago, maciu67 said:

Are you want to use that treen instead of lightning rod or eyebrella?

No, but I would use it instead of a bunch of flingomatic that has almost half the range, eats up a lot of fuel and put out firepits and endothermic firepits.

56 minutes ago, QuartzBeam said:

No, but I would use it instead of a bunch of flingomatic that has almost half the range, eats up a lot of fuel and put out firepits and endothermic firepits.

So you will be limited to 5 turfs from coast. (Annoying leafs included)

Just now, maciu67 said:

So you will be limited to 5 turfs from coast. (Annoying leafs included)

I'll take the foliage overlay over the sandstorm any day.
Also, the overly is gorgeous.

24 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

dont do it

for me is wonderful to protect the edge of my oasis desert base

the sandstorm does that already, no?

11 minutes ago, QuartzBeam said:

Also, the overly is gorgeous.

As decoration should be.

11 minutes ago, QuartzBeam said:

the sandstorm does that already, no?

Sandstorm protect all desert even edges. (I'm not sure but I suppose it protect also small arena outside of desert but only when player is in sandstorm)

Just now, ArubaroBeefalo said:

edges

if i leave the biome at day everything can burn

Well, yeah, but even with the trees, that still leaves the inland portion of the base vulnerable.

I used lureplants (sometimes with flingos) at the edge of my oasis desert. The moment I existed the sandstorm, the lureplants would become the only valid wildfire target, so the base itself would be safe.

3 minutes ago, QuartzBeam said:

Well, yeah, but even with the trees, that still leaves the inland portion of the base vulnerable.

I used lureplants (sometimes with flingos) at the edge of my oasis desert. The moment I existed the sandstorm, the lureplants would become the only valid wildfire target, so the base itself would be safe.

that is something i should be doing

i just need a tree to protect the boats i use as bridge to my anenemies and as fish chests plus some kelp so i like the update

is true that for a non niche scenarios the trees are bland

My plan is to find a world with a reasonably long "river" and create a wildfire-proof summer base both *in* the river itself (using boats) and on either bank.

I think the wildfire radius is only slightly bigger than your screen, so I could build the rest of the megabase reasonably close.

9 minutes ago, QuartzBeam said:

My plan is to find a world with a reasonably long "river" and create a wildfire-proof summer base both *in* the river itself (using boats) and on either bank.

I think the wildfire radius is only slightly bigger than your screen, so I could build the rest of the megabase reasonably close.

This is my plan also. Preferably a river that cuts across the swamp biome and the deciduous with pig king (or another useful biome)

4 hours ago, HowlVoid said:

At the very least the trees themselves being targeted by lighting. 

Did that ever get fixed? Otherwise there's no point.

Most likely will be fixed in the official update this Thursday:

On 8/4/2021 at 2:14 PM, zarklord_klei said:

Changed Status to Fixed

Archived