Maxwell rework when?

I mean, I know it's going to happen eventually. It has to, right? Even if it's not this year it'll one day happen. Because it would be nice to play as Maxwell without having to use a mod to improve the shadow puppets' abilities. In my humblest opinion they're the one thing about him that needs a rework. Just fix that and he'd be perfect. But this is just my opinion from having played as him for hours. What are your thoughts and ideas on a future Maxwell rework? 

I will be extremely disappointed if Wendy gets cool new abilities and power over her sisters ghost with a new Wendy exclusive mob she has to interact with, if Willow got cool new abilities with a Teddy that not only helps keep her warm but enlarges and protects her when low sanity, if WES got cool new abilities with balloons that make him move faster, If Wigfrid got cool new abilities to make weapons last longer and to literally battle Carol enemies so they Flee away.. if Webber got the ability to decorate a spider den so it never grows out of control, can cut down dens that grow too large & sleep in tier 3 dens like tents, and pick up spiders in his inventory..

And Maxwell only gets improvements to his already existing gameplay.

My point: Like it or not the characters are changing.. ALOT…

And if you or Klei can’t see that: No offense intended but you guys are all blind to your own game.

So the TL:DR- No.. he needs to change just as much as everyone else has. :lol:

18 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

-snip-

So the TL:DR- No.. he needs to change just as much as everyone else has. :lol:

Now that I think about it, you're right. I'm thinking too small.

24 minutes ago, ShadowDuelist said:

I also like to think of the new worker types that could be added:

• Sea fishing
  • Tilling the soil
  • Rowing
  • Picking crops
  • Carrying heavy objects (boulders, giant crops, sculptures, etc)
  • Piggyback carrying Maxwell (?)

This. This is big brain time right here. 

I really hope they don't change him to much, He already works so well and I feel changing him to much would completely ruin him.

If they change his shadows in a way that makes them less effective at gathering, he's pretty useless. If they change his stats he's be less enjoyable overall. So it's pretty hard to change much about him.

Maxwell has always been pretty connected to the fuel and is clearly accustomed to it and it's power. Giving Maxwell certain Magic crafts when he starts would be a fun little touch, or making him not lose sanity when using certain staffs.

Maxwell's Puppets are his bread and butter, They define his role. The problem is expanding them, a lot of ideas are way to niche and would have very little practicality.

(Sorry if this really poorly formatted, I have such a hard time putting my thoughts into words and I just really don't want Maxwell to be changed to much)

Personally what i find most interesting about max is his potential to be a ‘glass cannon’ and his proficiency at/knowledge of shadow magic. The puppets doing gathering work/chores never really was the selling point of his character for me. 

In max’s case i think it would be interesting if he could deal a lot of damage not by way of dmg modifier like wolf but through skillful execution. An example: moving into a triangle formation with 2 shadow duelists would cause them to vanish and unleash a flurry of attacks not unlike the forge puppets and afterwards they reappear. This would have some kind of a cooldown so Maxwells fighting would revolve around periodically positioning urself in the right way to trigger this attack in between kiting. Something like that. :-D 

I havent played max in a while but i did play a 300ish days world as him once and i always wished the duelists were more engaging and impactful. 

30 minutes ago, Ohan said:

Personally what i find most interesting about max is his potential to be a ‘glass cannon’ and his proficiency at/knowledge of shadow magic. The puppets doing gathering work/chores never really was the selling point of his character for me. 

In max’s case i think it would be interesting if he could deal a lot of damage not by way of dmg modifier like wolf but through skillful execution. An example: moving into a triangle formation with 2 shadow duelists would cause them to vanish and unleash a flurry of attacks not unlike the forge puppets and afterwards they reappear. This would have some kind of a cooldown so Maxwells fighting would revolve around periodically positioning urself in the right way to trigger this attack in between kiting. Something like that. :-D 

I havent played max in a while but i did play a 300ish days world as him once and i always wished the duelists were more engaging and impactful. 

i like the idea of glass cannon but at the same time has little sense in this game taking in count how healing and armor works  (even less sense with his sanity reg+ 95%resistance with night armor)

anyways, his duelist should be more fun to use

pd. tilling shadow pls he is the great maxwell not a peasant, let the shadows do the dirty job

Maxwell.. the former puppet king, the ruler of the constant, creator of most everything in the constant.. and yet: His Gameplay revolves around having shadow worker clones of himself do minor labor activities like chopping wood.

This guy should be FEARED for all the right Reasons.. Just look at this Official Klei Halloween Art: 
E04A9445-C2D9-4576-9ED9-386CF92CE66F.thumb.jpeg.343df9231b67bb906e372d0c26dc059c.jpegEEBB54D7-71A1-4E9E-8714-D30DBA792645.thumb.jpeg.2c2e8a46b815a81bedd202d961f173fa.jpeg

As you can See, the Mighty Maxwell should be fully capable of creating more than just shadow workers of himself.. maybe perhaps let workers be ONE Niche role.. that you can say craft worker with X tool in hand and can replace the equipped tool to swap their role (example having a slot where you drag an axe into and all shadows will chop, remove the axe & put in a sword all shadows fight etc..)

Meanwhile: Give the guy the actual constructs he pulls from his books/filled the constant with PLEASE.. 

Unless you want to explain he lost his power to create all these cool projections through some actual lore or whatever.

I'd really appreciate it if he moved away from his shadow puppets gimmick (while also improving existing ones) and moved on to shadow weaving.

I have always been disappointed that he isn't using shadow magic to its full potential. He does shadow clone jutsu and that's it. 

How about implementing chanting? During the time he remains still and chants, powerful effects will take place in exchange for nightmare fuel.

Just an example.

Taking damage interrupts the cast

1. A cold reception: At a low cost of shadow fuel Maxwell well hit all nightmares on screen for some damage with shadow hands. Fast cast.

2. King of winter: At a medium cost of shadow fuel Maxwell locks all mobs on screen in place for a few seconds with shadow chains. Enemies can still attack with melee attacks. Fast cast.

3. The game is afoot: At a high cost of shadow fuel Maxwell slowly spawns 3 hounds which will chase an enemy and do damage once before disappearing. The hounds will stay at maxwells side until they spot an enemy. Maxwell can stack hounds until a cap is reached. Very Slow casting. 

4. Archipelago: At a high cost of shadow fuel a shield will surround only Maxwell and protect him from damage for a few seconds or until its destroyed. Medium casting.

5. Two worlds: At a very high cost of shadow fuel Maxwell will spawn shadow walls that split the screen down the middle for a few seconds forcing mobs to go around it. Maxwell can go through the wall unimpeded. Very fast casting.

6. Darkness: At a high cost of shadow fuel Maxwell will be ignored by enemies for a minute until he attacks or time runs out. Enemies already in pursuit will not be affected. Very slow casting.

Alternatively, Darkness can blind enemies for a minute or until attacked.

I’d just like to echo the sentiment that Maxwell not being steered in a different direction would be boring and not faithful to his character. A guy with control over magic being… a premier resource gatherer…? Sure his shadows should stay and he should be able to turn them passive, and some (namely duelist) should get improved or added, but I feel like he should get a focus on the magic that he can do for combat and utility. He has great potential and I think out of all the reworks that he (and kind of Wolfgang) should change the most from his base design. 

13 hours ago, HowlVoid said:

I'd really appreciate it if he moved away from his shadow puppets gimmick (while also improving existing ones) and moved on to shadow weaving.

I have always been disappointed that he isn't using shadow magic to its full potential. He does shadow clone jutsu and that's it. 

How about implementing chanting? During the time he remains still and chants, powerful effects will take place in exchange for nightmare fuel.

Just an example.

Taking damage interrupts the cast

1. A cold reception: At a low cost of shadow fuel Maxwell well hit all nightmares on screen for some damage with shadow hands. Fast cast.

2. King of winter: At a medium cost of shadow fuel Maxwell locks all mobs on screen in place for a few seconds with shadow chains. Enemies can still attack with melee attacks. Fast cast.

3. The game is afoot: At a high cost of shadow fuel Maxwell slowly spawns 3 hounds which will chase an enemy and do damage once before disappearing. The hounds will stay at maxwells side until they spot an enemy. Maxwell can stack hounds until a cap is reached. Very Slow casting. 

4. Archipelago: At a high cost of shadow fuel a shield will surround only Maxwell and protect him from damage for a few seconds or until its destroyed. Medium casting.

5. Two worlds: At a very high cost of shadow fuel Maxwell will spawn shadow walls that split the screen down the middle for a few seconds forcing mobs to go around it. Maxwell can go through the wall unimpeded. Very fast casting.

6. Darkness: At a high cost of shadow fuel Maxwell will be ignored by enemies for a minute until he attacks or time runs out. Enemies already in pursuit will not be affected. Very slow casting.

Alternatively, Darkness can blind enemies for a minute or until attacked.

"welcome to the league of starving character spotlight, featuring Maxwell the puppet master"

31 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

"welcome to the league of starving character spotlight, featuring Maxwell the puppet master"

Well the dev team is sloooowly heading that way so idk.

Webber got a aoe heal with almost no cooldown. *shrugs*

A thing that came to my sleep deprived brain was more uses for the Codex Umbra. Maxwell relies on it; says so in his vigenette. So shouldn't the book do more besides summon puppets? Magic as has already been suggested most definitely. But, silly as this is, I want to use the book as a weapon like Willow does her lighter. Wouldn't do a lot of damage, but it would be something early on. And maybe equipping it would have a secondary effect of some kind? 

I think it could be pretty fun if duelists cost max health to summon but were much more useful, maybe -30 max health each so you'd have 15 with 2 duelists, but they could copy maxwell's current weapon/be intangible like forge duelists/attack a lot faster than current duelists/something along those lines

1 hour ago, Guille6785 said:

I think it could be pretty fun if duelists cost max health to summon but were much more useful, maybe -30 max health each so you'd have 15 with 2 duelists, but they could copy maxwell's current weapon/be intangible like forge duelists/attack a lot faster than current duelists/something along those lines

Ok **** let's scale it back to maybe -20 hp, so he doesn't die in one hit WHEN wearing a pig helmet. 

I was wondering why the "combat is overrated" person was making combat suggestion...

"It's a trap!"

Why was that censored? Its not even profanity!

22 minutes ago, HowlVoid said:

Ok **** let's scale it back to maybe -20 hp, so he doesn't die in one hit WHEN wearing a pig helmet. 

I was wondering why the "combat is overrated" person was making combat suggestion...

"It's a trap!"

Why was that censored? Its not even profanity!

I care about fun abilities and uniquely powerful mechanics not good ones, it's why I liked that webber can now heal from nurse spiders

honestly getting one shot through a football helm would be frustratingly hilarious 

Archived