217 members have voted

1. 1. How often

• All the time
    • Occationally
    • In situations where it's needed
    • Never

25 minutes ago, BezKa said:

If you want easy access to map, reassign it to Tab

I reassigned map to tab already years ago, F for action, space for attack. Problem is game has more important actions, and if one uses mouse to switch items in the inventory, then they should use WASD for movement I guess, which leads to the same problem: WASD + QEF+space+tab=9. Or are you saying you are moving and switching using mouse for both? 

48 minutes ago, Pig Princess said:

I reassigned map to tab already years ago, F for action, space for attack. Problem is game has more important actions, and if one uses mouse to switch items in the inventory, then they should use WASD for movement I guess, which leads to the same problem: WASD + QEF+space+tab=9. Or are you saying you are moving and switching using mouse for both? 

I have plenty of time between moving and attacking to rotate. whenever I don't use a finger, it's free to slap q or e a couple of times. It's hard to explain like this.

20 hours ago, 0bit said:

Constantly. People will say things like "it's north east of spawn. it's left of base."
I cannot understand them.

Craft a compass.

14 hours ago, AlienMagi said:

I recommend everyone who rotates often to remember which way north is when they spawn, by associating the terrain around the spawn gate with the various directions.

Knowing directions is pretty important. Especially without global positions. 

Compasses, flares and moonlenses exist, you know.

10 hours ago, Pig Princess said:

I have a question to everyone who rotates camera often: how can you have enough fingers to keep them on 2 rotation buttons, button for map, for action, attack, shift (to move items quickly between containers) and switch items in the inventory (for example, torch/tool or cane/tool)? Because even though I'm moving my character with mouse, if I want to always press correct buttons as soon as I need their respective action, I feel like I'm forced to keep fingers on them. This leads me to lock camera angle in boss fights, especially that is noticeble in a fight with Fuelweaver. I could rebind some actions to another buttons, but it's either even less convenient (like pressing ctrl while my fingers are on Q, E, tab, space and F), or shape of other buttons is too similar and I would be forced to look to keybord and pay less attention to the actual screen.

Hah, strange.... Honestly, until you pointed it out, I never thought it was difficult, really. I don't use the mouse to move, it works with inventory, inspection of objects and craft. If you need to change the tool in your hands, this is done with the right mouse button. Also, I don't use the button to open the map, if necessary, I do it with the mouse and the icon in the lower right corner of the screen - it's more convenient for me.(Seriously, the only times I press "M", I do it by mistake. On YouTube, this is a mute and I really hate this key.)  I don't use "Tab" either - it opens crafting, but it's terribly inconvenient for me, to the point that I reassigned this key so that "Tab" doesn't do anything if I accidentally click on it. There were several times when the finger slipped, and the crafting window is NOT what you need in battle. While it's open, all the "WASD" keys are not responsible for the movement of the character, but for choosing an object for crafting, and your character stops. And to close it, you need to reach for "Esc", which requires you to remove your hand from the other keys and reach for this one not immediately intuitive button. It can cost your life. 

The left hand is for everything else. And if I try to describe it... The three middle fingers in the neutral position are located on the buttons "A" "W" and "D". These are left, right and up. At the same time, the middle finger can be quickly moved to "S" to move down, and the index finger can either be moved to "E" to rotate the camera, or to "F" for a quick attack (I don't use" Q " in principle, I'm used to that in minecraft it's throwing an item out of the inventory, and this was a function that I almost never needed and it only interfered. If I need to rotate the camera, I would rather make a full turn with the "E" than press the "Q" once). The thumb is always on the space bar for quick automatic actions, and the little finger can be moved either to "Ctrl" in combination with "F" for a forced attack, or to "Shift" for repeated crafting and quickly move items. These are rarely used functions, but in other games, especially platformers, which I have played a lot, "Shift" is often running, and you have to clamp it constantly. And the "Ctrl" is only slightly lower, so I have no problems reaching for these buttons.

And, well, that's it. Other than that, it's just an experience, I guess? I'm quite comfortable with that position. Although I can probably imagine that the length of the fingers is different for everyone, so I can't say anything about this. But even if you can't reach the default buttons, you can reassign them to closer keys, right? The rest, as well as multitasking in their switching, is a matter of practice. At least I can't remember having any special difficulties with rotating the camera in battle, including with bosses. Although, of course, I don't rotate the camera during the attack itself, when the "F" is clamped - I do it when I run away a little for the "hit-and-run" tactic. This is a small window of time, but if I need to change the viewing angle, this is enough for me.

On 7/2/2021 at 9:41 PM, LinknAllie said:

My friend and I were talking about how often we rotate the camera and he wondered if he's one of the only ones who rotate the camera a lot.  Yes,  I understand this is a stupid question.

I rotate my camera to make it where I am always running up

I do generally try to include some sort of landmark along with the direction when I say something is "northeast". Like "northeast through the blue mushroom forest" or "south of the dragonfly desert", and if those directions obviously contradict the other person's map I expect them to ask which way up my map is and/or rotate their map until it fits.

In practice I often end up just using a flare.

On 7/2/2021 at 9:41 PM, LinknAllie said:

My friend and I were talking about how often we rotate the camera and he wondered if he's one of the only ones who rotate the camera a lot.  Yes,  I understand this is a stupid question.

Haha. Funny you say that since you know as well as I do that you wondered if you were the only one who didn't rotate the camera. I guess I win this round, Link.    :D
liam_re_with_ham_bat.png.66b54bdc4781f5476a1772db7557f85a.png

i have a set way that i have my camera rotated where it’s the same as friend has his. i rotate it often, but always go back to where we had it set so when giving directions to each other, we’re on the same page. i mostly rotate so i can see everything around me and to place structures the way i want them. i play on console so i don’t have mods to help with that. 

Honestly I'm surprised at how many people selected "all the time"

Whenever I change the camera and don't change it back I get disoriented and/or lost, plus it gets harder to give directions to people you're playing with. 
I only ever use it if I need a different view of something, or am placing something in a specified spot, then I always put it back

17 hours ago, GrMcGillacactus said:

Honestly I'm surprised at how many people selected "all the time"

Whenever I change the camera and don't change it back I get disoriented and/or lost, plus it gets harder to give directions to people you're playing with. 
I only ever use it if I need a different view of something, or am placing something in a specified spot, then I always put it back

as someone who rotates their camera literally constantly I never feel disoriented or lost, I guess since thats just how I've always played it made me more aware of my surroundings, however i will usually always keep my base in the same orientation or else i get super confused, not sure why that is 

3 hours ago, TemporarySolutn said:

as someone who rotates their camera literally constantly I never feel disoriented or lost, I guess since thats just how I've always played it made me more aware of my surroundings, however i will usually always keep my base in the same orientation or else i get super confused, not sure why that is 

I feel like when it comes to bases, a lot of people design them using one specific camera angle as a reference point. Sure, you might rotate your camera a lot while actually building your base and performing various tasks. But, at least for me, when I finish a section of my bases, I always turn my camera back to the position from which I initially envisioned the area and how it should be organized. 

For instance, when I use the "kitchen" area in my bases, I always like to have the crockpots be in front of the iceboxes rather than behind. It's just a visual preference I've developed over time.

And as for the orientation thing, what I normally do is look for "landmarks." Like, "oh, it's the moonstone, and that specific petrified hound statue is to the right of it, so I know that if I keep going to the right past that hound statue, I'll reach the swamp." etc etc

I rotate the map once so that when building base I have straight square patterns rather than having everything diagonaly. I then stick to that point of view almost all the time.

I rotate the camera when fighting M/Goose to circle around her nest and Klaus to keep myself between his deers. After the fight I come back to my usual view.

I often go into short arguments with friends when asking for directions, for example
Friend: Where's Deerclops?
Me: To the left of the base.
F: Which left? You meant east?
M: I have no damn clue where east is, My front is when fire pit and alchemy engine is right above me.
F: So it's.... on my front???
Meanwhile the clops murdered me and started closing in to our base.

Honestly, at moments like these I wish the compass was a passive thing, although even then I doubt I would use it since I'm terrible with directions.

On 7/3/2021 at 5:11 PM, sosiskaKi said:

Compasses, flares and moonlenses exist, you know.

Even ignoring the crafting cost and fact that you don't spawn being able to craft it, compasses require you permanently dedicating 7% of your inventory to an item that can be entirely replaced by the simple skill he was describing. Flares & moonlenses are not something you do, they are something someone else does, so that's completely moot. Not to mention that many times (most, in my experience) when someone is describing directions they're describing somewhere they aren't currently at.

Just looking at simple landmarks, such as near spawn, so you can remember which way north is is by far the best way to do it.

On 7/3/2021 at 9:20 AM, Pig Princess said:

I have a question to everyone who rotates camera often: how can you have enough fingers to keep them on 2 rotation buttons, button for map, for action, attack, shift (to move items quickly between containers) and switch items in the inventory (for example, torch/tool or cane/tool)?

I used to have a mouse with 13 buttons + 4 scroll wheel inputs, now I only have a mouse with 10 buttons + 3 scroll wheel inputs (and 2 buttons + 1 scroll wheel input are garbage). I put attacking & map on my mouse. Used to also put turning the camera on it, until Steelseries decided to discontinue the one good mouse they had so I couldn't replace it when it broke and had to downgrade to this Corsair mouse with a terrible program and nonfunctional buttons.

For a long time I used only the initial angle and never rotated the camera, because every time I pressed Q or E it rotated in the opposite direction than which I expected, and confused me. Then I realised i could just swap them. Now it feels just as natural as W-A-S-D.

When building walls or when something's in the way of my view, then right back to default.  I have seen too many people get lost and not be able to find each other/base for days at a time because YOUR "north" was THEIR "east", and also the map looks weird to me as well, when it's at a different angle from how I was originally exploring.  I have seen _so_ many Let's Plays where people yelled back and forth in panic for game days trying to figure out where the heck the other one was, because of rotating your camera and forgetting (or not knowing) that that also rotates the map itself.

More than once, upon getting everyone together, I have chosen an item on the screen and gone "Okay.  Which direction is this from you?" to find out which way everyone's cameras were, and then get them all lned up the same way.  Turning it is just too confusing, and if you do it all the time, while moving, it can make me freakin' dizzy.  I...don't even watch Let's Players who do that all the time.  It bugs me too much.  (If they have funny commentary (that describes what's going on adequately) I might listen to them in the background as a podcast,  but watch? Nope.)

...Notorious

Archived