How many characters that have already been refreshed deserve a small QoL update or completely new rework?

How many characters that have already been refreshed deserve a small QoL update or completely new rework?  

117 members have voted

1. 1. How many characters should have a QoL update?

• Less than/exactly 3
    • More than 3
  2. 2. How many characters should have a complete rework again?

• Less than/exactly 3
    • More than 3

I think Warly is fine, but Chef Pouch could be a bit better
Against having him gain more hunger from his own foods, since that would directly counteract his faster hunger drain in a way that trivializes it (in Shipwrecked, his hunger drained 33% faster but crock pot meals were also 33% more effective. He may as well have had neither of those perks)
Warly is good for what he is, he's a challenge character for the player who wants to test their cooking ability. Most people I see who play him seem to be pretty happy with how he's turned out.

8 hours ago, Mysterious box said:

I just want them to give trinkets a use for Wurt even if it's not gold like maybe guaranteed tentacle spots or something.

like: give fish to merm king -> get trinket -> give trinket to merm king for tentacle spots? 

----

i think merm king giving trinkets is just too odd. best case scenario, wurt farms trinkets and gives them to a friend to trade with PK for gold. But who needs that much gold. one ruins trip and ur set for several years even with multiple people. 

i would love to see Merm king's loot table overhauled to resemble a trading system more like that of the Yaarctopus in SW. daily trading with the octopus king was one of my fav things to do in SW. 

So different rewards for different fish + more precious rewards if the fish is particularly heavy (and maybe he likes shell bells too)

Higher tier rewards could include golden hoe, bucket of poop, a new kind of growth formula fertilizer, berry bushes, spiky bushes, spiky tree seeds, bull kelp stalks and most precious of all: plantable Reeds. i think making Merm king a source of renewable plantables would be a perfect way to make the Merm King (and ocean fishing!) really important to everyone, including non-wurts. (rot, seeds, tent spots etc would remain as lower/average tier rewards but no more trinkets)

I stand by what I said earlier about Merm Kings pool being roughly equal to Catcoons, with catcoons being superior for accepting twigs. I think adding flints would be enough to redeem his, gives roughy the equivalent to pig kings gold, but also allows spears for flortifications and even farmland expansion that Wurts would prefer.

18 hours ago, ShadowDuelist said:

I think the rest is fine, he's meant to be a "somewhat better but overall mediocre" jack of all trades and he does that well (and I've mained Woodie for 1500 hours). He does cheaply a lot of things, somewhat better than average.

I really like the wetness immunity idea, I would even use the forms just to dry off if I was in a sticky situation for whatever reason. My question is how do you make the most out of the Beaver? I find the form mostly useless as it's just too inconvenient to save a few twigs and flint or just using Bearger. Please enlighten. 

10 hours ago, Ohan said:

like: give fish to merm king -> get trinket -> give trinket to merm king for tentacle spots? 

----

i think merm king giving trinkets is just too odd. best case scenario, wurt farms trinkets and gives them to a friend to trade with PK for gold. But who needs that much gold. one ruins trip and ur set for several years even with multiple people. 

i would love to see Merm king's loot table overhauled to resemble a trading system more like that of the Yaarctopus in SW. daily trading with the octopus king was one of my fav things to do in SW. 

So different rewards for different fish + more precious rewards if the fish is particularly heavy (and maybe he likes shell bells too)

Higher tier rewards could include golden hoe, bucket of poop, a new kind of growth formula fertilizer, berry bushes, spiky bushes, spiky tree seeds, bull kelp stalks and most precious of all: plantable Reeds. i think making Merm king a source of renewable plantables would be a perfect way to make the Merm King (and ocean fishing!) really important to everyone, including non-wurts. (rot, seeds, tent spots etc would remain as lower/average tier rewards but no more trinkets)

I think it would make more sense if she could give them to loyal merm guards for spots or something else instead heck it could even just be a max loyalty contract 2-2.5 days(you could say it's a honor to recieve the king's reward)

16 hours ago, 0bit said:

Warly is good for what he is, he's a challenge character for the player who wants to test their cooking ability. Most people I see who play him seem to be pretty happy with how he's turned out.

I actually really enjoy Warly's downsides, the whole variety eating I find quite fun actually.

56 minutes ago, Terra B Welch said:

I actually really enjoy Warly's downsides, the whole variety eating I find quite fun actually.

Question: How do you manage ruins as Warly? I'm generally mediocre at ruins raiding and I'm curious what dishes one can make to get by assuming no bundling wraps. I have a extreme dependence on Surf 'n Turf as other characters, which obviously won't be enough with Warly. 

8 hours ago, W0l0l0 said:

I really like the wetness immunity idea, I would even use the forms just to dry off if I was in a sticky situation for whatever reason. My question is how do you make the most out of the Beaver? I find the form mostly useless as it's just too inconvenient to save a few twigs and flint or just using Bearger. Please enlighten. 

It's also pretty annoying that while you are a beaver, to have wetness problems while working. It makes no sense.

As you mention the werebeaver is the least useful of the wereforms, and cannot be compared under any circumstance to Maxwell or using Bearger so if you were looking a heavy defense on Woodie, I ain't got one :lol: I just like the idea of a character that has different transformations and can switch utilities cheaply, it's fun.

That said, I've found that while staying an eternity as Woodie and since "the perk is there" (and I am pretty cheap when it comes on saving resources) I just put it to use sometimes. In public servers it's not a rare thing to have to hide the main base deep in a cave, and that bearger gets killed before you get to use it for farming. So out of the picture, the beaver can shine sometimes.
Public servers are never exactly the most efficient servers you can play at: resource hoarding, theft, and intentional fires are a permanent threat you battle against, so the rules of the game and efficiency are not the same as playing alone or with friends.

The main uses I give it are:

Spoiler

• Early game clearing entire forests, when I'm not interested in summoning treeguards and still don't have that many resources to waste lots of gold tools. Same way, early game clearing the rocky biomes. This is considering you are not playing with any decent Maxwell, of course. I find the day-night cycle of pigs kinda annoying, so I just do it myself in one go If nobody else is collecting.
  • After treeguard farming in the caves, usually during the summer when I'm bored, I'd use the beaver to dig out stumps (its almost free and requires no light so I can do it in complete darkness.)  I often feel its wasteful to just burn hundreds of stumps. So If I have nothing better to do, I gnaw them. 
  • To open hundreds of stone fruits at once. I am well aware that gunpowder is also a thing, just a personal choice of how to resolve it: it's there and its almost free to use.... why not? And use the gunpowder on something else.
  • Farming Marble when its level 3 already and bearger is not an option (She's dead, she's lost, She didn't show up yet, I'm at caves, etc)

And that's mostly it. When you reach the late game I rarely use the beaver form again, though. Unless I'm at a very chaotic pub game (which, is where I often like to play at, so you never know when you may need it again)

It's also not like I'd switch to Woodie to do any of these things. But if you already are Woodie, then you can probably put it to use under the right circumstances.

18 hours ago, W0l0l0 said:

My question is how do you make the most out of the Beaver? I find the form mostly useless as it's just too inconvenient to save a few twigs and flint or just using Bearger.

Bearger is better, but if bearger is not an option then werebeaver is considerably better than Lucy. The thing with Woodie is that he's not the best at anything (except finding lunar island I suppose), but he's considerably better than average at most things.

13 hours ago, W0l0l0 said:

Question: How do you manage ruins as Warly? I'm generally mediocre at ruins raiding and I'm curious what dishes one can make to get by assuming no bundling wraps. I have a extreme dependence on Surf 'n Turf as other characters, which obviously won't be enough with Warly. 

One thing you can do is something along the lines of bringing a fishing rod, berries, and chestnuts down, then cooking trail mix as you fish in the lichen ponds so that you can also make unagi & surf 'n' turf. Use that healing food to get to the labyrinth, then use bat bats for further healing.

That is obviously overkill, though, and you can omit a lot of it. If you're Super Baller™ you can just sneak into the lab and exclusively use the plundered bat bats for healing.

On 7/1/2021 at 2:02 AM, SinancoTheBest said:

The latest patch improved his standing greatly, I think Webber is in a quite strong and good position. I'd have to play with him more to come up with more pitches but one tweak that'd "complete him" would be to make his spiders follow him between the caves and the surface. His switcherdoodle prices for some crafts like Warrior, Spitter and Dangling still feel a bit stiff and inconsistent so I wouldn't mind one craft giving two switcherdoodles. Prices for the cheap priced ones like Nurse and shttered spiders could be adjusted to follow suit.

you can pick them up so thats technically a thing

2 hours ago, TemporarySolutn said:

you can pick them up so thats technically a thing

I guess that's the intended way of transporting spiders to and from caves but it's very inconvenient- takes a lot of inventory space and allied spiders don't fall asleep, for which you have to disband them or trap them, which makes them lose loyalty and cause even more inconvenience through the need of retaking their loyaly, or use panflute or napsack, which are very expensive. In practice, it's much more practical to use two different spider gangs and shoo them in spider hotels on each shard.

I don't think it's a must have change and it might be an intended balancing mechanism against his indefinite follower perk. Nevertheless it would surely improve the quality of the lives of webber players as they wouldn't have to dispatch their armies or be discouraged from doing so when they need to go down into caves for lightbulbs, naked molebat noses or a million other reasons you'd go down to caves in a quick visit.

3 hours ago, SinancoTheBest said:

I guess that's the intended way of transporting spiders to and from caves but it's very inconvenient- takes a lot of inventory space and allied spiders don't fall asleep, for which you have to disband them or trap them, which makes them lose loyalty and cause even more inconvenience through the need of retaking their loyaly, or use panflute or napsack, which are very expensive. In practice, it's much more practical to use two different spider gangs and shoo them in spider hotels on each shard.

I don't think it's a must have change and it might be an intended balancing mechanism against his indefinite follower perk. Nevertheless it would surely improve the quality of the lives of webber players as they wouldn't have to dispatch their armies or be discouraged from doing so when they need to go down into caves for lightbulbs, naked molebat noses or a million other reasons you'd go down to caves in a quick visit.

It's just so inconsistent and unintuitive.

What's the point of making spiders in the inventory retain their loyalty when you enter/exit caves if there's virtually no way to pick up a loyal spider in the first place? Is anyone really gonna dismiss spiders with the shoo box, then pick them up, then feed them in the inventory to take them on a journey? Especially considering that spiders in the inventory do not get auto-tamed when you feed a spider meat, so you'd have to spend 1 monster meat per captured spider just to... avoid the "trouble" of taming them for a 3rd of the price after you switch shards?

And while spiders (and other followers) re-following Webber if he reconnects in the same spot is nice, in practice, it's just a little QoL thing so you can drop into the caves and grab a few light bulbs without losing your whole army. But exiting the caves at a different sinkhole than you entered from still makes you lose your army and the same happens to your cave army when you enter the caves from a different sinkhole than you exited. So if you wanna do the "two armies" strat, you'd basically be limiting yourself to using only a single sinkhole. And so we're back at the "waste half a stack of meat every time you switch shards" status quo.

I really don't think being able to just... pick up a few spider friends and bringing them with you without some overly elaborate and nonsensical ritual would be that big a deal. You can only fit a fraction of your spider horde in your pockets anyway.

I don't like the way refreshes have been handled for many characters, that being the fact that a big part of it involves a crafting tab for every single character. You could find more creative ways to make some special character items and to function the way they do without just making a crafting tab for them or a new additional stat for that matter. If the rework involves structures that everyone can use like with Winona it undervalues the character overall, but making them operable only by the character would make those structures take up valuable space with structures that are useless to everyone else so that's not the solution either.

I think it would be better if each character had at least one special trait that changed the way you play without it being entirely linked to some items, structures or crafting tabs (because if we're being realistic here that's just lazy). Good examples of special traits are Willow's fire immunity (even if not particularly useful, addition of heat immunity would make a bigger difference), Wormwood growing living logs by sacrificing some health (I know this is tied to a tab, but it could be done slightly differently with the same result and animation) or the idea that I brought up for Webber which is for him to be able to see in the dark and have immunity to the sanity drain and damage that you normally get.

Archived