Little Poll on Warly's Pouch

How much do you use Warly's Chef Pouch?  

120 members have voted

1. 1. How much do you use Warly's Chef Pouch?

• I use it a lot, equal to/more than the backpack
    • I barely use it, and replace it with a backpack asap
    • I don't use it at all

15 minutes ago, ShadowDuelist said:

I think making more Warly-only items is redundant.

I'd rather have an item with some more substantial weight than have an item that's not very good but can be given to anyone

I just feel like, Klei considers that having a backpack that slows spoilage is an item worth a boss drop to craft, which makes the insulated pack largely a rare item. Its fine for Warly to get like a "baby" version of this item in the chefs pouch that provides you early game value as a perk.  But i dont like the idea of just spawning with a rare, boss level item, especially when he already has all the cookware and buff dishes so its not like hes hurting for more perks that would lend to a pouch buff.

It's strange but we haven't mentioned that Warly already has the craftable and exclusive portable crock pot, this is his most important item leaving the chef pouch as a bonus item, making the pouch anything better would make Warly too OP without even considering he has exclusive recipes too. If we received a better pouch it should come with a downgrade of the crockpot or Warly himself to make him more balanced.

The chef pouch is pretty good early game item, but it's not Warly's strongest perk.

2 hours ago, sudoku said:

I guess its truee for some character specifc items that they replace other items, but they largely tie into their identity as a character.  Warly chef pouch is more comparable to Willow lighter, they arent the main perk for a character but are instead more of a side benefit.

Willow's lighter is a great comparison because it sucks on other characters but Willow has a perk to make it better. And Willow's lighter still does replace an item, but only for Willow (and technically the two other characters who share this perk for some reason): the campfire. Because she can freely cook items she has no need for a campfire for the most part, only using it in certain situations like tanking deerclops.

3 hours ago, sudoku said:

Warly chef pouch is more comparable to Willow lighter, they arent the main perk for a character but are instead more of a side benefit.

That feels like a bad example to me, because I see Willow's Lighter as being part of her primary function. 
She's the PYROMANIAC, as in, Fire-obsessed. She's not the "doll-maker", or the "teddy bear keeper". 
If anything, Bernie is the side-benefit because all he does is distract enemies and kill shadows. He ONLY kills shadows, nothing else. 
And shadows aren't difficult to kite when you fight them one-on one, so his actual use is relatively limited. 
The lighter and the fire immunity is the true perk. 

It's finee. It's a neat little sidegrade to backpack that honestly works well, it offers six whole slots with 33% spoilage reduction. It would be more worthwhile if the spoilage reduction was 50% but guess Klei thought it'd be too unbalanced for a shareable, cheap, easily reproducible container.

Would it have been much better? Totally. Would it have affected the number of people using it significantly? Likely not.

Would making Warly start with it make more people use it? Absolutely! Humans are complicit, they are slow to take action- if he spawned in one, half of Warly players would never switch to backpack I bet, despite how easy it is to make one anyway. Probably many non-experienced players aren't even aware of this item's existence, just like the number of people shocked to discover the existence of Seed-pack-it as it was displayed in Webber's belonging chest.

In the end, I use it when playing as Warly, make more for other players and usually keep using it until getting an Insulated pack. For all who ask why not use the so called "better" backpack instead, the inverse of the question applies: Why give up 1/3rds spoilage reduction for merely two extra slots?

42 minutes ago, Wendy C. said:

If anything, Bernie is the side-benefit because all he does is distract enemies and kill shadows. He ONLY kills shadows, nothing else. 

Bernie will taunt and kill any aggressive mobs near willow so long as she is insane. For example, he can taunt spiders while you tank spider queen, or taunt birchnutters while you chop the poison birchnut.

Just now, Grim the said:

Bernie will taunt and kill any aggressive mobs near willow so long as she is insane. For example, he can taunt spiders while you tank spider queen, or taunt birchnutters while you chop the poison birchnut.

It must be a fairly insignificant bonus, since this is the first I've heard of this. Never once have i seen Bernie used for anything other than Shadows. Willows are obsessed with shadows. 

Just now, Wendy C. said:

It must be a fairly insignificant bonus, since this is the first I've heard of this. Never once have i seen Bernie used for anything other than Shadows. Willows are obsessed with shadows. 

Really? You don’t even have to be insane while using him, you can be just above the threshold and he’ll stay big as long as he’s in combat.He only has 25 DPS, so he’s more of a damage sponge than a killer. If you’re doing a 1v1, Bernie tanks the hits and you deal the damage. In fact, Bernie’s rather useful for several combat situations, such as:

- Taunting all the lavae during the DF fight (and he’s got fire immunity)

- Taunting grumblebees for BQ (put him in a wall and you can lure BQ from her pawns)

- Taunting spiders for Spider Queen

- Taunting birchnutters

- A sacrifice when threatened by shadow splumonkies

- Tanking hounds during waves

He’s got some since synergy with Abigail too, since she does more DPS  (only during the night, dusk is the same and day is 10 less) but is AOE, but Bernie has over three times the health. You can have bernie taunt mobs while Abigail kills them.

Chef pouch is fine, I always use it for Warly

I like to store my hambat inside it while roaming as well

The 2 slots are not worth it to me, compared to the +25% when roaming portable crock pot

Late game I stop roaming portable crock pot

So the sack is mostly useful early game, also before you get fridges, you can have the sack on the ground for storage (seeds and food)

10 minutes ago, Grim the said:

Really? You don’t even have to be insane while using him, you can be just above the threshold and he’ll stay big as long as he’s in combat.He only has 25 DPS, so he’s more of a damage sponge than a killer. If you’re doing a 1v1, Bernie tanks the hits and you deal the damage. In fact, Bernie’s rather useful for several combat situations, such as:

- Taunting all the lavae during the DF fight (and he’s got fire immunity)

- Taunting grumblebees for BQ (put him in a wall and you can lure BQ from her pawns)

- Taunting spiders for Spider Queen

- Taunting birchnutters

- A sacrifice when threatened by shadow splumonkies

- Tanking hounds during waves

He’s got some since synergy with Abigail too, since she does more DPS  (only during the night, dusk is the same and day is 10 less) but is AOE, but Bernie has over three times the health. You can have bernie taunt mobs while Abigail kills them.

This is the first I've heard of any of this. 
The closest thing I've ever seen a Willow do to this is dropping Bernie when they're not insane so he dances and does a slight distraction. 
Other than that it's shadows, shadows, shadows, and shadows. 

8 minutes ago, Wendy C. said:

This is the first I've heard of any of this. 
The closest thing I've ever seen a Willow do to this is dropping Bernie when they're not insane so he dances and does a slight distraction. 
Other than that it's shadows, shadows, shadows, and shadows. 

that's why you don't try to learn the game from randoms in pubs

1 hour ago, Wendy C. said:

Tanking lavae and attacking the dragon fly:

Tanking the bee queen:

Bernie is a wonderful asset when playing as Willow. He provides many uses and personally I am loving it. Mostly as a deployable decoy when things go south, but there are other uses as well.

7 minutes ago, Captain_Rage said:

Tanking the bee queen:

Bernie is a wonderful asset when playing as Willow. He provides many uses and personally I am loving it. Mostly as a deployable decoy when things go south, but there are other uses as well.

Willow is Underrated honestly. Immunity to fire, Great sanity management, Easier summer, Very useful follower Bernie.

I assume we are talking about solo Warly early game here. 

I use chef pouch in early game until I can replace it with insulated pack (year 2 in game unless I get thick fur from Klaus). I don't bring full kit when I have already set up a temporary base(Alchemy engine, firepit and chests); Therefore I do not have inventory issue. Keeping fresh ingredient is very important to me so the final cooked dishes can be last for more than 2 days(Warly's Food Memory) 

7 hours ago, ShadowDuelist said:

This is probably not technologically feasible, but what if the chef pouch was actually a hat? Like a place to add more storage with the freshness advantage, but in a completely different slot. And to open and close it, it could work like @Keller Max suggested, opening it on the ground like a tackle receptacle.

This would make it a quite unique item, being a storage hat, which could be useful for everyone (let's consider that the head slot is very important, so the trade in the mid or late game may not be worth it).

I don't like the idea to make it as a Warly only thing, since he already has all the special kitchenware... I think making more Warly-only items is redundant. It would even make it a better item if other players could be interested into having one, at least in the early game.

I really love this idea, i'm surprised no one else has really touched on it; maybe because as you said it might not be feasible to do? But still pretty great idea.

It would be amazing to have it as a head slot item instead of chest, and when dropped on the ground can be accessed to see the contents of it. 

Leaving it at 6 slots so as to not be too OP and allow to be worn by other characters as well. 

12 hours ago, 0bit said:

Small poll because I'm curious on how people view the item. Personally, I use it and then throw it away immediately when I can get a backpack

I usually hold off until I get a science machine for a backpack even as Warly. I find it fairly useless. But I value slots way more than spoilage time, maybe other don't. Warly should be best friends with food bundles anyway.

1 hour ago, Keller Max said:

Willow is Underrated honestly. Immunity to fire, Great sanity management, Easier summer, Very useful follower Bernie.

yeah Willow is clearly the most underrated and hated character at the same time. And mostly just because of the weird perception that you need to spawn with a torch to be able to grief.

38 minutes ago, BeeClops said:

I usually hold off until I get a science machine for a backpack even as Warly. I find it fairly useless. But I value slots way more than spoilage time, maybe other don't. Warly should be best friends with food bundles anyway.

yeah Willow is clearly the most underrated and hated character at the same time. And mostly just because of the weird perception that you need to spawn with a torch to be able to grief.

Now that Willow is one of my favorites, I'm really nervous when joining any servers and picking Willow.

I just really love my "Sanity Kit": Lighter, 20 ropes, Watering can.

4 hours ago, Guille6785 said:

that's why you don't try to learn the game from randoms in pubs

I don't know anyone who plays Willow and I don't bother reading-up on characters I don't play. 

3 hours ago, Captain_Rage said:

Tanking the bee queen:

Abigail is used for much of the same thing and people cry "OVERPOWERED!" 
Put the same power on a lesser-liked character and it's perfectly fine. 

33 minutes ago, Wendy C. said:

I don't know anyone who plays Willow and I don't bother reading-up on characters I don't play. 

I actually consider Bernie to be inferior to Abigail, mostly because Bernie requires Willow to be crazy, and it's a lot of bother to fight against bosses while you are crazy, especially if, like me, you play with a bigger generation of nightmares (I like that sanity is more dangerous).
Plus, Abigail has AoE damage and can be better controlled, has loads of items to power her up, can be used as an emergency light source, can resurrect almost instantly ... well, Bernie is definitely inferior, albeit still useful.

34 minutes ago, Wendy C. said:

Its not the same. Abigail has AOE, Huge dps in the night or with Nightshade Nostrum, She's permanent follower, Has many more different buffs, She can petal debuff enemies, Has a passive shield to protect herself from swarm mobs, Best Bee Queen killer, 600 hp and passive regen, She can get you tons of Monster meat, Silk, Glands, Stingers. She also can be an emergency light source. Wendy does have a single downside: 75% damage, which can be completely negated or even better, have more damage with petal debuff than 100%

Willow:

Bernie. He can only be used when Willow is insane, Medium DPS, can fight shadow creatures. Will be destroyed quickly in any situations, because he has to tank both your mobs and shadow creatures. Can't be healed, but you can hold many of them and repair with a single use of sewing kit. Can't deal with swarms effectively, unlike Abigail.

Also to mention. Killing DF and BQ is much easier with Wendy anyway, lmao. So yes! I feel that Wendy is a little bit too good for her downsides, and doesn't require much skill to get the most out of her kit.. You can just afk and Abi will deal with most threats for you. Teaching new players bad habits of never going into a melee fight.

Abigail deals uncapped aoe damage which enables her to tear through arbitrary amounts of lesser mobs. Bernie is good for distraction and soaking damage but goes down rather quickly when overwhelmed. Abigail can protect the player against waves of smaller mobs indefinitely as long as she kills them fast enough, before they hurt her. Bernie will go down after a while. The comparison doesn't hold up. Bernie is more than well suited for tanking some of the hard-hitting bosses, due to his big amount of HP, but he hardly feels overpowered.

Archived