Little Poll on Warly's Pouch

How much do you use Warly's Chef Pouch?  

120 members have voted

1. 1. How much do you use Warly's Chef Pouch?

• I use it a lot, equal to/more than the backpack
    • I barely use it, and replace it with a backpack asap
    • I don't use it at all

1 minute ago, 0bit said:

Do you guys agree with the nerfs made to the Chef Pouch when it was ported to DST?

Well they did that because they buffed insulated pack to 8 slots.

so yes, it was absolutely worth it, I love insulated pack, my beloved.

I know a lot of people think it's hot garbage because of the 6 slots and the minimally slower spoilage than the original. I understand that if it were the same, then no one would need the hibearnation pack again, but I guess what I don't understand is two things.

1. If Willow can have complete immunity to fire after being changed from resistance vs fire, why can't Warly at least have a good backpack from the start and make it wearable only by him or at least get his increased food bonus back?
  2. If Lucy, the Codex Umbra, Webby Whistle, Shoo Box, and Abigail's Flower are exclusive to their respective characters, why can't Warly have one dedicated to him that would be very useful as well?

If he is expected to cook on the go, then it would make sense that he can keep ingredients and dishes fresh as well; otherwise you're still expected to make all food at your base instead.

3 minutes ago, Owlrus said:

If Lucy, the Codex Umbra, Webby Whistle, Shoo Box, and Abigail's Flower are exclusive to their respective characters, why can't Warly have one dedicated to him that would be very useful as well?

One key difference is that while Lucy, Webber’s tools, and the codex are exclusive, the chef pouch can be given to anyone. I’d love a chef pouch buff, as long as other characters can’t use it as well, or at all.

19 minutes ago, Keller Max said:

As I suggested previously, Chef Pouch should be turned into a Tackle Box like container, have a 50% perishing time (as an Ice box) and only be usable by Warly.

At first I thought this was absurd but I actually think it's kind of a cool idea

I'm going to use the things people have been saying to put something in Suggestions & Feedback about the Chef Pouch, since it seems that a lot of people agree that it's not worth using over a backpack.
The general consensus (on top of my own opinions) I'm hearing is:
1. 6 inventory slots are too little to be worth taking, when the backpack is cheaper and has 8
2. The reduced effectiveness of its food preservation makes the lack of space even worse, since you're getting less value from less space
3. It should be usable by Warly only. Why would any other character want it? It's not even good for Warly, much less other characters
4. It should be buffed, at the expense of being unable to give pouches to other players.

I prefer using chef pouch over a backpack, I like to keep food fresh until I can find the ingredients I need for different dishes or until I can repeat a recipe without the 10% penalty. I keep using the pouch when making a base and only would change it for a piggyback when playing nomadic.

I don't see the point in sacrificing the chest slot for 33% longer lasting items. If I want a backpack I'll use a backpack. I wish it was either exclusive to Warly and a lot better or was better while Warly wears it.

Or at least make it 8 slots, then you can just use it like a backpack. It's not like 33% longer lasting items is a very noticeable perk.

I like the idea of the insulated pack being something Warly should work towards, as opposwd to just being given a comparable item at the start, especially with how cheap the pouch is and the abilty to give them to others. If they made the pouch only usable to Warly and buffed it, that would be slightly better but even so Im not a fan of making existing items redundant.

I think the pouch is fine as is, it offers a compelling enough early game desicion if you want to sacrifice exta storage with extra spoil time, and then is replaced later on with the insulated pack. No different than how a spear and a hambat relate.

Just now, Guille6785 said:

he did start with the pouch back in shipwrecked so I wonder why they removed that, although that said even if he started with the pouch in DST I'd probably still replace it with a backpack anyway lo

48 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

If Warly spawned with it, it would be worthy of using. 

is getting 2 nitre really that difficult? In fact its easier than getting a backpack since you dont need a science machine. 

1 minute ago, Guille6785 said:

why bother if I'm gonna replace it with a backpack in 3 minutes anyway

Idk, people were saying they would use it if they spawned with it. You can literally get the pack in 10 seconds after spawning after mining 1 rock.

24 minutes ago, sudoku said:

is getting 2 nitre really that difficult? In fact its easier than getting a backpack since you dont need a science machine. 

If you have nitre you have a pickaxe. If you have a pickaxe you have a science machine. I'd say the backpack is easier to craft since you can find gold & rocks on the floor and not even need a pickaxe.

17 minutes ago, sudoku said:

Idk, people were saying they would use it if they spawned with it. You can literally get the pack in 10 seconds after spawning after mining 1 rock.

You can also literally be unable to get the pack for multiple days depending on world generation and the behavior of other players. If you spawned with it it'd at least have the potential use for poor starts.

29 minutes ago, sudoku said:

Im not a fan of making existing items redundant.

But that's what character specific items do. Why make football helmets as Wigfrid? Why make flint and gold axes as Woodie? Why make ice staves as Walter? Why make the Lazy Explorer as Wortox? Why make tools as Maxwell at all? 

I use it in a single-player game, there it's normal, 8 slots, is given from the very beginning of the game and works fine until you get an ice box. In DST, however... I don't know, somehow it was never necessary. Especially considering that it's worse than a Bearger backpack, which I've never used either. The space in the inventory is too important for me, and if you need to carry food with you, a bee wrapper is better, since it completely stops spoilage, and more spacious, since it takes up only one slot instead of potentially four. And crafting ropes on the go is almost never a problem.

But that's why something like a tackle box looks really tempting to me. I am the main Warly player, and recently there was a discussion that he was considered a useless character who needed a "personal" benefit. Then we couldn't come up to what it could be, but it really sounds like a good solution! If such a portable refrigerator takes up only one slot and opens on the ground, this will solve the problem with space, allowing to carry a lot of different food to quench his thirst for variability, will correct the uselessness of his backpack, allowing to keep a bigger one, and even save from tinkering with ropes for bee wrappers, which can simply be an annoying and monotonous process for those who often use it. And since only Warly will be able to open it, it will make more sense to play for him, since he will be more convenient for, for example, long trips somewhere. Of course, for the others characters, there is still the snow Chester... But again, free space. Not everyone uses this particular transformation. And I think it's okay, this new item will still be unique and useful. For example, unlike Chester, it could be taken to the caves. I like it!

1 hour ago, Guille6785 said:

he did start with the pouch back in shipwrecked so I wonder why they removed that, although that said even if he started with the pouch in DST I'd probably still replace it with a backpack anyway lol

well maybe because you dont actual spawn whit it like the pack drops of warly as he spawns in single player because a backpack cant be put in the inventory so now imagine how stupid it would look like if warly comes out of the portal and durin the "portaling in" his pack just drops next to him wich in a way someone can steal that pack while you cant move or burn it

This is probably not technologically feasible, but what if the chef pouch was actually a hat? Like a place to add more storage with the freshness advantage, but in a completely different slot. And to open and close it, it could work like @Keller Max suggested, opening it on the ground like a tackle receptacle.

This would make it a quite unique item, being a storage hat, which could be useful for everyone (let's consider that the head slot is very important, so the trade in the mid or late game may not be worth it).

I don't like the idea to make it as a Warly only thing, since he already has all the special kitchenware... I think making more Warly-only items is redundant. It would even make it a better item if other players could be interested into having one, at least in the early game.

1 hour ago, Cheggf said:

If you have nitre you have a pickaxe. If you have a pickaxe you have a science machine. I'd say the backpack is easier to craft since you can find gold & rocks on the floor and not even need a pickaxe.

You can also literally be unable to get the pack for multiple days depending on world generation and the behavior of other players. If you spawned with it it'd at least have the potential use for poor starts.

But that's what character specific items do. Why make football helmets as Wigfrid? Why make flint and gold axes as Woodie? Why make ice staves as Walter? Why make the Lazy Explorer as Wortox? Why make tools as Maxwell at all? 

Most of the time i spawn in, I gather flint from the starting area and there is a rogue rock or two in a mini savanah biome that spawns around the starting zone. Finding a rogue rock is a lot easier than finding gold veins. Crafting a pickaxe is like the first tool you should ever build anyway to get more flint, unless you rob the starting zone of it. Sure world genrtation may make it a bit harder to stumble upon a rock, but boulders spawn in every biome except the swamp.

I guess its truee for some character specifc items that they replace other items, but they largely tie into their identity as a character.  Warly chef pouch is more comparable to Willow lighter, they arent the main perk for a character but are instead more of a side benefit.

Archived