Present your own character ideas

Because why the heck not? I'm talking specifically about ideas for characters, that fit well into the aesthetic and lore of DS/T. I have this one on my mind for quite a while and wanted to share it somewhere. Ladies, lads and nonbinary bats, I present you:

Winnie Witherstone.

Daughter of George Witherstone, Maxwells old magic props supplier, the little girl with the doll seen in the Wes animatic. While her family name is set, I chose the name Winnie because of discarded plans Klei once had for a character named Winnie, who seemed to should have been a kind of animal-friendly character.

How she got into the Constant 

Spoiler

She would make great sense in the world lorewise, since her father evidently had something going on with the shadows himself and probably had financial or other trouble. Being a curious, innocent child, she snuck into her farther's study once to find out, what he was doing there and maybe if she could help him, since he seemed so worried all the time. This way, she might have accidently dicovered a portal, leaving behind no traces of herself but her beloved doll.

Characteristics, perks and quirks 

Spoiler

Winnie is a cheerful, innocent child, quite out of place in a dark place like the Constant. However, she has the ability to make friends easy with her charming attitude - any followers will stick around xy% longer, if feed by her and she can also slightly speed up the process of beefalo taming. On the other hand, she really dislikes violence, making her lose sanity, whenever she kills an non-hostile mob. This loss has 4 tiers: Highest loss from killing Glommer, baby beefalos or your own beefalo. Tier 3 from catcoons, pigs, adult beefalos, moslings, bunnymen, rocklobsters. Tier 2 from birds, carrats, saladmanders, grass gekkos. The lowest loss from all other non-hostile mobs, excluding fish.

Furthermore, while sensitive and easily scared, she is still determined to follow in her farthers footsteps and learn about magic (see: crafting tab).

Her favourite food are pumpkin cookies.

Own crafting tab 

Spoiler

Having left behind her beloved doll, Winnie tries to get into arts and crafts to create her own dolls via the doll crafting tab. Of course, she is her fathers daughter, so she adds a touch of magic.

Basic doll: Made from grass and a sewing kit, it can be hold in the inventory or placed on the ground like a structure for decoration, but does absolutely nothing. Can be upgraded like a moonlens with gems by sticking items onto it.

Cheerful doll: Adding a garland makes the doll give the sanity gain of the garland, when somewhere in inventory, but more importantly it can be placed for a small sanity aura.

Grim doll: 3 dark petals provide a constant sanity drain when in inventory and a negative sanity aura similar to dark flowers when placed. Effect stacks.

Comforting doll: Adding a rabbit puft and a thermal stone makes the doll work like a thermal when in inventory and provide a slow wetness loss when held (because it's practically a towel now!)

Concerning doll: Winnie tried to add some nightmarefuel to see the effect, but she couldn't stand the terrible aura of this stuff. Desperate to undo the scary craft, she remembered the soothing aura of moonglas and stuffed some into the doll as well. Turns out, these two substances don't go well together - the conflicting energies made the doll split in half from the top. It seems completely useless now, but when you let it sit on the floor for a while at night, it does... something.

(When placed, it acts like a celestial fissure on nights towards full moon and as a nightmare fissure towards new moon)

Do you have your own character concepts to share for discussion or want to give feedback on this one? Let me know!

Polish_20210607_093726952.thumb.jpg.55b7a93fb935b2d4ec41899d4c55bdce.jpg

Here on console we never got the opportunity to play Warbucks which is sad times. I know he was canned because of some colonizer nonsense, but there was another reason. The team decided he was also too "boring" which is so strange because then wouldn't you just, I don't know, not make him boring?

I would of changed him to a hunter similar to the crocodile hunter: Steve Erwin (but less animal friendly). An Australian hunter that loves to hunt and survive in nature. 

Perks:

Has a hunters knife

Spoiler

Knife does 1 damage and dealing the killing blow with it has a small chance to provide 1 additional loot: extra pig skin, meat, hound teeth, etc.

Knife also has a 5% chance at 1 shotting mobs starting at 50% hp. Bosses are immune.

Always comes prepared

Spoiler

Has two unique hunter clothing that only he can wear and they both have 120 insulation to BOTH the cold and heat.

Huntets cap: A fisherman's hat that protects against the heat and cold and has slots for lures. It can hold 8 different types of lure (same lures stack).

Hunter's Vest: a vest that protects against cold and heat and has 6/4 slots.

Can exploit an animals weakness

Spoiler

He will always have a small crit (10%) chance of doing double damage but if he uses the correct weapon type that chance increases (25%?). Different enemies have different weakness to a damage type.

Spears/strident trident/Darts- Puncture damage

Glass cutter/ Darksword- Cutting damage

Hambat/thelucite club/ morning star- Blunt damage

Cons: Hunters pride

Will lose sanity quickly if he goes too long without killing something

Will not eat dishes nor stale/spoiled food

Favorite food is raw eggs

Before wurt came out i had an idea for a character that was basically a revived thulecite statue/ one of the ancients that survived (probably not lore accurate idk) that could basically turn into a shadow creature when on low sanity or sth yeah thats basically it, its been a long time ago so i only remember the general idea

I'd like to see every DS character get ported.  Primarily Wagstaff obviously. But then again I don't think it's possible for characters like Walani and Woodlegs since the boat system is much different.  But if that isn't possible or never happens I would like to see an old man character that dabbles in magic or inventions aka Wagstaff.

2 minutes ago, LinknAllie said:

I'd like to see every DS character get ported.  Primarily Wagstaff obviously. But then again I don't think it's possible for characters like Walani and Woodlegs since the boat system is much different.  But if that isn't possible or never happens I would like to see an old man character that dabbles in magic or inventions.

just wait 40 some odd years and wilson will be pretty old

2 hours ago, LinknAllie said:

I'd like to see every DS character get ported.  Primarily Wagstaff obviously. But then again I don't think it's possible for characters like Walani and Woodlegs since the boat system is much different.  But if that isn't possible or never happens I would like to see an old man character that dabbles in magic or inventions.

I just want wheeler in dst

its gonna be a none human again yes like the rest of the "dlc" characters what its gona be? i dont know what have we not exploret into creatures that alredy exist?

walrus tallbirds grassgeko bees rocklobsters bunnys crows and many more it seems

so what could possible be it? now whit the carneval it just seeems fittin for a crow character i guess

but what whit the rest that exist way longer? something of this is my guess in some way a none human

5 minutes ago, Dr.Medic said:

its gonna be a none human again yes like the rest of the "dlc" characters what its gona be? i dont know what have we not exploret into creatures that alredy exist?

walrus tallbirds grassgeko bees rocklobsters bunnys crows and many more it seems

so what could possible be it? now whit the carneval it just seeems fittin for a crow character i guess

but what whit the rest that exist way longer? something of this is my guess in some way a none human

I really hope it's a human character.  

My character idea is already in the official game. Of course, I'm not talking about appearance(mine was looked more like a human and a girl), but back then I wanted a dryad character who would love plants, get sanity from planting, lose it from cutting and burning, could grow them faster, and so on. I wrote down the basic abilities and even started to come up with quotes, but I don't know anything about creating mods, so it was just a small spontaneous idea, limited to a text file, which I never hoped to implement. And then they added Wormwood. It was a very surprising coincidence. Especially because at the time I had no contact with forums or other sources of information about upcoming updates to the game, so I didn't know they wanted to add something like that, and I wasn't inspired by them, my thoughts were completely original. Of course, some things didn't match up, among my ideas was a special relationship with the tree guards and no health effects, but hey, it was still very close and it made me very very happy. Even if for a while I have a strong suspicion that someone at Klei could read minds, haha.

5 hours ago, HowlVoid said:

I know he was canned because of some colonizer nonsense

Really? I never read about why exactly he wasn't implemented but that was actually my first reaction to his design, I would have disliked him in the game cause to me he kinda looks like a sunburned white-butt European aristocrat on an exotic hunting trip, ready to colonize some people. Glad to hear, that apparently that was a good reason to not implement him. No offense to you though, you have cool ideas for him!

36 minutes ago, Falkenpelz said:

Really? I never read about why exactly he wasn't implemented but that was actually my first reaction to his design, I would have disliked him in the game cause to me he kinda looks like a sunburned white-butt European aristocrat on an exotic hunting trip, ready to colonize some people. Glad to hear, that apparently that was a good reason to not implement him. No offense to you though, you have cool ideas for him!

Thanks and no offense taken, but when I look at Warbuck I see this:

2d080dba0dfe231ef11d83eed5726ca6.thumb.png.898c21da48538f216b42b8bb33315663.png

An intrepid explorer with a more modern explorer outfit. They could have done away with the gun and maybe exchanged it for a knife which would reinforced that a bit (knives being standard survival gear). I honestly don't see the colonizer bit at all.

Didn't help that Klei made him obsessed with money for some reason.

I don't see:

527000696_download(11).jpeg.3ba436585a8f2ebbe8880e1e5ab3ddc7.jpeg

I blame Disney lol

Colonizers had the pampered wigs and oversized gowns (that looks like a dress, fight me) and what not. They are more accurately represented in Pocahontas than in Tarzan. The people in Tarzan are Researchers and one is a masquerading as one when really he is a mercenary. 

I even see that one hunter from jumanji

595791745_download(12).jpeg.126d703802731c967a777d14ed13ed4b.jpeg

Either way it was poorly executed, but they could have just changed him. A hunter character would be cool I think.

Cheers.

I made my own character who is a bunnyman/Bunnygal (unsure if the name is gender neutral or not) named Willa.

Spoiler

She would be a caves character but also benift collecting rabbits and rabbit fur/beard hair/nightmare fuel. I have drawings of her three stages of fluff each giving her a boost in winter but a minus in summer because of the floof. If willa is at 1 hunger and you have any meat item she will eat it on command but will instantly turn into a beardling! Poor Willa suffers from the same curse as bunnyman when you are insane and they turn into beardlings. In the Caves Willa can see in the dark, to go with her boost she has a small faster walking speed. (like just a tiny bit faster than normal to not go to crazy. 

Stats: Hunger: 150  Sanity: 130   Health: 120

I have so many drawings of her and including fake skin ideas for her too, I've always wanted to be able to use these ideas and feel like they'd be popular. 

On 6/8/2021 at 1:21 AM, Falkenpelz said:

That was the joke behind him. Being a racist white-butt explorer in aztec pig civilization but people cant split from the jokes to real offense so he was cancelled for that silly reason

Catcoon character! Let's call them Whiskers off the top of my head.

Whiskers can eat any non-important items to use their stomach as a storage space at the cost of space for food, decreasing their max hunger. Uniquely, they do not drop items stored in their stomach upon death and retain them when revived.

Eating over Whiskers' max hunger at any point causes them to cough up a wet hairball of all the items they consumed which they may unravel (or consume again), as well as a highly perishable food item called Goopy Remains.

Goopy Remains replenishes 75% of the stats and effects from the most recent cooked meal Whiskers eats (created at no cost to their own stats). However, no character sans Whiskers will willingly eat Goopy Remains, and it can only be (force)fed to them. This means they increase the value of one meal and are even able to store it until it is needed so long as they do not prematurely max out their hunger.

(note: Whiskers will not create more Goopy Remains without eating another cooked meal first.)

Their drawbacks come in the form of awful eating habits as half a raccoon that make lowering max hunger risky. Under 50% of their remaining max hunger, Whiskers will snack on any food in their inventory on their own, but will especially prioritize foods that lower stats. (Keep monster meat away from them!) On the other hand, not having some food in the inventory for their snacky paws will instead cause a constant sanity drain.

They can craft rolling hairballs that function similar to tumbleweeds. One lights the path until the lightbulb in it rots, another is filled with spears and deals aoe damage as it rolls until the spears' durability are depleted, and seeks out enemies with nightmare fuel added into the recipe.

Lastly, for flavor, they gain a short lingering speed boost and Moggles effect when fighting or hurt by anything in the dark. Their favorite food is Monster Lasagna.

Their Victorian skinset would probably be like a sword swallower!

Archived