[Poll] On Public Server Takeovers

Ni ni ni ni ni ni ni ni ni ni!  

91 members have voted

1. 1. Have you encountered a public server takeover situation before?

2. 2. Do you think public server takeovers are fair usages of the Klei Public Servers?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • I have no hard feelings regarding the matter.
  3. 3. Do you think public server takeovers are fair gameplay styles?

• Yes.
    • No.
  4. 4. Has the new "Griefer Spawn Protection" feature decreased public server takeovers?

• Yes.
    • No.
  5. 5. Do you want DST developers to take further steps to halt the spread of public server takeovers?

• Yes.
    • No.

So I've seen this topic argued hotly throughout threads on the forums:

Spoiler

these threads specifically:

and decided to make a poll about it.

To clarify, public server takeovers are when a group of players take control of a Klei Official Dedicated Public Server (e.g. Clayfish was here!), implementing some, if not all, of these methods to retain control over the server:

- spawn trapping server spawn with structures or mobs

- applying scripts to check if someone so much as equips a torch to prevent griefing

- setting up a system for a player to AFK indefinitely in order to prolong the server

- kicking people deemed threats to the server's prolonged existence

- ensuring that a majority of players present in the server vote together to win rollback and world regen votes

Recently, devs implemented Griefer Spawn protection, which may or may not have helped in this matter. But as always I'd like to see the numbers speak for themselves.

As always, vote freely and discuss in the comments!

Update: After deliberation and clarification, a companion poll to this topic has been made, which you can find here:

1. Have you encountered a public server takeover situation before?

YES.

2. Do you think public server takeovers are fair usages of the Klei Public Servers?

NO, Just because Klei let you do whatever you want in their servers doesn't mean you should harass other people or not let other people play.

3. Do you think public server takeovers are fair gameplay styles?

NO, If you think trap portal/touchstone + AFK script + abuse votekick is fair then don't be upset when there is new group do exactly same thing back to you.

4. Has the new "Griefer Spawn Protection" feature decreased public server takeovers?

NO, They can't kill you at portal anymore but they can still kick you.

5. Do you want DST developers to take further steps to halt the spread of public server takeovers?

YES, Please.

2 hours ago, GetNerfedOn said:

- applying scripts to check if someone so much as equips a torch to prevent griefing

Wait why you put this line in this anyway? prevent people griefing your current base and take over server are two different story. I wouldnt want people to burn my base even if i dont take over the server.

Also i have a question about a server got regen recently, rabbit trap, as far as i know, other than torch script that lots of public players use, they dont spawn trap portal, in fact, when i visited, i saw 2 portal base so new player can live. For everyone always on to vote, i think not also, sometimes i only see 1~3 players playing in server.

What do you category this server's players?

My point during those agrument are, keeping a server while making it harder for new player to join, is bad. But keeping a server but you are free to join and still have enough needed resources to explore the world is good, no matter the day count. 10 days, or 1000 days, they remain the same. If you join a 10 days server and they dug all grass and twigs in all nearby biome, it is bad.

Day count does not matter, how surviveable for a new player when they first join in is what matter.

34 minutes ago, Tranoze said:

Wait why you put this line in this anyway? prevent people griefing your current base and take over server are two different story. I wouldnt want people to burn my base even if i dont take over the server.

I don't personally care what implications that has, whether that's a good thing or not, for whatever purpose you wish to construe, it's one thing you guys do when you control a server.

Just now, GetNerfedOn said:

I don't personally care what implications that has, whether that's a good thing or not, it's one thing you guys do when you control a server, period.

Can you make pool for each of them? they dont category the same. There are lots of server last long without afk script. Just saying they are good or bad wont solve anything.

- Prolong server while afk 24/24 is bad. (i did it, and i agree it bad myself.)
- Prolong server with people in different time zone during time.
- Kick people in ban list (Kinda want public opinion, i have quite mixed feeling)
- Kick people that want to regen the world.
- Check if people equip torch hammer.
- Call up friend to have enough vote.
- Use your different account on the same time to have enough vote.
- Spawn trapping, or remove resource around spawn area (bad)

Instead of making them the same, each action on public server have different meaning, and we can know which is good and which is bad in people opinion.

Instead of saying A do b/c/d together is good or bad, you should know each b/c or d is good or bad themself.

8 minutes ago, GetNerfedOn said:

I don't personally care what implications that has, whether that's a good thing or not, it's one thing you guys do when you control a server, period.

Not everyone take over server the same method. What you saying is just like "Oh all parent is bad" because some of them beat their kid.
Not all parenting are the same.

well i have seen server take overs where everyone forced you to play as the same character and if not your gettin removed funny is it was a puplic server and wes got taken over but later on the same server not even resetet it got taken over by webbers and sometimes i take over the world as wurt more like make more swamp while my base is hidden from everyone else

This is such a fine line. I agree with them on such a small margin. I agree that some people will join just to sabotage weeks worth of work because

"hehe funny"

I think that's horrible. So I understand why they take such actions. But such actions are quite rude. 

It's the whole thing like a dog getting abused it's entire life by humans. It's going to be inclined to bite back at humans who get near it no matter how nice or not. We may see the dog as a nasty retaliating creature, but it's doing what it thinks is best. 

Sadly there is such a fine line like I said. I don't agree with the takeovers but I understand. 

Basically all I got to say......

Sincerely,

Cactus

There's two types of public takeovers though, one definition is (1) prolonging the server, and the other is about (2) taking over to grief and regen the server.

I'm guessing you're asking about the former more than the latter, about a takeover to prolong the server?

My thinking, from what I've read, is that griefer spawn protection now negates a lot of the negative side effects of prolonging a server with scripts. Players are now (more) able to survive after spawning from the portal, they can no longer be walled in or cheesed with traps or whatever is used to prevent them from playing and enjoying the world.

However, a public takeover to grief and regen is not the same and is not affected by griefer spawn protection, and this is the takeover that I'm more worried about. Edit: Because I have actually encountered this one.

On 4/20/2021 at 8:24 AM, GetNerfedOn said:

the sample size is yet far too small. too soon to make a judgment.

Even if the sample size is adequete, isn't there inherent bias present on any forum poll regardless seeing as most forum users seek out the forums themselves classifying them as hardcore players/fans of the game. The people who would be most affected by any of these changes are the casual players who make up the bulk of the player base, are more likely to appear in pubs, and never visit these forums. 

Public server takover is a selfish act. Running a server costs money, and if you take over an 8-slot server with your 3 friends for who knows how long, you are taking that money and burning it.

Public means, everyone is allowed to access.

People who take over a public server do it, because:
a) Are poor to afford their own dedicated server,
b) lack the expertise / are lazy to learn how to do it,
c) or are griefers and enjoy it

The only understandable option - option a) could be compared to a homeless person who can't afford to buy food going into homeless shelter and taking over all the food they have, not leaving any food for other homeless people. Analogy aside, how can people think that's justifiable behaviour?

11 hours ago, RoughCactus69 said:

This is such a fine line.

I disagree. It's not fine line, people shouldn't be selfish. Unless "reserving" a server was the intended system. Which it isn't.

1 hour ago, Cheggf said:

People voting that it's fair are the ones who do it. :cool2:

Not neccessarily. But the ones who do it definitely vote that it's fair.

I understand the motivation - i don't want to lose my progress in pubs either. But, until there is an option similar to minecraft realms, it's definitely not fair to take over servers.

Can't think of any better solution than VPS. (Basically reserving your DST world and paying few bucks for a month of access).

There is nothing wrong about playing in Klei official server for long period of time as long as you don't harass other people and mind your own business.

From my observation over 3years I can firmly say that ALL of  those people who kept high daycount world in Klei official servers did atleast one of these things.

- Trapping portal/touchstone.

- AFK with script and make server lag

- Exploit bug that make server lag (blowdart glommer)

- Rollback over trivial thing. (Deerclop destroyed 1 chest and a tree? ROLLBACK!!!)

- Blame newcomers whenever something bad happens. (Oh no, Who took all xxx item from chests? That new dude must be a griefer. KICK!!!)

- Kick people based on character choice. (xxx is useless! xxx is griefer! KICK!!!)

- Kick people with unofficial banlist. (I don't even know if he is actually a griefer or not but I don't like him I will put him in the list anyway. xD)

- Kick other people because their friend want to join

- Forced Labour. Bossing people around. (The moment you joined this world you are my slave now. Do what I say or I KICK!!!)

Question, why not just play on unofficial group servers that have active admins and ban griefers? If it’s become such a frustration for people than why stay on the public servers? I see these posts a lot where people call for Klei to make a bunch of changes when they could just move to dedicated servers by groups with active moderation.

1 hour ago, X-lem said:

Question, why not just play on unofficial group servers that have active admins and ban griefers? If it’s become such a frustration for people than why stay on the public servers? I see these posts a lot where people call for Klei to make a bunch of changes when they could just move to dedicated servers by groups with active moderation.

Because...

Only the weakling play private server which you can just c_godmode() and c_give() whatever problem come up with.

If you want to show off everyone that you are a "Pro" or "Hardcore Player" you have to play in Klei official server only. :wilson_laugh:

1 hour ago, X-lem said:

Few reasons:

I for example want to play on:
vanilla dedicated server with caves enabled and good ping
...which leaves about 10 - 20 choices, ~3 of wich are Klei servers

I would also like to not play alone, which is pretty likely unless I am joining an empty server on day 1 - 10 or it's Klei official.
...which leaves much fewer options.

I usually opt for non-Klei server, because Klei servers are often full and I also prefer starting in first Autumn.
...but these servers are often unmoderated as well, and sometimes can be target for takeovers just as well.

image.thumb.png.80253eaec49676cb0912e53caf8d36c1.png

There are more than half of people here never see how "holding server hostage" looks like

Allow me to show you 

This is what happened in that 10k Catcoon Den Klei official server. (check the spoiler)

Spoiler

image.png.1919b6c45a7e9fc6e159a299aba4df17.png image.png.c4eaa190fa7930c152e64886a5931a5a.png

Blocking portal

image.png.0bc749333a52978cb07872f279703ce7.png

Newcomers died because of the maze

image.png.a6e8b8de8f148fc6e686ca11e98c3ca6.png

Planned to put Slurper at portal to kill if newcomers try to destroy wall

"This server for PRO only, our PRO friends want to join you get outta here!"

also held hostage at Rabbit Trap

"Our AFK script did prevent ghost reset YAY!"

"The response is good so far. No one knows we afk xd"

If you want to see more you can go check at 

10000 Days New World Record on Klei Official Public Server ~ Don't Starve Together ~ March 2020 - YouTube

Don't Starve Together ~ Casual Stream ~ Ocean Fishing Journey - YouTube

(Check before they delete all of this. xD)

And now ask yourself

"Is it really okay to let something like this happen again in the future?"

Joining a server with any large day count makes for an easy game since most of the content will have been defeated and done already.

I can see why the people who contributed many real-time days spent on the server not wanting some new joiner coming in and demanding the world be reset because they would like to play fresh.  There are plenty of other servers online for that and plenty of filtering options to get the desired experience.

image.png.55d4b624ff6d3249e77a98e7544a28b2.png
Cant agree with myself more, cuz i dont remember see any forum player in klei public name list.

5 hours ago, Xenna said:

Hide contents

(Check before they delete all of this. xD)

"Is it really okay to let something like this happen again in the future?"

Thank for posting those video, that bring back memories.
If you really watch videos instead of reading xenna comment, it just casual players chat and play game in public.

Archived