Why Wx could be the best refreshed character

Hello my dear DST community! How are you guys doing? 

Well, for some time now, i have been thinking about which character is going to receive the next refresh (and I am sure I'm not the only one). In light of the new RoT beta content, I think that Wx is a good candidate. (Who do you guys think deserves to be the next?) 

With that in mind, I started to think what could be done to Wx in order to make him for unique and fit DST more. I love every character in this game, all of them have their personality, their perks and weaknesses that together allow each one of them to provide an unique gameplay.

However, in my opinion, Wx could be so much more. The idea of him being a robot and upgrading himself is so incredible! Imagine being able to use gears to build a stronger leg (walk faster) or stronger arm (more damage), upgrade his eyes to see better or in the dark, his skin for armor or health. The upgrade mechanic has so much to offer! And he could use both gears and Frazzled wires to this upgrades! Maybe klei could limit the number of upgrades to 1 or 2, and that would allow us to come up with our own favorite (combination of) upgrades. 

What do you guys think about this? Why do you (not) like? Do you have any other ideas that could make Wx more interesting? 

Thank you for your attention and excuse me for any grammar mistakes :)

Reminder that WX-78 is referred to with they/them pronouns.

I've heard the idea before of WX being able to go down specific upgrade paths rather than just eating gears and getting extra stats, and I've always liked it a lot! It could be cool if those upgrades were split into active and passive categories, so you could for example have passive waterproofing and passive defense, but then an active spin ability that would be activated like soul hopping or Wheeler dodging. Either way I think seeing different combinations of upgrades that different people settle on would be really cool!

well first of all if wx is to be next i feel like a bunch of people ( people that scream webber alot) would not like to see you

but well your ideas are well it is just again it just is "give me all your things for my own benefit and you get nothing in return"

well my idea? well some sort of machine that actualy helps the others too in some way or another like a small handy machine that collects stuff like grass or sticks that way he helps the team in some sort of a better way then stealing all the gears in the world

here i draw something on how it somewhat looks

image.thumb.png.2aa3c15306871a6c9cfb01bcd88eadb6.png

it pick up grass puts it in his box and then later gives it to who ever is close

I don't think he should upgrade with gears at all, and it should only be frazzled wires. In a private server it doesn't really matter too much whether it's gears, frazzled wires, or both, but it taking gears causes issues in public servers. In public servers a single WX can easily eat all of the team's gears if no-one's gone to the ruins, but if someone's gone to the ruins he probably won't eat all of them and will leave enough for what people want.

But if WX gets reworked, we're not talking about one WX. We're talking about everyone being WX. Every server will have tons of WX players for who knows how long, and then even once the hype dies down his pickrate will still probably be considerably higher than it is right now. If the upgrade material is frazzled wires then there's no harm in them eating as many as they want because gold is very replacable, but gears make flingos, fridges, weather pains, and insulated packs, four very useful things.

3 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

I don't think he should upgrade with gears at all, and it should only be frazzled wires. In a private server it doesn't really matter too much whether it's gears, frazzled wires, or both, but it taking gears causes issues in public servers. In public servers a single WX can easily eat all of the team's gears if no-one's gone to the ruins, but if someone's gone to the ruins he probably won't eat all of them and will leave enough for what people want.

But if WX gets reworked, we're not talking about one WX. We're talking about everyone being WX. Every server will have tons of WX players for who knows how long, and then even once the hype dies down his pickrate will still probably be considerably higher than it is right now. If the upgrade material is frazzled wires then there's no harm in them eating as many as they want because gold is very replacable, but gears make flingos, fridges, weather pains, and insulated packs, four very useful things.

True but gears go hand in hand with wx to me. As long as he only needs a handful of gears to fully upgrade then I think it should be fine. The problem is currently he needs 15 gears to fully upgrade. Maybe he could have an upgrade station he needs to build with gears, and then the upgrades themselves use different materials like wires .

1 hour ago, sudoku said:

I don't see this for wx but this drawing is amazing .

well the idea came from that wx has "feelings" for machines and thats why because others alredy made there own machines in some way or another if its a cookpot or a catapult or just the alchemy engine so he wanted a friend of his own so he created a helpfull colector so his empty heart (i mean he has a ghost so he sould have a heard somehow) is a bit full

Modules with varying degrees of utility is a fan favorite amongst Wx-78 fans, and I agree.

My hopes are that Wx-78 can redirect their internal power supply and thus can generate different variations of overcharged. As of now when they are overcharged their energy is dispersed among 3 separate functions that are heat, light, and speed. Rerouting power would only cost a single gear and be accessible in their crafting tab. Allowing them to change "gears" on the fly and a power meter to gauge how much time is left in overcharged.

All power rerouted to internal combustion engine (No speed, No light)- This makes Wx-78 immune to rain and provides other players a heat source. They can also cook within themselves and consuming coal can extend the duration. Switching forms causes them to lose all charge.

All power rerouted to electrical processors (No heat, No light)- Better overcharged retention. Also they can transform some kinetic energy to power, which basically just means they lose less power while fighting/working. Switching forms causes them to lose all charge.

All power rerouted to optics (No heat, No speed)- Apart from the small light radius around them, thier eyes become two beams of light. The light is a cone shaped and reaches to the end of the screen. During this state Wx-78 does not lose sanity due to it being night nor dawn and the do not lose charge during the day aboveground. Switching forms causes them to lose all charge.

Normal- Just normal Wx-78.

I'd also love for them to create a battery than can be charged by lightning strikes. Maybe by connecting it to a lightning rod. 

Edit: After reading some suggestions maybe electrical doodas would be a better fit for rewiring. 

38 minutes ago, Lumberlocke said:

I'd personally want Webber first, but WX next for sure. I'd love to see their animated short, potentially featuring recollections from being created. :eek-new:

i would like webber too but idk how they would do it. i would love it if they diverged from the spiders like a forum post i saw had a good idea saying they should focus on ranching abilities since it is hinted he lived on a farm other than that idk how they would do it

I hope to see Wx's lore fleshed out (or would it be ironed out?) like other characters, unless you are woodie... that said, I do have to wonder if klei is ready to reveal Wx's background as it is likely to be very closely involved with Wagstaff, effectively having to explain both Wx and Wagstaff in the same short. With the genius inventor showing up recently, it could be really interesting to see, It just seems like a lot of lore to release in such a short span of time. I want to see Wx's rework sooner than most, seeing as how my own name for years on different platforms was taken from my dst habits and the release of the guest of honor skin for Wx. That Agitated robot was my main for most of my years playing the game up until the release of warly for dst, I just hope they can make them a more compelling character out side of shoving old food and gears in their face, bonus stats are nice but I can see so much more potential for a character like this. I just hope for the best when it comes to the "walking talking lighting rod", the "Professional gear-gobbler", the "Probably just a tad bit evil" Wx-78. 

I don't see an issue with

18 hours ago, Cheggf said:

WX is my favorite character so far. Partly because they promote an advanced playstile by venturing ruins early on to upgrade quickly. I think there are plenty of characters that are accessible for beginners already and I would be slightly bummed if they made WX another one instead of retaining the payoff that the character provides now!

15 gears is not that much to fully upgrade IMO and you usually end up with plenty of additional gears if you get into the ruins, which WX is very good at since they can sustain themselves easily while upgrading. Wires are plenty down there too, so I wouldn't mind either way I guess.

But I also generally don't play on public servers as they have plenty of problems in my experience.

1 hour ago, clickrush said:

I don't see an issue with

WX is my favorite character so far. Partly because they promote an advanced playstile by venturing ruins early on to upgrade quickly. I think there are plenty of characters that are accessible for beginners already and I would be slightly bummed if they made WX another one instead of retaining the payoff that the character provides now!

15 gears is not that much to fully upgrade IMO and you usually end up with plenty of additional gears if you get into the ruins, which WX is very good at since they can sustain themselves easily while upgrading. Wires are plenty down there too, so I wouldn't mind either way I guess.

But I also generally don't play on public servers as they have plenty of problems in my experience.

Gears are literally more accessible to new players than frazzled wires. Him requiring you to go into the ruins instead of kill surface clockworks is the opposite of beginner friendly. Tumbleweeds are even twice as likely to drop gears as they are frazzled wires, so someone scared to go to the ruins going for tumbleweeds instead would still have an easier time with gears instead of wires.

Also, WX is one of the most beginner friendly characters in the game. 400 max health, a small food bonus, and no real downsides are all things that benefit beginners a lot and advanced players not so much. The only thing he really has for advanced players is a speed boost that's dumb to maintain and just a worse version of Wormwood's at this point.

What I would LOVE is a ton of lore related to both them and Wagstaff in an almost William carter like puzzle. Something to let the fans dig deep into to find little chunks of the story, because wagstaff seems to be pretty important for the story...

1 hour ago, Cheggf said:

Gears are literally more accessible to new players than frazzled wires. Him requiring you to go into the ruins instead of kill surface clockworks is the opposite of beginner friendly. Tumbleweeds are even twice as likely to drop gears as they are frazzled wires, so someone scared to go to the ruins going for tumbleweeds instead would still have an easier time with gears instead of wires.

Also, WX is one of the most beginner friendly characters in the game. 400 max health, a small food bonus, and no real downsides are all things that benefit beginners a lot and advanced players not so much. The only thing he really has for advanced players is a speed boost that's dumb to maintain and just a worse version of Wormwood's at this point.

Idk about that, getting to those max values requires you to do pretty dangerous stuff I wouldn't recommend to a beginner. I'm not up to date with the changes and new characters so I can't comment on Wormwood though. My suspicion is that the comparison is not quite right because you mentioned System Overload being dumb to maintain, which I don't think is the case at all.

But the point about wires is granted. Wouldn't affect how you play the character optimally anyways while forcing new players to not waste surface gears. Also I wouldn't mind if the upgrades were something more complex than raw stat boosts, although I have to say the boosts as they are now are non-trivial in terms of the freedom they give you in combination with System Overload.

13 minutes ago, clickrush said:

getting to those max values requires you to do pretty dangerous stuff

And after that the emotion is killed

Rather prefer that perk removed for something funnier and useful for his self and for the team. Hand tools upgrades made by wires and gears and a way to overcharge outside of wicker's book or telelocator focus (which with the new grotto isnt that expensive like before now that i think about it)

15 minutes ago, clickrush said:

Idk about that, getting to those max values requires you to do pretty dangerous stuff I wouldn't recommend to a beginner.

No it doesn't, you can just kill the surface clockworks and max out. They can be killed by doing no more than holding F while wearing a log suit.

16 minutes ago, clickrush said:

I'm not up to date with the changes and new characters so I can't comment on Wormwood though. My suspicion is that the comparison is not quite right because you mentioned System Overload being dumb to maintain, which I don't think is the case at all.

So tell me how you maintain it in a not dumb way.

2 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

No it doesn't, you can just kill the surface clockworks and max out. They can be killed by doing no more than holding F while wearing a log suit.

So tell me how you maintain it in a not dumb way.

I feel like you're not arguing in good faith here :)

2 minutes ago, clickrush said:

I feel like you're not arguing in good faith here :)

If anyone's not arguing in good faith it's the guy that's ignoring simple questions by attacking the other's character instead.

I would very surprised if WX & Webber aren't the last two reworks.

I'm also aboard the concept of making WX somewhat modular to be 'built'... no-geared toward specific playstyles. Having them be an on-the-fly 'fill' role would be pretty fun imo.

I hope this will let them add new synergies with characters and not breakdown their current one/s too much.

2 hours ago, Cheggf said:

If anyone's not arguing in good faith it's the guy that's ignoring simple questions by attacking the other's character instead.

Please excuse my previous comment!

I simply don't find activating System Overload "dumb". I think it might be the best buff in the game. Are there contenders to consider? It lasts long, is extremely useful and versatile, very accessible through Wickerbottom and reasonably accessible otherwise.

As for gathering surface clockworks: The game must have changed considerably changed but as far as I remember you wouldn't find enough clockwork monsters to fully upgrade your WX *and* have enough spare gears for all the things people generally want to build. In fact I think I remember runs where there weren't even enough to go around for just upgrades.

But even then, beginners die from spiders and simply forgetting to eat and similar, so I wouldn't even consider surface clockworks beginner friendly, even though that is considerably less involved than spelunking.

Archived