When Don't Starve Together Die

Please read my reply before you leave 

imagine Klei just stop updating DST for 3 years on one platform, came back to update the game with some bug fix (which they didn't even fix all the most popular bug), then disappear for the next 2 years while adding a QoL update for the other platform. During that time, the forum of the game is dead and the dev doesn't even respond to bug report from the player 

after 2 years, they pop up again, turn that QoL update from back then into a separate game that you have to rent for it while the orginal version stays dead 

and that version has bug that the dev won't respond to too

ok, so you may or may not realize what am I talking about due to the specific things I mentioned above 
yes, this more about DS pocket edition than DST, sorry for the clickbait title but this needs attention because the forum for DSPE is DEAD.
The last time when I made this kind of topic, it got some attention before being moved to the dead forum know as the Don't Starve forum 
so this time, my main point will be in the comment section 
I can rant about the bugs, the performance all day but NO, this even worse IMO.
So a couple of days ago, after 2 years since a small bug fix
Finally, DSPE receives an update
(When I talk about DSPE, I mean the IOS version because apparently, Android doesn't exist)
It is a nice update, add the latest QoL feature (beefalo taming, fence,...)  from the current version of DS on steam... except IT'S NOT AN UPDATE
IT IS A "NEW" GAME THAT YOU HAVE TO BU-... RENT!

1) Why is it a "new" game?  what makes this "QoL updates" soooo special that it has to be a separate version? It would be fine if this version also includes SW so player can use the seaworthy, but nope, this is the same old Pocket edition that has beefalo taming ._. 
2) Why apple arcade? not only you don't update the game we PAY for, you not allow us to OWN the "new" one?
for people who don't know, Apple Arcade is a game subscription service that offers unlimited access to the game in it, yes it's can be cheap but it's a subscription, and subscription will add up over time and you don't own anything, you were renting it 
3) Android player exist ya know? As far as I know, mobile game on Apple Arcade is exclusive to IOS 
so basically, not only Klei gives ios user a middle finger when they decide to make the update into a separate version that they can't own, they give android user a bigger middle finger for wanting an update.

I have been in love with Klei and their game for almost 8 years now, I didn't think one day I would say this to their game but I have to say it:

THIS IS A CASH GRAB,  IF YOU ARE OR KNOW ANY IOS USER, DO NOT SUPPORT THIS GAME, DO NOT SUPPORT THIS BEHAVIOR!!!

5 minutes ago, DaZoul said:

I don't understand what this thread is supposed to be about

sorry for the clickbait title, you can read my explanation  above 

A new day, a new tidbit of information: had no clue there was a Don't Starve "Pocket Edition". I reckon is a.. "shorter" DS, whatever that may mean?! From your post I get is specifically for Mac systems, iOS or the like? Then all is simple and boils down to numbers: how many people play using iOS and how much that justifies KLei investment (additional DLC, QoL, bug-fixes) in relation to monetary payoff? If answer is "too little-to-none" then you got your answer why iOS game version is basically a "whatever" issue.

PS: "Apple Arcade is a game subscription service" - "Apple Arcade is exclusive to IOS"; don't think KLei "gives ios user a middle finger", I believe Apple gives that middle finger to.. its Apple users. Why use Apple anyway?!

4 minutes ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

From your post I get is specifically for Mac systems, iOS or the like? 

well, I said "IOS" (formerly iPhone OS) a mobile operating system, not Mac

9 minutes ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

Then all is simple and boils down to numbers: how many people play using iOS and how much that justifies KLei investment (additional DLC, QoL, bug-fixes) in relation to monetary payoff?

they could handle this a lot better

1) remove it from the appstore if they don't have the money to continue Investing to the game, there are people who don't know and still buy this game even though it fill with game breaking bug that the dev doesn't care to fix

2) continue abandon the mobile platform, they already did that before

17 minutes ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

If answer is "too little-to-none" then you got your answer why iOS game version is basically a "whatever" issue.

so if your product  didn't sell well

it í ok for you to continue taking the other money for your broken product? because in your eyes, those people doesn't matter? 

21 minutes ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

PS: "Apple Arcade is a game subscription service" - "Apple Arcade is exclusive to IOS"; don't think KLei "gives ios user a middle finger", I believe Apple gives that middle finger to..

I mean the people who bought the original pocket edtion on IOS 

22 minutes ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

its Apple users. Why use Apple anyway?!

just... wow

2 hours ago, MikoFanboy said:

...I love Apple mobile service..

Remember when Apple made a fuss over 3rd parties/firms being able to repair their products at low costs/affordable sums for consumers that don't want each year to buy the "brand new i$hit", but were pretty much forced into doing so? Or how they made old iOS/aplications run slower on old devices (1-2 years old in relation to the "brand new i$hit" coming out), once more forcing the hands of clients into buying complete package of the "brand new i$hit"?! Maybe KLei doesn't want to do business with Apple anymore or deems too demanding continuing uploads on a faulty system/business practice? Who knows.

Again: why use Apple anyway?!

Spoiler

wow-just-wow-5ccc83.jpg

Even Klei knows they messed up this time.

Normally when pocket edition has any news (even small bug fix)

they alway promo it on their Facebook, Twitter,...

but with this DSPE+ on apple arcade, they stay silent 

as a consumer, a long time Klei supporter 
I will not allow this behavior and you shouldn't too

Today is Pocket Edtion, Who know what tomorrow is

44AA5BD5-213D-418F-9BFB-231A31709F91.thumb.png.f61b1594096ecf2198d2df9e013c4af1.png

2 minutes ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

Remember when Apple made a fuss over 3rd parties/firms being able to repair their products are low costs/affordable sums for consumers that don't want each year to buy the "brand new i$hit", but were pretty much forced into doing so? Or how they made old iOS/aplications run slower on old devices (1-2 years old in relation to the "brand new i$hit" coming out), once more forcing the hands of clients into buying complete package of the "brand new i$hit"?! Maybe KLei doesn't want to do business with Apple anymore or deems too demanding continuing uploads on a faulty system/business practice? Who knows.

Again: why use Apple anyway?!

Reveal hidden contents

wow-just-wow-5ccc83.jpg

Apple products suck, I get it

but that's not the point,

you can rant about how bad apple is all they, doesn't change they fact that millions mobile users are using ios

they a few of those will found out about the original, abandoned pocket edition, play it pass the refunds time, found a game breaking bug that they can't do anything 

if they are lucky, they will found out about the dead forums and report the bug just for it to be ignored by the dev 

also apparently, the DSPE+ on Apple Arcade isn't really better, the game is still crash from time to time, bug report still being ignored 

1 hour ago, MikoFanboy said:

...found a game breaking bug that they can't do anything 

...and report the bug just for it to be ignored by the dev 

... the game is still crash from time to time, bug report still being ignored 

Well, can't you pretty much make a case out of those points about.. all DS/T franchise?

Just take a look at DST's Bug Tracker - vast majority of those reports are "pending" for years now, without any type of approach, being neither closed, marked as known or whatever. I have friends that were diligently posting bugs there again-and-again to no avail.. till they quit, disillusioned. One of them, out of frustration, began to openly mock KLei via posts in General Section regarding bugs/exploits made wildly-known to public like that. Only then certain mentioned bugs were fixed "in silence", some in a lackluster way. By now we should probably accept such approach as a modus operandi. In the end KLei still is a small studio, now "owned" by Tencent (and you know the reputation of that one), thus make of it what you will. And yes, if Steam/WeGame DST would become a peripheral/niche game as revenue prevalence goes, in future, we could probably expect same outcome as your mentioned "DS: PE+". (Likewise don't forget: we don't actually own our Steam Platform games, we're just renting them of sorts. If Steam would go tomorrow bankrupt, we can kiss goodbye "our" game library there.)

Yes, you can certainly try and raise awareness over your perceived issue with "DS: PE+". But realistically...

From what I can gather: I several years ago I bought the mobile versions of DS and DS Shipwrecked on mobile for 4.99$ each (maybe less hell I honestly don’t remember.)

Since I paid such a cheap price for it and not a dime since then- I don’t really expect them to update the game with new Content.

For one: Mobile platform isn’t nowhere nearly as marketable as say: Releasing a new skin set for DST, and two.. The mobile gaming platform as a whole- especially IOS.. Get so many IOS Software updates that many of the games I used to play on mobile: Dead Rising, Resident Evil, Dead Space, Batman Arkham City Lockdown, Batman Dark Knight Rises...

They are completely pulled from the App Store altogether- Because the developers didn’t care to update them to newer IOS software. I paid good money for games I can’t even play anymore AT ALL & my take away from that is: Mobile gaming sucks and I should be more cautious in what I choose to buy/ support on mobile.

That said: Klei’s Recent Studio announcement where Tencent bought majority shares into their company means Klei (SHOULD) have more funds then they used to have before- which is why we see things like them taking time NOW to go back and polish up DS Single Player/ it’s DLC’s

This obviously takes away from time Klei could be doing more content in DST or newer Klei games like ONI but they’re doing it anyway because 1: They now have the funds and can afford to do so & 2: they want to make their customers happy.

If there’s ANYTHING I seriously would like to happen to DS:PE / DS:SW PE it’s adding Webber and Wigfrid into DS: SW PE.

Because the game is its own App: It does not include Reign of Giants content (Wigfrid/Webber) when honestly it probably should?

Other than that I’ve personally considered mobile gaming a lost cause & have abandoned the terribly bad platform altogether.

That doesn’t mean I wouldn’t buy DS: Hamlet PE if one were made available though, just means I won’t expect it to be updated & high quality or even continue to be available on mobile at all.

I don't understand what I read from the first post, and the intent of this thread lol.

Solution: If the pocket version is dead, it probably is. I would highly recommend switching over to DST, it's much more enjoyable. :wilson_love:

There are many apps on mobile which are no longer supported and/or no longer updated, and there's a date telling you when it was last updated, and reviews to help you out to determine if it's a good app.

4 minutes ago, Aeglefire said:

I don't understand what I read from the first post, and the intent of this thread lol.

Solution: If the pocket version is dead, it probably is. I would highly recommend switching over to DST, it's much more enjoyable. :wilson_love:

There are many apps on mobile which are no longer supported and/or no longer updated, and there's a date telling you when it was last updated, and reviews to help you out to determine if it's a good app.

I want to raise awareness about the DSPE+ cash grab to make sure people won't support it

the DST topic is there to keep this post in the DST general discussion (the most popular forums)

if I don't do that, the post will be moved to DS general discussion with is dead years ago

I will never understand the appeal of playing a game that was never designed for mobile in the first place but ported bc why not. 

I was hesitant enough of trying PvZ on mobile, and I can't imagine playing a game like DS on a phone or tablet. There's no way this game is enjoyable without a keyboard or a controler. 

I'm... Very torn on this. On one hand I understand they may have sold something with game breaking bugs that have been unresolved for years. On the other hand I don't want to discourage them from porting their other games like Oxygen not included to console.

The new port of hamlet was a complete disaster with a lot of people (me included) being unable to transition to other dlc without the game breaking completely. However, people begged and begged for hamlet to get ported for 2 years. Maybe its wishful thinking on Klei's part that they could port something over and everything will be fine, idk. 

I'm not saying that, "you get what you get and you don't throw a fit", but it seems you kinda have to expect a somewhat broken game with their ports (not that its right). At the very least they're taking another look at the console port... Maybe you can hold out hope for mobile? I know terraria took about 5 years to finally update mobile...

5 hours ago, BezKa said:

I was hesitant enough of trying PvZ on mobile

I quite enjoyed mobile PvZ (specifically zzZSunset version) and PvZ2 and still do to this day, however PvZ is way different from DS.

DS isn't a slow/fast paced tower defense, it is a survival game, and the current constraints of the port and phones in general forces players on the mobile port to face-tank enemies.

9 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

That said: Klei’s Recent Studio announcement where Tencent bought majority shares into their company means Klei (SHOULD) have more funds then they used to have before- which is why we see things like them taking time NOW to go back and polish up DS Single Player/ it’s DLC’s

Just so you know, they won’t have funds in a while if they’re making unprofitable investments. It’s not about the money you’ve got, but the money you’re making.

7 hours ago, HowlVoid said:

The new port of hamlet was a complete disaster with a lot of people (me included) being unable to transition to other dlc without the game breaking completely. However, people begged and begged for hamlet to get ported for 2 years. Maybe its wishful thinking on Klei's part that they could port something over and everything will be fine, idk. 

They knew about how broken it is in pc i dont get why they released it on console knowing it and less when they decided to dont fix it pc when they had planty of time before releasing it on consoles. I get that adding stuff to single player versions (like finishing hamlet) might be a waste of resources but they shouldnt sell a broken product and later dont cleaning it just because dst give more money.

They just did the same with the phone versions

Is dishonest and makes me fell unconfidence to buy their stuff

13 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

For one: Mobile platform isn’t nowhere nearly as marketable as say: Releasing a new skin set for DST, and two.. The mobile gaming platform as a whole- especially IOS.. Get so many IOS Software updates that many of the games I used to play on mobile: Dead Rising, Resident Evil, Dead Space, Batman Arkham City Lockdown, Batman Dark Knight Rises...

They are completely pulled from the App Store altogether- Because the developers didn’t care to update them to newer IOS software.

well, unlike those game, you can still spent your money to buy DSPE

so Klei still need to take responsibility for it
if they don't want to fix the game, then they should remove it from the app store

6 hours ago, __IvoCZE__ said:

I quite enjoyed mobile PvZ (specifically zzZSunset version) and PvZ2 and still do to this day, however PvZ is way different from DS.

ah, great game... before EA ruined it 

and PvZ2 kinda suck... it used to be ok but now it's just trash, filled with microtransactions

imo, Pvz1 >>> Pvz2, the only good thing about 2 is th artstyle

On 4/8/2021 at 3:18 PM, Maximum124 said:

that game is base on DS, use DS ip
but it is nothing like Don't starve Together

but it isn't a problem here :v
the problem i'm talking about is

Klei make a game

Abandon it when it's still buggy while ignoring any kind of bug report

(if they don't want to fix it then they should remove it from the store because there are peoples don't know about it being abandoned and buy it)

years later, they come back with an update but this time, the supposedly game update and bug fix is turing into a "new" game locked behind a subscription 

and that is in IOS user pov, Android can't even get the update because of the apple arcade exclusives

Archived