Why there's no "wounded" animation?

DST characters have its own animation when the characters are hungry or insane, but currently there's no specific animation when the characters are "wounded". For now there's no way to know others HP in vanilla servers until they told you their HP via chat. You have no idea other players are healthy as a horse or at death's door. It can potentially greatly improve the gameplay experience, letting the cooperative players to know other players' condition easily and help them while not spoil the game's atmosphere that much, especially for Wortox players (and possibly Wigfrid, since she has heartrending ballad).

Luckily I'm not the first one who thought about it, and there's even a mod about this - "Extra Animations" - on steam workshop. here's the link : https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=827934475&searchtext=animation

I sincerely hope the "wounded" animation added to the base game. It may not seems to be important, but it would be a massive QoL improvement for those who play Wortox, include myself.

I hope being wounded actually slows your movement and gathering speeds, like it does in some of the other games I’ve played- Dont starve calls itself uncompromising but... it seems to ditch that completely these days.

I want a mode that reinstates that claim- And Limping, slower movement animations when hurt would help do that.

16 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

I hope being wounded actually slows your movement and gathering speeds, like it does in some of the other games I’ve played- Dont starve calls itself uncompromising but... it seems to ditch that completely these days.

aaaand then you die 75 times instead of 5, because you're not able to kite anything anymore...

28 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

I want a mode that reinstates that claim- And Limping, slower movement animations when hurt would help do that.

Doing things slower when injured would just be annoying, it wouldn't even really make the game harder especially with how easy it is to heal. It'd just be annoying when you aren't fighting and force you to heal or retreat when fighting.

If you really want to have an annoying game just play with your feet while looking in a mirror or something.

21 minutes ago, Notecja said:

aaaand then you die 75 times instead of 5, because you're not able to kite anything anymore...

This is kinda the point- If say for example your a Wigfrid at 4hp your not going to go “life-leech” off the nearest Beefalo or Treeguards because you can’t just hit them 4-5 times, move out the way and repeat: 

Moving Slower when injured requires the player to think more strategically, to bring healing items ahead of time, and to avoid battle when healing isn’t an option.

Have you played State of Decay 2? Characters in the game get injured, they limp and they move slower while injured, and the closer they already are to deaths door, the more precautions they have to take.

You guys want these wounded animations to be purely cosmetic only or something?? Lol... that wouldn’t sit right by me AT ALL.

Of course: it would always ALWAYS be optional so if you prefer playing that way toggle it on, and if you don’t- leave it off 

6 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

This is kinda the point- If say for example your a Wigfrid at 4hp your not going to go “life-leech” off the nearest Beefalo or Treeguards because you can’t just hit them 4-5 times, move out the way and repeat: 

Moving Slower when injured requires the player to think more strategically, to bring healing items ahead of time, and to avoid battle when healing isn’t an option.

Have you played State of Decay 2? Characters in the game get injured, they limp and they move slower while injured, and the closer they already are to deaths door, the more precautions they have to take.

You guys want these wounded animations to be purely cosmetic only or something?? Lol... that wouldn’t sit right by me AT ALL.

Of course: it would always ALWAYS be optional so if you prefer playing that way toggle it on, and if you don’t- leave it off 

Moving slower when injured does the opposite of requiring the player to think strategically. Currently if you're out of healing items and close to death you can try to approximate how much health the enemy has and whether or not you can defeat it without getting hit 1 or 2 more times, enabling you to use your skill to take risks. If you moved slower when injured there would be no weighing the pros and cons of continuing the fight, you would just walk away from the fight since you're too slow to dodge attacks. No skill involved. No thinking involved. Just "Oh well, I can't dodge his attacks any more, time to leave".

3 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Snip

How are u not mad at the hungry animation or insane animation? Holding ur head with closed eyes should black out the screen then. 

And rumbly tummy should make you randomly stop bc you fell over from lightheadedness. 

OP stated the reason, and it's easier communication. When I see someone playing hungry animation I give them my berries before they write a message and start losing health. 

If I see insane animation I help weaken the shadow creatures so they can finish them with a hit or two for sanity. 

Having a health animation to know your friend could use a salve doesn't have to change the game completely.

2 minutes ago, BezKa said:

How are u not mad at the hungry animation or insane animation? Holding ur head with closed eyes should black out the screen then. 

And rumbly tummy should make you randomly stop bc you fell over from lightheadedness. 

OP stated the reason, and it's easier communication. When I see someone playing hungry animation I give them my berries before they write a message and start losing health. 

If I see insane animation I help weaken the shadow creatures so they can finish them with a hit or two for sanity. 

Having a health animation to know your friend could use a salve doesn't have to change the game completely.

Because this is being Wounded.. this is falling off your bike as a kid and getting a bunch of nasty rocks in your leg, bleeding & limping back into the house to get your parents to clean it up.

Hunger and Insanity are fine: but being injured needs to have more than just a silly animation that does nothing else.

At that point- We should just have health bars.

10 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

No, you just leave fight... in hopes ir doesn't kill you during trying to leave fight. Basically it may even stop you from leaving the fight and simply kill you. Many enemies are faster than player anyway, like hounds or merms. There no tactic, just suffering.

I like this idea. What kinda animation do people have in mind though?

Could have a similar one to Klaus where he falls to the floor as hes summoning Krami? 

Holding their arm in pain?

Panting in a similar way to overheating? 

Let me know! Share your thoughts. 

1 hour ago, W0l0l0 said:

I like this idea. What kinda animation do people have in mind though?

Could have a similar one to Klaus where he falls to the floor as hes summoning Krami? 

Holding their arm in pain?

Panting in a similar way to overheating? 

Let me know! Share your thoughts. 

Dropping to the floor and summoning wortox

Actually I have a better idea: and a throwback to the old days of gaming back in the 90’s.

when you press pause: you can see player icons, showing their heads and profile names: but what if.. like How Wendy can view health on Abigail, players saw a health gauge in the player head icon on pause/select screen? you can quickly toggle it back out so it won’t hinder gameplay.

And- even more awesome maybe the closer a players health gauge gets to depleted the more color their head icon loses (going to grim black and white looking colorless with like a little sad face replacing energetic colorful & happy)

I think in game animations are to easy to confuse with player emotes and Idle animations.

(Wigfrids bow has been mistaken as her being hungry a few times and I had random players trying to feed me when I had full hunger)

Ive also had people freak out thinking I ate the Mandrakes when using the Sleepy time Yawn emotes.

So Emotes & Idols make in game animations harder to separate: but an actual Health gauge similar to Abbys I can get behind.

5 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Idk how can you confuse a wave, dance, sit, whatever animation with the character shaking because he is cold (thing that have save my friends and i many times in the caves) or knowing that your friend is cracy because he holds his head and look arround like a paranoid

Health bars doesnt fit the game. With abi they made an exception because they are "linked" but it doesny fit how external information works. Having a "reskin" or a new animation for being wounded will not be confused because you see that the player doesnt make any noise and it is spamed every few seconds like the others mentioned

Imo is way better, fun and compensates paying attention having the idea of OP than a holding hand health bar which is just bland, flat and doesnt need that much in game knowledge to make it work

14 hours ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

just scratches and bruises. The more the character has more wounded it is

I very much like this idea also, a visual indication of how much a person is wounded, so we could finally enable using Honey Poultice and Healing Salve on player entity and not wasting the healing item, it seems kind of silly to be able to heal mob with item but not the players. If I can feed someone I should be able to heal someone too...

With all that said, an animation, although it would take some idle time to play, it’s probably the easier method to apply for an indication of wounded character, because the animation asset can be more easily reused.

Bruise and scratch the other hand, requires artist go through each and every head skin and add bruised version on all directions, not to mention if we want the cloth to look more tattered when wounded it would require additional asset of tattered cloth over all body skin...

I would be very glad to fund it if they ever decide to add bruise, scratch or/and tattered cloth when wounded though. That’s just pure enhancement for the game.

22 minutes ago, KeshS said:

That is a creative way of saying "I want to see players hp as Wortox".

Not the number but atleast know how much wounded they are since maybe the pierogi i fed my friend is a waste because he already heal by his self. And not only fof Wortox, is useful to know if someone needs to leave a fight or help finishing one

If i can know if someone is hungry, insane, has overheating or is cold why i cant know if he id about to die?

On 2/16/2021 at 4:54 PM, HeatAndRun said:

I sincerely hope the "wounded" animation added to the base game. It may not seems to be important, but it would be a massive QoL improvement for those who play Wortox, include myself.

I think it would be cool if there was some sort of item or structure that let players see each others health. Not specific health, but like whether it's cracked or really cracked or something. It doesn't even have to be Wortox related or exclusive.

Archived