Are you aware of the Chaos that occurred with the DST Discord?

Poll  

185 members have voted

1. 1. Are you aware of the Chaos that occurred with the DST Discord?

• Yes
    • No

Here is a super short version:

One of the owners was a ***** to several people (for example I know personally he claimed I was lying about having a panic attack because "it just didnt add up") as he had some sort of egotistical complex and the server ended up being deleted. I've been banned from it for a while so I don't know the full story and DO NOT join the DST Refuge (new server) and ask about it as they are trying to keep away from the drama and rebuild the server

31 minutes ago, JustCrimson said:

Here is a super short version:

One of the owners was a ***** to several people (for example I know personally he claimed I was lying about having a panic attack because "it just didnt add up") as he had some sort of egotistical complex and the server ended up being deleted. I've been banned from it for a while so I don't know the full story and DO NOT join the DST Refuge (new server) and ask about it as they are trying to keep away from the drama and rebuild the server

So that’s why the servers gone from my discord.

Thought I said something stupid and got myself banned, but I guess this makes sense.

EDIT: 

Looks like the owner was a toddler.

Just came to say that I appreciate you telling people not to join to ask about the drama that transpired. It really means alot and I'm surprised you would, given that you were banned and that'd understandably leave a sour taste in people's mouth normally. We do have channels to help explain what transpired and can give people our side of the story at least (can't talk for the owner's side, though we can say what was said to us if anything). Once the conversations about it are civil and aren't just for the sake of gossiping about drama, we're fine with it.

I don’t think discord’s have the dev team talking and interacting with people there I mean I’m not sure since I don’t even use Discord- but these forums seem to be a much friendlier place.

Devs are always participating in something here.. always leaving comments here and there (we even got official ShopCat Lore in the Maxwell Memes thread!) 

Plus: Joe & the moderators do an excellent job of keeping things from going too far out of hand locking threads when the OP of that thread posts rude stuff.

Its (mostly) peaceful here, I say mostly cause sometimes things do spiral into chaos but for the most part everyone’s chill.

If people get banned for causing too much drama on that discord I’m never joining there, everyone that knows me knows I’m nothing but drama :lol:

Anyways: Carry on the conversation I have nothing much left to contribute here.

I was banned for "Asking questions in bad faith"

One of the most rampant issues within the don't starve community is misinformation being spread. I don't remember what, but I asked a question about a certain mechanic and asked for some sort of confirmation. One of the nitro boosters unleashed on me and in return, I may have responded very sarcastically. 

It would perhaps make sense if I were banned for bad behavior and I would have appealed for that, but "asking questions in bad faith?"

That has no meaning. Addressing an issue in people going on record about blatant lies about the game's mechanics and defending your incorrect stance as doctrine is ridiculous enough to dispute.

Apparently it's unacceptable in the server to ask a question and request evidence of truth.

I've seen these things happen quite frequently in many communities to the point where I'd wager it'd be inevitable given enough time.

Games have that neat feature of being almost universally enjoyable from all walks of life, and with that comes all of the vastly different backgrounds of people and beliefs.  Then you have to factor in the moderation team's ability, time, and choices made for dealing with conflicts as well as the server population size.  Such a hairball mess that potentially can grow to.

2 hours ago, Scypham said:

We do have channels to help explain what transpired and are okay with at least giving people our side of the story. Once the conversations about it are civil and aren't just for the sake of gossiping about drama, we're fine with it.

I'll assume you meant that you're fine having your side's position out and in the open for anyone to inspect over since you're able to provide it while not being able to provide the other side due to potential biases on your side's part.

However if you meant that you will allow only your side of the story being there, then I will provide to you some word of caution on embarking on the road of censorship.  I find it tends to either cause more division which causes more destruction later on as silent grievances pile up, or deterioration from a stagnant echo chamber.  I have no stake in this; I don't know what transpired nor am I here to judge.  Most of my posts here on this forum are to help people regardless of background.

I love the contradiction of haven like around 30 rules and then saying: "We want to make this a fun, and relaxing pace for users to talk, contribute, and engage with the Dont Starve community. "  

Always needing to walk on eggshells or be banned in a matter of probably days isn't very "relaxing"...

I feel like I should probably clarify a few things about that discord:

1. That discord, in no way, was a "official" DST discord. It was simply a discord that had the largest amount of users before it got closed (around 23,800). While it did have a few of the devs in it, it was not strictly run by them.

2. The rules list in the old server (and the new one, I guess) were not anymore difficult to understand then the Community Guidelines on the forums. If you could make a post without Joe giving you the stink eye, you were probably fine on the discord. If you did feel like you were banned in a way that felt unfair, there's always the opportunity to request an appeal to be unbanned. I've seen multiple people successfully appeal during the few years I was in the discord, so I can say it's process was relatively lenient on forgiving mistakes.

I'm not going to say the discord was perfect in any way. There's a lot of things that gripe me the wrong way on it, and I'm not going to deny that. It won't be for everyone, and that's okay. There's plenty of other smaller DS/T oriented discords that I've joined that I enjoy a lot more, and I know many people have had similar results. The unofficial discord just held a special place for both being the largest server and one of the few that got me attached to the community.

7 hours ago, CarlZalph said:

I'll assume you meant that you're fine having your side's position out and in the open for anyone to inspect over since you're able to provide it while not being able to provide the other side due to potential biases on your side's part.

I did mean we'll be able to provide our side of the story while not being able to provide the other due to biases yeah. I might want to reword my statement for the sake of clarification, thanks for bringing that to my attention. 

15 hours ago, Pinkamena11FazP said:

I was told off to keep my problems to myself and try to "not cause unnecessary drama." during a really stressful time in my life, making me leave and not feel welcomed. 

Same and it frustrated me to the point I ended up getting myself banned, i feel like even the staff aren't exactly sure what to do and they are stressed out too and don't wanna keep going over it, although there is like one mod in particular who gave me particularly botty responses and also made me feel like they didn't give a ****, just take it with a grain of salt I guess because iirc they were especially ****** by Mulk and have people claiming they were payed or they were bad mods or whatever

7 hours ago, Maxil20 said:

1. That discord, in no way, was a "official" DST discord. It was simply a discord that had the largest amount of users before it got closed (around 23,800). While it did have a few of the devs in it, it was not strictly run by them.

it was partnered and had the the discord.gg/dontstarve link so it was as official as it could be

17 hours ago, Pinkamena11FazP said:

I just wished it was better, the place felt unwelcoming and just not safe. I'm glad I left before this drama.

It'll probably be fine when there isnt that tension, from what I've seen it doesn't look like its going to be as bad as the original (aside from the mod who banned me because he seemed pretty annoying)

Archived