[Game Update] - 450741

• Developer

Bug Fixes:

• The contests posts won’t get stuck waiting to be marked if the event is aborted now
  • Adjust new Victorian wall skins textures so they are less tilted.
  • Fixed a texture bug with the Lovely Chest.

Gameplay Change:

• Contestant Beefalo won’t fight their trainers when in heat now.

View full update

• Like 19
  • Thanks 7
  • Haha 1
  • GL Happy 2

Hello, not sure if you're aware or fixed it already in this patch but there's a bug that prevents you from seeing the characters of the players in a server before entering the constant; everyone appears like they are picking characters until you join the server. Does anyone else face the same issue?

• Like 5

please reconsider the running away behavior of bonded beefalo when you unmount with the bell in your inventory. A mount shouldnt ever run away from you.. nobody liked this behavior in Woby so i dont understand why it got added to beefalo. 

• Like 7

• Developer
15 minutes ago, SinancoTheBest said:

Hello, not sure if you're aware or fixed it already in this patch but there's a bug that prevents you from seeing the characters of the players in a server before entering the constant; everyone appears like they are picking characters until you join the server. Does anyone else face the same issue?

Looking into it. Thanks for the report.

• Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, Ohan said:

please reconsider the running away behavior of bonded beefalo when you unmount with the bell in your inventory. A mount shouldnt ever run away from you.. nobody liked this behavior in Woby so i dont understand why it got added to beefalo. 

Yeah agreed. There's a LOT more situations where I want my beefalo close when I dismount than when I want them to run away.

• Like 7
  • Big Ups 1

8 minutes ago, Ohan said:

I’m taking it you’ve never played Red Dead Redemption 2..

Mounts DO Run away from you and quite often.. especially if there’s something near it that frightens it..

it’s realistic, (annoying) but Realistic.. and I’ve got some hilarious saved clips of my unruly evil horse in RDO that I otherwise wouldn’t have if it didn’t just buck you off when too close to something it doesn’t like.

I think DST shouldn’t over simplify that either.. a Mount that doesn’t flee from danger, or move away from you doesn’t feel like a realistic animal.. and while annoying to deal with: These kinda do.

I love the new customization options on them and I pray Klei leaves those in after the event is over.

in fact I’m just gonna ask that now.

@PeterA do you know if the customizable Beefalo’s are going to remain even after the Chinese event ends? Or is this just something tied exclusively to the limited time mode? 

• Like 1

*sigh* I still have the same problem I've had on the last update, my log says steam failed to initialize even though, I started it through steam, I've restarted my computer, restarted steam, verified files, twice, and cleared my download cache. I'd really rather not have to re-install.

Here's my log again:

Spoiler

[00:00:00]: 
System Memory:
    Memory Load: 44%
    Available Physical Memory: 9032m/16255m
    Available Page File: 8509m/18687m
    Available Virtual Memory: 3961m/4095m
    Available Extended Virtual Memory: 0m
[00:00:00]: 
Process Memory:
    Peak Working Set Size: 31m
    Working Set Size: 31m
    Quota Peak Page Pool Usage: 238k
    Quota Page Pool Usage: 236k
    Quota Peak Non Paged Pool Usage:21k
    Quota Non Paged Pool Usage: 20k
    Page File Usage: 6m
    Peak Page File Usage: 6m
[00:00:00]: PersistRootStorage is now APP:Klei//DoNotStarveTogether/ 
[00:00:00]: Starting Up
[00:00:00]: Version: 450741
[00:00:00]: Current time: Fri Feb 05 17:10:23 2021

[00:00:00]: Don't Starve Together: 450741 WIN32_STEAM
[00:00:00]: Build Date: 5874
[00:00:00]: Mode: 32-bit
[00:00:00]: Parsing command line
[00:00:00]: Command Line Arguments: 
[00:00:00]: Initializing distribution platform
[00:00:00]: Initializing Minidump handler
[00:00:00]: ....Done
[00:00:01]: Error, Steam failed to initialize, result=1...
[00:00:01]: The application will now exit
[00:00:01]: Shutting down

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Sunset Skye said:

There's a LOT more situations where I want my beefalo close when I dismount than when I want them to run away.

exactly, like 

• feeding it
  • changing saddle 
  • mounting with heavy object 

trying to do any of these things with the beefalo running away from you is incredibly annoying and can be very detrimental in combat.

Several times now when changing a saddle right after unmounting ive experienced this weird bug where, because the beef is running away from me, my character gets locked into the saddling animation and slides along with the beef, unable to move or cancel until the sliding randomly stops and the saddle gets put on...  

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Big Ups 1

8 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

I’m taking it you’ve never played Red Dead Redemption 2..

Mounts DO Run away from you and quite often.. especially if there’s something near it that frightens it..

it’s realistic, (annoying) but Realistic.. and I’ve got some hilarious saved clips of my unruly evil horse in RDO that I otherwise wouldn’t have if it didn’t just buck you off when too close to something it doesn’t like.

I think DST shouldn’t over simplify that either.. a Mount that doesn’t flee from danger, or move away from you doesn’t feel like a realistic animal.. and while annoying to deal with: These kinda do.

I love the new customization options on them and I pray Klei leaves those in after the event is over.

in fact I’m just gonna ask that now.

@PeterA do you know if the customizable Beefalo’s are going to remain even after the Chinese event ends? Or is this just something tied exclusively to the limited time mode? 

No, I have ridden real life horses and they DO NOT run away like this at all. When they are spooked they usually get jumpy first if it trained very well. Horses are one of the most loyal animals on planet earth and listen very closely to their masters. There is usually enough time for the person to calm the horse down. I have also played Read Dead 2 and that is a mechanic that makes sense there as to keep the horse safe. In dont starve beefalo are not even scared of bosses! They brave anything that attacks them to the grave! 

Edited by HowlVoid
  • Like 7

9 minutes ago, Szczuku said:

That behaviour isn't new. Beefalos always ran away from you after dismounting. Sometimes they used the walking animation and sometimes the running animation.

I have never had a beefalo run away from me like this before. even now when i drop the bell the beefalo behaves as usual and does not run away. 

the slow waddle is an entirely different thing from sprinting away at the speed of light the instant you unmount. 

Edited by Ohan
  • Like 9
  • Big Ups 1

and what about those movin heads in character selection and scoreboard? can we please get an update that they dont move and bling whit there eyese? like just an option i mean sure i found a mod that makes them like before on character select but not scoreboard well would be nice if there was an option to not have movin blingin eyese heads on there anymore

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Ohan said:

FTR beefalo always seemed to do this when i was taming them, they just typically walked away from you instead, so it was less noticeable

14 minutes ago, Lbphero said:

FTR beefalo always seemed to do this when i was taming them, they just typically walked away from you instead, so it was less noticeable

? Thats my point lol. Again, walking away at a snail’s pace like beefalo have always done and still do without the bell is something entirely different compared to the new behavior that the bell imposes on the beefalo. 

Im guessing the bell makes beefalo copy woby’s AI. They follow like she does and run away from you when you dismount exactly like she does. 

Ill see if i can post a video here demonstrating the difference 

• Like 1
  • Big Ups 1

oh, thank you! i got into a bit of a mess with my beefalo when it went into heat. it was tamed with the bell, so it wanted to be near me, but it was in heat so it wanted to attack anything near it... long story short that beefalo no longer exists. glad to know this will no longer be an issue! <3

• Haha 1

Another Bug-of-sorts I encountered is that trying to pick up items with pressing space while riding a beefalo fails; the character makes a picking up animation but doesn't. you can only click on items to pick them up when mounted. did anyone else have the same problem?

Edited by SinancoTheBest

1 hour ago, Ohan said:

This is what im talking about. the running away is a completely new behavior for beefalo, imposed by the bell. 

short 480.mov 8.03 MB · 3 downloads

Lol this is exactly what occurs on ps4 before the update and after. When trying to feed it not only does it run, but it runs continuously forever. The only way to stop it is to cancel trying to feed it and try again. This is probably a bug on ps4 idk...

Edited by HowlVoid
  • Like 1
  • Sad Dupe 1

9 hours ago, Ohan said:
  • mounting with heavy object 

So, turns out this one isn't an issue actually!
unknown.png
You can pick heavy objects up directly from on top of a beefalo now! Your character plays the dismounting and mounting animations as if they're getting down to pick it up and then getting back on.

Edited by Sunset Skye
  • Like 4

14 minutes ago, Sunset Skye said:

So, turns out this one isn't an issue actually!
unknown.png
You can pick heavy objects up directly from on top of a beefalo now! Your character plays the dismounting and mounting animations as if they're getting down to pick it up and then getting back on.

Hmm, can you harvest farm plants from the beefalo too?

Guys, we already tired of with your updates every day. Make a beta branch and test before releasing. Every day a patch on a patch. Do you think it is a pleasure to constantly spend time maintaining a dedicated server because you are idiots?

I apologize for being rude, but this really does not fit into any framework

Edited by aresd