How would you go about basing on the Lunar Island if you had/wanted to?

Well you gotta keep something that keeps the sanity away. This could be a lot of things, for late game I'm thinking a Lazy Deserter. Also, keep the hell away from the edge of the shore, come the winter times, that is the last place you'll want to be. For food, the normal things will do just fine. Meat farms, actual farms (I don't know if you can make farmland on the moon rock turf, but you can always just returf it). And that's all the things off the top of my head

I’ve done it.  Kelp and stonefruit are good already, but you’ll want non-lunar trees and a source of grass and twigs.

Wortox is pretty well suited if you bring  spider nests over and possibly plant some flowers as souls have no downside to consume on lunar island.

10 minutes ago, NSAiswatchingus said:

Just putting it out there, we don't know what the mysterious energy does yet. I wouldn't get too crazy building around your 3 close craters until RoT is finished. For all we know some massive structure wrecking boss will pop out of that thing. 

This also assumes that the mysterious energy has some payoff.  Arguably right now crab king doesn’t pay off to do in terms of time for reward, so unless the mysterious energy offsets all the time and effort it won’t be worth doing.

I assume the counterargument will be “with enough time you’ll do all the content” but how often do people bother fighting misery toadstool?

3 minutes ago, Toros said:

This also assumes that the mysterious energy has some payoff.  Arguably right now crab king doesn’t pay off to do in terms of time for reward, so unless the mysterious energy offsets all the time and effort it won’t be worth doing.

I assume the counterargument will be “with enough time you’ll do all the content” but how often do people bother fighting misery toadstool?

Probably everyone who's into megabasing goes for misery, i doubt he's that obscure. And as you pointed out, there isn't that much to do in late game as far as content, and i am convinced mysterious energy will be something meaningful.

I’ve done it a handful of times. I usually just set up a basic base. I make sure I have two regular spider nests nearby as well as a number of stone fruit bushes. That usually covers food.

Honestly, that’s about it. There’s not much else to do on the island thus far so making sure you have food is enough. I usually dig up the snappy things and plant them by the nests.

I also bring some axes and a bunch of silk for butterfly nets. I cut down lunar trees and plant them by where I’ve based.

Been doing it but I can't recommand it early except for the challenge, however after some time (like, once you have the Bone Helm) it's very different of the rest of the world and offer a good experience if you stay long on it as you've transported the more of the mainland assets on the Lunar Island.

5 hours ago, DaZoul said:

Well you gotta keep something that keeps the sanity away.

Gestalts don't really do anything. Sanity can be completely ignored.

5 hours ago, Owlrus said:

Recently I was thinking about basing there, but the circumstances there seemed limiting. So how would you guys go about basing there, either by choice or as a challenge from someone else?

Basing on lunar is like basing anywhere else because most things can be moved over to it. It's just you'd need to take a boat trip to the mainland whenever you needed to do something that can't be done sitting at your base.

Bases on lunar and hermit are pretty boring.

7 hours ago, Toros said:

Misery is necessary for napsack blueprint which lets you dupe shroom skins - lots of late game players (including me) kill him specifically for that and for a challenge. I don't think Misery is that rare/niche of a boss.

Also with Crabking you do only need to beat him once, none of the altars can be obtained a second time so it isn't like you'll have to kill Crab king each time you want to face whatever the Mysterious Energy is, you only need to kill him once and get the altar.

2 hours ago, Cheggf said:

Gestalts don't really do anything. Sanity can be completely ignored.

Ehh, well they still annoy me, and really it's not that difficult to be insane. Just stand in the darkness for a bit only stepping out to not get bonked by Charlie

On 2/1/2021 at 11:05 PM, Toros said:

I’ve done it.  Kelp and stonefruit are good already, but you’ll want non-lunar trees and a source of grass and twigs.

Wortox is pretty well suited if you bring  spider nests over and possibly plant some flowers as souls have no downside to consume on lunar island.

can you wall in a few spiders and bunnyman to have a never-ending soul farm, or would spiders go for the walls even in this case?

2 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

So gestals do something if you need something to prevent them

Not most of the time, no. You can also just go away from the gestalts to fight the hounds if you really want to nitpicky, then you don't even need glommer's goop (which is automatically obtained anyways). Or you can just make a hound killing area.

1 minute ago, Cheggf said:

Not most of the time, no. You can also just go away from the gestalts to fight the hounds if you really want to nitpicky, then you don't even need glommer's goop (which is automatically obtained anyways). Or you can just make a hound killing area.

You really want to be right 

30 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

You really want to be right 

Your entire contribution to this thread has been nothing but you really wanting to be right. For the majority of the time gestalts don't do anything, and the only time they'd matter is during hound waves where you can either briefly care about them or do a variety of other things to deal with the hound wave. You refuse to realize that because you really need to have your "Gotcha" moment.

keeping a row of kelp and glommer is the main thing but aside from that it is just a somewhat grosser version of basing in caves XD the waves are a bit harder and there are random mob spawns but if you are mindful and don't make narrow corridors/doors/rooms you are golden

(that all being said i started turning off penguls recently because i simply cannot so that does colour my opinion a bit)

Archived