Re-Rocketry Update Is Live! [Game Update] - 449549

As I understand it, now the main game will be abandoned and will not receive new mechanics and content.
I tried to play DLC, but it seemed to me that the gameplay became simpler and more primitive. In general, now I don't like DLC.

Sorry for the google translate, but English is not my native language and I don't know it very well.

Edited by Prapor95

2 hours ago, Prapor95 said:

As I understand it, now the main game will be abandoned and will not receive new mechanics and content.
I tried to play DLC, but it seemed to me that the gameplay became simpler and more primitive. In general, now I don't like DLC.

Sorry for the google translate, but English is not my native language and I don't know it very well.

- I was sceptical with DLC at first as well - are they are going right direction? do we need Rockets early? but after overcoming my "comfort zone" of vanilla ONI where you have all resources you need.. and call home single asteroid.

Now it feels great to know that on your starting asteroid you only have XYZ items, you know that you will run out of metal and need resources from other asteroids to advance.

It actually adds a lot more complexity to throw your skilled dupes (warning: stress levels over 9k) to another asteroid to set up mini sustainable base so you can extract all resources you want. 

Edited by MaximusLight
  • Like 3

Actually everything you 'need' indefinitely is on the main asteroid.    You could survive forever without leaving.        Everything else are just luxury items for dupe morale. 

The game needs a win condition to motivate players to go beyond the first base.     Base game has  temporal tear.    Dlc has nothing.    

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ONI-FAN said:

Do we need to start a new game for all these changes, or will old saves work?

Typically, you only need to start a new game if they change the world gen.  Or your save file just perpetually crashes.  But they fixed the yellowcake bug, so maybe I'll load on old colony that was stuck with that problem.

10 hours ago, Prapor95 said:

Abandoned? Really? The base game was completed a long time ago. you are not paying for a subscription do you? Don't expect to get free content all the time. And even then, you still are getting bugfixes.

• Like 7

Little weirdness going on, deployed rovers and their deployment module wasn't selectable to deconstruct, so i restarted and the modules where gone. I hope this isn't intended as the metal really helps out on the new planet. second, deployed 3 orbital cargo pods on the stinky planet but none showed up on the planet, tried again and same thing, so a lot of metal a glass are missing now.

5 hours ago, melquiades said:

Abandoned? Really? The base game was completed a long time ago. you are not paying for a subscription do you? Don't expect to get free content all the time. And even then, you still are getting bugfixes.

Well they actually confirmed they will merge the games and add some improvements to the base one. The new content will be in the dlc but they plan to provide an oldschool single asteroid world with the new things available.

• Like 1

On 1/28/2021 at 7:03 PM, Ipsquiggle said:

Finally, we're adding a durability system to all suits. This is to address a long-standing complaint that atmosuits were too easy to maintain once set up. Durability solves this in the ONI tradition, by adding an infrastructural aspect to them, rather than a single one-time cost.

I agree that Atmo Suits can be viewed as slightly OP and I don't mind some balance, little nerf here and there.

BUT...

The approach with durability system isn't best solution for the issue and by this I mean - I find it really bad. It doesn't solve initial problem (suits being very powerfull) and only adds additional costs to the system. As a result, it will take longer to progress in game without feeling of achievement of any kind. This system is boring: there is no puzzle behind it, no challenge, no depth, only fake prolonging of the game... Feels bad to pay for content with such change...

I suggest atmo suits were balanced in a different way, for example:

1. Durability loss should happen only in case of extreme conditions. For example, atmo suits could take damage above 150 C - the hotter condition the faster damage. Crafting them with advanced metals could increase the threshold, the same way we can use steel to increase overheat temps.

2. Duplicants can use atmo suits only for few hours, after that they get some significant debuffs, like -1 morale for each additional hour of suit wearing (so like -5 after 5 additional hours)

Come on KLEI, I know you can do better ideas! Entire DLC is so far display of your creativity, don't spoil it with long and boring solutions that doesn't even fix the issue... I really hope @Ipsquiggle that this is only initial iteration of the system and we could see something more exciting in the future :)

Pretty please...?

Thank you

• Like 4

17 hours ago, pether said:

The approach with durability system isn't best solution for the issue

I think that one thing is commonly overlooked in the analysis of the durability system is the fact that it generates constant flow of resources. I think it might be an attempt to create more reasons to use rocketry as part of daily used infrastructure. An alternative approach to just distributing geysers to different asteroids.

I'd expect more attempts to stimulate resource movement. After all, if we would (and I would expect that) get better rocket automation that would allow to setup fully automatic (in a sense that no player's actions would be needed to get pilot inside and select destination) rocket routes, there would be need to justify this feature and encourage players to use it.

Setuping remote colony accessible only by rockets would already require regular supplies to generate oxygen. I think devs probably want to add more different requirements, so creating ongoing demand for reed may be considered as a test for further changes.

I hope that the real nerfs are also part of the general plans for updates, but so far I think that durability has a really different intent behind it.

• Like 1
  • Big Ups 2

31 minutes ago, Meltdown said:

I think it might be an attempt to create more reasons to use rocketry as part of daily used infrastructure. An alternative approach to just distributing geysers to different asteroids.

I never thought about it in this way, thanks for valid point of view.

I'm not saying I now cliam it not to be bad and boring, but I have something to think abut, thanks :)

Could you enable the new oxygen mask system to utilize polluted oxygen? Especially on the swamp planetoid, the ability to directly use polluted oxygen was a great advantage. You could simply start using masks without establishing any kind of oxygen producing infrastructure. This also encouraged me greatly to explore the new possibilities of p. oxygen production.
Being forced to use oxygen somehow raises the bar, forcing me to establish an infrastructure for this anyway and therefore… why not simply set up the good old spom immediately and forget the issue?

• Like 1

On 1/29/2021 at 8:12 PM, RonEmpire said:

Actually everything you 'need' indefinitely is on the main asteroid.    You could survive forever without leaving.        Everything else are just luxury items for dupe morale. 

The game needs a win condition to motivate players to go beyond the first base.     Base game has  temporal tear.    Dlc has nothing.    

Old Goal still there(dupe,statue, living)

And a new one, get to the farest planetoid

Durability is weird setting for nerf the atom suit

So when to fix the steel-only game-lagging jet suit?

And now it also burn steel over time? Really?

World generation ( generating ) screen isn't compatible with 21:9, and probably several others as well.

I think it's would be great to just drop the full screen graphic down to a dynamic tile or something similar.

Keep the action at the center and maybe do a universal high resolution spaced out background. It sort of typifies most landing and configuration screens.

• Like 1