I Want Disease Back

I don't like disease, to grass, to sampling, or to berry bushes. It delete some resources permanently. Dealing with diseases are tedious and labor-intensive. I don't like it.

But I want some playable features around berry bushes, grass, samplings. Some playable features like diseases, globbers, grass geckos. The old disease is very undesirable, because in some endless servers, some people log back in game and found their deserted bases have lots of diseases. It's unfair.

Some playable features like fruit flies eating unharvested grass / berries, just like globbers eating berries left on the ground would be nice. Or make diseased plants produce nothing at 50% chance, the longer the lower. Or make harvesting diseased plants 200% slower. Some unwanted light punishment, but not like getting deleted. Maybe you can make diseased plants treatable, maybe by using some moom stuff, or some sort of random weeds grown from seeds, such as a medicine made of fire nettles and tillweed. Maybe also allow friendly fruit fly to give out warning about nearly diseased plants.

Anyhow, I want disease back, but better, or some sort of playable feature round these plants. Something trivia is fine, but not nothing.

Edit: If many people don't like the old disease but we only can have the old disease, at least give me the option to turn it on (and off for others).

48 minutes ago, goatt said:

But I want some playable features around berry bushes, grass, samplings. Some playable features like diseases, globbers, grass geckos. The old disease is very undesirable, because in some endless servers, some people log back in game and found their deserted bases have lots of diseases. It's unfair.

actually this usually never has happened because

people turn off disease or their sources of grass and saplings are not from plants but from trees/geckos

also planted sprouted stone fruit doesn't get diseased or needs fertilization

None of this is necessary, really the implementation of disease is already enough

fruit flies shouldn't eat grass or twigs because it's not food

Disease was a classic bad design for a mechanic.  It was annoying but trivial and tedious to work around.

When a mechanic is annoying to ignore and tedious to deal with the game is better without it.

You really needed to spend more time collecting your thoughts because you talk about how old disease was bad, you don’t like it, it was unfair, they should refresh and re-add it, and should add a toggle for old disease.

OP’s post is a jumbled mess that makes no sense once you read through it.

IF disease was going to be refreshed it would be a lot lower priority than just about anything klei has talked about working on.

I don’t want Disease, I Want Disease 2.0- Something that starts off by infecting juicy berry bushes, and then any Mob that comes into contact with that bush will become infected (anyone who has actually played the Hamlet DLC can clearly see where I’m going with this)

I want the mobs that become infected to also infect other things, like tree’s other mobs, the ocean water near shore, Etc

Basically the TL:DR- it explains how those highly toxic biomes of Hamlet even became a thing..

Its a combination of Disease, Contaminated Biomes and Hay Fever all rolled into one.

And you can slow down the progress of the contamination of biomes by keeping disease in control.

For example: If a Berry bush becomes diseased, and then a Rabbit eats from that diseased bush, it becomes infected, and then if that Rabbit comes into contact with other rabbits they TOO become infected, then if a random Skittersquid happens to come ashore near diseased stuff HE gets infected, and carries that back to the Water: Making fishing near the shoreline where the diseased Skittersquid disappeared into impossible until the area is purified and cleaned again.

All of this could be prevented if you remove the diseased bush before the rabbit gets into it, or if you kill the rabbit before it spreads the virus.

Either way its Disease.. but disease with actual purpose, with actual threat, and with visual story narrative of how hamlets wasteland biomes came to be.

I only used disease as a way of simulating Wildfire levels of destruction down inside Caves where Wildfires can’t happen- But the feature Could have & should have been so much more.

32 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

I don’t want Disease, I Want Disease 2.0- Something that starts off by infecting juicy berry bushes, and then any Mob that comes into contact with that bush will become infected (anyone who has actually played the Hamlet DLC can clearly see where I’m going with this)

I want the mobs that become infected to also infect other things, like tree’s other mobs, the ocean water near shore, Etc

Basically the TL:DR- it explains how those highly toxic biomes of Hamlet even became a thing..

Its a combination of Disease, Contaminated Biomes and Hay Fever all rolled into one.

And you can slow down the progress of the contamination of biomes by keeping disease in control.

For example: If a Berry bush becomes diseased, and then a Rabbit eats from that diseased bush, it becomes infected, and then if that Rabbit comes into contact with other rabbits they TOO become infected, then if a random Skittersquid happens to come ashore near diseased stuff HE gets infected, and carries that back to the Water: Making fishing near the shoreline where the diseased Skittersquid disappeared into impossible until the area is purified and cleaned again.

All of this could be prevented if you remove the diseased bush before the rabbit gets into it, or if you kill the rabbit before it spreads the virus.

Either way its Disease.. but disease with actual purpose, with actual threat, and with visual story narrative of how hamlets wasteland biomes came to be.

I only used disease as a way of simulating Wildfire levels of destruction down inside Caves where Wildfires can’t happen- But the feature Could have & should have been so much more.

That just sounds annoying to deal with

3 hours ago, gaymime said:

so you dont actually want disease back.  (also disease could be turned on or off)

I want it, but i don't like it. I want it despite i don't like it the old way. But if that's all there to offer, i'll take it. Cuz I want it.

3 hours ago, Toros said:

OP’s post is a jumbled mess that makes no sense once you read through it.

If you got a question, you can ask. You didn't ask, you just judged me. But I don't care if you judged me or my post, because if it doesn't reach you, i will reach someone else.

3 hours ago, Seero said:

fruit flies shouldn't eat grass or twigs because it's not food

I can say "beefalos shouldn't eat grass or twigs because it's not food"

3 hours ago, Seero said:

actually this usually never has happened because

If the majority doesn't like it, it's nice to leave the option open for the minority. Cuz I never turned it off, and I've been in many servers that had it on.

6 minutes ago, Seero said:

you're right, I meant to say that twigs and grass are not something fruit flies consume

You are also right. They probably don't eat grass in real life. I googled loosely before posting, but then I thought, idc, this is just an example, it doesn't have to be absolutely true, cuz spider dens don't turn into queens in real life. But those dn't matter. I was just giving many random examples that came to my mind while I was writing. I didn't think thru. But the point is I want some playable features that have minor effect on general QoL in dst life. Once I lost it, I realize I want it back.

Gobblers are funny little guys, but they're not much of a punishment. For only a few pieces of grass and a few twigs you can place something that he likes inside a pen. He spawns, sees something on the floor, ignores the berries because he prefers the easier floor food, and infinitely runs into the wall trying to get it. Instead of him eating your berries you get two free drumsticks, since he's very easy to kill at that point. Even if you don't set up a gobbler trap you can simply harvest the berries during dusk or night instead of day, or just scare him away from the berries if it happens during the day.

So if you're asking for a mechanic that's as easy to work around as the gobbler and can be turned from a punishment into a boon then I don't think many people would disagree with you. But the old disease mechanic sucked, it was unfun to play around, took no skill, it was just boring and tedious.

Same, I liked the concept but not the execution. When RWYS's beta started I've made a thread too and I was pretty... annoyed to see the disease removed after such a long time of ignoring it instead of a proper rework, but devs said there's a POSSIBILITY (so it's probably very low but who knows) that they make it returns with an actual interesting gameplay around it, it's still in the game files at least so maybe the best we can have is a mod that reworks/returns it itself before we have news about disease from the game.

15 minutes ago, ADM said:

Same, I liked the concept but not the execution. When RWYS's beta started I've made a thread too and I was pretty... annoyed to see the disease removed after such a long time of ignoring it instead of a proper rework, but devs said there's a POSSIBILITY (so it's probably very low but who knows) that they make it returns with an actual interesting gameplay around it, it's still in the game files at least so maybe the best we can have is a mod that reworks/returns it itself before we have news about disease from the game.

But console players don’t have access to mods so whatever features Klei changes or removes directly impacts our game because We can not just apply a mod to put something back/revert it.

I feel like maybe it was removed so they can rework it and make it something interesting and fun to deal with even if that is reserved for a Harder difficulty mode, i sincerely hope it wasn’t just pulled from the game forever..

Because even if LOTS of people didn’t use it, there was still the minority who did enjoy it- and In my opinion it should be something that is toggled Off by Default that players can Opt into turning on if they want to play. Rather then just straight up removing the feature completely.

50 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

But can consume their sap making them sick and uneable to produce resources

why would fruit flies do that

and if klei wants to make plantables so painful I guess i'll just move on to grass geckos and twiggy trees

• Developer
9 hours ago, fubukishirakami said:

if they brought disease i would want a cure like growth formula or somthng

Here is the thing, you had a cure, it was shovels, if we introduced a cure, it would just be exchanging 1 arbitrary item(shovel) with another arbitrary item.

Now, for everyone asking about disease:

We removed disease because it had no interesting mechanics behind it. Players who dug up stuff were doubly punished, first by needing to fertilize and second by randomly needing to apply the "cure". We had even discussed how to possibly make it an interesting mechanic, but we couldn't come up with any ideas that didn't result in a complete overhaul of how disease worked (and therefore behaved and acted completely differently.), because of that, we removed the bad mechanic.

It's possible that in the future(we have no plans, but we have heard your feedback regarding a disease like mechanic), we will add something that fits under the disease theme, but disease in its current form will almost certainly never come back.

I would want the old old disease back with the resource  cycling. It really helped to keep the world having resources. 

People would say it was annoying to have to go and recollect the plants  but in all honesty who is really harvesting thier megabase of twigs and grass every 3 days. Usually it just sits there And is mostly for decor

And with the way new farming is implemented  in feel we should be able to cultivate the native plants  to make them better producers.

Like using the new farm plots.  We can transplant the plants onto the tilled ground  so they would be immune to the cycling but they can work them to get more per harvest. 

This also allows  the player to choose what resources they want for Thier base or even collect them all.

28 minutes ago, zarklord_klei said:

Here is the thing, you had a cure, it was shovels

the thing is that it was boring and if you miss because being exploring you lose forever that plant. If berry bushes and other plants were applied to regrowth i dont think people would compain that much but having a boring preventing method (harvest them)+boring cure(shovel all and replant and the game dont have geometric placement by default)+hard punish made me diseable it via commands after few time playing a world

just making them no disappear but uneable to give resources until cured and adding more stuff to the regrowth  would be a good improvement atleast for me

i think it was the right step, atleast now can be used for decoration, but is sad for a potential cool feature

58 minutes ago, zarklord_klei said:

Here is the thing, you had a cure, it was shovels, if we introduced a cure, it would just be exchanging 1 arbitrary item(shovel) with another arbitrary item.

Now, for everyone asking about disease:

We removed disease because it had no interesting mechanics behind it. Players who dug up stuff were doubly punished, first by needing to fertilize and second by randomly needing to apply the "cure". We had even discussed how to possibly make it an interesting mechanic, but we couldn't come up with any ideas that didn't result in a complete overhaul of how disease worked (and therefore behaved and acted completely differently.), because of that, we removed the bad mechanic.

It's possible that in the future(we have no plans, but we have heard your feedback regarding a disease like mechanic), we will add something that fits under the disease theme, but disease in its current form will almost certainly never come back.

you people should really interject more often into debated topics to settle things

it really saves us alot of trouble

I was using it mostly for caves server shards anyway, it made sense to be in caves where there’s little sunlight and bats and mole bats and ugly mutated worms lived- as a SURFACE gameplay mechanic I always turned it off because wildfires pretty much served the same purpose of having to watch things/remove them with shovel if need be.

Down in Caves content though Wildfires couldn’t happen so I always saw Disease as the Caves variant to Wildfires.

I am glad that Zarklord mentioned that disease may make a comeback but not in its original form: If they ever green light a harder more uncompromising difficulty mode, this is something I would like to see as part of that.

disease was pointless, I always turned it off anyway, you had the option there to have it or not in world gen settings and let's be honest here, no one wanted it, no one was using it so why bother now. It's like not wanting to eat a cookie but wanting to have it just because reasons. Who wants to deal with this labour intensive stuff anyway when you are on your day +1000 for old world and trying to do other stuff than run around with a shovel or whatever other cure it would be. Great that they removed it, let's not be sore about something that no one would know was removed had they not put it in patch notes.

The weeds with farming update are great, this is sth that is not disruptive enough to need to have an on/off option and people can decide if they want to do farming or not but berry bushes already have their own thing with gobblers :D Let them be, free the berry bushes, let's not bring berry covid into the game :wilson_flower:

Archived