No fiber available - glitch deleted the carpet tiles in POI ruins and didn't give me their fiber

Can't find any fiber on my asteroid and on the connected asteroid from the teleporter, so I can't built atmosuits and I absolutely hate the oxygen masks.

Also if you build over an existing tile to change its type (let's say carpet -> normal) you won't get the materials refund. So the carpet from the POI ruins is wasted.

What can I do?

Deconstructing an item returns its primary material, but does not appear to return secondary materials.  I just tried with a carpeted tile and a blank canvas.

That being said... I've had absolutely no problems playing the DLC.  Atmo suits are useful, but they aren't a requirement in the early parts of the game.

Dupes don't have to walk far in space, so they can easily hold their breadth

Atmo suits are more needed for when you get into oil and by that time you can have reed fiber. Oil doesn't also have many uses with cooling being available without steam turbines and petroleum rockets not implemented yet.

The drama and whining over this is just ridiculous. It's also only an "issue" with a swamp start. Which plays differently. Just as the base game has asteroids that don't have certain nice materials like gold amalgam or easy ice. So you find alternatives or workarounds. With the Terra start you have swamp biomes right away.

Most of the rocket stuff can be set without even going into vacuum, telescopes work fully covered with tiles if they are next to the wall. Then you can send a couple of rovers to prepare the third world for dupes. A lvl 1 dupe can easily live long enough to reach one of the oxygen pockets (when rovers make a hole and build the ladders) and then seal it off with an airlock. Once on the third planet you will have access to reed fiber.

You can use the oxygen masks with limited dupe access for good measure but they can do most stuff without them.

Thimble reed and dreckos can both be found on the third asteroid, and is within rocket range. Definitely the DLC could use more information to the player on where resources are located, perhaps prominently in the in-game encyclopedia but modified depending on your starting asteroid to be in sync with the current game. Importantly it should be very clear on what you won’t find on your home or second asteroids, so you can be prepared to design and build alternative solutions.

I actually like the way that atmosuits arrive much later, allowing room for new and creative ways to solve the problems that atmosuits historically have (or at least as long as atmosuits suits have been in the game). Along with pre steam turbine temperature management, it feels like a better pace.

On 12/19/2020 at 3:01 PM, KittenIsAGeek said:

Deconstructing an item returns its primary material, but does not appear to return secondary materials.  I just tried with a carpeted tile and a blank canvas.

Is this a new bug in the DLC?  I'm sure I have gotten reed fiber back from deconstructing paintings and carpet before.

8 hours ago, psusi said:

Is this a new bug in the DLC?  I'm sure I have gotten reed fiber back from deconstructing paintings and carpet before.

Just confirmed in sandbox, deconstructing a carpet tile will return reed fibers as it should.   I think the issue is it being a POI item, noticed this with a plastic bed as well, deconstructed it expecting to get some early game plastic, but got some raw mineral instead.   My guess, not a bug - they probably did this to keep some material bottlenecked.

Which is probably fair enough, but I wish that on the flip side they'd make all the POI stuff deconstructible at that point

3 hours ago, Brian.oni said:

noticed this with a plastic bed as well, deconstructed it expecting to get some early game plastic, but got some raw mineral instead.

If you mouse over the Gravitas bed (note that it's actual name, both here and when you build them normally, isn't "Plastic bed", it's "Comfy bed" - this will become relevant momentarily) you'll see that it says it's made of Obsidian, not plastic.

So that's why you got raw mineral: because that's literally what it's made of. Comfy beds can exist that are made of things other than plastic; you just can't make your dupes construct them.

On 12/21/2020 at 9:55 PM, Tsabo said:

So that's why you got raw mineral: because that's literally what it's made of.

Well, that explains it.  I did not have reed fibers available to build anything -- so I was deconstructing the items that already existed.  You're right, they're made of the materials I got when I deconstructed them and not what my schematic recipe calls for.

1 hour ago, RonEmpire said:

Deckos are  available in care packages 

Only if you discovered them. Won`t appear if you are playing the swamp start before you land on the 3rd planetoid. It only takes a rover to dig close enough so that one becomes visible though. Same for thimble reed.

4 hours ago, Sasza22 said:

Only if you discovered them.

Not true. I've seen playthroughs where dreckos have not been discovered yet (person hadn't even gone through the teleporter to the 2nd planetoid yet) and come out of printing pods.

What you get from the printing pod is purely RNG. So getting an early drecko or thimble reed seed is purely luck.

Just now, TrayneRek said:

Not true. I've seen playthroughs where dreckos have not been discovered yet (person hadn't even gone to the 2nd planetoid yet) and come out of printing pods.

What you get from the printing pod is purely RNG. So getting an early drecko or thimble reed seed is purely luck.

I`m sure some of the things you get need to be discovered. But it doesn`t mean you need a person to go there. It`s enough if it spawns near the top of the asteroid so you can see it when watching the surface. I`m not sure if dreckos needed to be discovered or did it have a chance after x cycles in vanilla but in dlc i had the option only after rovers saw it on the third asteroid. Maybe it was a coinidence but in the current setup it kinda doesn`t make sense for it to be fully random.

1 minute ago, Sasza22 said:

I`m sure some of the things you get need to be discovered. But it doesn`t mean you need a person to go there. It`s enough if it spawns near the top of the asteroid so you can see it when watching the surface. I`m not sure if dreckos needed to be discovered or did it have a chance after x cycles in vanilla but in dlc i had the option only after rovers saw it on the third asteroid. Maybe it was a coinidence but in the current setup it kinda doesn`t make sense for it to be fully random.

The person got a drecko w/o having ever left the first planetoid. They didn't see them on the 3rd planetoid (they hadn't even revealed it yet) and they haven't been to the 2nd planetoid (they didn't even click on the teleporter yet to unlock it) and they got drecko eggs out of the printing pod.

Again, what you get from the printing pod is 100% RNG. 

I´ve played my way through the current DLC content serveral times, and all i needed atmo suits for, was the oil biome on one of the asteroids. And there just to dig out, place the stuff, and release gas pressure now and then. 1 lonely atmo suit for the entire game. The rest... my dupes held theire breath, if needed. I tried the gas mask station exactly at one time, and decided its not worth anything, and removed it. 

14 hours ago, TrayneRek said:

I can assure you it`s not all rng. There are multiple buckets of things you can get unlocking based on cycles. Some things need to be "discovered" so for example you can`t get steel or plastic before you produce some. You also don`t get aluminium ore on sandstone starts. I was wrong about the drecko though, since it`s on every start in vanilla it was just cycle gated.

I can`t find the thread with the care package drop tables but it`s not just rng. there is a discover and cycles passed requirement for certain items.

On 12/24/2020 at 10:56 AM, Sasza22 said:

Only if you discovered them. Won`t appear if you are playing the swamp start before you land on the 3rd planetoid. It only takes a rover to dig close enough so that one becomes visible though. Same for thimble reed.

That's odd.  I've actually gotten them before discovering them on swampy biome start.     I can check my stream replay again.   I've managed to exo suits before even making a rocket. This was during alpha. 

I've also gotten larva before discovering them. 

On 12/24/2020 at 3:19 PM, TrayneRek said:

The person got a drecko w/o having ever left the first planetoid. They didn't see them on the 3rd planetoid (they hadn't even revealed it yet) and they haven't been to the 2nd planetoid (they didn't even click on the teleporter yet to unlock it) and they got drecko eggs out of the printing pod.

I have recorded my play through stream  where I got drecko eggs before even seeing the 2nd or 3rd planet.      Decko eggs does not need to be discovered.      Pretty sure the eggs are pure random.            Glass and steel and plastic  does require discovery.    Joy seed does not.  Swampy biome doesn't have joy seeds.  Yet they can be given from the pod.    Same as bbq food.   I've gotten bbq   without every making a grill before. 

If you visit this wiki.   There is a list of items that come out of the pod.  And has a note next to the ones that need discovery.  But the rest does not need discovery.    https://oxygennotincluded.gamepedia.com/Printing_Pod#cite_ref-seen_1-2

Eggs and seeds  do not need discovery.      I remember playing in main game  before dlc   that you could get pips on Terra without discovery.   Since that allows you to get the critter achievement. 

1 hour ago, RonEmpire said:

Eggs and seeds  do not need discovery.      I remember playing in main game  before dlc   that you could get pips on Terra without discovery.   Since that allows you to get the critter achievement. 

Ahh that`s why they didn`t give them the discovery requirement. I was sure they needed that. It would make sense for the dlc though. Sorry for the misinformation.

Archived