3 suggestions for the game: sickles, bridges, and labels

These are just some thoughts I've had that might improve the game, so I'd like to hear your feedback. Firstly, sickles. You would equip them like any other tool, and they would allow you to harvest grass and twigs without going through the harvesting animation. Instead it would be as if you are picking up cut grass and/or twigs off the ground, or like picking a carrot. They could be made from twigs and flint, with a gold version also available.

Secondly, bridges. We already have boats, which can be used to make "bridges", so why not add actual bridges that look a bit nicer? They could just be a turf which you can place over water and then walk across. It would be easy enough to think of things to make them more interesting if need be, maybe wooden bridges are cheap but can get washed away in a spring rainstorm, while stone bridges are more expensive but also more durable?

Finally, labels, specifically for bundling wrap but maybe also for other things? It would just save some time and cut grass, so you don't have to open all your bundled supplies to find the one you were looking for. Maybe they could cost 1 papyrus, and when applied to a bundling wrap your character has to option to read it, e.g. "monster meat + veggies"

Thoughts?

Labels ? Like Name Tags on Minecraft ? That's be amazing ! I'm sure we can think of a lot of fantastic stuff from this, renaming our equipments, a preview on Signs, your Critter, or not just bundles but any storage. Mini Signs really helped out, maybe the labels could be an upgrade, the two of them can cohabit I think :D

19 minutes ago, phobs said:

Это будет слишком просто

Google translates this as "It will be too easy". I assume you're mostly talking about the sickle, since the other two wouldn't really affect difficulty. It might make it slightly easier, but I think it's worth it. You could always balance it by limiting the durability of the sickle, or requiring a science machine to prototype it. Besides, I don't think the difficulty of the game should come from having to hold down spacebar for a long time to get enough resources, especially late game.

18 minutes ago, ADM said:

Labels ? Like Name Tags on Minecraft ? That's be amazing ! I'm sure we can think of a lot of fantastic stuff from this, renaming our equipments, a preview on Signs, your Critter, or not just bundles but any storage. Mini Signs really helped out, maybe the labels could be an upgrade, the two of them can cohabit I think :D

Those are good ideas, a lot more than I thought of :P. If it's going to be used on bundling wraps, it would have to be cheap or re-useable to make it worth it. For my current game I guess I will just have to make multiple chests with mini signs for my bundling wraps, although I would prefer to keep them all in the same chest.

I have been asking the sickle concept for a long ... in a 500 days+ world I want a better way than pressing the space-bar for minutes to harvest grass and twigs other than playing wicker bottom with a eye plant farm. 

Shipwrecked had strong winds to make them easier to harvest and hamlet had tall grass. Always wondered why no efficient way is present in late game, since DST now has so much late game content rather than having to watch harvest and pick animation for stretches of time . Penning grass gecko is somewhat good solution and in my opinion some other form should be available especially with twigs.

1 minute ago, Wambachaka said:

Care to share the names of the mods? :-D

"New Boat Shapes" and "Inspect Bundle", I think

"Rewrap Bundles" is also the useful one, it allows you to change in or take out something from bundle without dropping everything on the ground.

4 hours ago, Wambachaka said:

Secondly, bridges. We already have boats, which can be used to make "bridges", so why not add actual bridges that look a bit nicer? They could just be a turf which you can place over water and then walk across. It would be easy enough to think of things to make them more interesting if need be, maybe wooden bridges are cheap but can get washed away in a spring rainstorm, while stone bridges are more expensive but also more durable?

I want other bridges more!
1952659317_QoL1.thumb.jpg.218ccecc61f091401d0b160f2c9c89ee.jpg
But for the ocean, too, would not refuse.

I like the concept of labels for wraps a lot, or at least the option to make them different colors.

Bridges i'm indifferent, they would look nicer but i'd only be fine with them if you can only put them between small gaps, not make bridges across the ocean.

For sickles i'm voting no, there are mid and late-game farm options that allow you to pick grass/twigs pre-stacked to 40, like lureplants and deathworms, they are tedious to set up and are only available later, but they are worth it. It would also affect early core gameplay too much in my opinion. 

19 minutes ago, BeeClops said:

I like the concept of labels for wraps a lot, or at least the option to make them different colors.

Bridges i'm indifferent, they would look nicer but i'd only be fine with them if you can only put them between small gaps, not make bridges across the ocean.

For sickles i'm voting no, there are mid and late-game farm options that allow you to pick grass/twigs pre-stacked to 40, like lureplants and deathworms, they are tedious to set up and are only available later, but they are worth it. It would also affect early core gameplay too much in my opinion. 

Different colours for wraps is a good idea. I agree that bridges shouldn't be able to go across the ocean, although you can already do that with boat bridges. I disagree about the sickles but that's okay. Early game the time saved would be counter weighed a bit by the extra inventory slot taken by the sickle, and you could require a science machine or something else to prototype.

What would you think if it was a magic item, requiring an ancient pseudoscience station to craft? Or maybe a celestial altar, or whatever crafting station they added in the ancient archive. In this case I think it would have to be a lot more durable, maybe re-fuelable like a yellow amulet?

I also just had the idea that maybe it could be a crockpot dish, probably exclusive to Warly. Eat it and you get the effect of a sickle for X amount of time.

Everyone complains about the "picking" animation but they forget its supposed to be like that early game. Its not like you are still picking grass and twigs manually on the day 200. By that time you can have automated lureplant farms

Labels kinda redundant since we already have mini sign. Make a bundle, put it into a chest and mark it with minisign. "whaaa but what if players cant put it back into correct chest?" well if they cant do that simple thing, what makes you think they will keep labeling the bundles?

Try posting it in correct forums for more attention https://forums.kleientertainment.com/forums/forum/76-dont-starve-together-suggestions-and-feedback/

Anything that gets me any closer towards being able to make my worlds look like THIS:

7437F603-1D95-42D5-AAE1-52B50F63CDDB.thumb.jpeg.8f37aeccac976c89f3733b4f4f65f74a.jpeg

I 100% agree with.

I want wooden, cut stone, and rope bridges in my game (as well as Japanese Sakura Trees) so I can recreate the image above for my base- and also so people will hopefully stop using that ugly round boat platform as a makeshift bridge..

give us actual boats that look like boats and actual bridges that look like bridges Klei.. I’m going to continue to hold out hope for these things until Return of Them update chain reaches its final conclusion.

(players should have to visit both sides of a bridge to create a Connect and End point so you can’t just plop this down in the water to cross to an area you haven’t explored yet like branching cave biomes.)

Seriously how hard would it be to have to create a bridge starting area at point A and then travel to the other Biome to place the Bridge connection at point B to link them up? They shouldn’t just Auto-Build themselves..you should have to travel to the starting and ending link locations before it will even allow you to build a bridge.

it should be roughly about like Pearls home or the Boat Mast upgrades, (Aka structures that you can continue to Upgrade) 

I strongly feel like it would be beyond heavily broken if you could just plop down a bridge in a cave to explore an biome that’s across a gap that You haven’t even stepped foot into yet.

But having something like THIS I would 100% agree to-

613E94B0-83FA-4973-8546-88B571560290.thumb.jpeg.02457cedfac76365f1669b949cee9e36.jpeg

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I've seen lureplant farming mentioned a couple times as an alternative to sickles, so I'll give my 2 cents on that. I'm not really a fan because unless you're Wickerbottom, in order to use lureplant farms you have to leave them unloaded (off screen) so the plant doesn't digest all the twigs/grass. It doesn't feel like a very polished mechanic, more of a band-aid solution. And realistically a new player will never find out about this unless they look online.

I agree that you should be required to visit both sides of a bridge before you build it, especially in the caves. And if there are bridges in the caves there should be a length limit. Maybe earthquakes can damage them? It would be a horrifying feeling if the bridge started to break while you were halfway across. :wilson_horror:

14 hours ago, BeeClops said:

Maybe if the bridges (or bridge tiles) could only been build 3 tiles away from land. So there is enough freedom to build some smaller bridges, but building across the ocean wouldn't be possible.

If bridges ever come to the game, we will be saying "back in my day, we walked in wooden circles!", and the sickle...please, I have so much grass to collect, I usually do 1 harvest per season becuz I waste so much time harvesting.It's not even about pressing space bar, I use a mod for it (thanks DemonRebuilt),it's about the time.
I like the idea of labels, I just wonder if it wouldn't be heavy coding on the game, I'm not a game designer, idk nothing.

Archived