Which mods you miss the most?

I have never used mods in ONI but I think I will go for natural tiles. 

It make my bases much neater. Now with even less space to plan, much less room for mistakes of digging natural tiles. 

Airlocks are very tempting.

What about pliers. So many positive feedbacks but as I understand from its description it just makes easier to change the connection of tubes and wires? That's it?

I do not use sweepy as it is pretty useless in the current state. The sweepy mods (liquid output piping, choose what to sweep) are quite ok to start using the bot.

1. Pliers
  2. Deconstructable POI Props
  3. Chained Deconstruction
  4. Gas overlay
On 12/18/2020 at 4:02 AM, ArchRylen said:

Being able to fill water bottles from pipes.

And conversely. There are a few mods that, when combined, allow you to draw/inject liquids and gases from/into their respective pipes. Managing dupe-pipes interactions using automated vents+pincher pumps, or bottle emptier+pump is really tedious. And do not get me started on gases.

14 hours ago, KonfigSys said:

What about pliers. So many positive feedbacks but as I understand from its description it just makes easier to change the connection of tubes and wires? That's it?

Yes, it allows you to cut off the connections between existing pipes, in the same way you can already create connections between existing pipes in the base game. This sounds simple but it is very, very handy. To do the same thing in the base game, you have to deconstruct then reconstruct one of the pipe, which requires two actions from your dupes and spills the content of the pipe.

I'm surprised that nobody mentioned DGSM.
Spending minutes rerolling dupes at the start of the game is one of the worst expiriences I had in ONI. We should have a faster way to generate starting crew with desired interests/traits. DGSM offered one of the possible solutions.

11 hours ago, KonfigSys said:

Can we just ask Klei to embed pliers into the game? It looks like it is the number one and many want it to be a part of the game. It does not sounds like a cheat or anything extra beneficial, it is simply very handy and improve QoL.

It is beneficial in that you can easily avoid spilling pipes, but currently not spilling pipes is much too complicated. Maybe pliers could be a skill like plumbing? It certainly should be in the game in some form

On 12/22/2020 at 10:43 PM, KonfigSys said:

bigger zoom is already in the game -> Left Alt + S and you can rotate the mouse wheel to change the scale

It is not exactly any good though, the moment you zoom in you cannot zoom out again, having to do that trick yet again.

@Yunru The airlock looks dope and I think I saw it a while back. However, it requires refined metal and it's an overkill for just a simple separation of two zones (e.g. when you want to quickly isolate a caustic biome, just get in there, build a pump, and vent the chlorine)

Oh most definitely. It's a sad fact that liquid and even gas locks are simply more efficient. 

But there's nothing stopping you from not using those for a self-imposed challenge. 

I think if I were to make a newer airlock design it'd be more of a corridor filled with mini-pumps. 

On 12/29/2020 at 9:28 AM, Nedix said:

@Yunru The airlock looks dope and I think I saw it a while back. However, it requires refined metal and it's an overkill for just a simple separation of two zones (e.g. when you want to quickly isolate a caustic biome, just get in there, build a pump, and vent the chlorine)

I usually use a gas lock for that. A few tiles of CO2 are your done. Or in the case of a caustic biome, a few tiles of hydrogen. They are a bit bigger than liquid locks - and can be messed with by pressure changes, but they don't even debuff dups.

658293544_Screenshotfrom2021-01-0101-31-54.png.070c3d5396c3fc1b6f90af2ed585be85.png

Of course, a CO2 gas lock would be upside down.

The lock you see in the picture, has been there for like 200 cycles.

Yes you have to know how and when to make them.  Opposite to that, I had another caustic biome. Instead of hydrogen, I've used oxygen for the lock. A diffuser on top creates a small pocket. O2 can't go down where chlorine is (left in this case). It does go the other way (if you really don't want to, a layer of CO2 prevents that), but that's ok, just think of providing O2 to the base. Not much, mind you, since in the confined space of the two top tile, the diffuser is almost always overpressurized, so the amount of algae used to keep the lock is minimal (and doesn't go wasted, as O2 slowly floats towards the base). You can even automate it to keep pressure at the same of chlorine.

It's been long disabled, I removed the chlorine so there's oxygen on both sides, random gasses creeped in, but you get the idea...

1881686950_Screenshotfrom2021-01-0112-19-08.thumb.png.1248c0a17f05bfef16fee351d66e760b.png

You can make the path on the right narrower to reduce the amount of O2 that leaks out, but again at the time I considered that part of the oxygen production, so no big deal.
It's cycle 279 now, age is 242, so I've build the diffuser on cycle 37, long before I had suits. Dups weren't happy to work in chlorine of course, but all they did was to fill a couple of bins with slime.

As you can see, these locks don't have to be huge, the size is about the same of a liquid lock. You can reverse it and do the same if on the other side there's hydrogen. They work even better if at the at the end of a long tunnel (the diffuser is almost constantly overpressurized). Of course they are situational, and temporary for the early game. Sometimes hydrogen alone does the trick, sometime CO2, and in the case they can be quite stable.

Chlorine doesn't work as well as CO2 of locks, in my experience it tends to "dance" around with O2 too much. Hydrogen and CO2 both are well separated from O2.

Archived