Can a summer-resistant boat bridge exist?

Hello. I'm new here. After a while as a silent spectator, I decided to make a post of my own after losing 3 boat bridges due to summer. I use my boat bridge (savannah with base-antlion desert) only in summer, to go fish for festive lights and then fight the antlion, I'd like to have one, because it considerably reduces travel time, but the recent event seem to point in the direction that I should go back to the good old cane + road. I usually use the boat bridge 3-4 times per summer: I often forget some things and have to go back to my base in the savannah to get them).
The first bridge had only boats, and the malbatross scattered them. 
The second bridge had anchors too, but it caught fire.
The third bridge had anchors and flingos (with no uncovered spaces, I was extra careful). I didn't turn them on: my hope was that emergency mode would activate to put down fires. This is because I'm sure that sooner or later, even if I did my best to keep the flingos on all summer, eventually fuel would run out and wildfires would happen anyway. However, this time, the flingo itself started smouldering, catching me off guard.
So, here's my shout-out: what strategies do the people that use boat bridges during summer adopt (if any)?

I have the same question.

In public servers I stopped making bridges altogether since I kept losing them all the time, even with flingos.
Personally, I think the point is that boats were not designed to be turned into bridges, and the best solution is to either refuel all the flingos all summer, or just not loading the area (which in a public server is nigh impossible)

50 minutes ago, ShadowDuelist said:

the best solution is to either refuel all the flingos all summer, or just not loading the area

my server is mostly private, and this is what I usually try to do for my base, it works well enough for me actually (except when I have visitors, in which case I try to keep them all active). I guess what I will try to do in one last attempt will be keeping them on and feeling each one just a little whenever I need them in summer.

44 minutes ago, SilverBisexual said:

It would be really cool if you could "use" a Dragonfly scale on a boat like how you repair them with twigs to make it fireproof

That would be nice, but I don't think Klei will do it, since they also designed another instrument for the boat, the fire pump, with a similar function to the flingo.

12 minutes ago, QuartzBeam said:

Boats themselves cannot burst into flames spontaneously. They can only catch fire if it spreads to them from structures on them. So empty boats are immune to summer.

this is very good news, if you're sure about it. I will try making a path that goes farther away from the malbatross' spawn and see if empty boats work

3 minutes ago, licet_insanire said:

this is very good news, if you're sure about it. I will try making a path that goes farther away from the malbatross' spawn and see if empty boats work

exactly how long is your bridge, malbatross spawns in fish clusters that only spawn in deep oceans (I think)

I don't know why, but my malbatross spawn is between two land branches. there is a sea stack close by, so I guess the ocean was deep enough. The image of my map that I have is quite old and with low quality, because I was trying to get as much of my map in it as possible. I could provide a new one, but there would be no boat bridge. 1115589040_Screenshot2020-12-14at17_17_17.thumb.png.a668fd41a59ee73a45379ec542a6f6a1.png

I highlighted the spawn with a black circle, but I noticed that it's not clearly recognisable and you'll have to trust me that it's actually there :'D

39 minutes ago, licet_insanire said:

snop

I'm pretty sure that your boat bridge is just so long that it went into the malbatross' turf. What I would suggest is that you make a new one at a slightly tiled trajectory, so that avoid the 'tross. I suggest aiming for the green part of the now desecrated spider quarry. I would also make sure that all of your boats are fresh and have 0 momentum as they will not move without the first push. This will also lead for you to remove any possible anchors, and thus highly limit, if not totally eliminate if Quartz is to be believed, the chances of wild fires sparking on your myriad of boats.

45 minutes ago, Frashaw27 said:

I'm pretty sure that your boat bridge is just so long that it went into the malbatross' turf. What I would suggest is that you make a new one at a slightly tiled trajectory, so that avoid the 'tross. I suggest aiming for the green part of the now desecrated spider quarry. I would also make sure that all of your boats are fresh and have 0 momentum as they will not move without the first push. This will also lead for you to remove any possible anchors, and thus highly limit, if not totally eliminate if Quartz is to be believed, the chances of wild fires sparking on your myriad of boats.

yes, this was exactly my plan. I once saw the malbatross spawn next to me while I was travelling, and immediately fled in hope that its waves wouldn't move my boats, but when I later came my boats were nowhere to be found, so that's exactly what happened. I think this time I will try a straight line towards the dragonfly and then a secondary path to the spider quarry, so the opposite of what I initially did.

26 minutes ago, ADM said:

Ever heard of pyromaniac birds ? :willow:

this… this was unaccounted for. ugh. The fun thing is that I main woodie, so the hatred that I will feel for pyromaniac birds will be quite in-character ç_ç 

I'd say, this situation is very unlikely on a unequipped boat so don't worry to much about it. The bird have to burn itself or drop a seed very close to one of the burnable point of the boat (there is 3 if I remind correctly) or the fire wont have the time to reach before it turns off, still it happened to me one time...

It does indeed look like something that would very rarely occur, but I welcome the knowledge anyway: forewarned is forearmed. for instance, I didn't even know that boats had only specific spots where burning could start. I don't see it changing the way I use boats, but interesting fact ^_^
Thanks for the advice :-D

new person in the forums have to do my routine

welcome to the forums. hope you enjoy your time here 

to answer your question im pretty sure boats don't set on fire i had one leading all the way to lunar island and i used it quite a good bit and it never caught fire once so i don't know im not very knowledgeable on this topic:lol:

you should just listen to what other people are saying 

anyways hope you have a wonderful day or night wherever you are in the world

25 minutes ago, DarkPulse91 said:

I mean.. I just sail to lunar island or hermit island whenever I need to. No need for a bridge 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

yeah i like sailing but my friend doesn't so he just makes bridges and it would be a waste to not use them

16 minutes ago, wons said:

can we just begin with the fact that the darn boat is on water, so it should be somehow fireproof?

have you ever played sea of theives?(or just at all seen any pirates fight in a movie or a video game?)

Archived