Rockets: How I learned how to stop worrying about morale and...

After pondering spacefarer rocket concepts for a while, I hit upon a crazy idea, based on my experience with the 100K Challenge asteroid.

Behold, the "Deep Freeze":

image.thumb.png.c5c57cb7a4c4c5c16487374009b0cd36.png

You might be asking: "What about toilets? Food preservation? CO2 removal?" All of these, along with heat, are handled by one aquatuner:

image.thumb.png.5d834155bc877cfbfcc6cb444bf6cb2d.png

That's right, the entire rocket is kept at a balmy -70 C using ethanol in an aquatuner. At the minor cost of hypothermia, the lack of toilets turns into the simple problem of occasionally sweeping up polluted ice off the floor. Carbon dioxide, likewise, flash freezes into debris that can be dumped while landed or just left there. Any food brought is kept preserved by the frigid temperatures. Stress might be an issue, but with the help of pixel packs for decent decor and good quality food, Duplicants with basic skills can be kept in the green. Even if they do lash out, ugly criers and vomiters will just generate harmless ice.

Plumbing:

image.thumb.png.4c4b4ee471ea5b01a95351252ef072e3.png

Automation:

image.thumb.png.787606f3b3deda2117c988a9c0fe5856.png

No need to worry about heat, sand for the sieves or dirt/water for the toilets - embrace the Deep Freeze today! [If you don't mind supplying it with a few tons of oxylite instead of algae, the design can be made even more compact!]

Very nice idea ! Clever : simple and effective. 
I was trying to figure out how to handle CO2, bringing a ressource to make oxygen, have water, dispose of Pwater... And voilà, you had the answer  : cold. But you still had to bring algea, and you "wasted" your dupes' messes.

This is my take on your build : no algea intake. You use the water from the steam turbine to feed an electrolyzer. 
I think in-game it will be a little bit hard to setup, but it was fun to do and theory-craft. You just have to bring food for hundreds of day for your dupe, and then it's (theoretically) all set. I have run it for approximately 20 cycles and it was OK. The hydrogen pump didn't start yet.

The ice is put back into the steam chamber, which creates more water.
There is a hydrogen pump (with a filter gate to max, so it doesnt start until there is a lot of hydrogen), and an infintie storage for hydrogen. I haven't tested it for hundreds of cycles so I don't know.

A little bit of math : a duplicant breathes 60kg of O2 per cycle. An electolyser makes 800/s using 1000g/s of water. So it takes 7.5 sec for it to generate a full cycle, therefore 7.5kg of water. The dupe makes a little bit less than 2kg of polluted ice per cycle (mess). So it is  roughly 5.5kg of water needed per cycle. 
You have approximately 1ton of water / tile in the steam room and there are 5 tiles. So it would take a bit less than 900 cycles to exhaust the steam. In the end it might cause problems because of the aquatuner overheating though. 

Space for improvement :
- the food storage at the bottom right seems to be useless (I used hydrogen for sterile atmosphere, I forgot how spoilage worked in oxygen, never use it...)
- the hydrogen pump and storage may be overkill... I was thinking of a way to do an "eternal rocket" but I wil have to think a little bit more for this I guess. 

Tell me what is your opinion :)
Have a good day

image.thumb.png.e9424472536ff48c9bfebeaaeedc418f.png

I didn't find the exact info, would you have a link ? If so, the design would be even more durable
From what I gathered : when they use the lavatory it is so, but I didn't find how much they produce when they have no access to it. I found 2kg just by looking how much polluted ice there were per mess.

This is my rough idea of how I want my vanilla late-game bases to work, when (if) I finally launch my first rocket. Put them in insulated boxes with a conveyor rail and vent system, for food and oxygen, and then pour near-absolute super coolant around them, and then I can't ever have my colony die.

4 hours ago, Hokaeru said:

therefore 7.5kg of water

Somehow a factor of ten got lost here, you need 75kg of water per cycle. I like the idea though, you have 70-80 practical cycles of water (or more if the chamber is made one tile taller), but balancing the water output from the turbine with power generation and heat generation (from cooling the environment) might be tricky.

No sterile atmosphere should be needed as -70 C temperatures preserve food through refrigeration.

15 hours ago, Peter Han said:

After pondering spacefarer rocket concepts for a while, I hit upon a crazy idea, based on my experience with the 100K Challenge asteroid.

Behold, the "Deep Freeze":

This is both exceptionally funny and really, really ingenious! I salute you!

I am also very sure the devs never thought of this one.

4 hours ago, Hokaeru said:

I didn't find the exact info, would you have a link ? If so, the design would be even more durable
From what I gathered : when they use the lavatory it is so, but I didn't find how much they produce when they have no access to it. I found 2kg just by looking how much polluted ice there were per mess.

They pee more in the lavatory. I have observed that as well.

19 hours ago, Hokaeru said:

Space for improvement :
- the food storage at the bottom right seems to be useless (I used hydrogen for sterile atmosphere, I forgot how spoilage worked in oxygen, never use it...)

But I store all my food in a vacuum.. the tooltip on food says refrigerated and sterile when placed in a vacuum.. so.. Just find a way to leave a vacuum there and it should be fine..

7 minutes ago, ElectricStingray said:

So, if you move the conveyor loader, and deconstruct the ladder (does that do anything) you could fit an atmo suit dock and a mini gas pump in the bottom right! There's no checkpoint but that seems like a great idea

Without a checkpoint, they do not work or rather dupes will not put them on. 

13 minutes ago, Gurgel said:

Without a checkpoint, they do not work or rather dupes will not put them on. 

Yeah, but you can manually assign them to put it on, and with the station you can refill it. Not the most perfect solution, but when I'm doing a one man stand on an asteroid its not a bad idea at all.

image.thumb.png.6f7232fef68c2bc43415ef2214de57d1.png

I did it here without losing the room bonus, however at the cost of the fridge, which I believe you technically do not need though.

After a few good suggestions from other players on Discord I made a few minor improvements:

image.png.d97a3cbdace61d698e10038e285bb497.png

The mess table is now accessible, and there is room for either a storage bin (shown) or an exo suit dock (by rotating the bottom door to vertical in place of the airflow and putting it bottom left).

unique and fresh look at this. Bravo.

I has a practical question. Dup "produces" polluted water ice, then it is brought into the steam chamber and it offgases polluted oxygen. Soon the topmost part of the steam chamber is filled with p oxygen and the turbine stops working. That is not a theoretical exercise as I used p water with a steam turbine to cool down volcano and quickly it stopped working. Here it will work a bit longer but we are talking about many cycles, right?

If you do not clean mess and let pee water bubble at the floor, it will produce more oxygen (no hydrogen part) and just keeping preserved food in a fridge allows the dup to live a long and warm life in the space.

On 12/4/2020 at 6:12 AM, Peter Han said:

At the minor cost of hypothermia

Warm sweater to the rescue! Another thing I use in DLC but never used in base game. :D (Otto "volunteered" to check it below)

Spoiler

Otto here, feels just fine in a room around -100 C. Chilly surrounding every now and then (probably the fault of CO2 instant freezing or a pocket of a little.. too freezing oxygen of -150 -oops!-) but surprisingly no hypothermia.

78804455_warmsweater.thumb.jpg.e2b562596dca250a16745be36b9c7b4a.jpg

*currently there seems to be a bug when equip/un-equip whatever dupes wear (atmo suits, snazzy suits for sure) and stats of equipment don't register properly. I don't know if it still exist or if it interferes with cold vest/warm sweater too, but save-reload would definitely register any stats of clothing if not before. Otto always wears his sweater so I couldn't check that.

Also, my experience of 100K challenge taught me that in freezing temperatures you always trade airflow tiles for mesh tiles.

Mesh tiles = Less "sopping wet" debuffs ;-)

Archived