Do you still enjoy playing single player

18 hours ago, WhackE said:

A lot of people have migrated to DST, it's getting updated, more people are playing it.

The amount of updates the games are getting is irrelevant. Even back when DSA was getting updated DST had way more players. DST always has and always will have more players because DST is faaaaar easier, DST allows you to play with your friends, DST allows you to get carried by strangers, and most people don't actually know why anyone would want to play DSA because they don't know the differences between DSA and DST. Also, I'm pretty sure the vast majority of DST players didn't "migrate", but simply never bought DSA because they either don't know why they would want to or do know why they would want to but simply don't care. These forums might be an exception since they're used by more dedicated Don't Starve players, but from what I've seen both in-game and on the Reddit it seems like most people only play DST.

But to get back to the question of the thread, if I'm playing singleplayer it's almost definitely in DSA. I usually don't play this game unless it's with my friends, though, so I usually play DST.

unfortunately about 2/3rds of my ds play is together but frankly it isnt super comparable for me. one game has clothes, skins unique chars and enjoyable group play while the other has beautiful worlds, unique chars, lovely colourations and loads of pretty decorations. i enjoy playing solo, yes, but it isnt at the expense of dst unless time is so meritus in the discussion that i should be adding squirm and diablo and the sims on there as well

One thing DS Solo has that DST does not that DST SHOULD have is a pause button, I can pause DS Solo long enough to go pee, get a soda, microwave a hot pocket, etc... In DST you have to leave the game and return to the main menu to effectively “pause” your game.

It is highly frustrating Especially when games from 2009 like Borderlands had a Global Pause Feature: As in if 3 out of 4 players had paused the game the game pauses, Or if the Server host pauses the game, the game pauses.

Players who are paused: Can vote to unpause or leave the game.

I honestly don’t see why this feature isn’t in the game yet, people already LEAVE the Game when they hear incoming hound waves leaving Me as the host to deal with their hounds on top of my own hounds.

Having a Pause button would be less exploitable.. and would actually allow me to go pee when playing DST and the only player in the server is myself.

A pause button is really the only reason I play DS solo over DST whenever I have to get up and leave the game often: A good example is when my sister had to cook thanksgiving dinner and kept calling me into the kitchen every few minutes to help her

I eventually got so tired of shutting my world down going to main menu, hosting world getting past loading screen, being called to help again having to exit world that I eventually just gave up and sat on the title screen not bothering to load my world because I knew I’d be called back into the kitchen.

Hopefully this reply is not considered as Off-Topic, being able to pause DST would be an amazing update, and aside from DLC worlds and characters, is the only reason I play DS Solo.

8 hours ago, Cheggf said:

The amount of updates the games are getting is irrelevant. Even back when DSA was getting updated DST had way more players. DST always has and always will have more players because DST is faaaaar easier, DST allows you to play with your friends, DST allows you to get carried by strangers, and most people don't actually know why anyone would want to play DSA because they don't know the differences between DSA and DST. Also, I'm pretty sure the vast majority of DST players didn't "migrate", but simply never bought DSA because they either don't know why they would want to or do know why they would want to but simply don't care. These forums might be an exception since they're used by more dedicated Don't Starve players, but from what I've seen both in-game and on the Reddit it seems like most people only play DST.

But to get back to the question of the thread, if I'm playing singleplayer it's almost definitely in DSA. I usually don't play this game unless it's with my friends, though, so I usually play DST.

apologies but what does DSA stand for

No, I pretty much quit DS a long time ago. Is the clunky kiting (inability to cancel action) and lack of skin usage from DST inventory that killed it for me (yeah, I can't stand to see same clothes all time - call me a "w*ore for fashion" if you will, I fully agree with such assessment). And is a shame, as Hamlet really seems interesting from what I tested in past Beta. If some QoL updates would address these 2 issues (make fighting DST-alike and put a wardrobe in game as a mean to access DST inventory if one is present - would also be a great way of advertising DST for DS crowds), I for one would be back to DS in a proverbial jiffy.

1 hour ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

No, I pretty much quit DS a long time ago. For me is the clunky kiting (inability to cancel action) and lack of skin usage from DST inventory that killed it for me (yeah, I can't stand to see same clothes all time - call me a "w*ore for fashion" if you will, I fully agree with such assessment). And is a shame, as Hamlet really seems interesting from what I tested in past Beta. If some QoL updates would address these 2 issues (make fighting DST-alike and put a wardrobe in game as a mean to access DST inventory if one is present - would also be a great way of advertising DST for DS crowds), I for one would be back to DS in a proverbial jiffy.

There’s just so much wrong with solo DS that needs fixing.. and instead of updating Solo DS Klei really should just add the content of DS (Like L4D2 did L4D1) into DST- I mean even the most basic stuff like items in your inventory not auto stacking themselves so you end up having annoying stacks of like 12 and then 4 gold.

This is highly annoying and just makes DS Solo feel like an ancient outdated dinosaur.

49 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

This is highly annoying and just makes DS Solo feel like an ancient outdated dinosaur.

and yet people still play DS:lol:(i would guess the reason is mainly because of shipwrecked,hamlet and adventure mode those are the three reasons i got DS myself)

2 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

(Like L4D2 did L4D1)

It is ironic that you would use these games as evidence that a complete backport and overwrite is possible, despite the "upgrade" the first game still retains unique mechanics and gameplay that can never be found in the sequel. 

This is comically similar to DS1 with SW and hamlet, actually.

15 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

One thing DS Solo has that DST does not that DST SHOULD have is a pause button, I can pause DS Solo long enough to go pee, get a soda, microwave a hot pocket, etc... In DST you have to leave the game and return to the main menu to effectively “pause” your game.

Spoiler

There's a mod for it :willow:

I enjoy both games for what they are, shipwrecked dlc has my favorite seasonal colour palettes and looks very beautiful as i like to make town resorts on each island with the tools I grab from hamlet. I love dst for its raid bosses, neat skin that can be used for mega basing and being more of a chill game with many ways revive and enjoy the game with my friends if they still played the game ha ha.

On 12/1/2020 at 9:32 PM, Cheggf said:

Updates do matter, people like to come back in flocks and experience the new content, and the improvements to content. 
Why are you calling it DSA? 
Why did Sunset Skye like this if you're ultimately agreeing with me (this one is sort of rhetorical.) 

Sadly no. Also for who says shipwrecked and hamlet, there is great mods make players able to play them with new dst mechanics and your friend.

Even if there wouldn't be any mod, it's still wouldn't worth.

2 hours ago, Slagger said:

Sadly no. Also for who says shipwrecked and hamlet, there is great mods make players able to play them with new dst mechanics and your friend.

Even if there wouldn't be any mod, it's still wouldn't worth.

Isnt worth to play a ds with 3 worlds woth world hopping and being able to reset shards?

2 hours ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

Isnt worth to play a ds with 3 worlds woth world hopping and being able to reset shards?

Spoiler

I Dont really think I need world hoping to be honest.. i would be perfectly happy if each of my 5 save slots could be used to host a different version of DS/DST.. I certainly don’t need to be able to travel between them and in DST that would be darn near impossible to do because it would have to be treated like Caves and Cave shards..

not worth it- but being able to travel between the worlds has never been what I’ve wanted, I simply just want like say a Vanilla save, a Hamlet save, a Shipwrecked save, a Gorge save, & a Forge save- 

All of which would be their own thing unconnected from one another.

There are mods that allows pc players to play these contents or at least some variation of these contents inside of their version of DST, All I as a console player ask is to have some official version of being able to get that same enjoyment.

Because outside of having the ability to pause the game, Outside of Adventures Mode and Pre-Return of them/reworks character playstyles- The only reason I play Solo DS is to play Hamlet/Shipwrecked or to play as the final 6 characters not currently playable in DST

Walani, Wilbur, Woodlegs, Wilba, Wheeler & Wagstaff.

however (and it should go without saying) that I’d love to be able to experience that content, those biomes, those mobs, and enjoy those playable characters in DST with a friend or two.

I look on the Klei Shop and I see Crabbit Plushies on sale that when purchased gives you a redeem code for an in-game Crabbit back pack.

But what if Klei used stuff like this as a way to directly fund officially adding Shipwrecked content into DST? 
As in being like a Kickstarter campaign to get the content brought to DST.. people who buy the plush support the funding in having SW compatibility in DST.

Me personally? If they released Walani into DST and a Belongings pack for several surfboard skins I’d buy that no questions asked.. but that’s only because next to Wendy she’s my second most favorite to play as. :(

I don’t know if my reply to this here would be considered as Off-Topic and I sincerely do not wish to derail threads and get warnings from Mr JoeW so I am choosing to spoiler tag this for convenience. 

16 hours ago, Shosuko said:

Reveal hidden contents

There's a mod for it :willow:

Those mods are buggy. Last time I tried to use one I made the mistake of pausing while it was raining. The game paused everything...except for the rain effects, which kept accumulating to the point the game crashed immediately when I unpaused it.

On 12/1/2020 at 1:22 PM, ArubaroBeefalo said:

I love single player but i wish klei decides to clean it. Have that many bugs that is unconfortable and frusttating o play...

Regarding bug fixes/quality of life improvements/balance, there are two mods that could help with that..

First, Ds Code Patch by Aptitude which contains over 200 bug fixes, along with a dozen quality of life improvements, to name a few : teleportato not resetting caves, world days getting desynced when crashing during loading screens, things growing over structures in the volcano, being able to remove volcanic fissures by using ice, etc..

Second, DS Balance Tweaks by me, 15 balance tweaks, couple bug fixes included, each tweak can be turned on/off via config screen, to name a few : Coffee nerfs, Quacken Buffs, Coffee bush randomly withering bug fix, fireflies visible at all times in caves, no meatballs with 2/3 ice, pumpkin lantern rework, etc..

Don't Starve - "Unofficial Updates" - General Discussion - Klei Entertainment Forums

I play both equally. The multiplayer option is kind of irrelevant to me since I don’t have any friends to play this game, and I can’t really play that often. Setting up a time when everybody can play together or trying to find decent players on a pub is too much trouble. Setting up a dedicated server is an incredible hassle. DS I can play for an hour here and there and still be able to do interesting things with bases over time. Visually, I am very tired of the Constant. Shipwrecked and Hamlet looks so much better, and DST can’t really escape the fact that it’s always going to be set in the Constant. There’s a new content, but it just isn’t as fresh visually. There aren’t as many new mobs, or new biomes. You’re still dealing with the same basic seasons.  The sailing mechanic in DST isn’t very fun. And because if I’m going to play DST, I have to play it alone, I’m always having to deal with the fact that the new bosses are scaled for multiplayer and are a pain to beat on your own. I still like the new characters in DST, and I am looking forward to jumping into the new farming mechanic at some point, but I’m surprised at how much single player engages me still.

Super useful but Off-Topic boss tip I’ve discovered-

Spoiler

Most DST bosses can be brought to their Knees with enough gunpowder/slurtle slim..

I used a calculator to do the maths of how much slurtle slim I would need to blow away half of Ancient Guardians Health’s, then I finished him out in what I felt was a fair balanced solo fight without cheese tactics.

from now on any boss I intend to battle alone will be blown nearly into Valhalla with Slurtle Slim.. & the Gathering of Slurtle Slims is super super easy.. you can pretty much acquire massive piles of it passively just by going idle in the right spot.. ;) 

8 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Hide contents

from now on any boss I intend to battle alone will be blown nearly into Valhalla with Slurtle Slim.. & the Gathering of Slurtle Slims is super super easy.. you can pretty much acquire massive piles of it passively just by going idle in the right spot.. ;) 

you should at least try the raid bosses with their normal health(well you know without using snurtle slime to get rid of ,most of their health)you might enjoy them.you never know 

i primarily play together because i love experiencing the game with a friend. i love base building together. i love starving together. i love tackling bosses together. i’ve collected a lot of skins to make our base pretty. i played dst first and went to single player when my friend couldn’t launch our world and i couldn’t get enough of the game. even then, i mostly played creative to see what i could make in our world when we were able to play dst together.

tl;dr together together together

4 minutes ago, Lunabuns said:

i primarily play together because i love experiencing the game with a friend. i love base building together. i love starving together. i love tackling bosses together. i’ve collected a lot of skins to make our base pretty. i played dst first and went to single player when my friend couldn’t launch our world and i couldn’t get enough of the game. even then, i mostly played creative to see what i could make in our world when we were able to play dst together.

tl;dr together together together

well good on you!

i personally don't have many friends and the ones i do have barely play DST so ive never really known how its like to play "don't starve together"with another human being 

Archived