[Game Update] - Cloud Saves Preview - 440073

• Developer

Hello! A small update before the weekend, we're upgrading another supporting system and want to make sure people have a chance to try it out over the weekend. Please let us know if you run into any issues!

Edit: Hotfixed to resolve a crash that was affecting most modded games (and some other cases too!)

Version 440073

• Fix crash when certain pop-up dialogs are displayed, including the "mods changed/updated" dialogs.

Version 440000

• Upgraded FMOD to 2.01.05 -- this fixes a startup crash on Linux
  • Updated strings for Chinese, Korean, Russian
  • Mods: Error message when failing to load a building now specifies the name of the building and the mod that it comes from.

View full update

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Confirmed. Now that the game start I could verify a string updated in one of the last snapshot.

STRINGS.UI.ENDOFDAYREPORT.NUMBER_OF_WILD_CRITTERS.*_TOOLTIP don't make sense:

- The message talks about domestic critters instead of wild ones,

- {1} is replaced by the critter name. The string becomes '(quantity) domestic critters live in (critter name)'

Edited by krop
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

oof my mods

the first dev branch patch broke printing pod manager, one before this broke better tooltips, now this one just broke mod updater, material color, wgsm, favorite resources... and just crashed again on load with no automatic mod unchecking, this is gonna be fun

edit: the output in case someone has an idea, I don't have any mods that should be popping up a dialog on startup (if I'm reading this correctly its related to that, maybe its the "mods changed" dialog?)

Spoiler

Error in ConfirmDialog(Clone).ConfirmDialogScreen.OnPrefabInit 
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at KModalScreen.ResizeBackground (UnityEngine.RectTransform rectTransform) [0x00027] in C:\jenkins_workspace\workspace\Preview_Simgame_Windows\game\Assets\scripts\ui\KModalScreen.cs:42 
  at KModalScreen.MakeScreenModal (KScreen screen) [0x0006d] in C:\jenkins_workspace\workspace\Preview_Simgame_Windows\game\Assets\scripts\ui\KModalScreen.cs:32 
  at KModalScreen.OnPrefabInit () [0x00008] in C:\jenkins_workspace\workspace\Preview_Simgame_Windows\game\Assets\scripts\ui\KModalScreen.cs:14 
  at ConfirmDialogScreen.OnPrefabInit () [0x00001] in C:\jenkins_workspace\workspace\Preview_Simgame_Windows\game\Assets\scripts\ui\ConfirmDialogScreen.cs:24 
  at KMonoBehaviour.InitializeComponent () [0x0007f] in C:\jenkins_workspace\workspace\Preview_Simgame_Windows\game\Assets\Plugins\Klei\util\KMonoBehaviour.cs:132 

UnityEngine.Debug:LogError(Object, Object)
Debug:LogError(Object, Object) (at C:/jenkins_workspace/workspace/Preview_Simgame_Windows/game/Assets/Plugins/Debug.cs:152)
DebugUtil:LogErrorArgs(Object, Object[]) (at C:/jenkins_workspace/workspace/Preview_Simgame_Windows/game/Assets/Plugins/Klei/util/DebugUtil.cs:191)
DebugUtil:LogException(Object, String, Exception) (at C:/jenkins_workspace/workspace/Preview_Simgame_Windows/game/Assets/Plugins/Klei/util/DebugUtil.cs:201)
KMonoBehaviour:InitializeComponent() (at C:/jenkins_workspace/workspace/Preview_Simgame_Windows/game/Assets/Plugins/Klei/util/KMonoBehaviour.cs:138)
KMonoBehaviour:Awake() (at C:/jenkins_workspace/workspace/Preview_Simgame_Windows/game/Assets/Plugins/Klei/util/KMonoBehaviour.cs:44)
UnityEngine.Object:Instantiate(GameObject, Transform, Boolean)
Util:KInstantiateUI(GameObject, GameObject, Boolean) (at C:/jenkins_workspace/workspace/Preview_Simgame_Windows/game/Assets/Plugins/Klei/util/Util.cs:280)
KScreenManager:AddChild(GameObject, GameObject) (at C:/jenkins_workspace/workspace/Preview_Simgame_Windows/game/Assets/Plugins/Klei/ui/KScreenManager.cs:236)
KScreenManager:StartScreen(GameObject, GameObject) (at C:/jenkins_workspace/workspace/Preview_Simgame_Windows/game/Assets/Plugins/Klei/ui/KScreenManager.cs:81)
KMod.Manager:Dialog(GameObject, String, String, String, Action, String, Action, String, Action, Sprite) (at C:/jenkins_workspace/workspace/Preview_Simgame_Windows/game/Assets/scripts/Mods/Mods.cs:1430)
KMod.Manager:NotifyDialog(String, String, GameObject) (at C:/jenkins_workspace/workspace/Preview_Simgame_Windows/game/Assets/scripts/Mods/Mods.cs:1618)
Game:OnSpawn() (at C:/jenkins_workspace/workspace/Preview_Simgame_Windows/game/Assets/scripts/game/Game.cs:678)
KMonoBehaviour:Spawn() (at C:/jenkins_workspace/workspace/Preview_Simgame_Windows/game/Assets/Plugins/Klei/util/KMonoBehaviour.cs:285)
KMonoBehaviour:Start() (at C:/jenkins_workspace/workspace/Preview_Simgame_Windows/game/Assets/Plugins/Klei/util/KMonoBehaviour.cs:243)

edit2: yep all mods off and it still errors out

Edited by DefectiveNu

same error happened with 0 mods enabled on this branch.
recently a mod was disabled (see: latent uninstall of mod), and when it is supposed to show the mods uninstalled dialog, it crashes instead: https://pastebin.com/pwcm7q4R
this log is from start menu, where it only triggers if my mod was disabled after a crash.
and it always triggers on world load too, for the mods changed dialog.

Edited by Akiart

This update breaks the game, totally unplayable.

Why the error log contains something like "C:\jenkins_workspace"? Usually this means your programers have made some terrible mistakes, these logs should never be there.

Error in ConfirmDialog(Clone).ConfirmDialogScreen.OnPrefabInit
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at KModalScreen.ResizeBackground (UnityEngine.RectTransform rectTransform) [0x00027] in C:\jenkins_workspace\workspace\Preview_Simgame_Windows\game\Assets\scripts\ui\KModalScreen.cs:42
  at KModalScreen.MakeScreenModal (KScreen screen) [0x0006d] in C:\jenkins_workspace\workspace\Preview_Simgame_Windows\game\Assets\scripts\ui\KModalScreen.cs:32
  at KModalScreen.OnPrefabInit () [0x00008] in C:\jenkins_workspace\workspace\Preview_Simgame_Windows\game\Assets\scripts\ui\KModalScreen.cs:14
  at ConfirmDialogScreen.OnPrefabInit () [0x00001] in C:\jenkins_workspace\workspace\Preview_Simgame_Windows\game\Assets\scripts\ui\ConfirmDialogScreen.cs:24
  at KMonoBehaviour.InitializeComponent () [0x0007f] in C:\jenkins_workspace\workspace\Preview_Simgame_Windows\game\Assets\Plugins\Klei\util\KMonoBehaviour.cs:132

UnityEngine.Debug:LogError(Object, Object)
Debug:LogError(Object, Object) (at C:/jenkins_workspace/workspace/Preview_Simgame_Windows/game/Assets/Plugins/Debug.cs:152)
DebugUtil:LogErrorArgs(Object, Object[]) (at C:/jenkins_workspace/workspace/Preview_Simgame_Windows/game/Assets/Plugins/Klei/util/DebugUtil.cs:191)
DebugUtil:LogException(Object, String, Exception) (at C:/jenkins_workspace/workspace/Preview_Simgame_Windows/game/Assets/Plugins/Klei/util/DebugUtil.cs:201)
KMonoBehaviour:InitializeComponent() (at C:/jenkins_workspace/workspace/Preview_Simgame_Windows/game/Assets/Plugins/Klei/util/KMonoBehaviour.cs:138)
KMonoBehaviour:Awake() (at C:/jenkins_workspace/workspace/Preview_Simgame_Windows/game/Assets/Plugins/Klei/util/KMonoBehaviour.cs:44)
UnityEngine.Object:Instantiate(GameObject, Transform, Boolean)
Util:KInstantiateUI(GameObject, GameObject, Boolean) (at C:/jenkins_workspace/workspace/Preview_Simgame_Windows/game/Assets/Plugins/Klei/util/Util.cs:280)
KScreenManager:AddChild(GameObject, GameObject) (at C:/jenkins_workspace/workspace/Preview_Simgame_Windows/game/Assets/Plugins/Klei/ui/KScreenManager.cs:236)
KScreenManager:StartScreen(GameObject, GameObject) (at C:/jenkins_workspace/workspace/Preview_Simgame_Windows/game/Assets/Plugins/Klei/ui/KScreenManager.cs:81)
KMod.Manager:Dialog(GameObject, String, String, String, Action, String, Action, String, Action, Sprite) (at C:/jenkins_workspace/workspace/Preview_Simgame_Windows/game/Assets/scripts/Mods/Mods.cs:1430)
KMod.Manager:NotifyDialog(String, String, GameObject) (at C:/jenkins_workspace/workspace/Preview_Simgame_Windows/game/Assets/scripts/Mods/Mods.cs:1618)
Game:OnSpawn() (at C:/jenkins_workspace/workspace/Preview_Simgame_Windows/game/Assets/scripts/game/Game.cs:678)
KMonoBehaviour:Spawn() (at C:/jenkins_workspace/workspace/Preview_Simgame_Windows/game/Assets/Plugins/Klei/util/KMonoBehaviour.cs:285)
KMonoBehaviour:Start() (at C:/jenkins_workspace/workspace/Preview_Simgame_Windows/game/Assets/Plugins/Klei/util/KMonoBehaviour.cs:243)

Edited by nonoroazoro

[07:16:32.325] [1] [INFO] Screen resolution updated, saving values to prefs: 1920x1080 @ 144, fullscreen: True
NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at KModalScreen.ResizeBackground (UnityEngine.RectTransform rectTransform) [0x00001] in C:\jenkins_workspace\workspace\Preview_Simgame_Windows\game\Assets\scripts\ui\KModalScreen.cs:38 
  at KModalScreen.OnResize () [0x00001] in C:\jenkins_workspace\workspace\Preview_Simgame_Windows\game\Assets\scripts\ui\KModalScreen.cs:74 
  at (wrapper delegate-invoke) <Module>.invoke_void()
  at ScreenResize.TriggerResize () [0x0000f] in C:\jenkins_workspace\workspace\Preview_Simgame_Windows\game\Assets\scripts\game\Rendering\ScreenResize.cs:38 
  at ScreenResize.LateUpdate () [0x00054] in C:\jenkins_workspace\workspace\Preview_Simgame_Windows\game\Assets\scripts\game\Rendering\ScreenResize.cs:29 

(Filename: C:/jenkins_workspace/workspace/Preview_Simgame_Windows/game/Assets/scripts/ui/KModalScreen.cs Line: 38)

I have a "sometimes" crash with the neural vaccilator: When you get the pop-up with the description what the dupe got, press ESC. That seems to crash things in about 50% of cases. Closing the pop-up with the mouse seems to work reliably. 

Edited by Gurgel
  • Happy Hazard 1

1 hour ago, nonoroazoro said:

Why can't you just revert this update so that I can enter my game??? How long should I wait for your fix???

Just turn off the beta branch, obviously

4 minutes ago, aresd said:

Just turn off the beta branch, obviously

I can't load my save on 420700 if I turn off the beta branch as my save file version is 43xxxx.

I've found a way to manually modify the header version of the save file, so, will never join the preview anymore.

5 minutes ago, nonoroazoro said:

I can't load my save on 420700 if I turn off the beta branch as my save file version is 43xxxx.

I've found a way to manually modify the header version of the save file, so, will never join the preview anymore.

then it's entirely your fault. This is beta and is installed at your own risk. The developers regularly warn about this that this can lead to the breakage of the save. Why was it necessary to open a valid base in the beta version? Even without a backup.

On 10/30/2020 at 12:16 AM, Ipsquiggle said:

!! ATTENTION TESTERS !! While we're doing our absolute best to never ever delete your save files accidentally, part of the reason for this public testing is so that we can make sure save migration is as safe as can possibly be. In other words, Please Make a Backup Of Your Save Files before joining the public testing branch, and let us know right away in the bug forums if you encounter any issues with migrating and syncing saves.

Thank you so much for helping us out with this. We're all looking forward to finally getting cloud saves into the game. We know you've been asking for this for awhile!

Edited by aresd

8 hours ago, nonoroazoro said:

This update breaks the game, totally unplayable.

Why the error log contains something like "C:\jenkins_workspace"? Usually this means your programers have made some terrible mistakes, these logs should never be there.

Next time, please ask google first, then think about it, and then forget what you wanted to rand about.

Nope its entirely not what you think it is, and its 100% valid. 

And please dont grant those at KLEI for stupid. They are professionals, and they do know what they do. So in the future, ask yourself, what you could have gotten wrong, prior to accusing the devs as beeing morons.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, ToiDiaeRaRIsuOy said:

I am currently on preview branch 438694. Is it advisable to not update for now?

the last update broke the game completely

5 hours ago, fspades said:

How did you do that? I think I'll do the same.

1. Download HxD (https://mh-nexus.de/en/hxd/).
  2. Open save file in HxD.image.thumb.png.cf8242190eaf5ddb600569254dedb0d3.png
  3. Double click on any of the values (circled in screenshot. Note: mine are 420700 as they are already modified, latest version is 440000).
  4. Set one to 420700, the others should change.
  5. Save.
  6. Load game.
  • Like 1
  • Big Ups 1

13 hours ago, Gurgel said:

I have a "sometimes" crash with the neural vaccilator: When you get the pop-up with the description what the dupe got, press ESC. That seems to crash things in about 50% of cases. Closing the pop-up with the mouse seems to work reliably. 

Hitting esc in the load screen in-game does this too.

Repro: Menu, load game, click on save, load, then hit escape.

5 hours ago, ToiDiaeRaRIsuOy said:

I am currently on preview branch 438694. Is it advisable to not update for now?

I think the last update made things quite a bit more stable. A few people have game-breaking bugs though.

2 hours ago, spkthed said:

Hitting esc in the load screen in-game does this too.

Repro: Menu, load game, click on save, load, then hit escape.

I think I may have had that one too, but just once.

I haven't seen the serious issues people are talking about above, everything seems to run smoothly for me - perhaps something weird with certain computer builds or...? I'm not sure. I did manage to replicate the crash on ESC that others are reporting, if you load a save, then open the menu, go to "Load" again, pick a colony, and then hit ESC before picking a save file, it will crash with a "TogglePause has already been consumed" error. I assume the colony save selection dialog and the in-game pause menu are both trying to eat the input at the same time.

Beyond that, also cross posting from the other cloud saves thread for visibility, since this post was on 440000 and I posted it in the wrong thread, and it's related specifically to colony save conversion/cloud saves:

Ran into an error during conversion (using the "convert all to cloud" button). Error message is included below (attached screenshot #1)!

To clarify the situation, I had an old backup (copy-paste) of my Greenworld colony in the same save folder as the primary saves, and the backup save was named Greenworld (1).sav. It looks like the conversion to colony-centric saves split Greenworld (1).sav off into it's own colony, but tried to keep that separate colony using the Greenworld name, which ended up with me having two separate colonies in the list named Greenworld (even though they were the same one, just one was a very early backup). It then threw an error when it tried to create the directory for the second one, as it had already created one for the actual, original Greenworld.

I closed that error and all of them showed as Cloud saves despite the error, and clicking the button again didn't do anything. There were no errors in the Steam uploading process after I closed the game, and it looks like all of the saves are still there, separated into their own colonies, and marked as Cloud after restarting the game, so perhaps it succeeded but just threw an error on directory creation and didn't error out of the entire process.

I did some further investigating, and it looks like the Greenworld (1) save is now located in the same folder as the primary (newer) Greenworld saves even though they're separated out into different colonies. So far it hasn't caused any issues, but I suspect there could be some conflicts between auto saves or primary saves if the file names conflict, which could be very bad for someone down the line (see screenshot #2 for folder structure showing this). If I was to load the oooold backup Greenworld, for instance, it might start overwriting the autosaves in my other Greenworld colony.

So, I suspect the fault lies in the original Colony save separation rather than the Cloud upload process - Greenworld (1).sav was considered a unique colony, even though it had the same name as another one. That works for me, I actually have no problem with it being split out, but it shouldn't have an identical name. It's likely good to do some verification on duplicate colony names to ensure there isn't filename conflicts when transferring saves to new folders, and either ask the user to rename one colony or automatically rename one with a postfix when doing the transition.

If there's any other info I can get you, I'm happy to help! Other than this conflict, everything looks great on my end, both colonies loaded successfully and everything in game looks like it's running great (though I'm running on a Windows machine, so I got to avoid the errors discussed above). :)

ONI Cloud Upload.png

ONI Cloud Upload 2.png

Edited by Beowulfe

This game crashes solely due to mods and mod notifications. The created new colony without mods works and loads from the save without any problems. Old maps, which I played without mods, also run without problems. Any save in which there is a mention of a mod is a crash.

An another problem I never noticed before: During game load after playing a while, the music may drop out several times. (Windows 10).

1 hour ago, aresd said:

This game crashes solely due to mods and mod notifications. The created new colony without mods works and loads from the save without any problems. Old maps, which I played without mods, also run without problems. Any save in which there is a mention of a mod is a crash.

Not true. The crashes on ESC I described above are without any mods. (Windows 10)

16 minutes ago, Gurgel said:

Not true. The crashes on ESC I described above are without any mods. (Windows 10)

I didn't understand anything from your long post. Google has an eternal problem - if you feed a translator a long text, with a high degree of probability, you will understand nothing :D